<3 people who say you don't know the rules....

2502 posts / 0 new
Last post
But don't know the rules themselves. This is from a game that just got over just a minute ago.

Ok?
Thinking
Ok
Pithing Needle's note changed: wild mongrel
???
what?
one moment
activated
yeah
anything with a ":" in it
is an activated ability.
is not activated
no
..............LOL
yes
i promise you it is
let me find you the ruling
activated are the tap or pay
jesus christ
LOLOL
no
yes
go look it up
i'll find it for you if you wait just one second
you are a noob or wath?
ok
find
403. Activated Abilities
An activated ability is written as "[cost]: [effect]." The activation cost is everything before the colon (. An ability's activation cost must be paid by the player who is playing it.
the cost being discarding a card.
the effect being +1/+1 and changing color
these hability is the same to fly or trample
not even close
mmm
i think is the same
is not activated
it doesn't matter what you think
those are the rules
mmm

[SNIP]

ok gg but i think you dont know where are activated habilities
bye
Player Lost
I have seen worse....like the person who said that you can't counter player's spells on their own turns.
\o/
I tried to Soulblast on my upkeep after making 10000 Pact of the Titan Giants via Djinn Illuminatus.

He kept saying I was already dead and I can't respond to it.
I would say this is a problem when you play on a system that doesn't enforce its own rules. You don't have problems like this playing on, say ... Magic Online :D
No thanks. I don't want to pay for the cards online. I don't want two "copies" of my collection.
I would say this is a problem when you play on a system that doesn't enforce its own rules. You don't have problems like this playing on, say ... Magic Online :D

If MTGO actually enforced all the rules correctly, without any bugs, you might have a point.
I hate it when people are ignorant.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
If MTGO actually enforced all the rules correctly, without any bugs, you might have a point.

MTGO enforces the vast majority of the rules quite accurately. The situation in the original post wouldn't have come up there.
This is why I don't play on the forbidden program much anymore:

Me with 43land.dec
Thinking
angrykoala taps Plains
angrykoala taps Mox Diamond
angrykoala plays Harvest Wurm from Hand
angrykoala puts Savannah to Hand from Graveyard
er
Can't target savannah
yea?
isn't a basic land
it counts as a plians and forest
yes, it has 2 basic land TYPES
however
it is not a BASIC land
you can search it, target etc as a basic
otherwise, you could play 60 of them
if ur gonna play a land deck, learn the rules
Player Lost
Oh, and the reason the Savannah was in the 'yard was cause I Wasteland'd it...

Cephalid Breakfast
Caldera plays Cephalid Illusionist from Hand
Ok?
Ok
target 1000000 times [With the shuko I played last turn]
ok
Caldera moves all cards from Library to Graveyard
no
no?
Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
I'm waiting
you have only a creature
sweet?
you can equip only one
I can target it as many times as I want, it just does not become "attached" or "unattached"
look it up
this deck made day 2 at a GO
GP
with level 4 judges
every 5 feet
hello?
noob
Player Lost
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
these hability is the same to fly or trample

Oh god.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

if ur gonna play a land deck, learn the rules
Player Lost

I like that.
\o/
Ah, God. These make me cringe... I love them. I don't really run into people who are blatantly wrong with the rules, it's usually just a bit of innocent ignorance. Then again, I only play with friends in my group, or at prereleases.
That sucks to be in those situations. Sometimes I'm grateful my store is 90% Cutthroat Spikes so I never have to worry about those situations.
Well, there's the incident where a certain well-known forum member tried to tell me that Split Second contains the rules text "this spell has Flash"...

But the best example happened just recently. Shame I don't have logs:

I was playing Doran Doran against... Merfolk, I think? Some deck that stood no chance. Anyway, I drop a Garruk, he doesn't counter it, and I proceed to add a loyalty counter and untap 2 lands. He goes into the "Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!" routine, informing me that I can't use the ability on the same turn it came into play. I ask him where he heard that, as it's not anywhere in the rules. He says "you can play them abilities as sorcery", to which I agree. Then he drops this wonder of a line:

"Sorcery have summoning sickness"

I was floored.
Well, there's the incident where a certain well-known forum member tried to tell me that Split Second contains the rules text "this spell has Flash"...

I was playing Doran Doran against... Merfolk, I think? Some deck that stood no chance. Anyway, I drop a Garruk, he doesn't counter it, and I proceed to add a loyalty counter and untap 2 lands. He goes into the "Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait!" routine, informing me that I can't use the ability on the same turn it came into play. I ask him where he heard that, as it's not anywhere in the rules. He says "you can play them abilities as sorcery", to which I agree. Then he drops this wonder of a line:

I was floored.

That's my new fave, oh wow...

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

Some people I met last summer were convinced that decree of silence affects your teammates in 2HG (technically 3HG).
Or a friend of mine who was convinced you could sacrifice a creature, then regenerate it.

I was floored.

You, sir, have been sigged.
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I love threads like this because eventually, if you wait long enough, someone will completely and utterly own themselves.

*wait*
I love threads like this because eventually, if you wait long enough, someone will completely and utterly own themselves.

*wait*

*owns self*
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
*owns self*

I'm talking about stuff like:
"I was playing this guy and he played a spell and I played Teferi in response and he was all 'my spell still resolves' but no way cuz he can't play it cuz of teferi! lol"

There is always at least one in every thread of this type.
The people I play with are generally pretty rules savvy... Just the occasional glitch, like not believing I can bounce their Pacifism with my Drake Familiar, or getting upset when I try to Momentary Blink the Shriekmaw I just evoked.

"It's not fair when the cards do things that aren't written on them! You can't do that!"
"I'm pretty sure I can momentary blink my shriekmaw... The deck's kind of built around that basic premise..."
The people I play with are generally pretty rules savvy... Just the occasional glitch, like not believing I can bounce their Pacifism with my Drake Familiar, or getting upset when I try to Momentary Blink the Shriekmaw I just evoked.

"It's not fair when the cards do things that aren't written on them! You can't do that!"
"I'm pretty sure I can momentary blink my shriekmaw... The deck's kind of built around that basic premise..."

You can blink the Shriekmaw. :D
Just experienced another, whee!

This time I was playing a Doran Doran mirror match. The hair-splitting here comes over the p/t of my Tarmogoyf. See if you can comprehend his reason for saying that "Tribal" isn't a type:

FUN

0:05:25 [AngeP] tribal, instant, sorcery, planeswalker
0:05:32 [AngeP] Tarmogoyf is now 4/5
0:05:39 [Ganja] no no
0:05:41 [Ganja] 3/5
0:05:51 [Ganja] 3 cards diferrents
0:06:02 [Ganja] 3/4
0:06:03 [AngeP] tribal, instant, sorcery, planeswalker
0:06:04 [Ganja] sorry
0:06:08 [AngeP] 4 types
0:06:25 [AngeP] right?
0:06:38 [Ganja] Ok
0:06:40 [Ganja] tribal instant, planeswalkjer
0:06:44 [Ganja] and sorcery
0:06:51 [AngeP] yep, four!
0:06:52 [Ganja] 3 cards differents
0:06:57 [AngeP] the tribal instant
0:06:59 [AngeP] has 2 types
0:07:03 [Ganja] no no
0:07:10 [AngeP] sadly, mws doesn't show goyf's reminder text
0:07:12 [AngeP] ?
0:07:15 [Ganja] only istans, is istant
0:07:30 [Ganja] tribal instant yes other thing
0:07:34 [Ganja] is*
0:07:35 [AngeP] alright, just to keep the game going...
0:07:37 [AngeP] Tarmogoyf is now 3/4

... I decided to let the issue pass here because I was clearly winning anyway and am tired of people calling me a "****ing noob" and quitting at the first disagreement. I tried to bring it up again later, though. Let's see how I fared:

0:08:04 [AngeP] so according to you, "Tribal" is not a type?
0:08:16 [Ganja] other type
0:08:26 [AngeP] i'm confused :D
0:08:31 [AngeP] what do you mean by "other type"
0:08:33 [Ganja] than only istant
0:08:50 [Ganja] istant is a type
0:08:55 [AngeP] yeah
0:09:00 [Ganja] 'tribal instant other type
0:09:14 [AngeP] k...

What?

Obviously he's wrong. What I'm trying to figure out is why he's wrong. Is he saying that Tribal isn't a type? Is he saying that Goyf would only get boosted by cards whose only type is Tribal? (These do not exist) I just don't know.
Obviously he's wrong. What I'm trying to figure out is why he's wrong. Is he saying that Tribal isn't a type? Is he saying that Goyf would only get boosted by cards whose only type is Tribal? (These do not exist) I just don't know.

Clearly, he has issues with English.

He's trying to say that "Tribal Instant" is one type, while "Instant" is another type. Equivalently, he is counting the number of cards with different types, rather than the number of different types themselves. We suspect that he would consider an "Artifact Creature" to count only once, as well.

Specifically, note that he lists the types as "Tribal instant", "planeswalker", and "sorcery." Then, later, he says (rewording for clarity) "instant is a type, tribal instant is another type."
He apprently thinks that a Tribal Instant is all one type. My guess is that he learned Magic pre-6th (or at least pre-9th) and was used to thinking of "Summon Creature" and "Enchant " as one type.

By the way, how'd you get a tribal instant (but no other instant), a sorcery, and a planeswalker in the graveyards, but nothing else?
EDIT: Never mind that part.
I don't have the exact transcript, but most confusing of these that happened to me was this:

(This was first turn first game, before anything else)

[Zato] Puts mountain into play from hand
[Zato] Taps mountain
[Zato] Puts Mogg Fanatic into play from hand
Him: ???
Him: noob
Player lost
Announcer: "And he equips the Warhammer to Doran and swings for 8..."

I think most of us know what I'm talking about.
2 small (9 or 10 y/o) children were playing at my local store. one kid is playing a control deck but doesnt really know how, the other playing some random red-green pile. anyways, the kid playin r/g has an earthshaker in play. he them plays a brutal deceiver, not realizing that earthshakers doesnt affect fliers which are the only creatures "control kid" has. anyways, the "control" kid proudly declares "i REMOVE SOUL that". the r/g kid says ok and starts putting the creature in his gy. the other kid says all ur creatures take 2 damage from earthshaker. the r/g kid says but u countered my spirit. the other kid said, "yeah, it came into play, THEN i countered it" i looked at him and said "what in the name of tarmogoyf are you talking about?!" ok maybe ididnt say that. but everything else really happened.
I had someone try to Stifle my Llanowar Elves one ("its not mana ability it needs to be ability of mana"). I actually had so many people claiming that Brand + Hunted Troll doesn't work that I had the relevent Comp Rules entry as my welcome message for a while. I don't play that deck much anymore, but I've made a habit of having the CompRules open in Firefox whenever I play MWS so I get the relevent rule quickly.

This one happened to my friend. I don't have the actual chatlog saved, but it was something like this:
*Opponent attacks with some big creature*
*Oppnent plays Krosan Invocation*
Opponent: Ok?
Friend: Ok
*Opponent puts the Krosan into the graveyard*
Friend: Before blockers
*Friend activates Sacred Mesa*
Opponent: You can't
Friend: Why not?
Opponent: read krosan
Friend: ?
Opponent: SPLIT SECOND
Opponent: NOOB
Friend: It already resolved
Opponent: split second works till end of phase
blah blah metal lyrics
In defense of some people, the Brand + Hunted creatures is far from obvious or well-known, and is only an honest mistake.
It's not that they don't know the rule, it's the fact that they refuse to believe me when I explain it three times and give them a CompRules quote.
blah blah metal lyrics
It is kinda sad that I want to play MWS again just to find people like this.
\o/
It is kinda sad that I want to play MWS again just to find people like this.

Heh. I felt the same way.
blah blah metal lyrics
I looked at him and said, "What in the name of tarmogoyf are you talking about?!" Ok maybe I didnt say that. But everything else really happened.

I GUESS that siggable. i've never sigged, but i'll figure it out for that.
I had one who tried to Trickbind his Dark Depths when it came to play, therefore, as he said "Putting Marit Lage directly into play." I replied with "No, you can't do that. Dark Depths has no triggered ability/comes-into-play effect. There is no "Whenever/when/at the beginning" at the start of its text."

There's another one who attacked with a Groundbreaker that was blocked by my Boros Recruit. He was all "Hey, trample!" and I was all "Hey, first strike!". He called me a noob, then quit.
In a multi game several weeks ago, one guy got out several of the shroud-faeries (Scion of Oona). Next turn, another player kept trying to kill them with shock, ping, pacify, Oblivion Ring, and basically every other way to target something.

transcript

We'll call the n00b guy Rob.

Rob: I'm going to shock your Scion.
Me: You can't.
Rob: Why not? It says other faeries.
Me: He has 2 out they protect each other.
Rob: no they don't.
Me: yes they do. That's why all his other faeries are AT LEAST 3/3

Rob: Fine, I'll ping it with my pyromancer.
Me: You... Can't... You can't target it with anything. The only thing you can do to kill them is Wrath or mass damage.

Rob: Fine, Crib Swap.
Me: ...
Rob: Then I shock the other one.
Me: You. Can't. Do. That.
Rob: Why?
Me: Because you can't target them. Notice the spells say TARGET CREATURE.
Rob: But I can remove it from the game...
Me: no.

Rob: Fine, I Oblivon Ring one.
Me: [same conversation]
Rob: That's NOT FAIR! I should be able to target his guys! That card should be banned! Creatures should always be easy to kill!
Me: No, that's kinda why they printed them...

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

In a multi game several weeks ago, one guy got out several of the shroud-faeries (Scion of Oona). Next turn, another player kept trying to kill them with shock, ping, pacify, Oblivion Ring, and basically every other way to target something.

transcript

We'll call the n00b guy Rob.

Rob: I'm going to shock your Scion.
Me: You can't.
Rob: Why not? It says other faeries.
Me: He has 2 out they protect each other.
Rob: no they don't.
Me: yes they do. That's why all his other faeries are AT LEAST 3/3

Rob: Fine, I'll ping it with my pyromancer.
Me: You... Can't... You can't target it with anything. The only thing you can do to kill them is Wrath or mass damage.

Rob: Fine, Crib Swap.
Me: ...
Rob: Then I shock the other one.
Me: You. Can't. Do. That.
Rob: Why?
Me: Because you can't target them. Notice the spells say TARGET CREATURE.
Rob: But I can remove it from the game...
Me: no.

Rob: Fine, I Oblivon Ring one.
Me: [same conversation]
Rob: That's NOT FAIR! I should be able to target his guys! That card should be banned! Creatures should always be easy to kill!
Me: No, that's kinda why they printed them...

win
win

did we miss the "Sorcery have summoning sickness" bit?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

did we miss the "Sorcery have summoning sickness" bit?

that wins too..but I like this better...
Hey, this stuff happens...I played my first month of the game with nothing to go on but the 9th-edition beginner rules, and believing that a player got an additional untap step during their opponent's untap...thus, thinking that got a raw deal because vigilance is a worthless ability. :p
2 small (9 or 10 y/o) children were playing at my local store. one kid is playing a control deck but doesnt really know how, the other playing some random red-green pile. anyways, the kid playin r/g has an earthshaker in play. he them plays a brutal deceiver, not realizing that earthshakers doesnt affect fliers which are the only creatures "control kid" has. anyways, the "control" kid proudly declares "i REMOVE SOUL that". the r/g kid says ok and starts putting the creature in his gy. the other kid says all ur creatures take 2 damage from earthshaker. the r/g kid says but u countered my spirit. the other kid said, "yeah, it came into play, THEN i countered it" i looked at him and said "what in the name of tarmogoyf are you talking about?!" ok maybe ididnt say that. but everything else really happened.

While the terminology is wrong, the result is correct. Even if the Brutal Deceiver is countered, it was played, so the Earthshaker did trigger, so the 2 damage is dealt to all creatures without flying.
Sign In to post comments