Best place to buy booster boxes

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I read on this site that you can buy booster boxes directly from wizards for only $60, the thread this came up in was "is it unfair to buy boxes online when game stores sell them for $100"

anyways, card supply shops must get their boxes from somewhere. Does anyone know the cheapest site to buy booster boxes?

Me and my friend want to split a booster box. Of course we will want to keep some cards, but also we want to get money rares which we can sell on card shark, possibly make a profit, but more likely not make a profit and instead use the money to buy more booster boxes.

I was thinking onslaught because I really want the fetchlands, but he was thinking Shards because all of the top planeswalkers people want and also it is T2 legal so it will sell faster.

Which would be the most profitable booster box and from experience can you name the best sites to buy them? Thank you, and i hope naming magic card sites isnt against forum rules
Usually internet sites will sell it for around $80 + shipping. Local stores will probably sell it for $100+.
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Honestly though, you two will be hard pressed to profit off of buying booster boxes, much less earning enough money to buy additional boxes. That is, unless you're using some sort of mapping method to pull chase rares and then sell the rest of the unopened boosters; there's a thread about that around here somewhere. You guys would be saving a lot of money just buying the singles you want otherwise.
well we want more cards, cuz hes brand new and i just came back after quitting when mirrodin came out, so we want to keep lots of the cards, any that will help us, and then sell if we get any expensives, such as elspeth.

Even if its not to make a profit, which booster box do you reccomend out of current sets? Lorwyn? I was thinking shards as it will be in T2 a long time. We'd get M10 but it is sold out everywhere and costs like 100 for a booster box at cheapest. Out of the alara block, which is the best set, I'd say shards but conflux has some good cards too...
i remember seeing a chart somewhere that shards/conflux boosters arent worth the price. the chances of a money rare is just too low. the only reason to buy a box of conflux is really for the uncommons.
are you from the Portland,OR/Vancouver,WA area? Join http://community.wizards.com/pdxmagic the PDX magic group.
i remember seeing a chart somewhere that shards/conflux boosters arent worth the price. the chances of a money rare is just too low. the only reason to buy a box of conflux is really for the uncommons.

I remember seeing a chart somewhere about how buying any booster box is not likely to make your money back.
some booster boxes are worth more than others. my buddy bought his m10 box for 85. sold his money rares for about 150 altogether.
are you from the Portland,OR/Vancouver,WA area? Join http://community.wizards.com/pdxmagic the PDX magic group.
some booster boxes are worth more than others. my buddy bought his m10 box for 85. sold his money rares for about 150 altogether.

He got fortunate. What about somebody who doesn't get any chase rares in their box?

Basically if you buy boxes to sell singles and try to make back money you won't unless you buy cases at a time.
you are more likely to lose money then gain it back but for getting a boat lode of cards to just playing casual. Ussually my friends keep most of the rares but if you get some that you really just don't need you can sell them to make the next buy a little less painful, cuz I don't know about you but 100 bucks is a pain to pay.
If people could make a profit opening booster boxes, booster boxes wouldn't be on sale.
you are more likely to lose money then gain it back but for getting a boat lode of cards to just playing casual. Ussually my friends keep most of the rares but if you get some that you really just don't need you can sell them to make the next buy a little less painful, cuz I don't know about you but 100 bucks is a pain to pay.

exactly! im accepting we wont make profit probably, now im just wondering which is the best to buy a box of.

saviors and champions of kamigawa are $64 but i think those sets suck.

Im wondering now which is the best booster box if you want to get back in the game, and also for a noob friend?

M10 is my choice but its sold out and expensive.

For me its between lorwyn, ravnica, timespiral or Shards. Can you give recomendations though of your opinions? We dont care about type 2 that much but maybe T2 cards are more expensive to sell JUST IN CASE we got any expensive ones
M10 booster boxes are one of the best in recent times to try to make a profit. There was an article on starcity concerning this.
so m10 is worth $100? Or $50 for 18 packs if we split the cost?

so $2.77 a pack....hmmm

And shards of alara and conflux really have mostly crap rares? Lorwyn has Cryptic command but i didnt see any other cards that caught my attention when skimming through it.

Does anyone know when M10 boxes will get reprinted and sold again?
The best way to make money by buying boxes is draft them yourself. You don't have to pay steep prices for packs (one of my LGSs, Superstars, wants $4 for a pack of M10 and $140 a box), and you get to draft them. Opening a box is like opening a pack of Beta; the value goes down instantly.
The best way to make money by buying boxes is draft them yourself. You don't have to pay steep prices for packs (one of my LGSs, Superstars, wants $4 for a pack of M10 and $140 a box), and you get to draft them. Opening a box is like opening a pack of Beta; the value goes down instantly.

what do u mean draft it yourselff>? just buy single packs at a time
He got fortunate. What about somebody who doesn't get any chase rares in their box?

Basically if you buy boxes to sell singles and try to make back money you won't unless you buy cases at a time.

Just to be sure that I understand properly...you're not saying that it is impossible to make a profit by buying a booster box, opening it, then selling the singles....you're just saying that the odds aren't really in your favor. When you buy cases at a time, you are raising the likelyhood that you will get the money cards and break a profit.

Similarly, you're more likely to break a profit if you open a booster box and sell it for singles than if you pick up a single pack. You COULD get a really nice money rare in it and make a 3-4x profit, but odds are, you won't.

I think it is also interesting to point out that, as you buy more and more boxes/cases/pallets/etc. of product, while the likelyhood of making a profit increases, the potential profit actually drops.

The lowest booster box price I've seen for a set legal in Standard is around $78, so $80 plus shipping is pretty good. Check shipping costs and you might save a few bucks if you go with store A over store B.

Personally I would wait for the M10 booster box prices to drop down to something more normal, which will happen after the shortage is over and dealers are sitting on boxes that won't move at the $110+ price.

Before you buy a box of any set take a look at all the cards in the set and make a list of the cards you most want to find in your box. Find the value of the cards and decide if you'd rather buy a box and hope for some of those cards (because you definitely won't find all of the rares in one box) or just buy those specific cards as singles. You're not guaranteed a playset of commons or uncommons in a box. I opened a box of Lorwyn and didn't get a single Shriekmaw.

The person who suggested you draft the box yourself means you should call your friend(s) over and run a draft with the boosters. Hand out sleeves so the cards aren't ruined and at the end of the day you collect all the cards. It's just a way to add value to the box, you get a fun day of playing cards with friends and you still have all the cards at the end.

If you don't know how to draft there are instructions online, here's one article: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/academy/13

You can also draft with just two players, this is a good article on Winston drafting (created by Richard Garfield):
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af59
M10 is your best chance to get a prfoitable box, but it's still a crap shoot. If you get that book that shows you how to chart and pick out the bomb rares, you could probabbly pull those, sell them, and then sell the rest of the packs and make $$. But all that does is leave you with a few packs worth of commons and uncommons and an awful lot of hassle for a tiny bit of $$.