Lack of MTGO lots on Ebay??

282 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone noticed there are only 10 or so current lots on Ebay for the search "MTGO"?

Has WOTC pulled a WOW and not going to allow items from the game to be sold on Ebay???? If so, this can't be good for the already struggling economy on MTGO........
Anyone noticed there are only 10 or so current lots on Ebay for the search "MTGO"?

Has WOTC pulled a WOW and not going to allow items from the game to be sold on Ebay???? If so, this can't be good for the already struggling economy on MTGO........

Actually, it was the other way around. When Ebay banned all sales of online game goods, MtGO was reinstated because we do have the right to transfer them to other players.
4. Don't speak dumb, or you'll be struck dumb. Remember, the name of the game is heads I win, tails you lose.
I noticed this too (now down to 8 items for sale). My guess: eBay was getting a lot of complaints from people getting scammed by MTGO trades (it's hard to prove a digital object has been transferred) and they decided to pull the plug. They did this a long time ago for WoW (and all other digital) items. MTGO got the exception because you can redeem them / you're allowed to transfer ownership. I'm guessing the exception is over.

Now... how's /join auction doing?
There are still plenty of eBay "stores" which are selling MTGO cards. So perhaps it is only individual users who are no longer allowed to sell MTGO cards on eBay.
I seen 2 collections for sale when my wife bought her 9th edition core code. I am debating on bidding for them.

Although the individual members slaes a few, the online sotre sales are plenty. I am looking to purchase a bunch of common 4X sets for my wife from some of the stores.

What exactly does the 9th edition cores account get? I have heard it gets a foil serra and 81 cards and on another thread it states it gets an "Avatar" starter set? What is that?

Also, is there other places to purchase the cards? Something similar to embay?
I seen 2 collections for sale when my wife bought her 9th edition core code. I am debating on bidding for them.

Although the individual members slaes a few, the online sotre sales are plenty. I am looking to purchase a bunch of common 4X sets for my wife from some of the stores.

What exactly does the 9th edition cores account get? I have heard it gets a foil serra and 81 cards and on another thread it states it gets an "Avatar" starter set? What is that?

Also, is there other places to purchase the cards? Something similar to embay?

I would go to MTGOtraders.com as for the ebay thing there is a reason there are few cards and/or collections on it right now the value is way down and redem is not up.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)

I believe both are correct. You get everything that is in the paper starter set, which includes a foil serra angel and a couple of decks, 1 GR and 1 UW with a few artifacts thrown into each. Don't expect much from them, they're basically for teaching people the most basic rules of the game. The avatar starter set is a group of 5(?) avatars that you can use for your account. Everyone on MTGO is represented by an avatar, as well as these starting ones, you can trade for additional ones or win them in release events. Additionally, there is a format called "vanguard" where each avatar has specific rules text that alters how the game is played. One of the avatars, Momir Vig, also has a special format attached to it called momir basic.
I just checked also and that is by far the least amount of auctions I have ever seen on ebay other than when they were all pulled. There must be something more going on here.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
I would go to MTGOtraders.com as for the ebay thing there is a reason there are few cards and/or collections on it right now the value is way down and redem is not up.

I think it's a combination of a number of factors.

People are probably getting sick of getting scammed on Ebay. This is magnified by the absurd policy changes they (and paypal) put into place a few months back, which has (as predicted) led to an increase in scamming. After 10 years of using Ebay (and using Paypal since launch) faithfully, I got hit with three scams (None of which were MTGO related) in one month, and was unable to recoup my losses due to these policies. I've since disabled both my Ebay and Paypal accounts as a result of these policies. I know I'm not the only one.

Note that even before these policies, selling MTGO items on Ebay was risky at best. If someone decided to scam you, you were pretty much SOL. The new policies just magnify the problem, as you can't even leave feedback to warn the scammer's next potential victim.

There's also the economy. MTGO's economy right now is pretty much rock-bottom. The reasons why have been discussed elsewhere. But right now, I think a lot of people are simply waiting for a while and hoping the economy will recover.

I think these are the main reasons there's a lack of MTGO collection lots on Ebay. I will say that these are the two reasons I haven't sold off my collection. I'm hoping the economy will rebound, as my collection is sizeable and I'd take a HUGE hit if I sold it right now. I'd rather wait six months and hope things are better. Further, I'm hoping to find a safe and secure way to sell my collection (if one exists, which I doubt). Selling $20 worth of cards is one thing. If you get scammed, you shrug it off and move on. Selling $X000 is a totally separate issue. You don't just "shrug that off".

[fantasy]

I'd love to see WotC develop some kind of "escrow" service of some kind. Player A sells his cards to Player B. WotC holds player A's cards, and confirms that to player B. Player B makes the payment (through Paypal, Google Checkout, or other verifiable source). Player A confirms that payment was received, and WotC transfers the cards to player A. If player A does not confirm the transaction, player B can send WotC a transaction ID# that WotC can independently verify as proof of payment. Player B gets the cards anyway. If the payment turns out to be fraudulent, WotC can simply reverse the transaction.

WotC, of course, would have to charge a fee for using this service. But I'd use it.

[/fantasy]
Trade on ebay is still happenening, I bought some tix recently. There are definitely less people selling items. What I think is happening is that the general difficulty of trading under V3 means that fewer people have a surplus to sell. Trading problems include
  • bugs and crashes in the trading interface
  • only the bigger dealers have managed to get their bots up and running
  • card prices are at a low point

Once wotc fix the bugs, and more traders manage to get v3 bots online then you'll start to see an upturn on ebay trading.
This doesn't really explain the lack of singles on ebay. The lack of tickets is mostly from the lack of bots which is obvious but I don't understand why there are not more singles up. I mean 10 auctions??? That is unheard of. There has to be something bigger going on imo.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
I'm pretty sure I checked a few days ago and there were hundreds of MTGO auctions up. I could be wrong.
The OP is right, Tue night there were 200+ auctions matching "MTGO". I marked a few of them to watch. Wed morning they were all removed, from both the listings and my watch list. eBay (at the behest of WotC?) has cleaned out everything matching a few more times since. eBay customer service assured me that "nothing is wrong, you have nothing in your watch list". Very helpful.

Grubb

Grubb

WotC, of course, would have to charge a fee for using this service.
But I'd use it.

Once.

I don't ever expect WotC to do anything to facilitate players leaving the game, or to involve a third party with in-game transactions. This scenario involves both. That's a double whammy.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Once.

I don't ever expect WotC to do anything to facilitate players leaving the game, or to involve a third party with in-game transactions. This scenario involves both. That's a double whammy.

I don't expect them to do it either, but not for the reasons you've listed but because it would be over their heads.

It's really a win-win situation for both parties, customers don't get scammed and WOTC can collect a transaction fee instead of E-Bay.

Also something like this has been successfully implemented for some time in Everquest 2. http://stationexchange.station.sony.com/livegamer.vm

Whatever you might lose by facilitating players to leave the game (silly thought imo, what are you supposed to do force them to stay? make it impossible to sell?) You would probably gain from a renewed confidence which is bought by the more-free market. I'm hearing a lot of paper players who are very uneasy to make the investment into digital due to how hard it is to liquidate.

Oh well, just an idea.
This doesn't really explain the lack of singles on ebay. The lack of tickets is mostly from the lack of bots which is obvious but I don't understand why there are not more singles up. I mean 10 auctions??? That is unheard of. There has to be something bigger going on imo.

Agreed, this is very odd indeed.
I think it's a combination of a number of factors.

People are probably getting sick of getting scammed on Ebay. This is magnified by the absurd policy changes they (and paypal) put into place a few months back, which has (as predicted) led to an increase in scamming. After 10 years of using Ebay (and using Paypal since launch) faithfully, I got hit with three scams (None of which were MTGO related) in one month, and was unable to recoup my losses due to these policies. I've since disabled both my Ebay and Paypal accounts as a result of these policies. I know I'm not the only one.

Note that even before these policies, selling MTGO items on Ebay was risky at best. If someone decided to scam you, you were pretty much SOL. The new policies just magnify the problem, as you can't even leave feedback to warn the scammer's next potential victim.

There's also the economy. MTGO's economy right now is pretty much rock-bottom. The reasons why have been discussed elsewhere. But right now, I think a lot of people are simply waiting for a while and hoping the economy will recover.

I think these are the main reasons there's a lack of MTGO collection lots on Ebay. I will say that these are the two reasons I haven't sold off my collection. I'm hoping the economy will rebound, as my collection is sizeable and I'd take a HUGE hit if I sold it right now. I'd rather wait six months and hope things are better. Further, I'm hoping to find a safe and secure way to sell my collection (if one exists, which I doubt). Selling $20 worth of cards is one thing. If you get scammed, you shrug it off and move on. Selling $X000 is a totally separate issue. You don't just "shrug that off".

[fantasy]

I'd love to see WotC develop some kind of "escrow" service of some kind. Player A sells his cards to Player B. WotC holds player A's cards, and confirms that to player B. Player B makes the payment (through Paypal, Google Checkout, or other verifiable source). Player A confirms that payment was received, and WotC transfers the cards to player A. If player A does not confirm the transaction, player B can send WotC a transaction ID# that WotC can independently verify as proof of payment. Player B gets the cards anyway. If the payment turns out to be fraudulent, WotC can simply reverse the transaction.

WotC, of course, would have to charge a fee for using this service. But I'd use it.

[/fantasy]

very good point there
I understand that the issue about getting directly involved with the secondary market exist but they are loosing out on some very easy accomplishable revenue
I go even farther and say they should reinvent their mtgo market and bot system
making bot use connected with the software and charge service fees
they can basically have those ebay stores within mtgo software
people would definetly, I mean they already pay the ebay fees
I dont understand why wotc does not want those fees mostly because it would be a mostly automated system and woudln't need a whole lot of support
all i am saying is that they should receive those fees instead of 3rd party service providers
implementing a secondary market sale system which charges a fee to the store owners should definelty be on sombodies to do list
hope i made myself somewhat understandable
I have been a regular seller on eBay for more than 4 years, and have a store that sells MTGO cards. Just today, I received a phone call from eBay stating that digital objects are not allowed to be listed in where it is (the Magic Online category) again.

Some time last January, eBay made a decision to ban all sales of digital objects in games (most famously WOW). At this point of time, MTGO was also classified as such, and during that month all such listings were cancelled. Then somehow, I believe WoTC covertly spoke to eBay stating that they were ok with such listings (much like Second Life).

eBay has been a good alternative for players/small dealers to cash in on unwanted cards as opposed to selling them to dealers, who most often pay less than fair value. Allowing this alternative bodes well for the secondary market, especially in a time where redemption is not up.

I know that WoTC adopts a non-interference policy in the secondary market. However, I believe that eBay would not have withdrawn such a policy without due notice. My guess is that someone else took over the enforcement of such a policy and decided to ban such listings again.

I humbly beseech WoTC to speak out, covertly of course, for those of us who peddle our digital cards on eBay. If you did it once you can do it again. eBay is an important platform for the secondary market, and should be supported for the health of the game.

On another note, scamming on eBay has been greatly reduce. Take it from me, I was hit hard during the times when credit card fraud (chargebacks) was high. But now, due to new regulations, it has become very difficult for scammers to pull anything off.
I have been a regular seller on eBay for more than 4 years, and have a store that sells MTGO cards. Just today, I received a phone call from eBay stating that digital objects are not allowed to be listed in where it is (the Magic Online category) again.

That's bad, bad news

Someone from WoTC needs to get on the Phone to eBay, pronto.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
It would be good to hear from someone within WOTC, if they asked Ebay to stop listings.
That's bad, bad news

Someone from WoTC needs to get on the Phone to eBay, pronto.

Wow, surprising. However, I doubt that WOTC will be able to convince ebay to go back AGAIN. Presumably this is a result of some larger issue.
The premise for eBay's policies have always been copyright concerns. Digital objects have a high risk of copyright infringement (music, eBooks, WoW policies etc) and while eBay is willing to tangle with the like of Tiffany's for physical counterfeit goods, they are much less willing to do so with digital objects. My belief has been that WoTC has always been quietly facilitating the secondary market, and if they give the green light to eBay that it is ok, eBay will allow it. After all, that's how the Magic Online category got there in the first place.
At the moment, there seem to be a large number of high-dollar MTG auctions by a singular seller that sure smell suspicious of fraud. Would speculate there have been a good number of people that might be reporting those listings. May or may not be a piece of the picture in pulling MTGO objects again.
I am saddened by the fact that ebay has pulled all of the MTGO listings. Its the closest thing that allows a free market to function with MTGO, as it allows everyone to easily sell their cards. I often find deals on ebay (especially for common sets) that I can't get from bots or stores.

However, if Wizards asked ebay to pull the lots because they have finally planned to set up a functioning auction system, it might assuage the annoyance. Personally, I think that utilizing ebay helps create a more healthy secondary market, but i would rather have a second option than none at all.
Just to confirm I was bidding on an item (at a ridiculously low level just to track how the sale went) and it got pulled by EBAY Tuesday (or maybe it was Monday sometime this week anyway).. so if they are down to just a couple listings then I've got to assume something is going on.

this would suck but I think there are other ebay like services we can switch to if need be.
...However, if Wizards asked ebay to pull the lots because they have finally planned to set up a functioning auction system, it might assuage the annoyance. Personally, I think that utilizing ebay helps create a more healthy secondary market, but i would rather have a second option than none at all.

I sure hope WotC has learned the lesson in the last year of not taking steps before a system is fully implemented. (Launching V3? Boards switch to Gleemax? Gleemax?)

Has someone PMed somebody at WotC, say WWW, to let them know that ebay has done this again?
Thank you, Erik.
Once.

Yes, someone like me might use it once and leave the game. In fact, *I* probably would.

But it very easily could be used to sell smaller lots and/or high-value items. Maybe selling that playset of Mutavaults for $100. Or that 4X Playset of commons for $15. Or whatever. WotC takes a percentage, and the economy gets a boost. Win-Win.

And they already involve a third party (Paypal). All they'd be doing is extending the functionality. Granted, adding competing sites such as Google Checkout would be a bonus, but it could work even if it were solely paypal.

If people are going to leave the game, they're going to leave one way or the other. Yes, there are those like me who are sticking around due to the lack of secure method of "cashout", but I'm willing to bet I'm in the minority. Some will use Ebay, some will sell to dealers. Some will sell on stars. Some will simply abandon the accounts. But if they're going to leave anyway, at least this gives WotC a possible opportunity to get a few extra bucks out of them on the way out.
I dont know what you are talking about, but I am on ebay right now and there is over 1900 listings for singles, collections, 4x cards, and C/U/R lots for sell. Be it "buy it now", but they are lsitings.

As for the one who talks about a huge amount gone in a short time, it could be that they are all posted by a single person/store and they applied the same deadline.
this would suck but I think there are other ebay like services we can switch to if need be.

There are plenty of smaller auction sites out there who I'm sure would love to pick up where Ebay left off. I think the bigger problem would be figuring out which site would become the "preferred" site.
I dont know what you are talking about, but I am on ebay right now and there is over 1900 listings for singles, collections, 4x cards, and C/U/R lots for sell. Be it "buy it now", but they are lsitings.

As for the one who talks about a huge amount gone in a short time, it could be that they are all posted by a single person/store and they applied the same deadline.

11 results found for: (MTGO, Magic Online)

(1,929 Items found in eBay Stores)

at 11:46 AM Eastern

That's a far cry from the thousand or two that are usually listed in Auction.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Maybe they simply haven't gotten around to shutting off the Buy it now listings yet?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them gone in the next few days, if this really is yet another change in Ebay's policies.

Or maybe they're going to allow Magic Online listings in Ebay Stores or with Buy it Now only? (highly unlikely, but given Ebay's recent string of absurd policy changes, it's not entirely out in left field, either....)

I think it's the former, and expect to see them gone soon.
11 results found for: (MTGO, Magic Online)

(1,929 Items found in eBay Stores)

at 11:46 AM Eastern

That's a far cry from the thousand or two that are usually listed in Auction.

I was watching about a dozen auctions all of which have been removed, I also had a auction listed, eBay sent me a standard email cancelling my auction today, this (I think) is the relevant section of the email.....

*****Please read this important information to help you bring your future listings into compliance.

Digital goods are often reproduced at little to no cost to the seller. On eBay, this creates the potential for Feedback Manipulation. To preserve the integrity of the Feedback system, all goods that can be digitally downloaded or transferred electronically (including e-mail delivery) must be listed using the Classified Ad format in the Everything Else>Information Products category only.

Please note that if the appropriate changes are not made, it may lead to the indefinite suspension of your account.*****

It looks like we either sell all the items via *buy it now* which will IMO leaves little in the way of getting a bargin as the prices will become faily constant. Or another auction facility is found that allows the use of either paypal or google checkout.

This is not good for a already stressed secondary market.
I had 5 or so lots of 4x commons I had either bid on or was watching, and I received emails from ebay at about 1 AM on the 6th that they had all been pulled.
Digital goods are often reproduced at little to no cost to the seller.

Well, this would be the false statement. Worth, you need to be on the phone ASAP. Hopefully, you still have the info for whoever the ebay person was talked to before.
4. Don't speak dumb, or you'll be struck dumb. Remember, the name of the game is heads I win, tails you lose.
It looks like we either sell all the items via *buy it now* which will IMO leaves little in the way of getting a bargin as the prices will become faily constant. Or another auction facility is found that allows the use of either paypal or google checkout.

This is not good for a already stressed secondary market.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see both happen.

I can see a situation where the major dealers stick to "buy it now" listings on Ebay, which will have the effect you described, but regular players end up flocking to one of the other auction sites for individual, auction-style listings. I think the biggest question is which one will eventually be the one most people flock to.
The entire thing looks like eBay just plum forgot about last time, and up and decided to remove this.

At least, it better be eBay's fault. If WoTC was in any way a party to this new policy, not communicating it the to community would be the largest epic communication failure in the long, mostly sad history of MTGO communcation.

But I'm relatively certain this is not the case. eBay is making the call here.

Maybe they just don't want to deal in digital items at all, regardless of whether or not the actual owners (WoTC) would allow it.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Investigating...
Thank you
The entire thing looks like eBay just plum forgot about last time, and up and decided to remove this.

At least, it better be eBay's fault. If WoTC was in any way a party to this new policy, not communicating it the to community would be the largest epic communication failure in the long, mostly sad history of MTGO communcation.

But I'm relatively certain this is not the case. eBay is making the call here.

Maybe they just don't want to deal in digital items at all, regardless of whether or not the actual owners (WoTC) would allow it.

My guess is that someone new was reviewing sales that violated policy and didn't see the note excepting MtGO. (Or the guy who reinstated them the first time didn't properly document the exception.)
My guess is that someone new was reviewing sales that violated policy and didn't see the note excepting MtGO. (Or the guy who reinstated them the first time didn't properly document the exception.)

Yeah that seems it would be the most likely case.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

This has got to be one incredibly stupid person.

I'd understand if he were cancelling a handful of random auctions, not realizing that they actually didn't violate policy after all.

But considering he essentially killed off THOUSANDS OF LISTINGS that HAD THEIR OWN CATEGORY, shouldn't something have gone off in his head that said "Hey, wait. There's thousands of listings here, and they've got their own category. Maybe I should look a little further into this before I do anything....."?

If this is the work of one person who cancelled thousands of listings without doing a little basic investigating, then that person deserves to be fired. This isn't just a little "oops" commonly made by someone new to the job. This costs both the company and the customers thousands of dollars in fees and lost sales. That's a fireable offense in just about every company I've ever worked for.