MTG Rare Deck Box - Who makes this type?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I bought this on eBay awhile back, but can't find any info on it... any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

IMAGE(http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8597/deckbox1.jpg)
IMAGE(http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2931/deckbox2.jpg)
Thanks,
Jim.
How much did you get it for?

It's pretty sweet.

Allons-y!

Never seen one like it before. Looks handmade.
I did pay alot for it... I think just under or just over 100 bucks...

I don't think it's handmade, but I could be wrong...

I've looked all over the net for info or someone who sells it... no luck.
I'm pretty sure that's handmade, but whoever did it had some wood burning skills.
It's not wood, it's an acrylic or some plastic material. I think acrylic because it's really heavy to be plastic.

I appreciate the help guys...
I want one...
I'm completely bored, can't you tell?
It's not wood, it's an acrylic or some plastic material. I think acrylic because it's really heavy to be plastic.

I appreciate the help guys...

Okay, a sure sign of it being manufactured are seam-like lines somewhere on the product that would indicate it being made from a mold.

Are there any seams?
I don't see any. Maybe it is homemade... It has copyright info about WOTC, but it looks almost like a sharp engraving (like it was professional, but not from a factory), not like it was stamped... I guess that's my answer... pro-am maybe?

I don't know why they'd engrave a copyright if it was a one of a kind... maybe a pro-am planned on making them and selling them? I don't know. Thanks Guys...
Okay, a sure sign of it being manufactured are seam-like lines somewhere on the product that would indicate it being made from a mold.

Are there any seams?

That's called a parting line.
Never seen one like it before. Looks handmade.

That is what I thought when I first saw it. It certainly very cool!
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
IMAGE(http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8597/deckbox1.jpg)
IMAGE(http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2931/deckbox2.jpg)

That is definitely sic an wrong! I want one.
Did you send Wizards an email about it? Bet they can make an Arcana about it if there's a story behind the box.
Did you send Wizards an email about it? Bet they can make an Arcana about it if there's a story behind the box.

That would be, cool I'd like to know the story behind it.
Maybe it's a magic deck box, like in the Indian in the Cupboard. When you put a deck in there, seal it, and take it back out, they become real spells when you use them! Careful not to put a Wrath in there!
I got one at the portal release back in the day.

they're cool looking, but don't hold 75 sleeved cards
Maybe it's a magic deck box, like in the Indian in the Cupboard. When you put a deck in there, seal it, and take it back out, they become real spells when you use them! Careful not to put a Wrath in there!

What happens if you put two Garruks in it?
What happens if you put two Garruks in it?

The first Garruk implodes as the second one is being cast.
Time to cook up a Jhoira of the Ghitu and some Handcuffs...
When you ask a rules question, please autocard. Type [c]Doom Blade[/c] to get Doom Blade.
What Color Am I?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Time to cook up a Jhoira of the Ghitu and some Handcuffs...

Mirror Gallery
I used to have a magic deck box like this. Take it with me on road trips. I used a white deck with 4x Clergy en-Vec.
No, definitely gonna have to go with Jhoira and handcuffs.  Just can't beat that combination.

That is a gorgeous box, congrats on the awesome find!

Someone mentioned a Portal release?  Like, a release event as we know them?
So I bought this deck box from a local shop in Eugene OR. So far this site is the only information about the box I have been able to find. I wounder if it's the same one? What would be the best wat to find out more information on this box?
Around $100 for a freakin deck box? That is insane...
Around $100 for a freakin deck box? That is insane...

Those boxes were released around 1998-1999.  I remember seeing them at the card shop I used to hang out in.  They were pretty expensive, too - around $40.  The owner only got one, and it went to the resident 'deep pockets' guy.  

I bought mine for $50.00 still very expensive but worth the potential collector value. I love this box!
i have this same deck box but it wasn't from a portal release, i got mine for winning a tourney back in 95. maybe because i haven't touched it in over 15 years (took a long hiatus from magic) but mine still has 3 carvings in relief on the inside...

"c 1995 Wizards of the Coast"

"c Wizards of the Coast Inc." and

"Magic: The Gathering is a TM of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. 1995"

no join lines. often wondered how they made this thing... 
I bought this on eBay awhile back, but can't find any info on it... any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim.

WOTC made these back in the mid '90s

Most of them were given away as promotional items. If you went to gaming conventions where WOTC was promoting the game you could get one for winning events as part of a prize package or as random door prizes.

Some were also sent to card stores and were intended to be given away as part of promotional local tournaments. Most of the stores ended up just selling them instead.

As a judge they sent me one of these along with a black t-shirt; on the back was a huge picture of a black lotus and on the front it said official judge or something along those lines. I wish I still had those t-shirts and other promo items, the shirts were alot different than what the judges get now.

no join lines. often wondered how they made this thing... 

Most likely a 3d printer or some other form of layering the plastic.

3d printing has been around since the '80s and had its first big push into the market in the '90s; it could make clean line boxes like this without join lines fairly easily

in fact with a 3d scanner and 3d printer you could probably make these at home for about $1 worth of plastic (though the printer itself is fairly pricy)