How Many ARB Pre-Release Events Will Fire

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
How many Alara Reborn pre-release events will fire this weekend? Make your guess here and possibly win something!

Whomever gets closest to the correct number will get a textless Disenchant from me sometime next week. If I guess correctly, I'll accept any donations you guys want to make to commemorate my awesomeness. Ties will be broken by post time. All guesses must be made before 2359 UTC on Friday. One guess per person. In the event the queue is interrupted for a substantial amount of time OR extended a substantial amount of time, the contest will be canceled and the prize awarded to a random contestant.

If you want to gripe about the prize structure or any other aspect of these events, please use the [thread=1186638]existing thread[/thread]. Any gripes about the events here will be relocated and the user DQ'd from the contest (my contest, I can DQ whomever I want).

My Guess: 135

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
31 16
4. Don't speak dumb, or you'll be struck dumb. Remember, the name of the game is heads I win, tails you lose.
# that "should" fire: 0

# that would be "reasonable" to fire: 5-8

# that will actually fire: 87
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Oh wait. Can I post my guess after the event ends?

In other words, what's the deadline for getting your guess in? Can you wait until a couple hours into it to gauge how quickly they are firing?

Personally, I think entries should only be accepted up to 1 hour before the first event fires. But that's just my suggestion.
Oh wait. Can I post my guess after the event ends?

In other words, what's the deadline for getting your guess in? Can you wait until a couple hours into it to gauge how quickly they are firing?

Personally, I think entries should only be accepted up to 1 hour before the first event fires. But that's just my suggestion.

Deadline added to first post (1 min before events begin).

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
If you want to gripe about the prize structure or any other aspect of these events, please use the [thread=1186638]existing thread[/thread].

What if I want to gripe about the prize structure of this event? :D
Just for perspective, 100 events would be 48,000 tickets consumed. I'm going to revise my original guess.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I'm agreeing with ahlyis' 'reasonible to fire', except I'm thinking that it really will be only: 6

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
My guess: 3
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. R. A. Heinlein - 1907-1988. My (now not-so) new sig. - adopted to celebrate certain events at WOTC culminating in April 2008. Now also celebrating other idiotic events in August 2009.
What if I want to gripe about the prize structure of this event? :D

That's perfectly acceptable.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
hmmm 29 hours of events... 6 per hour.... someone do the math???

oh ok.

that is my guess.

Wait no.... 329 is my new guess.... as of 7 minutes before start time.

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

I usually play as RogueDesigner.
My guess: 3

Shoot - that was going to be my guess. Okay 4.

I'm just betting on the ability of the program to choke on these new tournaments. I figure 1 will complete, 2 will lock and the rest will be abandoned, but I'll up that to two and two.

I suspect that the odds of this actually happening are really, really low, but it has a higher probability of being right than just saying 93.

;)

PRJ

I write State of the Program, appearing every Friday on PureMTGO.com.

How is it going to work with determining the winner? Is it "Price is Right" style, as in if you go over, you lose, or will it be whoever has the smallest value for |your guess-actual number fired|? The second makes more sense, but I sorta like the Price is Right version because it reminds me of Bob Barker.

Well, either way, I'll guess 137.

Also, help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered.
Captain of the Lotus Farmers - Yes you have my glove in your face! 420 Posts: 6/11/2010
If I guess 100, and then shut them off after the 100th one starts, is that cheating?

(Yes, everything except "after the 100th one starts" was a joke.)
If I guess 100, and then shut them off after the 100th one starts, is that cheating?

Ironically, nate would win if you did that. . .

An extremely poor type of cheating where you don't even win. Try picking a number someone else doesn't have.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Stand by... editing nate's post...

151 no more no less

lol

Even you cannot manipulate the adamantium.

P.S. Feel free to have events stop at 100 though.
4. Don't speak dumb, or you'll be struck dumb. Remember, the name of the game is heads I win, tails you lose.
Sign In to post comments