magic vs yu gi oh

232 posts / 0 new
Last post
who the hell says yu gi oh is thriving while magic is dying lol, every yu gi oh tourny i see is 8 or less people magic tournies ive seen have tons more ppl playing and bi standers. okay so there calling yu gi oh the number one collectible card game which may be true but its all little children who collect and who dont go to tournies and half of which prolly dont even know how to play. so boo on yu gi oh the death of magic comes when the earth explodes.

Discuss.
This is going to be a completely unbiased opinion for a forum dedicated for Magic.
haha i dont think so ive played both actually yu gi oh for 6 some odd years
magic tournies ive seen have tons more ppl playing and bi standers.
Discuss.

Are you sure they were "bi standers"?
Are you sure they were "bi standers"?

Of course. They were standing on two surfaces at once.
you know they all stand with one foot on the table and one on the floor to insure maximum thinking capacity.
Of course. They were standing on two surfaces at once.

I was setting you up for the obvious joke and you delivered better than expected.
I was setting you up for the obvious joke and you delivered better than expected.

I was considering the obvious joke, but it was too easy.

Plus, I doubt some people on this forum would appreciate throw-away jokes to bisexuality.
Normally I'd like to give a detailed, thoughtful opinion as this is a topic that I love to share my view on. Unfortunately, I refuse to share my carefully considered insight with someone who simultaneously has bad grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. Good day, sir.

(BTW, I don't mean to steal Insulter_of_Bad_Grammar's thunder.)

EDIT: Hey, I appreciate throw-away bi jokes. At least my kind get some recognition. Gays get all the fun. Phooey!
I have one thing to say.

Yu-Gi-Oh is !stupid!. Lol.
who the hell says yu gi oh is thriving while magic is dying lol

Who indeed!
It's pretty pointless to post a rebutal to an opinion no one seems to have in the first place. If someone has such an opinion, then maybe you should try discussing it with that person, but I doubt you will find such a person on a MtG board.
Discuss

Well, let us continue under the assumption that Yu-gi-oh and Magic players alike both enjoy their card game. This seems quite obvious and would probably not be disproved in most case studies - in either game. Though I know little about Yu-Gi-Oh!, I will concede that it was a popular game at least two or three years ago, when commericals galore would appear on my television set, broadcasting messages of TV shows and new Prereleases. I have not heard much of them since, because I do not actively pursue the goings and comings of a card game that is no longer my business.
Magic has fared better, I think, but only because I know more about it. Attendance in tournaments worldwide has been soaring since Ravnica, but only just came down with the cancellation with the JSS and other tournaments.
Furthermore, I do not believe this is a fair discussion for a Magic board. You cannot discuss a debated topic with a neutral attitude in a board biased towards one of the subjects. Besides, if such a neutral environment existed, both sides of the argument would generally only recognize and perceive their card game. In other words, both would fall prey to the availability heuristc. The YuGiOh crowd will see their game as soaring, since it is fresh on their mind, and the Magic as dying since the only thing they heard about it recently is the cancellation of the JSS, for instance. The Magic crowd will see their game as soaring, because everyone is enjoying the new sets. However, they will have heard next to nothing about the opposition, because they don't follow. Therefore YuGiOh must be dying.

So, in conclusion, your topic will lead to inconclusive conclusions.
Magic is better because you dont have to calculate in the thousands.
Magic is better because you dont have to calculate in the thousands.

You do realize you could divide every number by 10 or 100 and you wouldn't need to, right?

I have no idea why they don't just do that. Do they actually have guys with stats that don't end in 00?

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

You do realize you could divide every number by 10 or 100 and you wouldn't need to, right?

I have no idea why they don't just do that. Do they actually have guys with stats that don't end in 00?

I attack you for 9.2.....

I attack you for 9.2.....

Silly Gard. Walls can't attack.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Time for me, as buff in both games, to speak about playability.

There's a reason that the banned list of Yu-Gi-Oh virtually only has non-creature cards. Many of the mechanics of the game are inherently broken.
Free spells? Yes, that is broken. And then they hit you with the Free Plague Wind (Rageki), free WoG (Dark Hole), Free Counsel of The Soratami (Pot of Greed), Free... hell, was there ever a magic card that could get a creature back from your opponent's graveyard? (Monster Reborn)...
Broken.

And then there are the creatures. Everything in yu-gi-oh is either great or crap. Ex: 90% of ALL yu-gi-oh cards are NOT playable. I mean, we speak of strictly better here... compare following:

Monster 1
6 stars (needs one tribute)
Normal Monster
2200/1500

Now, compare that to this:

Monster 2
6 Stars
Instants cannot be played.
2400/1500

See my point?
Also, there's the issue of power creep. Recently, they were so 'proud' for making a 2000-attack 4-star, the largest of its class without a debilitating drawback. In the same set, they also broke the record for 6-stars, too. They're PROUD of that? I can't imagine. It's power creep.

And lets talk decks.

Snatch Steal
Heavy Storm
Mystical Space Typhoon
Mirror Force
Torrential Tribute
Ring of Destruction
Call of the Haunted
Jinzo
Raiza the Storm Monarch
Cyber Dragon
Treeborn Frog
Sangan

That list of cards is the list of cards that were present in virtually every deck of the 2007 championship top 8. That is one hell of a long list for a game where decks are 40 cards. Sure, there were differences... One guy decided to play a deck that WASN'T the same monarch/cyber stompy; but burner decks are nothing new to yu-gi-oh.

Also, the system of multiple levels of rare is TOTAL ********.
You open a pack of yu-gi-oh, and your rare is a card where the only shiny thing is the title, you just got a crap rare. That can also happen with super, or hell, sometimes even ultra rare. But at least those have a rarity. You have to be REALLY lucky to get ANYTHING decent in yu-gi-oh.

So... Broken mechanics Power creep up the ass, Netdecking to an obscene extreme, and bad cards... Oh yeah, and drawing the right 5 cards says 'you win the game'.

My summary of why yu-gi-oh sucks.
Thank you.
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
In the spirit of being an ass, allow me to edit your post so that you can see how blurry the line is here.

There's a reason that the banned list of Magic virtually only has non-creature cards. Many of the mechanics of the game are inherently broken.
Free spells? Yes, that is broken. And then they hit you with the Free Fat Flier (Palinchron), free Control Magic (Treachery), Free Counsel of The Soratami (Frantic Search).

And then there are the creatures. Everything in Magic is either great or crap. Ex: 90% of ALL Magic cards are NOT playable. I mean, we speak of strictly better here... compare following:

Eager Cadet

Creature- Human Soldier
1/1

Savannah Lions

Creature- Lion
2/1

See my point?
Also, there's the issue of power creep. Recently, they were so 'proud' for making 5/5 creatures for 4, the largest of their class without a debilitating drawback. They're PROUD of that? I can't imagine. It's power creep.

You have to be REALLY lucky to get ANYTHING decent in Magic.

So... Broken mechanics Power creep up the ass, Netdecking to an obscene extreme, and bad cards... Oh yeah, and drawing the right 7 cards says 'you win the game'.

My summary of why Magic sucks.
Thank you.

In the spirit of being an ass, allow me to edit your post so that you can see how blurry the line is here.

I would have used gush for the free draw two. Otherwise your point is pretty bad, since you are referencing the same cycle, which Wizards has labeled as a mistake.

Other than that, you do have somewhat of a point, but it is drowned out once you see just how bad the majority of the cards are. Sure in magic you have cards that are sub-optimal, but that's not the same as having most of the cards completely unplayable.

Yeah, I'm so brave for defending Magic on a Magic board, I demand a medal!
@Baron : I would bother replying to your post if it wasn't a silly attempt at trolling. You DO know that what you pointed out in magic were exceptions whereas they are the rule in yu-gi-oh, so I really don't see why I'd bother explaining to you something you already know.
Darksun2012 hit the nail right on the head.

Oh, and BTW: Drawing the right five cards in yu-gi-oh gives an effect that literally says, "YOU WIN THE GAME". In magic, we have force of will.
Who says YuGiOh is #1? Wha?
First off: Echoblade normally i could care less when somebody's spelling is terrible, but please, you're making my eyes bleed. (there is a spellcheck function on these forums)

As for the dicussion: Magic is more complicated, creative, and balanced than Yugioh. That is why i play magic instead of yugioh.
The Rules of Life: 1: Everything burns. 2:If something does not burn see rule 1.
I think Yi-Gi-Oh has a more diverse range of players...
I think Yi-Gi-Oh has a more diverse range of players...

Yeah... it has 5-25 year olds. We have 10-30 year olds.
I think YGO has 5-35 year olds and age isn't the only level of diversity that I was speaking of...
I think YGO has 5-35 year olds and age isn't the only level of diversity that I was speaking of...

I know some black magic players.
I know some black magic players.

IMAGE(http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee265/JetChowMein/MTG/Wow.jpg)
I live in California so race isn't that much of an issue when it comes to something like this. The guys that got me into Magic are Asian and the last person I played against is Latina. Magic is pretty racially diverse but thats not what I was talking about.

How should I put this? Okay, I went to a tournament last Saturday with about 40 plus players at my friends comic book store. I don't play YGO, I was just there to help out because he's in Chicago for the Comicon. I saw emo kids, gangster kids, fathers with their sons and daughters, dorks, jocks, gamers and hardcore TCG players.
People on these boards have really bad joke-gauge-meters. Then again, it's hard to hear tone through posts and forums.
I disagree; I don't think the 'free spell' mechanic in Yugioh is bad. In Magic, we have lands a resource. Yu-gi-oh simply doesn't. But other resources still exist.

Cards in hand, life, and creatures are all resources the two have in common.
Yu-gi-oh could be said to be a better resource-management game than Magic is.
The game is a much more direct representation of mage v. mage.

Sure in magic you have cards that are sub-optimal, but that's not the same as having most of the cards completely unplayable.

50% or more of a set is common-rarity.
90% of a set's commons are Bog Hoodlums.
The higher rarities have no logical rarity rationale.
Most cards are based on the cards designed by a comic book artist (not game designer).

This is why Yu-gi-oh 'is fail'.
D&D 4E Herald and M:tG Rules Advisor I expect posters to follow the Code of Conduct, use Basic Etiquette, and avoid Poor Logic. If you don't follow these guidelines, I consider you to be disrespectful to everyone on these forums. If you respond to me without following these guidelines, I consider it a personal attack. I grew up in a bilingual household, which means I am familiar with the difficulties in adopting a different vocabulary and grammar. That doesn't bother me. Persistent use of bad capitalization, affirming the consequent, and flaming bother me a great deal.
Rule that I would change: 204.1b
204.1b Some effects change an object’s card type, supertype, or subtype but specify that the object retains a prior card type, supertype, or subtype. In such cases, all the object’s prior card types, supertypes, and subtypes are retained. This rule applies to effects that use the phrase “in addition to its types” or that state that something is “still a [card type].” Some effects state that an object becomes an “artifact creature”; these effects also allow the object to retain all of its prior card types and subtypes.
"Eight Edition Rules Update" We eventually decided not to change this template, because players are used to “becomes an artifact creature,” and like it much better.
Players were used to Combat on the Stack, but you got rid of that because it was unintuitive. The only phrase needed is "in addition to its types"; the others are misleading and unintuitive.
I disagree; I don't think the 'free spell' mechanic in Yugioh is bad. In Magic, we have lands a resource. Yu-gi-oh simply doesn't. But other resources still exist.

Cards in hand, life, and creatures are all resources the two have in common.
Yu-gi-oh could be said to be a better resource-management game than Magic is.
The game is a much more direct representation of mage v. mage.

50% or more of a set is common-rarity.
90% of a set's commons are Bog Hoodlums.
The higher rarities have no logical rarity rationale.
Most cards are based on the cards designed by a comic book artist (not game designer).

This is why Yu-gi-oh 'is fail'.

You forget that Magic has a limited format, in which even commons see a lot of play. Yugioh has no limited format, so that game has like 90% jank for no reason at all.
People on these boards have really bad joke-gauge-meters. Then again, it's hard to hear tone through posts and forums.

Note the picture haha.
who the hell says yu gi oh is thriving while magic is dying lol, every yu gi oh tourny i see is 8 or less people magic tournies ive seen have tons more ppl playing and bi standers. okay so there calling yu gi oh the number one collectible card game which may be true but its all little children who collect and who dont go to tournies and half of which prolly dont even know how to play. so boo on yu gi oh the death of magic comes when the earth explodes.

Discuss.

English. Learn it.
You forget that Magic has a limited format, in which even commons see a lot of play. Yugioh has no limited format, so that game has like 90% jank for no reason at all.

No, I didn't forget.
I just didn't see a reason to point it out.
Certain commons show up in Magic decks, too, such as Lightning bolt

If anyone isn't familiar with YGO rules, there's only Legacy and Vintage.
D&D 4E Herald and M:tG Rules Advisor I expect posters to follow the Code of Conduct, use Basic Etiquette, and avoid Poor Logic. If you don't follow these guidelines, I consider you to be disrespectful to everyone on these forums. If you respond to me without following these guidelines, I consider it a personal attack. I grew up in a bilingual household, which means I am familiar with the difficulties in adopting a different vocabulary and grammar. That doesn't bother me. Persistent use of bad capitalization, affirming the consequent, and flaming bother me a great deal.
Rule that I would change: 204.1b
204.1b Some effects change an object’s card type, supertype, or subtype but specify that the object retains a prior card type, supertype, or subtype. In such cases, all the object’s prior card types, supertypes, and subtypes are retained. This rule applies to effects that use the phrase “in addition to its types” or that state that something is “still a [card type].” Some effects state that an object becomes an “artifact creature”; these effects also allow the object to retain all of its prior card types and subtypes.
"Eight Edition Rules Update" We eventually decided not to change this template, because players are used to “becomes an artifact creature,” and like it much better.
Players were used to Combat on the Stack, but you got rid of that because it was unintuitive. The only phrase needed is "in addition to its types"; the others are misleading and unintuitive.
1) What is the point of this thread? this is a MAGIC forum! obvioulsy people will defend magic.
2) With that said, who says Magic is worse than Yu-Gi-Oh!? i played Yu-Gi-Oh! when i was like 8, then realized it was crap and started playing Magic. Yu-Gi-Oh! has, as stated before, all the stupidly awesome cards that totally stomp decks. i had a card that had like 3000 attack that removed anything that it attacked from the game. POWER CREEP!!!
In a limited defence of Upper Deck, at least they finally banned Dimension Fusion recently, thus neutering Dark Armed Dragon and co.
English. Learn it.

Mouth. Shut it.

There's a reason that the banned list of Yu-Gi-Oh virtually only has non-creature cards. Many of the mechanics of the game are inherently broken.
Free spells? Yes, that is broken. And then they hit you with the Free Plague Wind (Rageki), free WoG (Dark Hole), Free Counsel of The Soratami (Pot of Greed), Free... hell, was there ever a magic card that could get a creature back from your opponent's graveyard? (Monster Reborn)...
Broken.

And then there are the creatures. Everything in yu-gi-oh is either great or crap. Ex: 90% of ALL yu-gi-oh cards are NOT playable. I mean, we speak of strictly better here... compare following:

Monster 1
Normal Monster
2200/1500

Monster 2
6 Stars
2400/1500

See my point?
Also, there's the issue of power creep. Recently, they were so 'proud' for making a 2000-attack 4-star, the largest of its class without a debilitating drawback. In the same set, they also broke the record for 6-stars, too. They're PROUD of that? I can't imagine. It's power creep.

And lets talk decks.

Snatch Steal
Heavy Storm
Mystical Space Typhoon
Mirror Force
Torrential Tribute
Ring of Destruction
Call of the Haunted
Jinzo
Raiza the Storm Monarch
Cyber Dragon
Treeborn Frog
Sangan

That list of cards is the list of cards that were present in virtually every deck of the 2007 championship top 8. That is one hell of a long list for a game where decks are 40 cards. Sure, there were differences... One guy decided to play a deck that WASN'T the same monarch/cyber stompy; but burner decks are nothing new to yu-gi-oh.

Also, the system of multiple levels of rare is TOTAL ********.
You open a pack of yu-gi-oh, and your rare is a card where the only shiny thing is the title, you just got a crap rare. That can also happen with super, or hell, sometimes even ultra rare. But at least those have a rarity. You have to be REALLY lucky to get ANYTHING decent in yu-gi-oh.

So... Broken mechanics Power creep up the ass, Netdecking to an obscene extreme, and bad cards... Oh yeah, and drawing the right 5 cards says 'you win the game'.

My summary of why yu-gi-oh sucks.
Thank you.

you also forgot that going second in yu-gi-oh usually gets you a win. they play all their stuff turn 1, you go and play 1-2 board sweepers, reanimate their guys play some of your own and attack for the win. that and some of the monsters you can play on turn 1 are about comprable to a 6/6 haste creature in magic

as opposed to magic where theres actual strategy involved.

the above is why i traded all my yugioh for 2 boxes of morrodin when that came out.
I have one thing to say.

Yu-Gi-Oh is !stupid!. Lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I AM TRULY LAUGHING OUT LOUD AT THAT AS WELL DUDE YOU ARE SO FUNNY!

Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't a bad game. Most people seem to be saying that because it has a crappy cartoon based off the same crappy manga that the game was came from and so lots of kids watch it and people think they become less lame by not liking things that kids like, which is stupid because cartoons and sugary breakfast cereal are the key to ultimate happiness. If you've played UGO and you don't like it, fine. If you haven't, don't act like it has problems that Magic doesn't have.

Monster 1
Normal Monster
2200/1500

Monster 2
6 Stars
2400/1500

Jinzo, right?

2000-attack 4-star

That fire-breathing gorilla that attacks each turn if able came out long ago, does he not count, or is that who you meant? And Slate Warrior was probably better than that, though I'm not sure if that was supposed to be tournament legal since it was a movie promo.