What are the Power Nine Cards?

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
This may sound pretty pathetic, but i started playing about two-three years ago and I only concern myself with the cards that I have a use for. But I keep seeing things that these cards are supposed to be the most powerful cards in the game. So I was just wondering if anybody could fill in a lost soul on these things.
The power nine cards are:

[C]Black lotus[/C]
[C=mox ruby]the original 5 moxen[/C]
[C]Ancestral Recall[/C]
[C]Timetwister[/c]
Time Walk.

They are all worth unbelievable amounts of money and are banned in every format outside of Vintage.
EDIT: DOUBLE NINJA'D!
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
What he said.

Plus the unofficial Cabal Coffers.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Cabal Coffers? :P
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
Or even more likely yawgmoth's will.
The Rules of Life: 1: Everything burns. 2:If something does not burn see rule 1.
OK, but why are they worth so much and why are they supposed to be so good. I mean i just looked at some of them and they don't really seem like anything i would need.
OK, but why are they worth so much and why are they supposed to be so good. I mean i just looked at some of them and they don't really seem like anything i would need.

Lotus lets you do all sorts of stuff 3 turns earlier than otherwise, Recall gives you serious card advantage for 1 mana, Time walk gives you 1 card, untapping all of your permanents, a second attack step and a few other things for 2 mana, the Moxen are like Lotus, but they stick around and only put you ahead 1 turn, Timetwister resets everything, it is weaker than the rest in most cases.
OK, but why are they worth so much and why are they supposed to be so good. I mean i just looked at some of them and they don't really seem like anything i would need.

*facepalm*

Seriously. Think about what you can DO with a lotus and three moxen and a land in your hand. For example:
1. Play any 6-mana spell
2. Win the game with mind's desire
3. Sac it all, use ancestral recall to draw cards, drop yawgmoth's will and tendril your opponent to death

Even with just the lotus, you can drop a 1st turn trinishpere, which is really, really good.
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
OK, but why are they worth so much and why are they supposed to be so good. I mean i just looked at some of them and they don't really seem like anything i would need.

The fast mana aspect of them allows turn 1 and turn 2 kills to be set up.

E.G. mox, mox, lotus, recall, dark ritual, mox, yawg will, lotus, ritual, burning wish, tendrils of agony
The Rules of Life: 1: Everything burns. 2:If something does not burn see rule 1.
*facepalm*

Seriously. Think about what you can DO with a lotus and three moxen and a land in your hand. For example:
1. Play any 6-mana spell
2. Win the game with mind's desire
3. Sac it all, use ancestral recall to draw cards, drop yawgmoth's will and tendril your opponent to death

Even with just the lotus, you can drop a 1st turn trinishpere, which is really, really good.

Trinisphere has made me want to blow my brains out more than any other card in the game.
OK, but why are they worth so much and why are they supposed to be so good. I mean i just looked at some of them and they don't really seem like anything i would need.

Me neither. They're actually pretty bad and overrated. I traded my Mox Jet for three Merrow Reejerey yesterday.
Trinisphere has made me want to blow my brains out more than any other card in the game.

Yes, me too. I hate Stax.
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
Me neither. They're actually pretty bad and overrated. I traded my Mox Jet for three Merrow Reejery yesterday.

Will you be my friend?
Sure. Hey, you want this playset of Sea Drake I have running around? I couldn't think any use for it.
Sure. Hey, you want this playset of Sea Drake I have running around? I couldn't think any use for it.

I have a Grim Tutor card-house.
Cabal Coffers? :P

So good.

Library of Alexandria wasn't quite broken, just bent. Along the lines of Morphling (but a bit better). Though it was great at a time in age, it really hasn't retained its beauty. The Power Nine have.

Virtual Loss of Land Drop in order to draw one card<Draw Three Cards
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Duh. But that's why Library is considered the 10th, as opposed to automatic first pick, AC.
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
Well, the real reason it wasn't included in the nine is that it wasn't in A-U. That sort of kills it.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Well of course.

Otherwise Yawgmoth's Will would be in over all of the Power Nine.
Alright, thanks for all the info everybody.
What would a modern Power Nine, excluding the originals, look like?

Yawgmoth's Will
Necropotence
Super Secret Tech
Vampiric Tutor
Tolarian Academy
Cabal Coffers
Grim Monolith
Strip Mine
Balance

This is off the top of my head.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
END OF LINE
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
What would a modern Power Nine, excluding the originals, look like?

Yawgmoth's Will
Necropotence
Super Secret Tech
Vampiric Tutor
Tolarian Academy
Cabal Coffers
Grim Monolith
Strip Mine
Balance

This is off the top of my head.

At least two of those cards are just terrible (Super-Secret Tech & Cabal Coffers). Bargain is superior to the Skull. Vamp is inferior to Demonic Tutor. Monolith & Balance have no business on a list like that. So that makes 3 out of the 9 you listed which have a chance, and really, there is only one of those that even stands a chance.

Why are there people who keep wanting to create a new "Power 9"? Seriously. The Power Nine are not the most power cards ever printed. Hell, they are not even the most powerful cards played. It is a historical title given to the 9 most powerful cards from the first set. A Historical Title. The requirements to be in the P9 were it had to be a rare. Had to break the game in some way. & third, had to come from the Limited Set.

Now, that is not to say the P9 isn't any good. They are very very good. But Yawgmoth's Will is the single most powerful spell ever printed. If they ever start to ban cards in Type 1 based upon power levels, it will be because of Yawgmoth's Will.

And Library of Alexandria is considered the "tenth" of the Power cards as it came from the first expansion ever, Arabian Nights. For the longest time, you had to have an answer to a first turn Library or you would be buried under the Card Advantage. A Turn 1 Library was a very powerful play. Yes, you lose a land drop with a non-Blue land, but it did wonders digging in your deck.

But the format has sped up, and it isn't a very smart play with all of the Discard that is thrown in every deck. To many ways to keep your opponent off of 7 cards in hand.
What he said.

Plus the unofficial Cabal Coffers.

Coffers seems nice enough but my game is usually over before its going to be worth much in our games.
Ya, no duh Cabal Coffers and Super Secret Tech wont cut it (not even considering you can't play the Tech). Grim Monolith is also a stretch. I just couldn't come up with 7-9. Necropotence is one of the most broken cards in the history of Magic and anyone who says otherwise is an ass. I'm not trying to make this an official list, or trying to replace the originals. It was just curiosity of what a new list of P9 look like. I even said not to include them in the list, sort of lending to the thought that may still be the P9.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
What is Super Secret Tech?
I have a Grim Tutor card-house.

I have a [C]Library of Alexandria[/C] Menger Sponge, I think some power is in it too.

Why is [C]Sol Ring[/C] not considered, it is by far one of the best cards in the game.
There really is a reason that it's nicknamed "Yawgwin."
Why is [C]Sol Ring[/C] not considered, it is by far one of the best cards in the game.

No it's not.
Also, it's not considered to be part of the P9 because it's not a rare. (or were you talking about the "updated P9"? In which case, it's still outclassed by the moxen)
Yawgmoth's Bargain does give you cards instantly, but it's also only played in decks built to abuse it. Necropotece can be thrown in any deck to make it better.

Super Secret Tech is an Unhinged card that was only printed foil and cant be found in the gatherer. They are currently selling $20-$30. I popped an entire playset

Super Secret Tech
Artifact
All premium spells cost less to play.
All premium creatures get +1/+1.
"Ooh...Shiny!"
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
*** ****** we are not including the original P9 due to the fact that they are superior and the list would stay the same!!!!
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
*** ****** we are not including the original P9 due to the fact that they are superior and the list would stay the same!!!!

The power 9 are not the best 9 cards ever. There are dozens of cards better than Timetwister and Yawgmoth's Will is arguably better than all 9 of them.
The power 9 are not the best 9 cards ever. There are dozens of cards better than Timetwister and Yawgmoth's Will is arguably better than all 9 of them.

Wow, good job thinking outside of the box everyone.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Yawgmoth's Bargain does give you cards instantly, but it's also only played in decks built to abuse it. Necropotece can be thrown in any deck to make it better.

I don't get this logic. Can you explain? I mean, Necro is cheaper CC, but Yawgmoth's bargain gives instant results.
www.kherkeep.com Seriously-it's good ****. Everyone cool is here.
This is the way Necropotence works:
Turn1: Land, Dark Ritual, Necropotence, play hand, end of turn refill hand.
Turn2: Play hand, end of turn refill...


This is the way Yawgmoth's Bargain works.
Turn1-3: Hope to combo off cause Bargain is 6cc and impossible to use otherwise.


One of these is all around amazing, the other is amazing in combo.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
I knew the power 9 before I even started playing magic. I Wikipeida
Yawgmoth's Bargain does give you cards instantly, but it's also only played in decks built to abuse it. Necropotece can be thrown in any deck to make it better.

The Skull is not just randomly thrown into decks. At least, no good decks. Just because you have a card in a deck does not make the deck better. Necropotence has a very significant draw back. You have to wait until the end of your player turn to get the cards, then immediately discard down to 7. All of the cards discarded get removed from game. You have to wait with it.

There is good sense to this old saying. Necro lets you win next turn. Bargain lets you win right now. But for that to be true, it has to be set up properly. I would NEVER consider putting the Skull in a control deck. It is a terrible card for such a scenario. It doesn't fit with the basis of the deck, nor how the deck wants to play.

to add to it, following your point & logic, then adding Necro to the following decks will make them better. All of which run black already.

GAT
tyrant Oath
Flash

These decks are not designed to use & more importantly, abuse Necropotence. It would actually make the decks worse by including the card.

Now, nowhere did I say Necro was a bad card. I said it was Inferior to Bargain. So before you continue to refer to people as an ass, get your story straight.

we are not including the original P9 due to the fact that they are superior and the list would stay the same!!!!

Obviously, your knowledge of the Power Nine is lacking. May I recommend you read the part in a previous post of mine where I stated that the Power Nine is a Historical Title.
What is Super Secret Tech?

IMAGE(http://magiccards.info/scans/en/uh/141.jpg)

It was ONLY printed as a foil, making it extra-rare (i.e. there is no non-foil version).
Sign In to post comments