Ravnica; Your views

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ravnica is my favourte Magic block so far. I thought I'd strat a threat for people to discuse their view on the Ravnica Block.

I like Ravnica for it's Hybrid and cards. They really work well. Some make your deck less contrained since you may not need all the mana of the Creatures colour, instend, just use it's other colour! lol

Exsamples;
Boros Recruit
Wild Cantor
Boros Guildmage
Orzhov Guildmage
Gaze of the Gorgon
Shielding Plax

And, of coruse, some great multi-colour cards that are not Hybrids;

Boros Swiftblade
Castigate
Culling Sun
Souls of the Faultless
Assault Zeppelid
Overrule
Windreaver

To name just a few.

Tell me your view on Ravnica and any cards that you may or may not like.

Thanks!
I like the setting of ravnica, the city, the guilds, giving each guild a two-color combination and a unique keyword... It had a lot of flavour and has something to offer for every type of player or deck.
My favourite cards from Ravnica are Doubling Season, Glimpse the Unthinkable and Ghostway. The Double Lands (Blood Crypt, Godless Shrine ect.) are a great way to fix multicolored Decks manabase, but then they are too expensive for my budget, but hey that's just my problem right.

211b5f1df55fe4cffefbfe2a1e9d2e8f.jpg?v=10500 "We have no need for military might. We wield two of the sharpest swords ever forged: Faith in our left hand, Wealth in our right."

Hey kids! Do you like Slivers?
If you like Slivers, why not join The Hive? A group dedicated to gather everything there is to know about these fascinating creatures. The Hive: A Sliver Database
I am an Izzet/Orzhov amateur. Both guild leaders were incredible, as is Teysa, Orzhov Scion.
Thanks, guys!

Although I'd say that I'm more of a Boros player (My favourtie colour combo is White/Red), I still made all ten Ravnica Guilds into decks (with my own flare), and I play them often.
Orzhov is a great Guild. Although the theme of the Guild was both life drain and card discarding, I preferd to focus mainly on life drain. I put cards in it like Souls of the Faultless, Pillory of the Sleepless, Orzhov Guildmage, Infectious Host, Blind Hunter. As you can see, life drain, pure and simple. I just love to bleed them by 1-2 life every turn! . But I also had Castigate in to deal with any unwelcomes to the Church. lol
I liked Izzet, but I could never work it well.
I wouldn't mind a return to Ravnica. It was the last good setting when it comes to flavor. (Not counting Alara until I get the book)
I'm glad its gone, and could only hope it would take its mechanic-spam approach with it. The flavor and individual cards were nice (Though if you call my / control deck "Dimir" one more time...) but the design of the block was... Well, I think it was a low point

Sidenote: I don't get on Time Spiral's case because it didn;t spam "block" mechanics. it treated everything as evergreen and properly developed 2-3 block mechanics. Future sight though... wag of my finger, but that was its gimmick. The guilds could have been done WITHOUT ten keywords over three sets.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I was very happy with Ravnica and I would not have objected to starting back up a year sooner than I did. With the perspective of Time Spiral, though, I was able to take in the whole block. The "cake" method probably didn't sit all that well with current players, I could see that. The color pairs provided most of the separation thematically between the sets (much like Eventide).

I think it was beautifully designed flavorfully, and for the most part they did a good job fleshing out color pairs into guilds. In fact I liked the flavor so much that I even like most of the bad cards in the set. The color fixing was very good and I am sure that had to have helped limited. For me it gives me common mana fixing for my online collection, which is 100% commons. And the ten shocklands are second only to the old duals.

Aside from that, they did end up forcing some of the mechanics. Haunt comes to mind. Also the power level seemed a little uneven on many of the cards. But overall, I think it was a great block. As far as I am concerned it has not been bettered, even though I liked Time Spiral and Shadowmoor.
Was ANYbody a good guy in that block?
I liked Izzet, but I could never work it well.

Izzet wasn't so great in block construct(but it was lot of fun in extended).
No one Guild was really a good guy, Pycho. In my openion, Boros, Selesnya and Azorius were the closest, but even they had their flaws;
Boros was a fundimentalist Guild which, although strive for peace and the distruction of evil, I kinda get the feeling that they may have also borderd on fascism. I mean, take a look at the flavour text for Brightflame and Searing Meditation.
Selesnya also like peace, but they don't seem to like civilation and again, I get the feeling that they are fumdementals Look at Glare of Subdual.
Azurious are Ravinica's goverment, yet it seems ot me that they like to make compliacted laws that no ones understand for reasons belond me. I also feel that they fear change in soicity and try and keep things they way they are. Take a look at Prahv, Spires of Order, Soulsworn Jury and Swift Silence.

Still; You can't have every one being good, now can you? Makes it more fun if evey Guild has a flaw.
They did assemble a rag-tag pile of heroes from six of the guilds in the books. But yeah, any one guild actually be 100% good would have hampered the back story. The Guildpact wasn't exactly a "best friends forever" treaty.
Still; You can't have every one being good, now can you? Makes it more fun if evey Guild has a flaw.

I guess, it's just kinda weird.
I do not like the Ravnica setting. The Guilds are interesting, but personally I have never enjoyed urban dystopias, or any setting that is 100% urban. And after Mirrodin and Kamigawa, I found the whole dystopia/apocalyptic setting theme to be overdone.

However, I am glad the setting didn't have any perfect "good guys."

I never played the set, so I can't comment on the playability. Hybrid is a great innovation, though.
Please note: unless I'm trying to be sarcastic or humorous, most of my posts are very literal. Don't try to "read between the lines" because there is usually nothing there. I try not to imply anything when I write.
They did assemble a rag-tag pile of heroes from six of the guilds in the books. But yeah, any one guild actually be 100% good would have hampered the back story. The Guildpact wasn't exactly a "best friends forever" treaty.

Well i liked it that there was no really good guy in the setting, really good guys are boring and one dimensional...

211b5f1df55fe4cffefbfe2a1e9d2e8f.jpg?v=10500 "We have no need for military might. We wield two of the sharpest swords ever forged: Faith in our left hand, Wealth in our right."

Hey kids! Do you like Slivers?
If you like Slivers, why not join The Hive? A group dedicated to gather everything there is to know about these fascinating creatures. The Hive: A Sliver Database
I think my favorite cards from Ravnica were the basic lands. IMO, they were the most original landss yet.
However, the several booster packs I bought did not have many good cards. I think it would have been better if each guild had a theme instead of a keyword. Mechanics like Replicate and Forecast seemed like they would have been very good keywords had there been room to develope them.
I though the hybrid cards were a very neat idea at the time, but after Shadowmoor/Eventide, I hope they don't show up again too soon.
the rakdos were pretty much good guys, from what I can tell.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

The Selesnya were good guys too. ( if it weren't for that culty brainwashing )
I love Ravnica favorite set of all time! Although I personally wish there was a good guy guild I mean there must be one guild with just good intentions although in politics there aren't any real good guys.

Boros is my favorite!

My brother adores the Orzhou.
I Love Ravnica its may favorite block and I wish they could one day take us back to the plane. My favorite guild was cult of rakdos.
the rakdos were pretty much good guys, from what I can tell.

I'm curious; Why do you think that the Rakdos were goods guys? They killed people for fun and planned to break the Guildpact (if you have read the story.), And was the only Guild who did not publicly adhear to the Guildpact Rules.
well i must say the ravnica deck revitilized magic in my community. i saw the dual colors of each deck and nearly jumped out of my skin. i had 30 people playing again for the first time in five years. and the other thing Rakdos was not the one trying to destroy the guildpact it was szadek that wanted the guilds destroyed and argus was an unwitting pawn and help him you need to read the books over again for you to understand what was going on in the plane
What he meant was that the Rakdos guild was the only one toOPENLY break the rules of the guildpact.
And in case you didn't want to apply your advice yourself, Rakdos himself(the demon, not the guild) tried to destroy the entire city in the last tome.
well ok ty
Rakdos FTW!!
Nice artwork, didn't effect any of my decks, and it gave me Telling Time.
I think ravnica was a great thread, but it also had a fatal flaw.
My only issue with it was that there was far less creativity involved with making decks unless you were mixing and matching guilds, which pretty much no one did. However, I would prompt people to think of fun combos of the old stuff and ravnica block. (Ex. Dredge and a thrull Songs of the Damned)
Sign In to post comments