[ALA] Some art and Card names

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whoa, Empyrial Arhangel looks great. Also, the Hellion art looks strangely familiar, is this because basically all hellions look alike?
whatcolor_isred.jpg
Since I'm nice and all, I'm gonna put the pictures up here.











@hallodri: Yeah, all Hellions look the same.

Interesting. So we get a peek at Ajani pre-ascension. Or is it some cat warrior serving under him? And looks like we have our Alara dragon.

The art is beautiful. I like the fact that the art in recent sets are getting better and better.

Edit: Wait, could it be another version of Ajani?
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
I'm more inclined to think that Ajani Vengeant is a new version of Ajani. A new planeswalker, but with the Ajani suntype.

Also, Archdemon is rather freaky. I don't know you guys, but there's something disturbing about a demon with screaming faces on its shoulders.

Am I the only one who is reminded of the Squiggoth looking at Godsire?
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
:OMG! :OMG! :OMG!

That is the nicest art I've seen. Positively love the Squire, Battlegrace, Windwright, Hellion and Godsire. The Hellion looks DuelMasterish, IMO, but still excellent.

And we have an Ajani. Cool. Looks like the white plane will be full of lions. And angels.

Me loves Windwright's filigree FTW.

Predator Dragon looks like it's blasting fire at wolf-men.

Godsire really reminds me of Imperiosaur. :D

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
I see archdemon has the classic floating mini-fireball that Magic demons keep over thair heads (as seen in Lord of the Pit).

Also, why is Battlegrace angel surrounded by spiralling money? Are they Kamigawa-style, spirit-object thingys?
can't wait til october, must raid WotC
Fascinating.

I like the art for Ajani (and it is clearly Ajani, given the choice of weapon, the loincloth, and the missing eye). And the filigree-armed windwright mage is very well done.
Empyrial Archangel Is probably the most amazing art I have ever seen. I personally believe that is Ajani too. I hope they don't bring all of the planeswalkers back yet, but just have them pop into random sets in the future
I don't know if Ajani's ascended yet - because of the weapon. His bio says that he becomes a planeswalker when his brother dies, and he fuses together his and his brother's weapons. There's only one blade visible in the art.

Of course, that would mean he ascended before the Aurora... but not before the events of this new set? Likely an artist's mistake. What do you think the chances are that Vol is actually Garruk?
Well Ajani Goldmane's art doesn't really particularly seem like it depicts him with a double weapon, either. There's another weapon strapped to him behind him. Other visual cues to consider are that he's missing an eye, and the first Ajani isn't, and that his weapon is bloodstained, indicating that he could be getting or got revenge for his brother's death.
Shift+Enter = Line Break
VENGEFUL CATMAN WAS VENGEFUL
Since I'm nice and all, I'm gonna put the pictures up here.


Ajani Vengeant - could be the GW walker in alara? (assuming the cycle of 5 allied colour walkers)

Archdemon - Best overly creepy art I can think of.

Battlegrace Angel - Damn impressive

Windwright Mage - Go go filigree!
Well Ajani Goldmane's art doesn't really particularly seem like it depicts him with a double weapon, either. There's another weapon strapped to him behind him. Other visual cues to consider are that he's missing an eye, and the first Ajani isn't, and that his weapon is bloodstained, indicating that he could be getting or got revenge for his brother's death.

goldmane is clearly holding a 'double weapon'; there's a big metal axish head at each end.

the fact that his weapon in the new picture only has one head strongly implies that it's pre-ascension, and not just a different point in his 'walking career.
the fact that his weapon in the new picture only has one head strongly implies that it's pre-ascension, and not just a different point in his 'walking career.

I don't get this logic.
I don't get this logic.

/me points to play on wards's post
Wow, Angels wearing practical armor.
It could be hidden behind his body. Or, he could have broken it off in respect for his brother when he got revenge, etc, etc.
goldmane is clearly holding a 'double weapon'; there's a big metal axish head at each end.

the fact that his weapon in the new picture only has one head strongly implies that it's pre-ascension, and not just a different point in his 'walking career.

Perhaps the weapon broke during the fight that he lost his left eye in.
Who cares? Any type of cat deserves to be exterminated. If it's Ajani, he deserved it.

Remind me never to let you anywhere near my cats.
Lorwyn already messes with the timeline on some serious levels. I'm not even going to hope they straighten it out now.

Just to see if someone can correct me (as I could very well be wrong), the Aurora happening early was one of those planar events occuring from the craziness of Time Spiral (like Ravnica's issues). However, the new planeswalkers come to Lorwyn, BEFORE it turns to Shadowmoor. Meaning they had new walkers before Time Spiral happened. Of course, as I said, I could be wrong. A storyline guru should come and slap me if so.
Gleemax Roleplaying - An all inclusive freeform roleplay. Build characters, armies, and bases from any source material imaginable to enter into epic wars and deadly battles.
Check out the other PbP games around:
Real AdventuresPbP HavenThe Guild House
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesCOre COliseum
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionD20 Modern
Coalition War GameParanoia ParadiseMagic Puzzles, Fun, & Games!
:OMG! :OMG! All of the art is absolutely beautiful. Even Godsire.

If the rest of the art keeps up with this, this could be my favorite set, even with "Mythic Rares".
I'm not surprised that the first art images we have gotten are amazingly fantastic, as it helps to hype the set.

Let's hope the whole set keeps it up, which I think it will!

This thread just found me a new desktop wallpaper!
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I'm betting Empyrial Archangel is a flying Maro
Wow, Angels wearing practical armor.

They swapped the impracticall armor for impractical weapons in this set it seems :P. Anyhow, I love the art, even though Filgree still creeps me out even more then that demon thingy...
As a Vorthos, I will offer my highly experienced opinion ;). I think that Ajani Vengeant is part of a clan or religious order that worships (or at least revere) Ajani Goldmane. The weapon and eye are signs of respect for him.
This Ajani's axe does have 2 heads, you can see part of the second blade and the lashing behind his right foot.
This Ajani's axe does have 2 heads, you can see part of the second blade and the lashing behind his right foot.

I see a lashing but not a blade. I see a daggar blade behind his left leg. My guess is this is a mythic rare pre-ascension card. But I'm excited to find out. :D
Archdemon: Want.
Windwright Mage: What walkss down stairs, alone or in pairs...

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
SD: Planeswalkers didn't go to Lorwyn. They are flavorly seperate from the Lorwyn block altogether, if I'm not mistaken.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
*really* liking the Windwright Mage.

Want it as avatar, want it to be playable for my EDH deck.

Cheers, LT.
Wow. The sort of high-fantasty/Narnia look is a very refreshing contrast to the style of Llorwyn/Shadowmoor (which were great in their own right). I'm really excited to see where this set goes flavor-wise.
Nice art so far. I like the Ajani one a lot. I wonder if he will have some relation to the one in Lorwyn.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I see a lashing but not a blade. I see a daggar blade behind his left leg. My guess is this is a mythic rare pre-ascension card. But I'm excited to find out. :D

I think the lashing is actually on the foot itself, there's something like it on the other foot as well. There is a series of weapon shadows behind him, but neither of them have the right curve for an axe. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were a twin-bladed sword, like the staff in Battlegrace Angel.
SD: Planeswalkers didn't go to Lorwyn. They are flavorly seperate from the Lorwyn block altogether, if I'm not mistaken.

There was that story in an article a while ago, right after Shadowmoor came out. It was of Jace rummaging through dreams of Lorwyn citizens before Shadowmoor showed up.
Gleemax Roleplaying - An all inclusive freeform roleplay. Build characters, armies, and bases from any source material imaginable to enter into epic wars and deadly battles.
Check out the other PbP games around:
Real AdventuresPbP HavenThe Guild House
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesCOre COliseum
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionD20 Modern
Coalition War GameParanoia ParadiseMagic Puzzles, Fun, & Games!
any one thinks that they mai print many Planeswalkers Ajani with diferent names and abilities but they all share the Ajani subtipe?
any one thinks that they mai print many Planeswalkers Ajani with diferent names and abilities but they all share the Ajani subtipe?

It's certainly a possibility, no one's denying that.
any one thinks that they mai print many Planeswalkers Ajani with diferent names and abilities but they all share the Ajani subtipe?

why else would the subtype exist?
my new deck: Bears with Weapons
Maybe the planeswalkers shift in color.

That Ajani looks quite green to me.
my new deck: Bears with Weapons
So leonin originated in Alara, apparently? I'm glad to see them back, they've always been a pet tribe of mine.

Ajani is almost certainly pre-walker or possibly post Lorwyn. Any other theory is out of the question. Pre-walker makes a lot of sense if this is his homeland and because his scythe is mising it's bottom head.
Either they originated their, or they evolved seperately, like the vedalken on Ravnica
Sign In to post comments