Price for the new dual lands on MED2 expansion ? take a guess...

384 posts / 0 new
Last post
any 1 have any idea what will be the price for the duel lands ?
Im juessing over 20tix each since they are real duel with no downside....
Ill take your juess
Ill take your juess

At the end of release events: 10tix each. Probably lower for the less needed/played ones.

A LOT of people are going to be playing sealed to get these, and there are only so many players online right now that will want these. Many will, but there's still a limited pool of players to buy these up.

We estimated that FoW wouldn't drop below 20 tix during release events... it went down to 12 and a bit lower.

MED2 will have release event championships, the first Champs for MTGO actually. That big prize and the big events leading up to it will inundate the market with singles. Like, a LOT of singles.

Also, if each dual is 20 tix, and necro is about that, the rest of the rare cards would have to be like, .2 tix each or something.

The average value of an opened pack usually levels out at about $2 (averaging all the rares, uncommons and commons you might open). Having $120 in rares, really pushes everything else down. A set can only have so many high cost rares before they start cannibalizing themselves. Economic theory and previous precedent make it very unlikely that the cards will remain above 10 tix each by the end of the release events.

Just a guess though.
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
20 the first few days, but yeah, they should settle around 10 (until MED 2 leaves the store, that is).
Well, there are a few other factors to consider:

1) MED2 is not designed for limited play, and so will likely be less attractive to the "play for fun" release crowd.

2) The MED2 release is the same time as the Shards prerelease, and is also during one of the busier times of year (for school and work).

3) People know that Force rocketed after supply was cut off. I wouldn't be surprised to see people hoarding duals as an investment.

4) FTV: Dragons just came out, depleting player's cash reserves.

There are way too many factors to make an accurate guess, but I'd put the bottom price at 13 tickets, which lasts about 3 days before they climb to around 19.
In addition to the good points that Emoticon pointed out, the overall value will depend on two more things:

• How many people will buy packs for a chance to get one of the 10 or so playable chase rares in the set. There is a ton of filler compared to MED I, IMHO.
  • How many people will start playing classic when their IPA and OTJ rotate out of Extended in Classic, driving demand for the dual lands.

1) MED2 is not designed for limited play, and so will likely be less attractive to the "play for fun" release crowd.

2) The MED2 release is the same time as the Shards prerelease, and is also during one of the busier times of year (for school and work).

3) People know that Force rocketed after supply was cut off. I wouldn't be surprised to see people hoarding duals as an investment.

There are way too many factors to make an accurate guess, but I'd put the bottom price at 13 tickets, which lasts about 3 days before they climb to around 19.

Actually, it plays far, far better than MED1 did. It's no Ravnica for sealed, but it's actually built to be decently playable for sealed. It's actually quite fun. More fun than MED1 was though.

The others might impact it a bit. Shards' release probably the most, however, there's a week to get into the Champs event. If there is a conflict I expect that Shards gets priority then the later week tourneys would fill a bit more. Hard to say though.
if Breeding Pool is about 14 tix I see no way these cards gonna cost less.
but its just my juess.
I think a price of 24 tix each is a good estimation atleast for the few first weeks.. but maybe im wrong
if Breeding Pool is about 14 tix I see no way these cards gonna cost less.
but its just my juess.
I think a price of 24 tix each is a good estimation atleast for the few first weeks.. but maybe im wrong

1) We only get allied-color duals in MED2
2) Breeding Pool will be playable in Extended for quite some time.
I would say that Tundra and Underground Sea will be the highest. It wouldnt suprise me that they will be at least 20 tix each with the rest around 18 or so.
I would say that Tundra and Underground Sea will be the highest. It wouldnt suprise me that they will be at least 20 tix each with the rest around 18 or so.

When?

At launch, yes.

During the release events, probably lower. Much lower.

After the release events they will likely start to climb back up again.

We had these same beliefs when Force of Will was being speculated upon. We discovered that we were really optimistic about the price it held during the release events.
They will be over 20 for the first day or two but then will drop like a rock.

That is how it always is on release day for every set. So don't buy them right away unless you are a millionaire and don't care.

And yes there is no reason for them not to be under Rav duals prices.

Why?

Well you can only use them in one format lowering their cost (now if they printed these for standard they would be well over 50 tix each. But they are not and that will never happen.

There are more ext players than classic (and rav duals can be used in either classic or ext).

So being that a card is better makes no difference. Tarmogoyf in the last few weeks went from 32 to 12. Why? Not cause its a bad card but because it is rotating out of std very soon. Otherwise it would still be 32

Also paper players practice online for ext because of PRo TOur Qualifiers. There are no classic PTQ's so paper players don't care about classic. Another reason why cards go up or down. It depends if they are in season or not. And with Classic they will never be in season.

So the Revised lands will drop but the Rav lands will go up around January for PTQ season.

Hope that helps.
Ill take your juess

Do your own market research. You can set your bots prices then.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Im guessing the underground sea will be around 10-12 tickets, the rest of them will be 8 or so with savannah around 5-6 tickets

Responding to point 1: It was designed for limited. It's still kind of rough, because of the pool they were workign with, but it is much better than MED. It's right near 10th in terms of playability.
I have had fun playing in it beta.
Honestly, 5 tickets or less. Classic is the least played of the three main formats and MTGO prices in general are extraordinarily low right now. On the other hand, supply may be lower and singleton players will want at least a few of them, so the prices could go higher than I suspect.
Honestly, 5 tickets or less. Classic is the least played of the three main formats and MTGO prices in general are extraordinarily low right now. On the other hand, supply may be lower and singleton players will want at least a few of them, so the prices could go higher than I suspect.

Take a guess at what format the most expensive cards online are.

Just a wild shot in the dark.

I do think it's awesome so many people think this though. I will be happy to take all the duals out our your hands for 5 tickets each. That's a standing offer for all time.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Start out at 35 and end around 10-15. Just a guess though.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Start out at 35 and end around 10-15. Just a guess though.

In that case Heath, you might as well sell me playsets now for 10 each instead of waiting.
;)

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Looks more like 23 if you go by my site.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Looks more like 23 if you go by my site.

Predicting price movements on cards like this will usually get you in a lot of trouble, but I will say one thing about the duals. They are practically the most played, most popular cards of all time. There are MANY casual players on MTGO. Thinking they will drop below 10? I doubt it.

Force of Will dropped to 12 if I remember correctly, for about 2 days, then it shot up again. If anything, these cards will hold their value more than FoW. Never underestimate the desire of casual players. You can make fun of cards like Might of Oaks perhaps, but people still like to play it.
Thinking they will drop below 10? I doubt it...

Hey I think they will drop to 3 each. Trust me guys, I'm a buyer.
Predicting price movements on cards like this will usually get you in a lot of trouble, but I will say one thing about the duals. They are practically the most played, most popular cards of all time. There are MANY casual players on MTGO. Thinking they will drop below 10? I doubt it.

Force of Will dropped to 12 if I remember correctly, for about 2 days, then it shot up again. If anything, these cards will hold their value more than FoW. Never underestimate the desire of casual players. You can make fun of cards like Might of Oaks perhaps, but people still like to play it.

(Bolded your part for focus.)

Force of Will = Only playable rare in a set with 60.

Dual Lands = 5 Playable rares in a set with at least 7 (more, really) out of 80.

Stop trying to spread paranoia. There aren't enough people stupid enough to think that Dual Lands will end up being worth as much as Force of Will is.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

There's only so much value that the averaged pool of rares can have by the end of the release events. Otherwise one can crack packs and sell the rares to break even and get free commons/uncommons.

Yes, casual players like them. Constructed Classic players like them.

Those two pools of players are still waaayyyyy lower than Standard players. However, we have a lot of goodies to participate in for the release events. There will be a lot of downward pressure on the prices of rares for MED2. Release events will mark the lowest point of the card prices by far and the guestimate of 10ish for the duals is what I expect to see happen. They will recover into the teens then the twenties pretty shortly after the end of the events though, I have to imagine.

The basic math of MTGO makes it highly, highly, highly unlikely they remain far above 10 by the end of the release events.

I could be wrong of course, but I'd be quite surprised to see all the duals remain above 10 by the end of the events.
(Bolded your part for focus.)

Force of Will = Only playable rare in a set with 60.

Dual Lands = 5 Playable rares in a set with at least 7 (more, really) out of 80.

Stop trying to spread paranoia. There aren't enough people stupid enough to think that Dual Lands will end up being worth as much as Force of Will is.

It's not paranoia. It comes from experience. It seems to me a lot of voices on this board are willing the prices downward. Sure, everyone wants to see lower prices, including dealers. There aren't many customers who can afford to spend $100 for a playset of duals. And no, I cannot afford to buy 100 of each, that's silly.

I'm not trying to move the market. To suggest that I could do so is either crazy, or very flattering. If it's flattery, I thank you, but I am not that influential.
It's not paranoia. It comes from experience. It seems to me a lot of voices on this board are willing the prices downward. Sure, everyone wants to see lower prices, including dealers. There aren't many customers who can afford to spend $100 for a playset of duals. And no, I cannot afford to buy 100 of each, that's silly.

I'm not trying to move the market. To suggest that I could do so is either crazy, or very flattering. If it's flattery, I thank you, but I am not that influential.

Actually the folks that are sounding off about the price are the same who expected that FoW would never, ever, no way no how, drop below 20 tix.

I mean, it's Force o' freakin' WILL!

We were fools. The fun of drafting whatever is 'new' is far greater than the demand for singles. Even the duals, I'm guessing.

Demand for the duals will do two things. Make the singles sell and make the sealed events fire with people going after them. More will be opened than able to be bought at 20 tix by the players who want them. This will push the prices down. I just don't see any way that it wont...
Actually the folks that are sounding off about the price are the same who expected that FoW would never, ever, no way no how, drop below 20 tix.

I mean, it's Force o' freakin' WILL!

We were fools. The fun of drafting whatever is 'new' is far greater than the demand for singles. Even the duals, I'm guessing.

Demand for the duals will do two things. Make the singles sell and make the sealed events fire with people going after them. More will be opened than able to be bought at 20 tix by the players who want them. This will push the prices down. I just don't see any way that it wont...

You seem pretty sure of yourself. We'll see. You haven't convinced me, anyways.

There are plenty of classic cards that actually rose over time. Two that I can think of right off the bat are Swords to Plowshares and Hymn to Tourach.

The only thing that moves prices of cards is supply vs. demand. Yes, the supply in the first few weeks of release will most likely cause the price of dual lands to drop. After that, supply will trickle while demand will remain more constant. Prices will rise. Thinking they can't possibly be worth 20 will get you into trouble, I think. Better to wait and see.
You seem pretty sure of yourself. We'll see. You haven't convinced me, anyways.

There are plenty of classic cards that actually rose over time. Two that I can think of right off the bat are Swords to Plowshares and Hymn to Tourach.

The only thing that moves prices of cards is supply vs. demand. Yes, the supply in the first few weeks of release will most likely cause the price of dual lands to drop. After that, supply will trickle while demand will remain more constant. Prices will rise. Thinking they can't possibly be worth 20 will get you into trouble, I think. Better to wait and see.

You must have missed where I said that they will climb back up (it was toward the beginning of the thread). I do believe that they will reclaim value after the release events.

Here's the MO for all cards on MTGO during their release events.

Start high, dip, dip, dip, crash, stabilize...
here's where they diverge:
Bad cards stay low. They will not gain much for a long time.
Decent cards recover a bit and start to slowly climb back up.
Good cards recover faster, and get close to the pre-crash price, but ususally don't go above the price that they started from. Some, rarely, go above their initial launch price and continue to climb. These have a few conditions that must exist before that can happen. The largest is that the card in question has to be surrounded by cards of much less demand. 'Goyf, Figure of Destiny, Bitterblossom. All were key cards for Standard decks and were in sets that didn't really have a lot else going for them.

That is not even close to the case for MED2. Five duals, Necro, Mana Crypt, Sea Drake, etc.

I will certainly be very interested to see where we are in a week, two weeks and three weeks from now.

I've been watching this trend for about two years now. Classic sets, standard sets, etc. And that's my guess. Of course I could be wrong and the casual demand somehow outstrips the amount that are going to be opened in the release events and drafts. I'd be surprised if I was too far off the target with the card prices though.

I do think it's awesome so many people think this though. I will be happy to take all the duals out our your hands for 5 tickets each. That's a standing offer for all time.

I'll pay 6. Let the bidding begin ;)
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
I suspect that prices for MED2 Singles will spike a bit after Shards comes out due to lack of cracked packs.... Drafters will switch to Shards as soon as that comes out however casual players (and the classic PEs) will drive the prices up a bit
I'm just going to use this thread to say: I bought a booster and got an Underground Sea and a foil Snow-Swamp. I really like MED2!! :D

That's a dumb question, because classic includes (almost) every card that is available online. I attribute the high prices of FoW, Vampiric Tutor and others to a low supply, rather than a higher demand. The question, of course, is whether low supply will also dictate prices for dual lands. Now that I think of it, yeah, it probably will more than I said earlier.

And I will never own original duals because I don't play classic, so I'll have to pass on your offer for all time.
I got a Necropotence and a foil Grandmother Sengir in a pack today.
Geek Lifestyle Blog: Watch Play Read Twitter
I have you all beat. My first pack of MED was FOIL Force of Will and Moat. In paper Moat is 80.00 and there is no Foil FOW in paper. I was very excited.
plitchas, I got you easily. beaten.

When MED came out I immediately bought 3 boosters and participated in a no-prize casual draft. I got locked out of the draft and could not get in. Logging out didn't help. I got dumped in the deck editor with a time elemental, 3x urza's chalice and a bunch of other crappy commons.

Of course Wizards didn't refund me anything. I vowed not to buy MED. I'm still furious to this day.
This one time, at Magic camp, I took a Starter and shoved it...

Duals will spike between now and Friday.
Of course if you are looking for foil duals you can pretty much set your own price, as I hear those foil collectors are NUTS!

As a member of the ME2 development team, it was most definitely designed for limited play. It may not be optimized as well as a set where the development team is designing cards from scratch, but card selections (especially at common) were definitely made with limited in mind.

I'd definitely encourage people to consider giving the drafts a try once they are up.
Lee Sharpe Data Analyst Wizards of the Coast
As a member of the ME2 development team, it was most definitely designed for limited play. It may not be optimized as well as a set where the development team is designing cards from scratch, but card selections (especially at common) were definitely made with limited in mind.

I'd definitely encourage people to consider giving the drafts a try once they are up.

Lee, I didn't think anything would get me to play anything outside type 2 after Time Spiral Block and Coldsnap dropped out. Well you got me. Well done on this set to you and the team. Your stock is rising Worth (ok well I can't do a good Austin Power's Dr. Evil quote).

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)

Count me wrong or pessimistic. But besides playability such a set needs chase rares and not only 6-7 of them. Compared to 10th Ed the number of them seems drastic low in MED2. Additionally, classic only cards are not even appealing the casual crowd. I dont think MED2 draft queues are going to fill for long, but i will still give a try as well.
Count me wrong or pessimistic. But besides playability such a set needs chase rares and not only 6-7 of them. Compared to 10th Ed the number of them seems drastic low in MED2. Additionally, classic only cards are not even appealing the casual crowd. I dont think MED2 draft queues are going to fill for long, but i will still give a try as well.

You are, of course, speaking for yourself and not all of the Classic players that I know.
By the way, there are 10ish chase cards:
Necropotence
Imperial Seal
Mana Crypt
Imperial Recruiter
Helm of Obedience
Badlands
Savannah
Taiga
Tundra
Underground Sea

not to mention Demonic Consultation, Personal Tutor, Counter Spell, ESG, StP, Diabolic Vision, Brainstorm, Portend and the Basic Snow lands.

Seriously, there's a lot of decent stuff in here, especially for the people who didn't buy the CS precons. It's a well put together set. Much better then MED1.