Mac/Linux Install Recommendations

202 posts / 0 new
Last post
Attention all Mac/Linux users:

I would like to take all of our collective knowledge of installing MO on Mac and/or Linux into a single stickied thread in the Tech forum. I'm not a Mac user and don't play MO on my Linux machine, so I need your help! Please reply below detailing your experiences (both successful and failed) with trying to get MO3 to run on Mac and/or Linux using whatever method (bootcamp, parallels, Wine, etc). Include as much technical information as you can, especially any extra libraries/programs/etc you needed to install and any settings you need to change.

After a couple weeks, I will try to organize all of the responses into a single FAQ-type compendium for Mac/Linux users who want to play Magic Online.
Obviously I have temporarily abandoned my plans to do this. I may still do this a future time, but for now the thread will remain free-form.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
My current setup on my MacBook Pro looks like this:
- Bootcamp partition with Windows XP corporate SP 3
- Parallels Desktop 3, configured to use the Bootcamp partition. DirectX shaders are disabled.

Results: Under Bootcamp, I can use hardware rendering without a problem. Under Parallels, I have to use the software rendering (which it defaults to) which is usable but the text on cards is very fuzzy.
I have the same setup on an Intel imac, Macbook Pro, and Mac Pro:

VMWare Fusion & Windows XP. Hardware rendering works and you can still use Mac apps while you're playing modo. Works pretty well, high res graphics. The foil animation doesn't work though which is fine with me.
I use the latest version of Parallels (3?) on a Mac Pro and use software rendering. I have my VM configured for 1GB of RAM, which is plenty since I only use it to play Magic. When I want to run two clients at the same time, I usually run the second one in another VM (cloned from my primary VM).

The quality of text and images seems kind of low to me. I have not played V3 in a non-VM environment. So, I don't have a basis for comparison.

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.
I went through the process of setting up a VMWare image after getting tired of rebooting just for MTGO. It was the only thing preventing me from running Linux full-time at home.

I'm running on a PC that is set up to dual boot Win2k and Gentoo Linux. My process was as follows (obviously Gentoo-centric):

Prerequisites:

• I had an existing Win2k install on a partition at the beginning of my disk.
  • I had an existing Gentoo install on subsequent partitions.
  • I had an empty ext3 partition at the end of the disk the same size as my Win2k partition.

Process:

• Boot into Win2k and install MTGO v3.

• Download and install the ext2 driver for Windows, mounting the empty partition.

• Download and install VMWare Converter.

• Run VMWare Converter and use it to create a VMWare image of the Win2k machine on the empty partition.

• Restart and boot into Linux.

• Mount the partition containing the VMWare image and add it to fstab.

• Retrieve the VMWare Tools windows.iso as detailed here (steps 1 and 2) and save it under the VMWare image folder.

• Edit the [image name].vmx file (under the VMWare image folder) to include a section like the following:

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"<br /> ide1:0.fileName = "windows.iso"<br /> ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"<br /> ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"<br /> ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

• Install VMWare Player: sudo emerge vmware-player

• Config VMWare Player (you should be prompted to do this after the install): sudo /opt/vmware/player/bin/vmware-config.pl

• Reboot (or not; can't remember).

• Run the command: vmplayer [mount point]/[image name]/[image name].vmx

• Resolution will be bad so login like you normally would and open Windows Explorer. Go to the 'VMWare Tools' drive letter and double-click setup.exe and install. It will then prompt you to restart or initiate one of the VM. This will improve the mouse and video drivers in the VM.

That should be it.

It's been some time now, so sorry if I omitted any details.

Some things of note:

• I've successfully used both PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0 and gparted to resize partitions in the past. There's always the risk of dataloss, though, so back up.

• I had problems with VMWare Converter creating an image with multiple CPUs detected. This is on a P4 rig that I had set to hyperthread with a registry entry. VMWare Converter complained so I set the OS back to uniprocessor through the registry. Everything was ok after that. Not sure if this has changed or not. Some Googling should turn up alternative methods of creating a VM image.

• I have no floppy drive, so VMWare Player would complain about it on startup. I resolved this by downloading a small .iso and modifying the following in the .vmx file (I think it complains if you try to use windows.iso for this as well. I guess you could remove the other section after installing the tools, or even just use this in the first place. *shrug*):
    floppy0.fileType = "file"<br /> floppy0.fileName = "memtest86+-1.70.iso"<br /> floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

• If you want sound to work from your Windows VM, you'll need to figure out your chipset, do some research, and add/modify something like the following in the .vmx file:

sound.present = "TRUE"<br /> sound.virtualDev = "es1371"<br /> sound.filename = "-1"<br /> sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

• I had v2 installed on Win2k when I set this all up. I unsuccessfully tried to install v3 while running the virtual machine. The install kept failing and I thought it might be a video issue. What I had to do is boot back into my Win2k environment, upgrade to v3 there, and then recreate the VM image file.
I have it running in virtual box OSE under linux.
just install via
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-modules-generic
(get the kernal modules)
run it. I installed a fresh windows xp. it installed without issue. once running install virtualbox's drivers. this was a bit tricky but once i figured out what i needed to do i saw a handy dandy menu option that did it all in one click. restart the windows.
install mtgo
play

MTGO running on XP in a window on linux.

edit:
running ubuntu linux on a 3.6 ghz pentium 4 with 2 gig ram. mtgo3 ran smoothly like this with linux doing alot of things too (web browser, videos, bit torrent, etc)

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Have no other Mac/Linux users gotten MO3 working?

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Have no other Mac/Linux users gotten MO3 working?

We could be a small community, with only some of us frequenting these boards.
MTGO on new (thanks, V3) intel iMac:

- Runs stably and without issue inside Parallels (WinXP), as long as I enable the uggggly software rendering. (Hardware rendering runs w/o erroring out, but all the frames/buttons/textures overlap each other, leaving the game unplayable as many UI elements are unreachable.)

- Runs beautifully but unstably on an XP BootCamp partition, w/ frequent disconnects from the game server. At least some of these are XP's fault, as I occasionally drop my entire network connection when I'm running XP as the main OS. (Yes, I'm on wireless, but I never have a problem when OSX is running the system. Functional but dodgy Windows drivers for iMac hardware, maybe?)

Bottom line: I now play almost exclusively in MtGO's pixel-tastic software mode, because at least that's stable. Doubly frustrating having seen the gorgeous version, but...what works, works.
Bottom line: I now play almost exclusively in MtGO's pixel-tastic software mode, because at least that's stable. Doubly frustrating having seen the gorgeous version, but...what works, works.

I have never seen it run without software rendering. Sounds like I should keep it that way until Parallels has better DirectX support.

Software rendering can look just as good as hardware rendering. My laptop and desktop are pretty much undistinguishable. Perhaps you should fiddle with some settings in parallels to increase the available graphics to XP?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Software rendering can look just as good as hardware rendering. My laptop and desktop are pretty much undistinguishable. Perhaps you should fiddle with some settings in parallels to increase the available graphics to XP?

Even running w/ XP as the host OS via BootCamp, software rendering looks like some sort of pixelated VGA nightmare. I'm exaggerating slightly for dramatic effect, but it's immediately noticeable, even from a distance...graphical widgets (mana pool icons, etc) are most notably affected, but EVERYTHING pixelates, even card art/text (which should just be a jpg or equivalent and plain text, but...whatever).

Whatever's causing the problem, it's not Parallels...the rest of the Windows-in-a-window environment looks fine (ie, at the native resolution of the monitor). And trust me...there's no confusing the "software rendering" graphics experience I'm getting w/ limited system resources. It literally looks like SVGA quality at best.

Am I missing any "settings" options in the v3 client itself beyond the prefer quality/speed dropdown?
Even running w/ XP as the host OS via BootCamp, software rendering looks like some sort of pixelated VGA nightmare. I'm exaggerating slightly for dramatic effect, but it's immediately noticeable, even from a distance...graphical widgets (mana pool icons, etc) are most notably affected, but EVERYTHING pixelates, even card art/text (which should just be a jpg or equivalent and plain text, but...whatever).

Whatever's causing the problem, it's not Parallels...the rest of the Windows-in-a-window environment looks fine (ie, at the native resolution of the monitor). And trust me...there's no confusing the "software rendering" graphics experience I'm getting w/ limited system resources. It literally looks like SVGA quality at best.

Am I missing any "settings" options in the v3 client itself beyond the prefer quality/speed dropdown?

No, it's something with the virtualization of XP. For whatever reason XP is not getting enough graphics processing. Others have experience the same as you but found the proper settings and had it look fine. Sadly I have no idea what the settings are or even where to begin, never having used parallels, bootcamp, or (pretty much) any virtualization.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
i just want to say to all you mac whiners out there. take a look at these screens.

believe that anything is possible, save server stability. i was going to show you guys a game while i was taking shots, but was unable to.

/|\\
/pfft
Photoshopped!

Now get off your own bridge! :P

Guess what? Chicken butt.

i'll gladly give you acess to my desktop via whichever mac complient client you'd like not photoshopped. cmon on vent, i'' be glad to share wit you tempest.

/|\\
No, it's something with the virtualization of XP. For whatever reason XP is not getting enough graphics processing. Others have experience the same as you but found the proper settings and had it look fine. Sadly I have no idea what the settings are or even where to begin, never having used parallels, bootcamp, or (pretty much) any virtualization.

Not sure about your specific set up, in virtualbox I had to install video drivers for the virtualization software. without that i was stuck in 640x480x8 mode. (blech) i'd look for software you need to install in the windows virtualization.
hey, all you gnome fans!! (push the button)

that's 1024X768, in case photobucket resized it.

enjoy, i finally did it right, now i can stop playing on kde

/|\\
VMWare Fusion & Windows XP. Hardware rendering works and you can still use Mac apps while you're playing modo. Works pretty well, high res graphics. The foil animation doesn't work though which is fine with me.

I'm running the same on my MacBook Pro. Seems to work petty well as long as the connections are stable. (I miss the blinking clock.) I do turn off a lot of the "features" such as animations, etc. because I just don't care enough about them.

In the very early versions of the client, there were issues over whether you used hardware or software rendering, etc. I should take another look at it and see what works best now.

--Auracyanin
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, Memory: 2 GB Using VMware Fusion 1.1.3 with 1GB memory, running WindowsXP Pro SP3. The Client runs fine(ish), I only have one small problem and that’s with some black cards and some of the new card frame artifacts.  Some of the older black cards, MED are ok, as are the artifacts. In the newer sets some cards are see through, and take on the colour of the background. While some others are totally blacked out. I have tried having software rendering on and off, and also the 3D options on and off in Fusion. Has any one else had this problem, or has anyone any more ideas on how to solve this? Anyone got the client working on a similar system to mine? I’m beginning to think it is because this is a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro. Any help is very much appreciated.

Dras

Can anyone out there who installed it on a MAC using either parallels/fusion/bootcamp give me some advice on how big to make the windows partition? I have a MacBook and wanted to minimize my windows partition while not degrading the performance. All I would be running it for is MTGO. I am leaning towards paralells or fusion so I don't have to reboot to play MTGO. Had that setup before leopard running just bootcamp with a 30gb partition but would like to make that smaller if it's possible.
Can anyone out there who installed it on a MAC using either parallels/fusion/bootcamp give me some advice on how big to make the windows partition? I have a MacBook and wanted to minimize my windows partition while not degrading the performance. All I would be running it for is MTGO. I am leaning towards paralells or fusion so I don't have to reboot to play MTGO. Had that setup before leopard running just bootcamp with a 30gb partition but would like to make that smaller if it's possible.

I use Parallels and have a 16GB partition allocated for my C: drive. Due to disk compaction, this only uses about 5GB of actual disk space. I created this VM about 2 years ago. You could probably get by with an 8GB partition or smaller if you don't plan to install anything else in the VM.

I did not repartition my Mac disk, my VM's disk partition is just a file on my hard drive. This makes it easy to back up, I just clone the entire VM.

I allowed 10Gb.

I did get some issues, see my above post.
As I type, I'm installing MTGO in Parallels, to see if I can run it better.

Dras

Anyone using Virtual pc 7 for mac and able to play this game? I couldn't get the game to launch. It said something is missing or couldn't access a file. Something like that.
IMAGE(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/wizdom_/Picture1-1.png)' alt='IMAGE(IMAGE(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/wizdom_/Picture1-1.png))' />

Reinstalled the game and this is the error that comes up. Anyone know how to fix this?
hey, all you gnome fans!! (push the button)

that's 1024X768, in case photobucket resized it.

enjoy, i finally did it right, now i can stop playing on kde

/|\\

What settings have you changed in wine?

I managed to install it but it now brings up "Statrting Magic The Gather..." in the taskbar, and then just closes :/
What settings have you changed in wine?

I managed to install it but it now brings up "Statrting Magic The Gather..." in the taskbar, and then just closes :/

try running from a command line so you can see the error messages
also check out http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10123

but as far as i can tell it doesn't work yet. If you want to play in linux check out virtualbox. it's in synaptic but requires a windows cd
well, he did post screenshots of it running under ubuntu with gnome. I do have virtual box installed, but would rather not be using it.
well, he did post screenshots of it running under ubuntu with gnome. I do have virtual box installed, but would rather not be using it.

with no explanation of how he did it. those screenshots could easily be photoshopped or just virtualbox. Since theres no explanation and no one else has been able to get it to work along with the things he's said lead me to believe he's fake.
Is there something in particular about virtualbox that's causing a problem? aside from the long start up time due to windows starting.
with no explanation of how he did it. those screenshots could easily be photoshopped or just virtualbox. Since theres no explanation and no one else has been able to get it to work along with the things he's said lead me to believe he's fake.
Is there something in particular about virtualbox that's causing a problem? aside from the long start up time due to windows starting.

the windows installation (xp pro) on there doesn't let me set a decent screen res. It's all non-widescreen ones so the actual viewable area on my 14" laptop is a little on the small side.
did you install the guest additions? (under devices when it's running) you should be able to get to pretty much any resolution your video card supports. That also gets rid of the annoying lock the mouse thing. You can also do host + l to get rid of the annoying virtualbox window frame.(making it look/act like a linux native window)
Does anyone have any experience trying the different virtual machine options? I've recently been trying the trial version of Parallels which loads windows much much much slower than VMWare fusion but once MTGO is loaded it runs much smoother and without the font issues.

Also, is there any news on the Wine front? Is it any different now that schan is a part of Wine?
Just a quick question for all you MacBook/Pro/Parallels users out there, how do you configure the trackpad, button so that you can zoom in on a card

Thanks

Dras

I don't know the answer to that, but do know that you can use CTRL+Shift to zoom.
I don't know the answer to that, but do know that you can use CTRL+Shift to zoom.

Cheers for that, works fine.

Dras

Please refrain from personal attacks.

I am requesting that this thread be merged with the existing MAC thread found here.
Batteries not included.
I use MTGO on Linux. My setup:

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Toshiba laptop. I have WinXP installed as a VM on VM Server 1.0.6. On that, I have .NET Frameworks 3.5.

And I still get Null Pointer Exceptions and program crashes (whole game freezes and reached over 500MB RAM usage, on a 1024 MB allocation).

I don't believe that the problem is due to my hardware - MTGO is the main culprit for crashes, considering it's technically still in alpha testing.
I use a macintosh and want to play MTGO. Is there a way to play MTGO on a macintosh or should I just give up all hope? I can't find a macintosh compatible version ANYWHERE! Help me out please.
I use a macintosh and want to play MTGO. Is there a way to play MTGO on a macintosh or should I just give up all hope? I can't find a macintosh compatible version ANYWHERE! Help me out please.

Sorry, but there is no MAC version available. However, there is a thread here http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1042542 with alternative solutions and other techincal answers.

Requesting merge.
Batteries not included.
Sorry, but there is no MAC version available. However, there is a thread here http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1042542 with alternative solutions and other techincal answers.

Requesting merge.

Ummm, why a merge, this thread is basically a FAQ, so I think pointing them in the right direction is sufficient and preferred.

Sign In to post comments