Yu-Gi-Oh Invited to play MTG by WotC

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Press/?doc=20090302

Tell me what you guys think about this.

I personally think its great that Wizards is extending its hand out to fellow gamers. It's not just financially a great decision for them, but I believe that politically, they hopefully gonna bring down some tension between MTG and YGO players.

But enough of what I have to say. I wanna know what the general population thinks.
That's quite nice of WotC to do that.

Its also quite an intelligent marketing tactic.
(Which they don't make too often.)
Damn. That's a great maneuver.
Oh man it'll be great to see a bunch of EX YGO PROS now MTG Newbs like make really bad mistakes... (They'll all probably netdeck Boat Brew decks).
Oh man it'll be great to see a bunch of EX YGO PROS now MTG Newbs like make really bad mistakes... (They'll all probably netdeck Boat Brew decks).

Well, that statement was politically savvy.
This sounds like a really cool move on Wizard's part. I know it's easy to construe something like this as just an opportunistic business move, but I like the premise, and the idea of reaching out to fellow card gamers. I hope this brings some enthusiastic new players into the fold.
Also, I think many MTG players underestimate a good YGO players ability. We have this stereo type that they are all dumb and they all cheat, but the fact is most of the players who qualified for Nats could probably smash the majority of MTG players after only playing for a month or so.

I know lots of YGO players played YGO over MTG just because the field is so much easier to play against.
Also, I think many MTG players underestimate a good YGO players ability. We have this stereo type that they are all dumb and they all cheat, but the fact is most of the players who qualified for Nats could probably smash the majority of MTG players after only playing for a month or so.

I know lots of YGO players played YGO over MTG just because the field is so much easier to play against.

I don't know. I played at a Regionals once and there were a lot of good decks, but most of the people there were hyper elitists. (But that may just be my area.)

Ummm... No. I don't say they're not good at cards, on the contrary, maybe they are, but someone who's new to MTG is new to MTG, whatever the circumstances. They probably won't think about all the subtlety of being good at Magic, like not overextending, casting after attacking, etc. It takes time to learn those things.
Very good move by WotC. Not only does it boost their public image but it draws in more players and $. The interesting thing is probably going to be seeing how many actually do well. If you play one card game pro-competitively I would think that another card game wouldn't be that difficult to learn and play with the amount of time they have. I'm sure some play magic on the side too so thats another group that will have an advantage.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Hmm. When I saw the thread title I thought they'd have Yugi trying out M:tG in the cartoon.

This is a good move though, especially if those guys get a taste for it and go back and tell their friends they had fun.
Hmm. When I saw the thread title I thought they'd have Yugi trying out M:tG in the cartoon.

Like they had him do in the DDM mini saga?
Smart move is smart.
Like they had him do in the DDM mini saga?

My Yugi-fu sucks. Did that really happen, or was it some made up game that was obviously ripped off of Magic?
My Yugi-fu sucks. Did that really happen, or was it some made up game that was obviously ripped off of Magic?

You must be thinking of something else. What I meant by DDM was "Dungeon Dice Monsters".
It was basically another game entirely but had nearly the same creatures as the card game did.

Sorry.
like not overextending, casting after attacking, etc. It takes time to learn those things.

im no expert but I think they have these things in ygo also.
You must be thinking of something else. What I meant by DDM was "Dungeon Dice Monsters".
It was basically another game entirely but had nearly the same creatures as the card game did.

Sorry.

D'oh! Now that you mention it, I think I remember that, lol.

im no expert but I think they have these things in ygo also.

Yeah, a lot of it can be reapplied in different ways, though they might fall foul of things like putting damage on the stack before bouncing, and things like that.
I played started playing Yugioh while I played Magic, though I later stopped playing Yugioh because it was cost prohibitive to play both games. I never played Yugioh as nearly competitively as Magic, only going to local tournaments and this was a while ago so I may be somewhat dated, but my impression was that it would be easier to go from Magic to Yugioh. Magic had far more stringent and complex rules. Many skills carried over from Magic and I'm sure it would work the other way too but probably to a lesser extent. Even so in the end there are still the nuances that take some of time to learn.
Hopefully two of them play eachother and one flips a Cryptic, countering a main phase spell and tapping his opponents creatures while he says "You've walked into my Trap Card!"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
Does this mean WotC is also going to make Magic Dice Monsters?
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Magic is simply a much more advanced and complex game. Most yugi players only have to think about building their decks and side decks to handle Mirror matches and maybe 2-3 other good decks.
\
Nice business move on WOTC's part though.
Magic is simply a much more advanced and complex game.

But that doesn't mean YGO is all easy all the time. There's a lot more depth there than most Magic players like to admit. It's just a much different game- no resource system to speak of means that things tend to get out of hand a lot quicker.

Either way I really like this move on WotC's part.
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've got to ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well!
Interesting idea...seems like a good prong of their "ZOMG! We want new players!" theme, and a better idea than the cheapo packs...granted, that isbn't saying much.

Presumably, the factors that make someone a top-caliber player at one TCG will help someone with another, even if there's a big learning curve with the specifics of the other game.

Not sure how many will actually switch, though.
Magic player since July 2004. Timmy/Vorthos/Spike.

Originally Posted by {mikeyG}, MTGS admin "[i]n my book, the real cool people are the ones who say "**** what everyone else does just to fit in, I'm going to do what I want." "Gonna take these haters down, and toast them like some Eggo's, man..." - K. Flay, 'We have Arrived' It's Worldwake preorder time: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75850/22196965/KingAlans_Worldwake_preorder_thread

Well, more players for Magic is always a good thing for WotC, it probably means more boosters sold (Looking at the Boosters, Magic apparently looks more of a steal than YGO, since we have 15-Card Boosters [Or 6, for that matter]).

More newbies in Magic is always good for those professional heartless people out there who willl convince people that their Steam Vents are useless and should trade them for something with high 'attack and defense', like a Fusion Elemental.

Of course if they jump straight into the tournament scene, expect easy wins.

But from the way most YGO decks are similar, expect a rise of netdeckers after a while.
But that doesn't mean YGO is all easy all the time. There's a lot more depth there than most Magic players like to admit.

If by depth you mean their pockets then yeah.It costs $$$ to play that game.
Also, I think this is very unfair if they just let em play. The MTG players earned their Invite by excelling at MTG, not Yugi-oh
Also, I think this is very unfair if they just let em play. The MTG players earned their Invite by excelling at MTG, not Yugi-oh

Yeah, something about that doesn't sit well with me. They'd have to get competitive fast in order to compete.
They'd have to get the cards, learn the game, learn the finer points of play, learn what the top decks are, etc....

If that happened to me I'd just say "I like the offer but there's no way I could compete with my grizzly bears.dec."
Talk about recruiting the cream of the crop from yugioh. It's a nice gesture, I'm not really sure too many of them will take up the offer to make a huge impact anyway.

When I first saw the thread title I though the real life Yu-Gi-Oh started playing magic. He would be one tough player using his secret tech the heart of the cards. Oh yeah and this would be a good place to insert that smiley.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
But that doesn't mean YGO is all easy all the time. There's a lot more depth there than most Magic players like to admit. It's just a much different game- no resource system to speak of means that things tend to get out of hand a lot quicker.

Either way I really like this move on WotC's part.

In general yugioh is easy. Granted yugioh isn't easy , per se, to play at an advanced level(regional level and higher), but it doesn't come close to being as difficult as Magic. I am a Yugioh player(3 years), a WoW player(2 years), and a Magic player(6 months) so I can honestly say that Magic is far more complex and requires more skill than Yu-gi-oh.
I know it's easy to construe something like this as just an opportunistic business move

Of course it is. Don't pretend it's anything but.
but I like the premise, and the idea of reaching out to fellow card gamers.

It does say "hey, we're not going to drop you like a rock when the IP holders waffle."

Brilliant move, all around.
Very slick move.

It's interesting that so many of WOTC recent changes to MTG were to go after YGH players (40 card intro decks, six card boosters). With YGH on thin ice, I wonder if WOTC would go back to 60 card decks and maybe even bring back Tournament packs?
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Very slick move.

It's interesting that so many of WOTC recent changes to MTG were to go after YGH players (40 card intro decks, six card boosters). With YGH on thin ice, I wonder if WOTC would go back to 60 card decks and maybe even bring back Tournament packs?

if they can bring in enough of the YGO support i dont see why they wouldnt try to switch it back.
make it feel like home and then show them what home really is.
Talk about recruiting the cream of the crop from yugioh. It's a nice gesture, I'm not really sure too many of them will take up the offer to make a huge impact anyway.

When I first saw the thread title I though the real life Yu-Gi-Oh started playing magic. He would be one tough player using his secret tech the heart of the cards. Oh yeah and this would be a good place to insert that smiley.

You mean Nassif and his little card calling trick?
Hopefully two of them play eachother and one flips a Cryptic, countering a main phase spell and tapping his opponents creatures while he says "You've walked into my Trap Card!"

That would be epic.
IMAGE(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/Guardman/MTGDarkness3.jpg) http://forums.mtgdarkness.com/ MTGDarkness: A Magic: the Gathering forum.

I completely agree. Yeah there thing was cancelled, but it was for a totally different game. Maybe if it was held in another room at the place and it was them playing Yu-Gi-Oh, but getting an automatic in to Magic Nats when the rest of us have to compete to play and win an invite or last chance grinder is a total slap in the face when all we would have had to do was be going to Yu-Gi-Oh nats. If WotC wants them to play let them win there spot in a grinder, don't just hand them a free spot because Konami sucks.
All I can say about this is

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/mnemonics/1235664063234.jpg)
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

Even if they do netdeck the top decks, Magic, with all its rules and nuances, is not a game that you can just pick up just because you pick up a lot of good cards.

"My Kitchen Finks attacks your Surveilling Sprite."

Great move by WotC, though.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Its the same reason why GM owns both Chevrolet and Cadillac.

As the buyer grows older, they can grow into new products. Its a brilliant move. Its a chance to sell product to buyers who we know are prone to buying product. These players have proven that they like trading card games, have the income to support the hobby, and actively look for opportunities to get involved in the game. Its a perfect target audience, and its a perfect opportunity.

They get to do the "gentlemanly" thing of inviting players in. It makes all those players' hard work not be wasted.

PS: I'm sure there's some company buacrat though who says that Hasbro has to do something. Hasbro sales are hasbro sales, you know? But thats the negative image.
I always enjoy the possibility of bringing people from Yu-Gi-Oh to Magic. I don't know anybody who actually thinks Yu-Gi-Oh is a better game, not that it isn't a good one in its own right. The biggest thing I've noticed about Yu-Gi-Oh is that it's a game of paranoia. The entire game can get turned around by a single card very easily, and the game often turns into each player just trading the lead practically every turn. The ability to come back is great, but it's meaningless if it happens all the time.

In regards to the players, I'm sure none of them could possibly make top 8, but they will definitely surprise Magic regulars. They'll know how to do their homework, and many principles that exist in Yu-Gi-Oh also exist in Magic, just in different forms. The only thing I can see them having some difficulty with is working the idea of a mana curve, but netdecking will go a long way to fixing that. Heck, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of them makes a rough version of an undiscovered super deck.
How great would it be if one of these guys totally dominated, and while winning the final round, used all kinds of over-the-top YuGiOh! terminology just to **** off MTG purists. That's what I'd do.