The Top 10 RAREST and Most Valuable Cards In All Of Magic The Gathering

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious to what those cards would be. So if anyone has a solid list of what they would be I would appreciate it if they could put it down that would be great. I rather collect those cards than play magic because i simply don't have the time. Wouldn't it be cool to say you have the top 10 rarest and most valuable magic cards of all time! :P :D

"The Top 10 RAREST and Most ValuableCards In All Of Magic The Gathering"
Edgar Hurricane misprint is definitely up there.

It's worth about $6000.
Number one: Proposal.
Number 2: Shufukin (SP?) Dragon
Number III: 1996 World Champion.
Number 4: Slendid Genesis.
Number 5: Edgar Misprints, esp Hurricane and the Djinn.
Number 6-10: Foil Stroke of Genius + other non-promo Uzra's Saga foils.
Number one: Proposal.
Number III: 1996 World Champion.
Number 4: Slendid Genesis.
Number 5: Edgar Misprints, esp Hurricane and the Djinn.
Number 6-10: Foil Stroke of Genius + other non-promo Uzra's Saga foils.

2 and 3 don't count as they are unobtainable.
I'm under the impression that Proposal is just a picture pasted onto the front of a normal magic card, and isn't actually a seperate card itself.
2 and 3 don't count as they are unobtainable.

Not actually true. 1996 was sold off a few years ago.
Wasn't it embedded in the trophy?
Gleemax Roleplaying - An all inclusive freeform roleplay. Build characters, armies, and bases from any source material imaginable to enter into epic wars and deadly battles.
Check out the other PbP games around:
Real AdventuresPbP HavenThe Guild House
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesCOre COliseum
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionD20 Modern
Coalition War GameParanoia ParadiseMagic Puzzles, Fun, & Games!
nobody is going to tell you an exact top ten here as prices tend to change a lot, but generally very expensive cards include:

power nine

summer magic cards (especially blue hurricane/serendib eefrit)

and textless saga foils:

most rare and not tournament legal cards:
Shichifukujin Dragon
1996 World Champion
Proposal
Splendid Genesis
Fraternal Exaltation
Brass Fork/other rare test prints: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities-test-other.html
Brass Fork video: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities/video-metal-fork.mpeg
Shichifukujin Dragon
1996 World Champion
Proposal
Splendid Genesis
Fraternal Exaltation
Brass Fork/other rare test prints: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities-test-other.html

Actually, unless there are some rules I'm not aware of, those cards are vintage legal.

They have the normal magic back, black or white borders, and are not on the Vintage banned/restricted list.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/resources/sfrvintage

Edit: Well not the Brass Fork.
Actually, unless there are some rules I'm not aware of, those cards are vintage legal.

They have the normal magic back, black or white borders, and are not on the Vintage banned/restricted list.

splitting hairs since june 05' - always a fun experience?

and there is a rule you are not aware of, it is that these cards either do not officially exist or are not considered "cards". simple as that.
Link to a [O] ruling?

Shichifukujin, I believe.
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Shichifukujin, I believe.

Reported for swearing :P

The black/white borders and normal Magic back are actually just a shortcut and nothing official. If you follow the link you provided, you'll see at the bottom, "Official information about Constructed formats and the Vintage format can be found in the Magic: The Gathering Floor Rules." So even that page isn't official, just another shortcut.

Reading the Magic Floor Rules we get this about Vintage:
127. Vintage Format Deck Construction
Vintage decks may consist of cards from all Magic card sets, any extension of the core set, and all promotional cards released by Wizards of the Coast, with exceptions listed below.

So those cards are not from any Magic set or core set extension. Do you claim that they are promotinoal cards released by WotC? I do not believe they were released by WotC and therefore do not constitute a legal card for Vintage.
Do you claim that they are promotional cards released by WotC? I do not believe they were released by WotC and therefore do not constitute a legal card for Vintage.

Well, they were released by WotC, just in very small numbers to very small amounts of people (sometimes one).
Edgar Hurricane misprint is definitely up there.

It's worth about $6000.

Edgar, or rather summer [C]Serendib Efreet[/C]s are around 14 000$ each. Some guy owns two, I think there are like 5 that are known about. They have the arabian nights art to them.

They are the single rarest cards in magic ever to be produced to the public (some prize cards and richard garfield cards are rarer, like world champion 1996).
Edgar, or rather summer [C]Serendib Efreet[/C]s are around 14 000$ each. Some guy owns two, I think there are like 5 that are known about. They have the arabian nights art to them.

They are the single rarest cards in magic ever to be produced to the public (some prize cards and richard garfield cards are rarer, like world champion 1996).

Technically, any Edgar rare would be just as valuable.
Technically, any Edgar rare would be just as valuable.

Just as rare, not as valuable. Summer duals are worth 10 times less than an efreet, why? No idea, oh, different art.
Foil Stroke of Genius

This is a judge foil. I own one. Its worth like $12.

Edit: Foil Survival/Sixth Test Foils are also pretty valuable.
maybe he confused it with the textless saga foils (stroke is not one of them as far as i know)

This is a judge foil. I own one. Its worth like $12.

He's talking about the non-promo ones.
non-promo-saga foils? explain. whats the difference between judge foil <-> non-promo foil and where are they from?
There were a few Uzra's Sage foil rares that went into Legacy packs.
There were a few Uzra's Sage foil rares that went into Legacy packs.

and what is the difference between judge foil stroke and that "unusual" stroke? and which other cards were leaked?
Don't remember.

What I do remember is they were selling for over a hundred each a few months after Legacy came out.

Basically, they were really expensive for no reason other then they are rare.
Shichifukujin Dragon
1996 World Champion
Proposal
Splendid Genesis
Fraternal Exaltation

Does anyone have links to pics or info on these cards, haven't seen them before (other than 1996).
Does anyone have links to pics or info on these cards, haven't seen them before (other than 1996).

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities-garfield-images.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities-unique-images.html
thanks +1
Its only like 150$.

Thanks for editting.
The black/white borders and normal Magic back are actually just a shortcut and nothing official. If you follow the link you provided, you'll see at the bottom, "Official information about Constructed formats and the Vintage format can be found in the Magic: The Gathering Floor Rules." So even that page isn't official, just another shortcut.

Reading the Magic Floor Rules we get this about Vintage:

So those cards are not from any Magic set or core set extension. Do you claim that they are promotinoal cards released by WotC? I do not believe they were released by WotC and therefore do not constitute a legal card for Vintage.

But it seems very awkward that the cards have no oracle text. I mean, what happens if I want to know the current wording on Fraternal Exaltation. Do I get to keep my new brother? What is required of me in regards to responsibilities?
And I do find it hypocritical that Nathalini Dragon and Windseeker Centaur are legal, but not 1996.
The reason, I believe, that the Urza's test foils are not legal in Legacy or Vintage is that they have no names on them. There were a few test cards made for either 7th or 8th edition with completely new borders which I think are legal, but contain full text.
so, is Revised Serendib Efreet Misprint worth anything?
Yes.
where do i find out about these misprints? what are "Edgar" and "Summer" misprints? a buddy of mine has a ton of old MTG cards and I do remember he has the revised misprinted Serendib Efreets... maybe he has some of the others
so, is Revised Serendib Efreet Misprint worth anything?

That's how it was printed normally. It's worth $8 or something, but "misprint" Serendib Efreet has the Blue frame a lot brighter and the Arabian Nights art, it's worth way more.
That's how it was printed normally. It's worth $8 or something, but "misprint" Serendib Efreet has the Blue frame a lot brighter and the Arabian Nights art, it's worth way more.

ah ok! thanks for the input!
Hmmm......From anything I know......(not including Misprints or anything like that.)

1: Wath of Hasbro(only 3 ever created)(A promo, not part of any set.)
2: The 5 original moxes?
3:Black Lotus?
4: Moat?
I don`t know much.
1: Wath of Hasbro(only 3 ever created)(A promo, not part of any set.)

A) There are rarer cards then that, and
B) Thats an April fools joke from Pogo, also one of the worst shops I have ever seen in my life.
where do i find out about these misprints? what are "Edgar" and "Summer" misprints? a buddy of mine has a ton of old MTG cards and I do remember he has the revised misprinted Serendib Efreets... maybe he has some of the others

the easiest way is just looking at the copyright.
white border+1994 copyright+no expansion symbol=summer/edgar
i know someone that has 4 of the blue efreetes there not worth that much are they?