You Fix the Card

6451 posts / 0 new
Last post

You Fix the Card

Welcome to "YFTC", Magic General's longest ongoing thread. This is where we take cards from the current Standard, and make them more playable for Limited, Constructed, or both. It's a really fun contest, and you'll find lots of friendly veterans in here who are always willing to lend a helping hand. I hope you find this to be one of the highlights of your visit to Magic General. Take some time to familiarize yourself with how things are run in here. The official rules for the contest are below:

"You Fix the Card" Comprehensive Rules
Show
1. Each week, a new, Type 2 card will be presented as a candidate for “fixing”. - As of right now, there are three judges that can present and judge “official fixes”. These three people are darkartist, AvalancheRider, and danmage72. Card-fixing can involve changing a card’s mechanics, mana-cost, power/toughness, type, color, or even name. At the end of the week, the judge will post three finalists (and an honorable mention if they feel it is necessary). Then, usually the day after, the winner will be announced, and a new card will be posted for the next week. Winners are posted in my sig with their name, and the number of times they have won the contest. This is an interesting list, and you should all check it out. Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the fact that frequently, this contest can run late. It isn’t out of the ordinary for it to go bi-weekly. Just try to bear with this, as the three of us judging all have actual lives and finding time to judge can be very difficult to do at times. You all are free to keep the spirit of the thread alive in the interim. In the past, people have nominated a “guest judge”. This person should only present Non-Type 2 cards. It is imperative that they be non-Standard cards. Our official “fixes” focus on Standard. So, it’s considered bad form for a guest judge to “eat up” a potential official “fix” for a guest week.

2. Submissions must be complete, and include all the relevant information (mana-cost, creature type, power/toughness, etc…) - Nothing is assumed in here. If your submission is incomplete, most of the time I’ll have to overlook it. For simplicity’s sake, here is an example of a “proper” submission:

Card Name – Mana Cost
Card Type – Subtype (if applicable)
Mechanics
Flavor Text
Power/Toughness

3. Submissions must retain the original card’s rarity. - There’s no “fixing” of rarity allowed. This is because card rarity is one of the best guiding factors for judging that exists. So, if an uncommon is presented for “fixing”, I’ll be looking for submissions that stay within uncommon territory. It simply helps to limit the type of submissions that I have to look over. Otherwise, I would present commons for “fixing”, and people would undoubtedly submit cards that are obviously at the rare level. This is an important rule that helps judging immensely. If you are unclear about what makes a common, uncommon, or rare card, I recommend checking out this article: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr9.

4. Submissions must not contain block-specific mechanics that don’t exist in the set or block that the card presented is from. - For example, if a card from Mirrodin is presented, and somebody submits a “fix” with the Morph ability, that submission simply won’t be considered. Morph didn’t exist in Mirrodin at all. Certain mechanics are stretched over an entire block, and other ones are set-specific. Make sure that your submission’s mechanics “fit” in the appropriate set. If we are “fixing” a card from Fifth Dawn for example, it’s perfectly fine to submit a card with Imprint or Sunburst. If however, we are “fixing” a card from Mirrodin, a submission with Sunburst can not be considered. This is a very easy rule to grasp, and it’s very important too.

5. Submissions will not necessarily be judged on their wording, but it is considered a plus if your card is worded properly. - Lots of your fellow posters are very quick to help out with wording a submission properly. So, if you feel that there’s a better way to word your submission, feel free to ask. On a similar note, be sure that your submissions aren’t overly-long in their wording either. Some basic rules regarding how much text can fit on a card can be found in the link I posted above. Try to imagine what your submission would look like on an actual card. We don’t need any more Ice Cauldrons OK? Also, you may see some posters that actually make their submissions into cards. This is done using a program called Set Editor. Ask around about it, and I’m sure somebody will give you a link. It isn’t at all required, but it’s nifty, and a good tool for seeing if you have created a gigantic wall of text.

6. Please use only one post for your submission. - You are free to edit and change it later on. But posting one submission, and then posting later on in the thread: “Sorry, forget that old one, here is my new submission”, is considered a big no-no. The reasons are two-fold: For one, judging this contest can be a difficult and tedious task. Every submission is looked over thoroughly and evaluated accordingly. It can be a big pain to evaluate a card, only to later on see the person who submitted it, also submitted three other “fixes”, with the last one being their “official” submission. Secondly, sometimes some of you will have the same exact idea for a “fix”. In this situation, if two or more people submit an identical “fix”, I have to go by the order that they were submitted in. I’ll also look to see if anybody has edited their post too. If the submission is good enough to make it into the finals, I’ll always go with the first person who submitted that particular “fix”. It isn’t an exact science, but we haven’t had any problems yet in this regard. And, if there’s an open question as to who submitted first, most people in here are quick to come to the defense of the person who did.

7. You are not required to be a “rules-guru” to “fix” cards. But, a general knowledge of what works and what doesn’t is a good thing to have. - Sometimes people don’t realize that their submissions can’t get into the finals, because they simply don’t work under the current rules. Luckily, most of your fellow posters are quick to point this stuff out. And some people will see what it is you are trying to do, and help you word it properly and within the confines of MTG’s rules. This is what I consider to be one of the benefits of this thread. Everybody is learning how to be better card designers in here. But, whereas something like the “You Make the Card” forum is completely open for anything, in here you have some restraints put on your designs. I think of it as design vs. development. What we are doing in here is much closer to development. Development skills are just as important to have as design skills. Things like balance and elegance come into play a lot. I urge you all to look at some of the people’s submissions who have 3 or more wins. Usually, they have a good grasp of balance, appropriate rarity, power level, etc… You should all use this thread to develop these important tools for yourselves.

8. Lastly, I have to mention that inevitably, subjectivity will come into play in here. - Lots of times there will be submissions that are completely different from each other, but are perfectly valid “fixes” in their own right. This is when judging becomes difficult. In the end, sometimes a clear winner isn’t self-evident. Sometimes, I just have to “go with my gut”, and pick the card or cards that I like, or feel are more interesting, innovative, or appropriate. This is a by-product of the fact that early on in the thread’s existence the notion of voting on submissions was raised. It was met with a resounding “No” from almost everybody. Lots of people (including myself) feel that a voting thread would just devolve into silly arguments, and wouldn’t be beneficial to the spirit of this thread at all. So, consider this a “beneficent dictatorship”. The judges have the final say, but we’re willing to listen to reason. Personally, if you give me a well-thought-out explanation of why a card should or shouldn’t make it into the finals, or be crowned the winner, I’ll listen to it. In the end, this is all about having fun anyway. Try not to take it too seriously and you’ll do fine in here. Be helpful and kind to your fellow posters, and they will treat you with the same amount of respect. Have fun!

Now for a little historical perspective:
I started this thread on Sept. 27th, 2004. The thread was “split” some time ago, and the old thread can be found in the archives here:
http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-786140

I did some “archiving” myself, and with AvalancheRider’s help, I created a list of all the winning submissions. They can be found in these posts:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=12463095&postcount=1854
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=12463099&postcount=1855

danmage72 (with help from Buttock1234) put together an awesome “YFTC Winner’s Set”. It’s all the winning submissions put into card form, with appropriate artwork and everything. As of this writing, there are well over 100 cards in it. If you all want a great way to see the results of this ongoing contest, this is definitely it:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14648434&postcount=3684

Just for posterity and nostalgia's sake, here's my original intro for the thread:

Show
So, there are lots of cards that most of us have, that for one reason or another, just don't make the cut. They could've been decent, good, or dare I say... playable, but somewhere along the way, R+D decided to make them suck. So without further ado, I bring you "You Fix the Card".

Here are the rules:

I'll list a new card every week. You folks can then "fix" the card, by changing the mechanics, to actually make the card playable. The new mechanics have to be similar to what the card originally was intended to do. I'm not looking for broken cards. It shouldn't be anything uber-powerful. The final mechanic should be appropriately costed and powered. And, it needs to make sense.

Pretty simple, huh? So get creative! Fix the card! I'll list the finalists at the end of each week, and then the winner and next card the day after finalists are announced.

Lastly, when the thread split occurred, this is where we were at in our card-fixing. So, for the sake of continuity, I've left this as part of the introductory post:

-----

On to this week:

This week we're venturing back into the world of Ravnica to tackle a pretty "meh" Uncommon. I know from the outset that I'm going to catch some flak for this one, and a few of you will probably feel that this card does not require "fixing". Having played with it in both Limited and Constructed though, I can tell you that there's definitely something wrong with the card though.

So why don't we look at it?

Bond of Agony

I have a real love/hate relationship with this card. I think the main problem with it, is that it is the absolute epitome of "win more". I'm sure more than a couple of you have had this thing either sit in your hand unused, or paid the cost only to have it Remanded to your hand, etc... Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the card, but there's something wrong in the execution of it. Not sure what it is though. Maybe the mechanic or cost needs tweaking. Maybe it should give you something extra. I'm not sure. But, I can't wait to see what some of you are going to come up with.

"Fixing" an X-spell should be pretty fun. Remember, it's an Uncommon. Keep it at Uncommon level. (Do I even need to say this anymore?)

Most importantly, have fun. Alright, let the darkartist roast begin!

:D
Bond of Agony
Sorcery

As an additional cost to play Bond of Agony, pay X life.
If was spent to play Bond of Agony, it can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Each other player loses X life.

The Rakdos are unique in designing torture equipment they can operate while "suffering" alongside their victims.

IMAGE(http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1500/bondofagonyca1.jpg)

(EDIT: Just ignore this fix, I've got a new one on the next page.)
I am better than you. http://www.kherkeep.com/ - Better than any forum you post on.
Bond of Agony
Instant
Bond of Agony deals X damage to target creature or player and you lose X life.

The Rakdos are unique in designing torture equipment they can operate while "suffering" alongside their victims.

I don't really know about this one, but here it goes. I believe I kept it at an uncommon level and I upped its playability. I'm trying to think if this card is unbalanced, but I don't think it is. I think it is very on flavor for back, and I like it.

-Steven
Bond of Agony
Sorcery
Each player loses X life.
Hellbent - If you have no cards in hand, instead each other player loses X life.
Come and join the agony.
------------
This fix improves the functionality of the card greatly, and even reduces the complexity of the card, no longer having the confusion surrounding additional cost versus effect, and paying life you don't have (or the several people who thought the card cost a couple mana and X was based on any life payment of your choosing).

Now, should they counter it, you don't lose the life. Also, since the life is no longer a payment, you can use this to force a draw if both sides are low on life. Heck, you can even force a ridiculous 6 way draw in a 6 man free-for-all. And best of all, with hellbent, you now get to keep off the rack yourself (see art) and get to play the role of torture master, avoiding the life loss. This makes it a potential win the entire free-for-all card. Its powerful, simple, and much better than the original.

And congrats AvalancheRider on win #10. Yeah, I wanted to get #10 first, but hey, you've been doing this for much longer, and needless to say you've got a knack for it. May the best man reach 20 first. :D

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Bond of Agony
Instant
Bond of Agony deals X damage to target creature or player and you lose X life.

I don't really know about this one, but here it goes. I believe I kept it at an uncommon level and I upped its playability. I'm trying to think if this card is unbalanced, but I don't think it is. I think it is very on flavor for back, and I like it.

-Steven

Psst: Consume Spirit.

I think the biggest problem with this card is that consume spirit is about 100x better, yet it still does not see play. Sure you can say the thing about black mana, but with all of the duals floating around, there is little difficulty amassing a significant amount of black mana especially now with the storage lands.

Bond of Agony X1BB
Instant
Hellbent - If you have no cards in hand target creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn.

This is so obviously a Rakdos card.
I always liked it more in a orzhov deck, since they tended to gain so much life. flavourfully, though, it would definately be rakdos, and nothing else. (maybe gruul, but it's black, and really just the name would make sense)
Well, my main and extreme difference, besides the need for black mana, is that my card is an instant. And while it is comparable to Consume Spirit, I do not think they are the same card. It is kind of comparing Condemn and Reciprocate. But to each his own.

-Steven

P.S. Both you and Dan forgot that Hellbent isn't a keyword. Y'all forgot the "if you have no cards in hand" clause.
Bond of Agony XB
Instant

Simple, direct, effective.
This is a tough one. I want to fix it, but it does exactly what it should do. By making it a "each player loses X life" you make it a "if you are losing, the game is instead a draw" kind of card. Not my kind of fun. For some? Yes. For me? Not quite.

The flavor text of the card speaks to me, but I don't have a fix yet.

I'll be back.
Bond of Agony ([manacost]XB[/manacost], Sorcery)
Hellbent - If you have no cards in hand and if [manacost]R[/manacost] was spent to play Bond of Agony, Bond of Agony deals X damage to each creature.

I couldn't really do much about making sure that you don't lose life, since I feel that any sort of uncounterability would infringe on Demonfire. So I went the other way, and made it a Limited bomb.
if it does exactly what it should do, then change it so it does the same thing, but better.
Bond of Agony XB
Sorcery
Each player loses life equal to the number of cards in their hand.
Hellbent: If {r} was spent on this spell, deal damage to each player equal to the highest converted mana cost card in their hand.

EDIT: New Version of card after reading radkos flavor.
Bond of Agony-
Sorcery
Each player loses X life where X is equal to the number of cards in your hand.

--mtalmuzicfan
4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
Bond of Agony XB
Sorcery
Each player chooses a number, the player with the highest number draws X amount of cards and each player loses X life.

Sorry, I am new to this.:D

So help me out here I guess.

Is the number at all linked to X? Or is it just a "Let's see who knows a bigger number" game?
For the record...

Danmage wins this week.

Edit: ...but only if this were a Rare. Sorry :P
Bond of Agony
Sorcery
Hellbent - If you have no cards in hand, instead each other player loses X life.
Come and join the agony.

That's what I was going to do (actually I was going to do Qmark's). :P Now I need to think...
Through my powers of necromancy I have resurrected my ego sig. Here are some highlights: Originally posted by PariahKing Just listen to AvalancheRider. Resistance is futile, and you will be pwned in the end. Originally posted by qmark Agreed. It's very difficult to be critical of perfect. Originally posted by Zeero Finally someone who has a point. Originally posted by Jagermeister in the Steam Forums Game's over losers, he got all the points covered. Compare your posts to his then kill yourself.
I need a do-over:

Bond of Agony
Instant
As an additional cost to play ~, pay X life.
Each opponent loses X life.

Instant'd! I also made it only nail opponents to make it more multiplayer-friendly.
Through my powers of necromancy I have resurrected my ego sig. Here are some highlights: Originally posted by PariahKing Just listen to AvalancheRider. Resistance is futile, and you will be pwned in the end. Originally posted by qmark Agreed. It's very difficult to be critical of perfect. Originally posted by Zeero Finally someone who has a point. Originally posted by Jagermeister in the Steam Forums Game's over losers, he got all the points covered. Compare your posts to his then kill yourself.
Bond of Agony 2
Instant

Target player loses [manacost]X[/manacost] life, where is [manacost]X[/manacost] is the amount of damage dealt to you this turn by sources that player controls.

Hellbent - if you have no cards in hand, target player loses [manacost]X[/manacost][manacost]X[/manacost] life instead.

------------------------------------
First card! It's fun.

This makes it more of a "bond" in my opinion, (in the spirit of binding agony and creature bond.)

The hellbent mechanic follows many other hellbent mechanics that double things (e.g. taste for mayhem, Anthem of Rakdos, Rakdos pit dragon).
Bond of Agony uncommon
Enchantment
Whenever you lose life, each other player loses an equal amount of life.
Hellbent - : Lose X life, spend only black and/or red mana in this way. Play this ability only if you have no cards in hand.

===========================

Avalanche Rider pretty much nailed my initial concept (curse work for keeping me away for too long) so I had to find a way of incorporating it without being too close to a copy and not being considered. I moved my initial concept to the Hellbent/Rakdos ability and added another ability that could be valuble enough to attract the card to be played. The card may be a little strong as an uncommon for Limited play, but I have always had a hard time judging cards in those formats and could be wrong. The card is definatley more of a Build-Around-Me-For-Fun card that might see some constructed play.
Bond of Agony -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
Whenever you lose life, you may pay . If you do, enchanted player loses 1 life.
Whenever enchanted player loses life, he or she may pay . If he or she does, you lose 1 life.
Bond of Agony -
Sorcery
Hellbent--If you have no cards in hand, you may pay life equal to twice X rather than pay Bond of Agony's mana cost.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I was going to do what Qmark did, but danmage wins this week. Can't beat that.

With my fix I'm trying to make a card that could be played as a finisher in some sort of Rakdos suicide aggro deck.

IMAGE(http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b260/BriantheFlyingPenguin/BondofAgony.jpg)

All it needs now are some decent creatures. How about we just fix the whole guild?
I've been thinking hard about the art and about the flavor text. Rakdos gets stronger as the pain is flung around. Therefore:

[indent][indent]Bond of Agony -
Instant
Creatures you control get +X/-X until end of turn. Creatures you don't control get -X/-X until end of turn.
The Rakdos are unique in designing torture equipment they can operate while "suffering" alongside their victims.[/indent][/indent]

As always, I reserve the right to tweak...

However, now the card is a choice that has to be made to destroy all creatures (al la Mutilate) or it could be a monster finisher to sweep your opponent's board and leave you one or two Ball Lightning esq finishers. It gives it the "party" atmosphere that Rakdos loves. Everyone gets to participate, not just 1 or 2. Also, the Rakdos feel the pain, but that only serves to get their adrenaline flowing and "pump them up" figuratively as well as physically. The rest of the "partygoers" (the unsuspecting partygoers, that is :evil feel the pain and are physically hurt by it. It weakens some, while kills others.

It fits the art, I think, and the flavor text a whole lot more. It loses some of the intial flavor as a "pay X life", but that was the main reason the card was never played.
[C=Hatred]Bonds of Agony[/C]
Bond of Agony

Sorcery

Bond of Agony can't be countered by spells or abilities.

Bond of Agony [manacost]xb[/manacost]
Instant
Target player loses X life, where X is less or equal then the amount of damage dealt to you this turn.
Bond of Agony ()
Instant
As an additional cost to play Bond of Agony, you may pay X life.
Each other player loses X life. If life was spent to play this spell, each creature gets +X/-X until end of turn.
None know pain until all suffer.
-----------------
It shouldn't just be players that get hurt. Everything should be affected, since it is a "bond" after all. I took that into consideration here. It's not too complicated, and +X/-X effects have been done at common, so this should be about right for an uncommon.
Bond of Agony [ ]
Sorcery
(This card is considerd black)
Suspend-X
When Bond of Agony is activated after it's suspend cost has been reached, your opponent loses an amount of life equal to X.
The thing that really makes the Rakdos suffer is having to wait for thier next victim...

Bond of Agony
Sorcery

Each other player loses X life.Then each player discards X cards.
Hellbent - If you have no cards in hand, each other player loses an additional X life.

About what one can not speak, one must remain silent.
@Shino - Suspend wasn't a mechanic in Dissension. FYI.

Well now... I've never liked the original Bond of Agony, but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed, right?

Let's see here.... a twist here... a stretch there... add one black mana... and voila!!

IMAGE(http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/SystemShakra/Magic%20Cards/BondofAgony.jpg)

Of course, I reserve the right to tweak as needed, but I think I'm quite settled on this. (This might actually need playtesting to see how good it is, but I don't think it's too far gone for Uncommon level)

Yeah.
I didn't read the rest of the submissions, so tell me if this has been done.

Bond of Agony
Instant
Target player loses life equal to the amount of life you lost this turn. (Damage dealt causes loss of life)

It's like Final Punishment, except cheaper and in reverse like Reverse Damage!
Bond of Agony -
Instant
Target player loses X life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Bond of Agony is in your graveyard, you lose 1 life.

I wanted to keep the flavor of suffering with your opponent, but added in the Rakdos theme of Act now, accept the consequences later. The result is an efficient burn spell that will eventually kill you if it doesn't kill your opponent first.
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
I'd play that one.
My revised fix:

Bond of Agony
Instant

Each other player loses X life. Then you lose X minus Y life, where Y is the amount of spent on X.

IMAGE(http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4896/bondofagonytaketwots6.jpg)

I've taken a completely new stance on this card. I feel my old one wasn't really all that creative. So I gave my old fix a complete overhaul.

First off, I've upped it to instant-speed. Gives it some flexibility, something it desperately needed.

I've taken somewhat the same approach as before - to make it a Rakdos guild card. I've made it similar to the real card, except the life loss on your part isn't part of the cost. So if the opponent wants to counter it, lo and behold, you haven't lost a point of life.

Now, as for the guild approach - for each red mana you pay, you lose 1 less life. Flavorwise, you're still suffering, but this embodies the "enjoyment" part of the torture. Everyone else is suffering and dying - you're just enjoying it. I believe this fits the flavor and the block mechanics a lot more than my old fix did.

Peace.
I am better than you. http://www.kherkeep.com/ - Better than any forum you post on.
Wow... kinda surprised that noone has balked at the idea of "fixing" this card. Maybe I underestimated you guys this time. ;)

Some pretty cool submissions thus far.

On a side note, since this thread has been getting so much traffic, I'm wondering if the "views" number will flip over when it hits 100,000.

Wow... kinda surprised that noone has balked at the idea of "fixing" this card. Maybe I underestimated you guys this time. ;)

I actually don't think it needs to be fixed, but it's not good either. This is like the bare minimum level of "meh"-itude that a card can have before I start saying it doesn't need fixing.
Wow... kinda surprised that noone has balked at the idea of "fixing" this card.

It's basically a "hope I have lots of mana and more life than the opponent and that they don't counter it" spell that confuses people frequently with the "Pay X life part" that they don't think is related to the casting cost for some reason and this is a run-on sentence. Other than that, it's excellent in every way. ;) In most games, it's a really awful Blaze variant. Only in multiplayer will it really shine, and then there is a greater chance of it being countered.

Well, I'm disappointed with the pick, insofar as it doesn't lend itself to much "fixing". Basically, it's an incredibly unfun effect (either wins the game on the spot or does nothing), but I actually like it in draft as a 10th pick random finisher.
Bond of Agony
Sorcery
Each player loses life.
If was used to pay for Bond of agony's casting cost, each player also discards cards.

"Dhigw."

This thread has been split for archiving purposes. Posts from before this week's fix can be found [thread=786140]here[/thread].
Wow... splitting of the great YFtC thread. How epic!

Awesome. :P
Sign In to post comments