[ICD] Demigod of Revenge

353 posts / 0 new
Last post
Demigod of Revenge ()()()()()
Creature — Spirit Avatar
Flying, Haste
When you play Demigod of Revenge, return all cards named Demigod of Revenge from your graveyard to play.

IMAGE(http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/973/shmbooster15revealedrf4.jpg)

Source:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/preview/shmpack
Wow pretty impressive.

Not to say this doesn't have potential competitively, it makes an interesting casual/Timmy/Johnny combo with Iname, Death Aspect

Wish I could see the other cards though... Lurebound Scarecrow gives the Vorthos in me wet dreams
Seems nice.
\o/
Sexy, but looks a tad fake. I can't put my finger on it, but the mana symbols look...off. And the name seems a bit over the top.

If real, though....this is perhaps the most amazingly timmy happy card I've seen since ever.
That is one hell of a B/R creature. An actual reason NOT to run Mutavault. Also I doubt that it would be fake since it's on the official website, unless April Fool's Day is early this year.
It's real. You can find it on the main website as of 16 minutes ago.
Looks promising, a 5 for 5/4 flying haste is amazing as is. With the ability I can see it going places.
Sexy, but looks a tad fake. I can't put my finger on it, but the mana symbols look...off. And the name seems a bit over the top.

Pro Tip: The source is the Magic: Website.

It isn't fake.
Does anybody else see a sort of combo deck around this guy? He seems like he could be the new "Dragonstorm" type of thing after Time Spiral rotates. Probably not very likely, but maybe among casual crowds.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Pro Tip: The source is the Magic: Website.

It isn't fake.

Yeah, I just found that right after I posted it.

Well then, my inner timmy-johnny is crying tears of happiness now.

Pro Tip: Remember to look at windows that pop up when I click on things.
That can probaly see some constructed play just because a 5 mana 5 powered creature with haste and evasion is devestating. The added bonus both makes it and abusable card and a cool one at that.

Avatar of Discord and this guy makes me want to use extended avatar reanimating tribal next extended.
Gogo Avatar Bidding.
wow i can see this as a dredge kind of version of dragonstorm

dredge your library into your graveyard, then play one of these, and get three more out ready to beat face for 20 points lol
Holy hybrid mana block. Beseech the Queen is an interesting twist on it -- black/colorless hybrid.
Whu-whe... WHAT?

Epic chase rare.
Is any one else thinking back to the...
The most commonly believed theory is that Shadowmoor is a graveyard-based set. Future Sight, after all, sent some strong messages that we would be visiting graveyard mechanics again. And we will, just not yet.

... and scratching their head?
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.

And it may not be, one rare does not create the bases for a theme. Now on the other hand it seems like a third of that pack was hybrid.
We don't actually know the theme yet.

Mana Costs just pulled out into the front, though.

It's probably just a few cards with graveyard mechanics to create synergy with Rock block. As MaRo said they weren't doing it yet, it's possible that the Rock block, which is the next block, will be a graveyard theme.
I don't see this getting heavy tournament play outside of a potential combo deck.
I don't see this getting heavy tournament play outside of a potential combo deck.

Just like tarmogoyf.
Just like tarmogoyf.

I mean c'mon, you could tap that 5 mana for sengir Nosferatu instead.
Not sure if the Spikes of the world are going to break this. As a heavy-duty Johnny, though, I wanna see this guy's combo in action and am already thinking playset. And if anyone manages to cast this thing in limited play, dear goodness. 5/4 haste evasion for 5 seems good.
He's only good in RB aggro or monocolour. Any other deck has to pay RRRRR or BBBBB.

This'd be pretty good in that BR Grave Pact Deck thing.
Please don't have this card cost more than $5.00. [/cheapskate]
4x of this in dredge makes for yet another win-con for them because they can dead return all 4 or if need be hard cast it for 5.
4x of this in dredge makes for yet another win-con for them because they can dead return all 4 or if need be hard cast it for 5.

In competitive dredge, the 4 spots in the deck probably aren't worth it.
Just speculating, though.
This could work pretty nicely in a monored or R/B deck. It's immune to almost all black removal and is a 5/4 with Haste and Flying. That sounds pretty good to me. That extra point of toughness sets him way up above Tarox Bladewing (who doesn't see any play). This is a nice finisher.

If the only argument against this guy is his restrictive mana cost, I'm going to call you out on it. People said the same thing about Doran, the Siege Tower's mana cost. This guy's cost is kind of even more restrictive and can be played in fewer decks, but he is still a really strong creature. He is:

A 5 power creature
With Flying
and Haste
that costs 5
and is Black.

Also, his ability does NOT work if you reanimate him. It says "when you play" not "when this comes into play". Which means that even if it gets countered....
dead return all 4

Doesn't work, read the card please.
It could be a decent finisher or anti-control card in red and/or black aggro.

You play one, they counter it, you play another and the first one comes back whether they counter or not.

I don't think it's going to be as playable as combo, myself - you'd need an efficient way to dump the others into your graveyard for that, and if you're doing that, there are better win conditions.

We'll have to see what else is coming up.
Timmy rejoices.

wow. That's pretty sweet.

I wonder - is this the most colored mana we've seen on a mana cost short of 5 color cards?

I bet there will also be "if you payed X color for ~, get this effect. If you payed Y color for ~, get that effect" sorts of shenanigans.

I think we can say that there is a multicolor (or at least dual colored) subtheme in this block. New duals?

edit: Demigod cycle? as in Incarnations? Very possible.
This is... really bad...
The concept is cool...but... the card is just bad.
COB.png
Rushwood Elemental was .

Timmy loves this, Johnny's going to have fun with this, and I'm picking Spike won't find this too lacking either. Very good card.

EDIT: FH: Are you going to offer reasoning, or just unsupported statements?
Let me be the first to say:

Buried Alive + Seething Song/Dark Ritual + Demigod of Revenge = Turn 3/4 GG.
This guy would somewhat confirm a Graveyard block if it were not for the fact that that particular idea was already debunked.
I'm kinda thinking there will be a Demigod cycle, but I'm just happy hybrid mana's back

The ability ties in with the name, 'revenge,' I think he'll be eating alot of faces when Shadowmoor comes out.
Let me be the first to say:

Buried Alive + Seething Song/Dark Ritual + Demigod of Revenge = Turn 3/4 GG.

nice.

better yet, godhand:
t1 swamp, ritual, buried alive, chrome mox
t2 mountain, seething song, demigod.
GG.
FH: Are you going to offer reasoning, or just unsupported statements?

Just unsupported statements for now. I need some time to think it over, see the rest of the set, or at least some of it. I see no reason to go all out saying it will never ever be played and it is the worst card ever for a set I don't know any other cards from.
COB.png
Could some rules guru check this out for me? I just got a wacky idea that could make this even OMG-er than it already is.

First player plays Demigod. The spell goes on the stack, and the "when you play" trigger goes on above it. Second player plays Counterspell, targeting the original spell. Counterspell resolves, Demigod is countered... Demigod goes to the graveyard? Is that right? Cause if it is, the next thing that happens is, the "return to play" trigger resolves, looks at the graveyard, sees a copy of Demigod in the graveyard (the one that was just countered), and returns it to play?
Could some rules guru check this out for me? I just got a wacky idea that could make this even OMG-er than it already is.

First player plays Demigod. The spell goes on the stack, and the "when you play" trigger goes on above it. Second player plays Counterspell, targeting the original spell. Counterspell resolves, Demigod is countered... Demigod goes to the graveyard? Is that right? Cause if it is, the next thing that happens is, the "return to play" trigger resolves, looks at the graveyard, sees a copy of Demigod in the graveyard (the one that was just countered), and returns it to play?

Aye, that works.
COB.png

well, the counterspell player could wait for the "when you play" trigger to resolve before playing counterspell.
Sign In to post comments