My Dodge Viper just turned into a Dodge Caravan!

208 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I jus downloaded v3 to take a look at the interface and foils. I am a HUGE foil collector ( or should say was in v2) so I was anixous to see what all my foils were gonna look like in v3. So i go into deck editor and get all the cards to come up and to my surprise the foils look horrible compared to the old ones. I bought foils in v2 only because of the way the looked. (old boardered cards specificlly 7th-scourage) So now I am quite angry at WOTC for changing the card apperance. If Foils looked like this I never would have bought them to begin with but instead now i am stuck with all my foils eventhough they look horrible. Its like I went to dodge and bought a viper went home to bed for the night to wake up and find a dodge caravan in my driveway. so again thank you WOTC for another great descion. Amazing you guys have lasted this long as a buisness.

Any other comments on the new foils for v3? Like? Dislike?
Wow, you really don't like them? I daresay that puts you in the minority. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
So I jus downloaded v3 to take a look at the interface and foils. I am a HUGE foil collector ( or should say was in v2) so I was anixous to see what all my foils were gonna look like in v3. So i go into deck editor and get all the cards to come up and to my surprise the foils look horrible compared to the old ones. I bought foils in v2 only because of the way the looked. (old boardered cards specificlly 7th-scourage) So now I am quite angry at WOTC for changing the card apperance. If Foils looked like this I never would have bought them to begin with but instead now i am stuck with all my foils eventhough they look horrible. Its like I went to dodge and bought a viper went home to bed for the night to wake up and find a dodge caravan in my driveway. so again thank you WOTC for another great descion. Amazing you guys have lasted this long as a buisness.

Any other comments on the new foils for v3? Like? Dislike?

Huh. After seeing the foils in V3 I made more of an effort to get them in V2 so I'd beat the rush. Do your foils 'shimmer' and move, or are they static? The reason I ask is that it sounds like your looking at static foils which means that either rendering is on, or your card isn't up to displaying them as shimmering effects.

That's really the only way I can think of someone liking the foils on V2 more than V3.
MTGO SVCL - Ask me for help if you're lost or confused!
I would have to agree with Hamtastic. I too got more foils in my collection on v2 after seeing how they looked on V3.
I would check your settings as Hammy said above. -Joe

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Does your Caravan have a racing stripe or maybe a cool number on the side... like 18?
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

They "shimmer" However I like the Full Colour Boarder They use to have such as force of will was all blue boarder and u can really tell it was foil and now they have the black boarder and the whole "shimmer" is nothing special to me. if i wanted those foils i'd collect in real life, but thats why i don't I liked the online foils 100x better than paper foils but there goes that. Also Newer foils like bitter ordeal for example is barely a difference in foil or non....WOW the pic now "shimmers" but nothing happens with the boarder or card text.
I think a better way to express your feelings is that you bought a Honda Civic, then overnight it got turned into a S2000, but you had those fancy little spinners on that Civic you liked so much and now they're gone.
The foil effect on the post-8th cards seemed trivial to the point where foils could easily pass as regular cards. IMHO, the foils look tenfold better in v3.
/me steps out of the shadows of the MTGO boards......

Can I have your cards?

Ok here's my nickel, where's Gathion??

/me slips back into the shadows of the MTGO boards....

Foils are, IMO, better on V3 than V2, but not all that much. It's still just an overlayed semi-transparent moving image.

One thing I'd like to see, eventually, is foil "layering", like they do in paper. Essentially, the foil renderer would actually look at the color saturation values of the individual pixels on the card, and "foil" them according.

Of course this is more CPU intensive and difficult to program, so it's not a high priority. But it could look very cool.
Foils look terrible in V3. They even hurt the eyes more than V3 already does!

In anticipation of the big storm coming with all the complaints when V3/Gaming sickness goes life
I'm on the exact same page as the OP here, as mentioned in the "I hate V3" thread. I spent a lot of money b/c I really liked how the pre-8th ED foils looked, and now I think the foils look horrid. And YES, I do have the "shimmering" animation running. It's sorta neat, but NOT what I'd like to see. In a way, it's annoying, as it's just a constant colour-shift through some odd spectrum.
wow, i've got a mathmatecal anylsis for you:

number of features new, old, and improved on modo = number of obnoxious whiny people to the tenth exponent.

seriously. "wah my foiiiiiles are DIFFERENT...."

then go trade them with all teh people in v3 who like teh foils, and BUY THE WHOLE DAMNED V2 SERVER. jeeze.

i personally love v3 so far. and i'm going to start playing mtgo because of it. so wah.

-J
If it's any consolation to the people who don't like v3 foils, I'm sure they will trade better than they would have in v2.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
If it's any consolation to the people who don't like v3 foils, I'm sure they will trade better than they would have in v2.

Honestly, I think you're correct. Doubly so if MTGO is allowed to become more popular and grow
/me banks on it :x
wow, i've got a mathmatecal anylsis for you:

number of features new, old, and improved on modo = number of obnoxious whiny people to the tenth exponent.

seriously. "wah my foiiiiiles are DIFFERENT...."

then go trade them with all teh people in v3 who like teh foils, and BUY THE WHOLE DAMNED V2 SERVER. jeeze.

i personally love v3 so far. and i'm going to start playing mtgo because of it. so wah.

-J

Sadly the amount of features new/old/etc are WAY less than the number of complaining CUSTOMERS. Also as for me complaining why my foilies are different yes I am as I have foils over $150 and total value over 5k so i believe I have given WOTC enough of my money to be complaining when suddenly i wake up and the 5k i have ALREADY spent and can not do anything about looks totally different. I paid my money for the cards I bought and the way they looked not these. Now if I could buy the whole V2 server and have it working to its old extent I would gladly do so as the only real problem i had was stability but if its my server that won't be a problem now will it as I can moderate it and not try to milk it like WOTC. Then saying you might start playing just makes the whole post that much more meaningless to me. Player who has played and spent 5k + > someone who MIGHT start playing. But anyhow thanks for your meaningless input in the thread =)
I'd actually agree that some foils look worse.

Like, for example, in v2, FoW looked sexy. Like, seriously, it was just sexy. Same thing goes for any of the fetchlands.
Now? I'd assume they look rather gimmicky in comparison.

Meanwhile, non-classic faced cards will probably look better foiled now than they did before.
I'd actually agree that some foils look worse.

Like, for example, in v2, FoW looked sexy. Like, seriously, it was just sexy. Same thing goes for any of the fetchlands.
Now? I'd assume they look rather gimmicky in comparison.

Meanwhile, non-classic faced cards will probably look better foiled now than they did before.

Yes I was very fond of my FOW's but even better to me were the old multicolour foils and the goldish boarder they had. Like deeds =)
Well, I believe the foil effect is generated using one of the graphic files. There are a couple of foilmap.png files. Try messing with one of them and see if it makes it look better for you.
Its like I went to dodge and bought a viper went home to bed for the night to wake up and find a dodge caravan in my driveway.

Yes but it is a shiny one.
i'm not particularly fond of the V3 foils either (or the regular cards for that matter). can we get a feature to switch between the new look or the old look?
i also am not totally convinced that all foils look better of v3. i complained and posted about this about 5 months ago on the beta, but here on the boards. many disagreed. i gave it some time to get used to the "new look" and whatnot. im only partially convinced the new shimmer is worth it. quite simply, the new foil effect often obscures the card art underneather and just looks 'layered' on. i miss the vibrancy of the old foils. and alot of the appeal of foils is based on their look/appearance, not rarity(i say this as a collector of nonrare foils).
Heh... some "minority," eh? Seems like several of us are unhappy with the new foils. And considering the amount of money and time some of us have spent obtaining these, I hope that some attention is paid to this.
I would say that you cannot get people to like or not like the new foils as it is matter of personal preference.
I dont like them. Someone on the forums here said they are looking as 1960s acid trip attempt.
I would say that you cannot get people to like or not like the new foils as it is matter of personal preference.
I dont like them. Someone on the forums here said they are looking as 1960s acid trip attempt.

While I do agree with you here that you cannot please all 100% of the playerbase I just don't understand where WOTC gets off changing many foil collectors cards. I mean I doubt anyone will say the cards look/appearance in V2 was horrible. Cards in V2 were fine imo ( As were many other features) but they decided to take 4-5 years to change everything when the only REAL problem was stability. Basiclly what i'm saying is don't fix it if it ain't broken and the V2 card appearance was far from broken but YES the server needed severe attention.

They look nothing like an acid trip, 1960's or otherwise, as they do not appear to be melting, they do not taste like the color magenta and they are not trying to climb out of my monitor to write a play about astronaut fish.

I can understand how some people may not like them, though. Maybe after v3 is up and stable you could put in a request to have foils displayed in alternate ways?

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but this is how one of my favorite Foils appears in v2 and then in v3. The v2 is by far better IMO.

(btw, the size of the card is exactly how it appears in my card window for each version. I havn't made the v3 version smaller intentionally)

Atalya on v2

IMAGE(http://members.cox.net/marc1967/Atalya.v2.jpg)

then.... Atalya on v3

IMAGE(http://members.cox.net/marc1967/Atalya.v3.jpg)
For the record, I drive a Dodge Caravan and I'd like to say that it's a pretty sweet ride. Yeah it's not as flashy as the Viper but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable for long trips. Built in GPS Nav system, DVD player with AV inputs if you want to play a handheld on the DVD screen, very wide and comfortable seats, a ton of storage space with the Stow & Go and cup holders friggin everywhere.
It might not 0 -60 as fast, but, if you're going on a long haul drive with more then 2 people then you'd be less then wise to choose the Viper.

Just sayin' ...

Guess what? Chicken butt.

One point that merits consideration is that the look of cards on v3 will change after the release of SP1. The animation will likely continue (as on the whole it has been positively received), but the layout and format of the cards will be more aesthetically pleasing. It may be wise to reserve judgment until after that time.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
For the record, I drive a Dodge Caravan and I'd like to say that it's a pretty sweet ride. Yeah it's not as flashy as the Viper but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable for long trips. Built in GPS Nav system, DVD player with AV inputs if you want to play a handheld on the DVD screen, very wide and comfortable seats, a ton of storage space with the Stow & Go and cup holders friggin everywhere.
It might not 0 -60 as fast, but, if you're going on a long haul drive with more then 2 people then you'd be less then wise to choose the Viper.

Just sayin' ...

But does yours car transform like Sin's? I think Sin just wanted to brag about how great his ride was.
v2 owned because i just replaced all the non-foil borders with foil borders

saved myself hundreds of tickets. really dodged the bullet with that one.
A comparison of one of my favorite foils... V3 on the left, V2 on the right. I think V3 just PALES in comparison.
IMAGE(http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb147/jamesgproctor/v3foilvsv2.jpg)
A comparison of one of my favorite foils... V3 on the left, V2 on the right. I think V3 just PALES in comparison.

OMG magicstop why did you have to post that card =(. Its one of my fav foils also and i JUST got my 4th foil hymn like 2-3 days before server went offline and it hurts so bad to look at the new crappy foil hymn lol. But the worst is now 7th edition BOP and WOG will drop severly in price as there is no difference in those and 10th edition now.

I suppose there's always hope that the foil rendering can change with updates as time goes by. I still can't comprehend the people who say "Foils look better on v3".
This has already been pointed out, but everyone seems to be ignoring it:

The foil animation (MOST of v3's graphic resources, in fact) are standard graphics files, editable by the user. It's just a png file that MTGO layers on top of the card image. You can change this image to anything you want. If you don't like the standard gradient you can make your own with 5 minutes in Photoshop (or any graphics editor — GIMP is free, I think).

If you don't like it, change it yourself! Don't wait for WotC to do it for you.

(Those of you deliberately showing the v3 foil un-animated and unzoomed are either dishonest or confused, IMO. I'm personally thrilled to be rid of the huge pixellated meteor.)

The foil animation (MOST of v3's graphic resources, in fact) are standard graphics files, editable by the user. It's just a png file that MTGO layers on top of the card image. You can change this image to anything you want. If you don't like the standard gradient you can make your own with 5 minutes in Photoshop (or any graphics editor — GIMP is free, I think).

Yeah, I'll get..... right to work on that. Five minutes? brb...

It's as much how the card appears to opponents as to yourself, and since most people won't do what you suggest above, our foils will most likely look crappy to others during a game.

(Those of you deliberately showing the v3 foil un-animated and unzoomed are either dishonest or confused, IMO. I'm personally thrilled to be rid of the huge pixellated meteor.)

The cards that me and magicstop have shown for comparisons are exacty how they look in both size and appearance. No dishonesty or confusion.
I disagree. The foils on v2 looked static and unimpressive, I couldnt tell
some regular cards from foils and had to look at the whoosh symbol.
The foils on v3 pop out at you and have a nice glimmer, its like the
card itself is alive, Take Orzhov Euthanist foil for example, its like the
smoke its rising from the card

IMAGE(http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/VenomGGXX/euthanist.jpg)

And heres one of Kiku foil

IMAGE(http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/VenomGGXX/kiku.jpg)

I'm actually offended at your accusation. The V3 Hymn that I showed was as large as I could make it without doing the super huge zoom, and it was the animated foil version. I almost knew some fanboy would post "That's not the foil!!!11!11!!", and included the regular along side it, but figured the thread might not sink to that level of stupidity.
As for the V2 card, that was the SMALLEST I could get it to display in the collections view. So, smallest vs biggest, and both animated. And thus, you seem my problem with the foils.

Also, the suggestion that I can change the foils for myself is absurd. At that point, I may as well change the regular borders over, and then, what's the point of owning foils? I want to share the visual experience with my opponent in the way that I perceive it. I'm not down with "tricking" myself.
... and then, what's the point of owning foils?

Zen!

When did foils start anysways, i had a long (like 8 years or something) break between paper and MTGO but i dont remember 4th ed paper having foils?
This is really one of those "You can please some of the people some of the time" type of issues. Whether you like the new foils or not, you should be respectful of those who disagree with you.
Also, the suggestion that I can change the foils for myself is absurd. At that point, I may as well change the regular borders over, and then, what's the point of owning foils? I want to share the visual experience with my opponent in the way that I perceive it. I'm not down with "tricking" myself.

Well, I don't think you're going to get a whole lot of sympathy when your complaint boils down to "I want to force my opponents to look at particular things". Even if WotC reverted back to the oldstyle foil, there's nothing stopping other people from editing their own graphics or disabling foil effects altogether. You may as well enjoy your cards on your end, if nothing else?

Anyway, maybe you've just got a strange screen resolution, because cards in both versions at their largest look like this to me (v2 on left, v3 on right).

IMAGE(http://www.saxypunch.com/miscimg/v2foil.png)IMAGE(http://www.saxypunch.com/miscimg/v3foil.png)

(v3 looks slightly blurrier than it really is since it's a screencap from a video I was trying to make of the foil animation)

v3 card is from the card view on the (docked) right-side panel, v2 is from the deckbuilder: this was the largest I could get each card without obvious stretching/pixellation. Admittedly the v3 foil barely shows up in a still image, but my attempts to make an animated gif for each version have been unsuccessful to say the least. Unfortunately the v3 foil looks best "live" and so it's getting a bum rap when people use screenshots against it.

I certainly didn't intend to offend, it just seems that a lot of people may be unaware of the zoom or the right-side panel because I keep seeing complaints about how small and ugly v3 cards supposedly are.
Sign In to post comments