A Pattern Emerges: Past Themes Redone in New Sets

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have looked through the older cards and noticed a pattern emerge.

The Mirage block had a lot of cards dealing with the graveyard--Soul Sheperd and Spinning Darkness for example.
The Odyssey block changed the graveyard also.

The Rath Cycle had +1/+1 counters, IIRC. So did Scourge.

Urza's block had the big theme of enchantments. Perhaps Kamigawa is the block when WotC tries again to make enchantments tournament playable again?

This isn't the strongest pattern...but it wopuld be just my luck that WotC does a block with art that I hate and mechanics I love.

Am I just stupid for proposing this with this little evidence or does anyone agree with me here?
Originally posted by VirgilCaine
I have looked through the older cards and noticed a pattern emerge.

The Mirage block had a lot of cards dealing with the graveyard--Soul Sheperd and Spinning Darkness for example.
The Odyssey block changed the graveyard also.

The Rath Cycle had +1/+1 counters, IIRC. So did Scourge.

Urza's block had the big theme of enchantments. Perhaps Kamigawa is the block when WotC tries again to make enchantments tournament playable again?

This isn't the strongest pattern...but it wopuld be just my luck that WotC does a block with art that I hate and mechanics I love.

Am I just stupid for proposing this with this little evidence or does anyone agree with me here?

i agree, we are long overdoo for another enchantment block. we want creature enchantments, land enchantment, etc.

i even started making my own enchantment set.

plus, they didn't do a great job in urza's, so it's almost a topic they haven't even done yet.

sounds perfect to me.
Actually, it's even more insidious than that.

Prophecy had cards that could sacrifice lands to aid the tapped-out theme.
One block later, Odyssey was focused on graveyards.

Apocalypse had [Card]Unnatural Selection[/Card] and the [Card]Goblin Ringleader[/Card] cycle in it.
One block later, Onslaught focused on creature type.

Judgement had the Phantoms (which lived off of +1/+1 counters), the Wishes (which targeted cards outside of play), and [Card]Sutured Ghoul[/Card] (which allowed you to "imprint" p/t on to the zombie.)
One block later, Mirrodin had imprint (working with the removed-from-game zone like the Ghoul and the Wishes) and a sub-theme of +1/+1 counters.

If WotC is making a habit of testing block themes out like this, then this could mean that Scourge is somehow reflective of what the Kamigawa block will be.
The converted cost triggers--maybe higher or lower numbers to trigger an enchantment brought back to play from the graveyard.
oh oh, an ability called "SMASH"!

Not ever written by Kami-sama
Smash is an ability that links several old themes together. Smash gives a creature a bonus based on it's converted mana cost if you have enough cards in your hand at the time. For example, the creature Over-Costed Wurm of Smash (playtest title) is an 8 CMC 1/1 creature with Smash-7, so it will get +8/+8 if you have at least 7 cards in hand -- so it will become a 9/9 as long as you have 7 cards in hand. He saw use in the FFL, so we expect he'll be even more powerful than the Wizard decks turned out to be.

I don't like the names. "Kami" means Divine, or God, or something, or something (yes, twice). Gawa.... not all sure about that.

Anyway, the whole asian theme might turn me off. I don't like Asian Myth creatures much, what I saw, so I'll either see new interpretations of things and like them, or I'll really hate these sets.

It'll be something different though, and that's never bad.
Of course R&D is going to reuse ideas and themes. They would be stupid not to. For one thing it saves them having to reinvent the game with each new set. Now they can just reinvent a single aspect of the game or what have you. Reusing ideas is a convenience and a great boon to card creation.
I don't think it's a bad thing, either.

The examples I showed were what I saw as R&D testing out block mechanics in real-life.
The Judgement wishes made a lot more people familiar with the "outside-of-game" area, thus making it easier to grasp Imprint.

They're not reusing ideas to me, they're previewing ideas to see if they are feasible.
Originally posted by Altar_Boy
I don't think it's a bad thing, either.

The examples I showed were what I saw as R&D testing out block mechanics in real-life.
The Judgement wishes made a lot more people familiar with the "outside-of-game" area, thus making it easier to grasp Imprint.

They're not reusing ideas to me, they're previewing ideas to see if they are feasible.

wow. simply wow. that is a very good find.

and i like scourge, so that's a good sign.

i mean, if judgement makes mirrodin block, then scorges'igawa block will be insanely cool.

maybe cost reducing effects + larger creatures? (the warchiefs, plus the dragon and cleric one?)
Speaking as a player that STARTED with Mirrodin, I'm all about an Enchanment block, both becuase the Asian Myth thing would fit firmly into having heavy and intricate enchantments thematicly, and becuase from my play experince so far they seem heavily under represented latley. Of course that's a rather myopic 1 block view, but eh.

All I know is I love Arrest, and enchanments would really REALLY fit the theme.
Maybe they will cycle back to roughly the same planes every 6 years from now on?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
When are we likely to see more super cheap equipment, the sort that costs a few mana to equip but can be cast for 0 mana.
Maybe they will cycle back to roughly the same planes every 6 years from now on?

8 years!
you necroed an 8 year old thread

not even Unburial Rites can do that
proud member of the 2011 community team
I didn't even notice the dates and was SO confused with the Kami talk.  This is an impressive necro.
Wow. An eight-year-old thread got revived by the least on-topic post I have ever seen.
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.
No, Kamigawa's focus was legends. Unfortunately, you can't put legends at common.

The Rath block didn't really have a theme per se, but with the Great Creature Type Renaming, it became tribal: Soltari, Thalakos, and Dauthi have shadow; slivers have "All sliver creatures you control have..." (taken to its logical conclusion in Future Sight); licids have their weird enchantment ability with all its rules issues; and spikes are 0/0s that ETB with +1/+1 counters.

My theory is the Five Great Archetypes:

*Graveyard (Mirage, Odyssey, Innistrad)
*Tribal (Onslaught, Lorwyn, Innistrad)
*Artifacts (Mirrodin, Scars of Mirrodin)
*Multicolor (Invasion, Ravnica, Alara, Shadowmoor)
*Counters (Shadowmoor, Scars of Mirrodin)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt