Magic Online Player Rewards Discussion

539 posts / 0 new
Last post
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=magic/online/rewards/welcome
Mike Gills wrote:
Earn Promo Cards!

Starting July 1st, the Magic Online Player Rewards offers players the chance to earn digital promo cards for their activity in Magic Online. From playing in events to making purchases in the Magic Online store to just logging in, players can choose how they earn their rewards.

What is the Magic Online Player Rewards program?

This program rewards Magic Online customers for their online activity. Participants will receive:

* Promotional cards added directly to your Magic Online account
* A monthly personalized newsletter that shows your current point level and other detailed statistics (if you choose to allow Wizards of the Coast to contact you)
* Other potential rewards in the future

Who can join it? How much does it cost?

This program is open to anyone who owns a Magic Online account that is in good standing and meets the Magic Online Player Rewards eligibility requirements. We only ask for the a valid email address (so that we can use to contact you about the program).

The Eligibility Requirements and Official Terms of the program can be found here http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1869.

How do I sign up for the program?

You must read through the Magic: The Gathering Online® Player Rewards Program Official Terms and if you agree that you are eligible then you just click on the “I am eligible for the Magic Online Player Rewards Program” button in your Magic Online game client.

Why is an email address required?

First, this is how we verify that you are the owner of the Magic Online account that you are receiving rewards for. Your account’s security is important to us.

Second, by having your correct email address, we can send you benefit notifications, along with other tournament information and news items in the upcoming MTGO newsletter. You can choose not to have these notifications and news items sent to you, but we think you'll find these to be a solid benefit. The email address is also required in case we need to contact you regarding the status of your membership or changes in the program.

If an email is returned due to an invalid email address, we may withhold or cancel membership benefits. Please update any change in your personal information in the Magic Online game client or by contacting Wizards of the Coast Game Support.

When do you hand out the promo cards?

The previous month’s benefits will usually be awarded to all eligible players during the earliest scheduled downtime of each new month. Following this downtime, any cards you have earned will be available in your collection when you log in to your account.

What exactly will be in the personalized newsletter?

Your personalized newsletter will show you exactly how many Magic Online Player Rewards points you have earned and what rewards you have already qualified for that month. In addition it will contain varying personalized game play and collection statistics about your account.

What types of promo cards will be given out in this program?

A wide variety of promo card types will be available. These range from, but are not limited to, well known promo cards previously released in paper Magic, premium foil versions of cards, alternate art cards, and textless spells.

How do I get the promo cards?

Promo cards are added directly to your collection during the 1st downtime of each month. The number promo cards you receive is determined by the number of Rewards points you have earned the previous month. Magic Online Player Rewards Points are earned for the following activities:

* You receive 1 reward point each time you log in to your Magic Online account (maximum of 1 point per 24 hour period and 5 points per month)
* You receive a varying number of rewards points for participating in Magic Online tournaments. The number of points earned is based on the number of players that were in that event when it began. You earn these points regardless of how many rounds you actually play in as long you compete in at least the minimum number listed below.

# in Tournament Reward Points Minimum Rounds Played
2 1 1
3 - 4 2 1
5 - 8 3 1
9 - 16 4 1
17 - 32 5 2
33 - 64 6 2
65 - 128 7 2
129 - 256 8 2
257 - 512 9 2
513+ 10 2

For example, if you joined a 32-player event and dropped after 2 rounds you would earn 5 Reward points. If you drop after 1 round you would not earn any Rewards points as you did not participate in the required minimum number of rounds.

* You receive 1 reward point for every full $1.00 US (excluding coupons, shipping, and taxes) that you spend in the Magic Online Store

Your Magic Online Player Rewards points accrual for any given month begins on the 1st of the calendar month or on your Sign-up Date (whichever is later) and ends on the last day of the calendar month. Your Sign-up Date is the date that we activate your membership (not necessarily the date you created your Magic Online account). At the next monthly disbursement, we will total the number of points you have accumulated and grant your rewards using the guidelines below. Any Magic Online Player Rewards points opportunities that have occurred before you sign up for the reward program will not be counted towards determining your monthly rewards.

How many promo cards will I earn for my rewards points each month?

You will receive one promo cards for each of the following points tiers that your reach. Tiers are cumulative, so if you reach Tier 9 you will receive one copy of each promo card for the month.

* Tier 1 (5 rewards points earned) - 1 random alternate art land card
* Tier 2 (10 rewards points earned) - 1 random premium foil alternate art land card
* Tier 3 (20 rewards points earned) - 1 previously released promo card
* Tier 4 (40 rewards points earned) - 1 new Tier 4 promo card
* Tier 5 (80 rewards points earned) - 1 premium foil copy of the Tier 4 promo card
* Tier 6 (160 rewards points earned) - 1 new Tier 6 promo card
* Tier 7 (320 rewards points earned) - 1 premium foil copy of the Tier 6 promo card
* Tier 8 (640 rewards points earned) - 1 new Tier 8 promo card
* Tier 9 (1280 rewards points earned) - 1 premium foil copy of the Tier 8 promo card

After an account reaches Tier 9 (1280 points), any additional points accumulated on that account start over at Tier 1 rewards (1285 points earns an additional Tier 1 reward, at 1290 an additional Tier 2 reward, and so on).

What are the next promo cards that I can earn?

July 2009 The Tier 1 and 2 alternate art land promo cards are the first set of released APAC lands, originally released in 1998.

The Tier 3 promo card is the non-foil version of the Wooly Thoctar, originally released as a premium foil version for the 2008 Magic Online Holiday promotion.

The Tier 4 and 5 promo card is Kid Ape, originally released for Friday Night Magic in 2005.

The Tier 6 and 7 promo card is Psychatog, originally released for Magic Player Rewards in 2004.

The Tier 8 and 9 promo card is a textless Damnation, originally released for Magic Player Rewards in 2007.

How often are these reward cards changed? Will these cards only be available for a limited time?

The Tier 1 and 2 alternate art land cards will be updated every 3 months. The Tier 3 reissued promo card and the Tier 4 through 9 promo cards will be updated every month.

Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to rerelease promo cards as needed.

What about my lifetime points? What can I do with them?

In addition to tracking your monthly activity and rewarding it with promo cards as explained above, we will keep track of your lifetime points (total points earned since Magic Online relaunched in April 2007).

Additional program benefits based on lifetime points are under development and will be added to this program after its initial launch

Discuss!

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Is anyone except dealers ever going to get to Tier 8 or 9?

Does seem a little heavily weighted on the purchase end. I'd like to see no monthly login limit (so you can get 30) and tournament rewards scale with the square of the rounds instead of linear with the number of rounds.

Also: note that the terms limit participation to US citizens physically located in the US. However, I have a feeling that will be handled in the same manner as tournament prize eligibility restrictions ;)

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Congrats bots!

Yes.
I'm excited that they've done this, although I'll probably rarely break past tier 3. At first glance, it seems like I like the way the paper rewards program works a little better (every 5 events = random textless spell + random older card, every 20 events = premium foil).

The paper system is nice (for me) because I don't always get to play in lots of events so having my points carry over is a big bonus. I see that they're planning on doing something with lifetime points in the future, so that will probably make me happy enough.

All that said, I'm glad to have it, or anything else that can make MTGO more attractive. I'm sure it will be a lot better than I'm imagining it will be, since that is usually the case.

Edit: OK that sounded a little more negative than I wanted it to. I appreciate all the work that goes into MTGO, including this, and am thrilled to have it and any new things which add to the online experience. Thanks, WoTC, for listening to your customers and adding this program, and continuing to improve Magic Online.
Tier 9 =
427 drafts or
320 16 player queues
256 Daily events with Less than 32 players
213 Events with > 32 players

To put it into perspective of the average players....
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
Tier 9 =
427 drafts or
320 16 player queues

Assuming you don't buy any product from the store for those events :D

Edit: P.S. after losing your job and family, you're only out like $600-$700 depending on how good you get after those 50-75 drafts in a single month. And you get a sweet foil textless Damnation.
SWEEEEEEET!!!!

I love free stuff. Thank you WotC!

:P
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)
Assuming you don't buy any product from the store for those events :D

Edit: P.S. after losing your job and family, you're only out like $600-$700 depending on how good you get after those 50-75 drafts in a single month. And you get a sweet foil textless Damnation.

The good thing is that without the family you'll have a lot more time to spend on MTGO!
I think this is a good program. Sucks for the oversea's folks as they'll be relegated to the secondary market (or they can ignore the rules, I guess, but being as this was heavily covered by legal they may actually keep an eye out for rules-breakers...)

Let's see a quick breakdown of what I expect to be an average player.
Logs in at least five times a month: 5 points, free land.
Buys a draft set from the WotC store 13.97, + 13 points = 18 Points Foil Land
Joins an 8 player draft: + 3 Points = 21 Points, previously released promo card

For logging in five times, buying a draft set, and drafting you'll get:
1 Regular Land, 1 Foil Land, 1 Promo Card. That seems pretty fair if you ask me...
Tier 9 =
427 drafts or
320 16 player queues

so um.. you have to spend a lot at the stores

I mean 7 Daily events per day???
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
It's worth noting that totals are monthly but you can alter your behavior to weight it. If you on average spend $200 a month at the store, pre-purchase your second month's worth at the end of the previous one and you'll already be tier 7 without counting tournaments entered.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Thanks, MOL Team!

Lessee, 5 ponts for logins, 8 drafts per month 24 points, average cost of $8.00 per draft 64 points, so tier 5?
Thank you, Erik.
Thanks, MOL Team!

Lessee, 5 ponts for logins, 8 drafts per month 24 points, average cost of $8.00 per draft 64 points, so tier 5?

I came to this post for the free cradz...

Yeah, spending money jumps you pretty fast, faster than playing in normal events, anyway....
Not bad, however I'm a bit sad to note that I will never ever reach tier 9 or 8 or probably even 5...

I'm anxious to know what the 'lifetime points' rewards will entail.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I came to this post for the free cradz...

Yeah, spending money jumps you pretty fast, faster than playing in normal events, anyway....

As a business manager, I must admire this aspect of the program.

Encouraging spending money over all other things sounds like a sure recipe for a profitable impact on WOTC.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. R. A. Heinlein - 1907-1988. My (now not-so) new sig. - adopted to celebrate certain events at WOTC culminating in April 2008. Now also celebrating other idiotic events in August 2009.
It seems that most of us won't be lucking into a Vindicate or some such out of this program, but one can never complain about free stuff. Maybe we'll be able to sell promos for a ticket or two each month. And some of them will no doubt be too pretty to sell, so I'll have to throw them into singleton decks.

It will be interesting to see what these cards' market values end up being. If the top tiers are expensive enough, some people will probably invest the $640 or $1280 into MTGO that it takes to buy a whole bunch of packs or tickets, get the promos, then sell all the pax/tix off so they can repeat next month. If that happens, it will be interesting to see if it has an appreciable effect on the market, and Wizards will love having that working capital tied up in MTGO.
Tier 9 =
427 drafts or
320 16 player queues

So how does Worth figure that an average player can get Tier 8 or 9?
I dont really have $500-$600 US to spend on magic each month (not to mention the time to play 50 odd events!)

....Oh wait, I'm not in the USA so I'm not able to participate
....sorry I'll just go sit at the back of the bus.
Thanks, MOL Team!

Are you buying from the Online store?

Logins = 5 points

Draft material = ($3.99 x 3 packs) + ($1 x 2 tickets) = $11.97 + $2.00 = $13.97 = 13 points

8 drafts per month, Store purchases = $13.97 * 8 = $111.76 = 111 points

8-player draft = 3 points per draft

8 events per month = 3 points x 8 drafts = 24 points

TOTAL: 5 + 111 + 24 = 111 + 29 = 140 points, Tier 5 (a new PR2 Common promo, foil, plus Tier 1-4 promos)

Only 20 more points until Tier 6 (new PR2 Uncommon promo) using those calculations.

Had to calculate it out myself step by step. But that gives perspective on what kind of money it'll end up taking to get to level 9 unless you're constantly entering tournaments for practically nothing all month long.

EDIT: Figuring in Sealed queues...

Logins = 5 points

Sealed Deck material = ($3.99 x 6 packs) + ($1 x 2 tickets) = $23.94 + $2.00 = $25.94 = 25 points

8 sealed deck per month*, Store purchases = $25.94 * 8 = $207.52 = 207 points

8-player sealed deck = 3 points per event

8 drafts per month = 3 points x 8 events = 24 points

TOTAL: 5 + 207 + 24 = 207 + 29 = 236 points, Tier 6 (a new PR2 Uncommon promo, non-foil, plus Tier 1-5 promos)

Even for Sealed Deck, doing that many events a month, it'll take 84 more points to reach Tier 7, a new PR2 Uncommon foil.
Well since the program only runs 12 months average spenders should wait until the Tier 9 reward is something that you really want, then spend your yearly MTGO budget that month and get 2 sets! (ok maybe a tier 9 and a tier 8) then you can sit back and enjoy till 1 July 2010 and the release of the next PRP (Player Reward Program or Profit Raking Plan ... your choice!)

Still nice to get some free stuff that doesnt require you to have to win.

....Oh yeah, I forgot I'm not US based ... No cards for me!
I am not, and do not have much chance of becoming, a resident of the US. As such, I am completely ineligible for this reward program.

Nonetheless, as something of significant benefit to the community at large, I support and applaud this endeavour. I will always be in favour of initiatives that grant free stuff to the MTGO community, and an initiative like this which rewards activity and fiscal support for the program has been a long time coming. I will not get there with you, but soon, everyone in the US that logs in 5 times a month will get their promised land.

To those responsible, keep doing what you're doing.
Yes.

Worth...please explain your figures!

Also if you could define what non-US players are, you've said that "yes" non-trader (one would assume average) players can reach Tier 9, but as non-US players are not eligeble, then we can't reach Tier 9 (by exclusion) so by definition we are not average (or at least not traders)!
Worth...please explain your figures!

Also if you could define what non-US players are, you've said that "yes" non-trader (one would assume average) players can reach Tier 9, but as non-US players are not eligeble, then we can't reach Tier 9 (by exclusion) so by definition we are not average (or at least not traders)!

Please don't ask any WotC member to comment on non-US players. It's called plausible deniability. See also: prize eligibility.

Also, Worth didn't say an "average" player could reach Tier 9, he said there are some non-dealers that will do it. I fully believe there are people out there that will play and spend enough combined to reach the Tier 9 threshold, but it will certainly not be an "average" user.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Please don't ask any WotC member to comment on non-US players. It's called plausible deniability. See also: prize eligibility.

Also, Worth didn't say an "average" player could reach Tier 9, he said there are some non-dealers that will do it. I fully believe there are people out there that will play and spend enough combined to reach the Tier 9 threshold, but it will certainly not be an "average" user.

I concede the point about "average" but I would still like Worth's calculations on how a non-trader will reach Tier 9...it would be interesting to see what level of player they are aiming for.

Also it would be nice to know why non-US players should keep tipping funds into a game where they are second class citizens...certainly not worthy of rewards (bit cynical I know but the exchange rate isnt great at the best of times).
I concede the point about "average" but I would still like Worth's calculations on how a non-trader will reach Tier 9...it would be interesting to see what level of player they are aiming for.

I don't think it's a calculation, I think he just has access to everyone's spending habits, and can see that there are non-dealer players that apparently spend $1,000 a month in the store.
Also it would be nice to know why non-US players should keep tipping funds into a game where they are second class citizens...certainly not worthy of rewards (bit cynical I know but the exchange rate isnt great at the best of times).

*sigh*

You have no idea what I said, do you?

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I don't think it's a calculation, I think he just has access to everyone's spending habits, and can see that there are non-dealer players that apparently spend $1,000 a month in the store.

Can I have their e-mails? cause i got some lovely swamp front condos for them to invest in!
*sigh*

You have no idea what I said, do you?

Plausable deniability...so how can they post and enforce terms and conditions that they cant comment on?

Answer that and stay fashionable!

(I know then we wouldnt get prizes at all... blah...blah....US law....blah....better for all....blah.....still block me when I say @^$@^&*.....blah)
Are you buying from the Online store?

Yup, I buy from the store, but I use my average of 1.5 packs per draft winnings to do the next draft.
Thank you, Erik.
The whole non-US prize things seems a bit at odds with the fact that paper MtG runs events in other countries
Yup, I buy from the store, but I use my average of 1.5 packs per draft winnings to do the next draft.

Glad that works out for you...some of us dont get a win ratio that is meaningful (in terms of boosters)
The whole non-US prize things seems a bit at odds with the fact that paper MtG runs events in other countries

Internet laws are VERY different than in-person laws.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
What? non us players cant get the rewards card? Seriously?
I'm kind of curious as to the effect on the secondary market.

In my case, I will spend about $10-20 a month on average. Usually, I will go straight to the dealers and get a discount on using PayPal over tickets. However, if I like a particular month's promos -- I'll probably buy store tickets instead and trade for the cards off of the bots instead.

Now a lot of the bots are run by the store dealers, but the markup is different.

I'll be curious to see what effects this program has on the buying and selling markets, both in game with tickets and out of game with dollars on the secondary market.

Later,

Don!
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
If my plans for this fall go according to plan, I could see myself hitting tier 9 (and I'm certainly not a dealer). I'm clearing my schedule and stockpiling my money to play as much Zendikar limited as humanly possible in the time between release (early October) and GP-Minneapolis (mid-November).

To reiterate in case anyone doesn't get what he is hinting at:

1. The promos will be granted automatically by a script of some sort, not by some enforcer digging through everyone's locational info.
2. Currently, the similar situation of the "are you eligible for prizes" prompt has the YES and NO button that are awfully close together. It is not inconceivable that some number of people in the "bad" states have clumsy mouse abilities and accidentally clicked on the wrong button.
Worth, what do you expect the average user to be able to make?

It seems to me that, if this is the Online mirror to paper's MPR, it seems most of these levels are unobtainable without spending hundreds of dollars, if not thousands, each month.

Could MOPR (Magic Online Player Rewards) not do a 3-month schedule for higher tiers, even if it means upping the total reward points needed but lower than a combined 3-month total? Lower-tier can change every month no problem (I think even I could do Tier 4 fairly easily, and I'm easily spending about $40-$60 per month in the store when releases aren't figured in), but over 600 points in one month each month for Tier 8? Yeesh!

Guess I'll have to start figuring out how much $$ I'll have to spend on tickets to get into sufficiently large-enough Constructed events and drop after Round 2 to get the reward points.
Time for a bit of trollnomics, been a while. Rough numbers here.

Over the last two months, MOL has been averaging 2,000 TE (total events, PEs, conqs, drafts, sealeds) per day.

Seems to be running 5:2 conqs:drafts, a total of 600 or so drafts per day.

600 drafts, 1400 conqs generate 18,000 points per day, 500,000 per

Each draft nets WotC $60 or so. Call it $35,000 a day, $1,000,000 per month.

1,500,000 points per month from draft spending and participation.

How many people in MOL?

50,000? That's an average of 30 points per person per month.

20,000? That's 75 points average.

There's prolly more players, there's certainly a lot more points i'm missing from rippers.
Thank you, Erik.
So, unless you're a foil hound, you can get the highest non-foil promo at 640 points.
That's high, but still somewhat doable if you buy your product from the store and play in large events.
I think we'll probably see a lot of people hitting T6 (at 160 points that's well within reach for serious players).

My question is; What kind of effect will this have on the secondary market?
Do you think dealers see a large drop off in business?

Guess what? Chicken butt.

How does this work with regard to multiple accounts? Do all points accumulate to a single "rewards recipient" via the associated email address or do any points stay with the individual accounts? Accumulation could be interesting for someone that splits their play between accounts (probably not to often now that ratings are gone) or in the context of clans.
Sign In to post comments