Magic Area FAQ and Index

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

Magic Area FAQ and Index

Introduction

This thread is intended as a resource, mainly for newer users unfamiliar with the Magic area or with message boards systems in general. If you have a question about how the boards work or how they can be used, how to post something, or about where to find things in the Magic area, this is the place to look.

If you find an error or a broken link in this FAQ, or if you think there is something that needs to be covered or answered, please either post here or PM me so that I can fix the problems and am aware of your suggestion. Be aware that I may not respond, and if a suggested change is nitpicky, I might decide to leave it out in the interest of clarity. Please don't post questions here unless you are suggesting that they should be added to the FAQ.

If you have some other comment, PM me if you think it is important. I'm always looking for critique, so I welcome your feedback!

Table of Contents

• This Post
    • Introduction
    • Table of Contents

FAQ Index
    • Boards Information
    • Magic Rules
    • Magic Strategy
    • Magic Deckbuilding
    • Magic Sets
    • Magic Tournament Play
    • Miscellaneous Magic

Forum Features and Options
    • How do I give myself an avatar?
    • How do I get an avatar other than one of the preset avatar choices?
    • What do the little badges by some users' names mean?
    • How do I search the forums?
    • How do I edit the title of my thread?
    • How do I move around the forums quickly?
    • How do I report a post?
    • How do I add a user to my buddy or ignore list?
    • How do I get or stop getting e-mail notifications?
    • How can I create folders for PMs?
    • How do I change the times that appear on the boards?
    • How do I edit my birth date?
    • I don't like the color scheme. Can I change it?
    • Can I create polls?
    • How do I delete or move my posts or threads?

Posting Tags
    • What are vB tags and how do I use them?
    • What font colors can I use?
    • Which fonts are available?
    • What are the maximum and minimum font sizes?
    • How do I post pictures in my post?
    • How do I post card images?
    • How do I post a card image from a specific set?
    • How do I post card images using alternate art?
    • How do I make card links?
    • How do I use mana symbols and the tap symbol?
    • How do I make spoiler blocks?
    • How do I use deck tags?
    • How do I show tags?

Magic Section Structure
    • What is the Code of Conduct and where can I find it?
    • Where do I go to get help building or improving decks?
    • Where do I go to ask rules questions?
    • Where do I go to talk about unreleased sets or unofficial spoilers?
    • Where do I go to look for players in my area?
    • Where do I go to buy and sell cards or conduct trades with other members?

Community
    • Why do some people have special titles?
    • Why aren't I allowed a custom title without being given one?
    • How can I get rid of a custom title I don't like?
    • Why can't I talk about third-party Magic-playing programs?

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

FAQ Index
Back to the Table of Contents

• Boards Information
    Magic Area FAQ and Index
    This very thread; you're already here, so no need to click this.

[*]Magic Rules
  • FAQs and Reference
    A forum filled with FAQ and information threads related to Magic's rules.

Returning Player Rules Primer
    Just what it sounds like: a primer to help bring players who are returning to the game after a leave of absence up to speed on the rules changes that have occured since they left.

• Rules Q&A - Main Rules FAQ
    The Main FAQ for the Rules Q&A forum is an excellent resource for anyone with questions about the rules of the game. It has a number of supplementary FAQs, listed below.

Rules Q&A - Keyword FAQ
    A supplementary FAQ with information on every keyword in Magic.

Rules Q&A - Specific Cards & Combos FAQ

A supplementary FAQ with information on a large number of commonly-confusing cards.

[*]Magic Strategy

[*]Magic Deckbuilding
  • Casual Play

• Multiplayer
    • Multiplayer FAQ
      The Multiplayer forum FAQ; information on multiplayer play and variants.

• Commander (EDH)

• Cube Draft

• Standard
    • Standard Forums FAQ
      Information on the Standard format and the Standard forum, as well as links to helpful articles relevant to the format.

• Block Constructed
    • [thread=374505]Block Constructed Contact List[/thread]
      A contact list for users interested in playtesting against each other online.

• Extended
    • Extended FAQ
      Information on the Extended format and the Extended forum.

• Legacy

• Vintage
    • Vintage FAQ
      Information on the Vintage format and the Vintage forum.

• Vintage Encyclopedia
      Information on the most popular, competitive, and well-established decks in the Vintage format.

• Limited

[*]Magic Sets

[*]Magic Tournament Play

[*]Miscellaneous Magic
  • Magic General FAQ
    Information on the Magic General board and answers to various miscellaneous questions about Magic

• Dictionary Deck-O-Pedia
    A listing of well-known deck archetypes.

• YMtC --A Primer 

Information on the You Make the Card forum.

• [thread=44998]YMtC Resources & FAQ[/thread]
    Resources relevant to the You Make the Card forum and custom card creation in general.

• Storylines Info Booth
    More information on the Magic storylines than you can shake a stick at: characters, places, it's all here.

• Art & Artist FAQ
    Information on the Magic Art & Artist forum.

• Magic Artist Contact Info
    Contact information for a wide variety of Magic artists.

• [thread=342437]All the Un-Jokes[/thread]
    Listings of all the jokes in Unhinged.

Forum Features and Options

Q: How do I give myself an avatar?
A: Click "Home" on the toolbar at the top of any forum page, then "Change Profile Photo" in the sideboard on the left. From there you may upload an image to use as your community avatar. The maximum size is 160x160, and the image will be resized or cropped for use around the site if it's any larger or not square.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What do the little badges by some users' names mean?
A: There are several different tags, and each of them means something different. It's important to note that having some sort of tag does not necessarily mean that a user is affiliated with Wizards of the Coast or in any way "official"--most of the tags denote users without ties of any kind to Wizards.
  • ScribeScribes are the users who write and maintain the various FAQs and informational threads you'll find posted in most forums. They are volunteers who have no official connection to Wizards of the Coast or special status beyond being responsible for their FAQs.

• VCLVCLs (Volunteer Community Leads) are volunteers drawn from the community who work with Wizards of the Coast Community Management team to help make the boards a better place in any of various ways. This may include moving misplaced threads to more appropriate forums, directing discussion, organizing the creation or maintenance of various forum FAQs, distributing official statements or information, or collecting feedback from the community. They're here to help, so don't be afraid to contact one of them if you have any questions about the community.

• GuideForum Guides are users specifically recognized as being helpful, friendly, and reliable. They act in some ways as unofficial assistants to the VCLs. Like the VCLs, they're here to help.

• DnD PlaytesterD&D Playtesters are users who are involved in beta testing on the D&D side of the forums.

• UnConUnCon Prizewinners are users who have won a prize of some sort during the boards' annual UnCon celebration. They have no connection to Wizards of the Coast whatsoever.

• D&D InsiderD&D Insiders are simply users who subscribe to WotC's D&D Insider service. They have no connection to Wizards of the Coast whatsoever.

• GMGamemasters (GMs) are users who are in charge of running certain forums that were created as places to run specific games. Each GM is in charge of organizing game-related activity in one or more specific forums. Note that GMs have no official connection to Wizards of the Coast and do not have the power nor the authority to enforce the Code of Conduct. Only Moderators have that.

• JudgeJudges are users who are DCI-certified Judges of any level. They do not have any special authority on the boards.

• ORCORCs (also known as WizOs; they're Wizards Community's moderators) are official representatives of Wizards of the Coast Customer Service who enforce the Code of Conduct on the forums. The ORCs are paid employees who have been contracted by Wizards of the Coast to perform these duties.

• StaffStaff Members are users employed by Wizards of the Coast in some official capacity. This includes the ORCs, but also the people who actually work at the Wizards of the Coast offices in Renton, Washington, or else are their official representatives in some capacity. Note that while Staff are employed directly by Wizards of the Coast, for most of them being here is not part of their job; they are in no way obligated to post, nor are their thoughts and opinions necessarily reflective of the attitude of Wizards of the Coast as a whole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How do I search the forums?
A: When viewing a forum or thread, there is a search box at the top of the page. Select the appropriate option, enter your search terms, and click Go.

You can also search for posts or threads made by a specific user; click the little bust icon beside that user's username in the postbit. (The bar that shows the poster's name, avatar, and so on.) In the dropdown that comes up, "Find all posts by [user]" will allow you to search up all of that user's posts. You can also go to their public profile, where there will be an option to do the same from there.

Unfortunately, the search feature is currently fairly limited, and can only find individual posts, not threads.

If the forum's own search function isn't quite good enough, and you can't quite find what you want, you can try using Google; just add "inurl:community.wizards.com" after your search terms and it will only find pages within the community.

Q: How do I edit the title of my thread?
A: You cannot. The current boards software simply doesn't allow users to do that. You can, however, ask a VCL to have it changed for you, and they should be happy to oblige.

Q: How do I move around the forums quickly?
A: Near the top and bottom of every forum or thread is the "Jump Menu" box. It will take you to any forum you want to go quicker than by browsing through the forum structure manually.

Q: How do I report a post?
A: Click the "Report Post" button in the bar above the post.

Q: How can I create folders for PMs?
A: Click on "Home" in the toolbar near the top of any forum page, then on "Messages" in the sidebar, and then "Manage Custom Folders". You can add or delete custom PM folders from this page.

Q: I don't like the color scheme. Can I change it?
A: Click on "Home" in the toolbar near the top of any forum page, then on "Profile" in the sidebar, and then "Theme Selection".

Q: Can I create polls on the forums?
A: No, you can't; the software doesn't have that capability.

Q: How do I delete or move my posts or threads?
A: You can't move your posts or threads; normal users don't have the ability to do that. You can, however, delete your posts; the option should be right beside the option to Edit in the bar above your post.

Posting Tags

Q: What are tags and how do I use them?
A: Tags are special codes you can put into your posts to instruct the boards to apply certain formatting to the things within them. For example, tags can make your text bold or italic, create links, post images, or do a variety of other things.

Q: What font colors can I use?
A: Any color that your browser can recognize. To start with, there are an immense number of keyworded colors that all web browsers recognize that you can use. You can find a list of these colors here.

In addition to the named colors, you can use hexadecimal color codes to create almost any color you can think of. Just put its RGB values (in hexadecimal) into the tag, preceded by a pound sign (#).

Examples: #FF0000, #00FF00, #0000FF, #123456, #7890AB, #CDEF01, #FFCC00, #00CCFF

The first pair of digits represents the amount of red in the color, the second the amount of green, and the third the amount of blue. More color means the color is brighter, ranging from 00 (no color) to FF (full color).

Q: Which fonts are available?
A: Any font that your browser or operating system knows are available; however, if someone else looks at your text and their browser or operating system doesn't know those fonts, they won't display correctly--usually they'll just see a normal "default font" instead.

Some of the more common fonts are:

Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow, Batang, Bookman Old Style, Comic Sans MS, Courier New, Garamond, Haettenschweiler, Impact, Lucida Console, Lucida Sans, Lucida Sans Unicode, Tahoma, Times New Roman, erdana">Verdana

Q: What are the maximum and minimum font sizes?
A: Normally, your browser should know seven size steps:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

That's the standard, but some browsers know more or less than that. Generally, a size greater than 5 should probably be avoided except in headlines and the like. Large font is like using all capital letters: it gives the impression of shouting.

Q: How do I post pictures in my post?
A: You can either use HTML to hotlink an image that's hosted on a different site, or you can upload an image to the Wizards Community site directly using the "Insert Photo" button just below the post box.

Q: How do I make card links?
A: To link to a card in your post, simply place [c] or [card] tags around that card's name, like so:

[card]Lifelink[/card] --> Lifelink
[c]Runeclaw Bear[/c] --> Runeclaw Bear

Custom-text autocard links can be made by using [c=]  tags.

[c=Sakura-Tribe Elder]Steve[/c] --> Steve

Q: How do I post Magic symbols, such as the mana symbols?
A: The mana cost tags can allow you to do that. Simply place the appropriate letter or number for the symbol you want to display between [mc] tags. Use parentheses to enclose multi-letter symbol codes. The translation is as follows:
Symbol codes
Basic colors: w u b r g =

Colorless symbols: x y z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) = yz

Hybrid symbols: (wu) (ub) (br) (rg) (gw) (wb) (ur) (bg) (rw) (gu) = ()()()()()()()()()()

Other symbols: s t q c p (pw) (pu) (pb) (pr) (pg) (2w) (2u) (2b) (2r) (2g) = p(p)(p)(p)(p)()()()()()

Q: How do I include card images in my post?
A: You can use the HTML tags to post card images taken from Wizards' official site; to do so, simply use this URL:

...and replace "cardname" with the name of the card you want to link to, replacing all spaces and hyphens with underscores and removing all other punctuation. (For split cards, put two underscores between the two halves of the name, not just one.)

Q: How do I post a card image from a specific set?
A: If you want to display an image from a specific set, simply do as in the previous question, but replace "general" in the URL from the above question with the directory name for that set.
Directory Listing:
Starter, Promo, and many single-word sets use their full set name as the directory name; the codes for the remainder are listed below. (e.g. the directory for Invasion is "invasion" and the directory for Alpha is "alpha".)

Both Starter sets use the "starter" directory.

Alara Reborn = ARB
Conflux = CFX
Shards of Alara = ALA
Eventide = EVE
Shadowmoor = SHM
Morningtide = MOR
Lorwyn = LRW
Future Sight = FUT
Planar Chaos = PLC
Time Spiral Timeshifted = TSB
Time Spiral - TSP
Coldsnap = CSP
Ravnica: City of Guilds = RAVNICA
Saviors of Kamigawa = SOK
Betrayers of Kamigawa = BOK
Champions of Kamigawa = CHK
Fifth Dawn = FD
Mercadian Masques = MM
Urza's Destiny = UD
Urza's Legacy = UL
Urza's Saga = UZ
Ice Age = IA
Fallen Empires = FE
The Dark = DARK
Arabian Nights = AN
10th Edition = 10E
9th Edition = 9E
8th Edition = 8E
7th Edition = 7E
6th Edition = 6E
5th Edition = 5E
4th Edition = 4E
Portal: Second Age = PORTAL2
Portal: Three Kingdoms = P3K
Battle Royale = BR

Q: How do I post card images using alternate art?
A: The Brothers Yamazaki, basic lands, promo cards, and cards from the Fallen Empires, Alliances and Homelands sets may have different art versions. You can easily post these by doing as above, except adding 2, 3, or 4 (as appropriate) to the card name. So to see both versions of the Alliances Storm Shaman you would use:

{img src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/alliances/storm_shaman.jpg"} {img src="http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/alliances/storm_shaman2.jpg"}

(Only replacing the curly braces with angle brackets) to get:

storm_shaman.jpgstorm_shaman2.jpg

Q: How do I use mana symbols and the tap symbol?
A: The various mana symbols, as well as the other Magic-related symbols, are available on the boards as smilies; simply click the icon in the editing box that looks like a yellow circle with a brush drawing a face, find the symbol you want (they're on the final few pages), and double-click it. If you know the code for that specific symbol already, you can type it directly without going through the dialog box.

Q: How do I make spoiler blocks?
A: Using sblock tags. Whatever you surround with the tags will be enclosed in the spoiler block. You can also use the tag's = property to set a custom title for the block.
[sblock]How are you?[/sblock] becomes:

Show
How are you?

[sblock=Hello]How are you?[/sblock] becomes:

Hello
How are you?

Q: How do I use deck tags?
A:
[deck=Curious Dragon]
Casual deck, Sixty cards
4 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
4 Electrolyze
4 Curiosity
4 Brainstorm
4 Whirlpool Rider

4 Zap
4 Merchant of Secrets
4 Remand
4 Mindmoil
4 Izzet Signet

4 Steam Vents
4 Shivan Reef
4 Izzet Boilerworks
4 Mountain
4 Island
[/deck]

Will produce...

Basically, in a deck tag the deck's title is in the equal property. Any line that starts with a number gets parsed as a card. You can also put other text into the tag and even nest other tags into it.

Q: How do I show tags?
A: For bbcode tags (the ones that use square brackets), break them up with other tags. For HTML tags, replace the angle brackets with curly braces or some other form of brackets.

Magic Section Structure

Q: What is the Code of Conduct and where can I find it?
A: The Code of Conduct is the set of rules you must agree to follow when signing up for an account in order to gain posting rights. There's a link to it near the bottom of every page near the middle of the screen, in the 'Corporate' column, but in case that's too much work, click here

Violating the Code of Conduct can lead to moderator action against your posts or your account, including post editing, post deletion, and account locking, depending on the severity of the offense.

Q: Where do I go to get help building or improving decks?
A: There are several entire sections of forums devoted to deckbuilding; whether you're looking for help with a plain old casual deck or want to play to win in sanctioned tournaments. If you want help with your decks, those are the places to look; choose the appropriate forum for the deck you have or want to build and jump right in.

Q: Where do I go to ask rules questions?
A: The Rules Q&A forum is an excellent resource for anyone who needs rules-related help. It's not uncommon for threads posted there to receive answers within two minutes. (Though, if it takes a little longer, don't fret; it's almost never very long.)

The Rules Q&A FAQ and its supplemental FAQs are another excellent starting point if you're looking for answers.

Q: Where do I go to talk about unreleased sets and spoilers?
A: That would be the Future Set Speculation forum. All unmarked discussion of spoilers for unreleased cards or sets is restricted to that forum. If you must mention such things outside of the Future Set Speculation forum, please clearly mark spoiler threads as such; if you're posting within an existing thread, use [sblock] tags to keep spoilers hidden from casual viewing.

Q: Where do I go to look for players in my area?
A: You need to go to the TCG Gamer Classifieds forum. Remember to read the stickies there, as there's a specialized format you should post threads in within that forum.

Q: Where do I go to buy and sell cards or conduct trades with other members?
A: The Magic Cards Marketplace group is your go-to spot for everything related to buying, selling, and trading cards online.

Community

Q: Why do some people have special titles?
A: In the past, Custom Titles (CTs) were awarded as prizes for various contests around the boards. In addition, certain users, such as artists who have done work for Magic, have been awarded special titles to identify them. However, due to the limitations of the current boards software, they are not being distributed right now.

Q: Why aren't I allowed a custom title without being given one?
A: The forum software doesn't really allow it; the ones we have already were basically hacked in.

Q: How can I get rid of a custom title I don't like?
A: Unfortunately, the same limitations that stop us from granting CTs also prevent us from removing existing ones. Sorry.

Q: Why can't I talk about third-party programs for playing Magic over the internet?
A: Because Customer Service does not wish to allow discussion of such programs on these forums. Wizards have never explicitly stated why this is the case, but it is thought that Wizards believes such programs infringe on its copyrights.

{Reserved Space for Expansion}

Zammm, you might want to consider putting a briefd description under each FAQ type heading so new players have an idea of what's what.
i.e.

FAQ Index
[post=16790285]Back to the Table of Contents[/post]

[indent]General Interest
  • [thread=982291]Magic General FAQ[/thread]
    This contains info about MTG, including basic rules information.

• [thread=456567]Dictionary Deck-O-Pedia[/thread]
    This thread describes the major archetypes with specific deck lists.

• [thread=583713]TCG Metaboard FAQ[/thread]
    This thread has answers common questions about how these message boards work.

[/indent]
[post=16790285]Back to the Table of Contents[/post]

Guess what? Chicken butt.

You posted in the thread!

*hides from zammm's wrath*

zammm, on the Q and (2U) symbols, you might want to give them the image code so they can use them themselves.
All done, finally! :D

Getting this thread moved into place and stickied now...

Moved and stickied per VCL request.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
I think the following should be part of this Boards Business FAQ:

Q: What do the little tags by some users' names mean?
A: There are several different tags, and each of them means something different. It's important to note that having some sort of tag does not necessarily mean that a user is affiliated with Wizards of the Coast or in any way "official"--most of the tags denote users without ties of any kind to Wizards.
  • IMAGE(http://forums.gleemax.com/images/badges/scribe.gif)
    Scribes are the users who write and maintain the various FAQs and informational threads you'll find posted in most forums. They are volunteers who have no official connection to Wizards of the Coast or special status beyond being responsible for their FAQs.

• IMAGE(http://forums.gleemax.com/images/badges/uncon.gif)
    UnCon Prizewinners are users who have won a prize of some sort--generally a Custom Avatar or physical prize, during the boards' annual UnCon celebration. They have no connection to Wizards of the Coast whatsoever.

• IMAGE(http://forums.gleemax.com/images/badges/gm.gif)
    Gamemasters (GMs) are users who are in charge of running certain forums that were created as places to run specific games. Each GM is in charge of organizing game-related activity in one or more specific forums. Note that GMs have no official connection to Wizards of the Coast and do not have the power nor authority to enforce the Code of Conduct. Only Moderators have that.

• IMAGE(http://forums.gleemax.com/images/badges/moderator.gif)
    Moderators (also known as WizOs) are official representatives of Wizards of the Coast Customer Service who enforce the Code of Conduct on the forums. The WizOs are paid employees drawn from the forum community who have been contracted by Wizards of the Coast to perform these duties.

• IMAGE(http://forums.gleemax.com/images/badges/admin.gif)
    Administrators are the Moderators who are in charge of the rest of the moderation staff; they are the "head mods", if you will. Again, they are paid employees of Wizards of the Coast Customer Service.

• IMAGE(http://forums.gleemax.com/images/badges/staff.gif)
    Staff Members are users employed directly by Wizards of the Coast in some official capacity. These are the people who actually work at the Wizards of the Coast offices in Renton, Washington, or else are their official representatives in some capacity. Note that while Staff are employed directly by Wizards of the Coast, for most of them, being here is not part of their job; they are in no way obligated to post, nor are their thoughts and opinions necessarily reflective of the attitude of Wizards of the Coast as a whole.

It deals much more with this section than it does with MTG General (though I realize why you posted it there).

Also, for completeness sake, you should add the "UnCon Reporter" tag (though I totally forget which 3 or so people actually have one).
[*][thread=342437]All the Un-Jokes[/thread]
Listings of all the jokes in the various Un-sets.

Actually, this FAQ only has the jokes from Unhinged, it doesn't have jokes from Unglued.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/zammm/Smilies/Fixed.gif)

How does a person become one of those dealers who go to walmart and other stores to restock magic cards? Cause our local dealers sucks badly...never any new stuff at Walmart, Target, Shopco, and Kmart. Ive talked to each store person and they all say the store doesnt stock them, someone comes in once a week and stocks them. I would love to become a dealer doing that job.
I have tried the double underscore on split cards and cannot get it to work. A little help here?
Fire__Ice
Fire_ _Ice
Fire_Ice
Fire __ Ice

Thanks.
I have tried the double underscore on split cards and cannot get it to work. A little help here?
Fire__Ice
Fire_ _Ice
Fire_Ice
Fire __ Ice

Thanks.

[card]Fire // Ice[/card] = Fire // Ice

Thank you very much. With all your help I'll look like a pro soon.

• [thread=923561]What Everyone Should Know Before Posting[/thread]
      How to post and format your decklists for critique to increase the likelihood that others will be willing to help you.

This thread that you link to uses the noparse tag alot, which is broken, so its not very useful in showing people how to autocard and whatnot.  Most of what that thread covers is also covered in this FAQ, so maybe you don't need to link to it anymore?

Also, this FAQ says that mana symbols are available as smilies.  That's true, but can you also show how to use the MC tag?
How do you put a neat box around card ideas you are posting?

Thanks
[quote author=56843498 post=471038481]How do you put a neat box around card ideas you are posting?

Thanks[/quote]
Yields...
How do you put a neat box around card ideas you are posting?

Thanks

Or did you want something else?

Thanks

Thanks

Doh! Should have realised its the same as in here.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I was referring to the GDS wiki site. This only seems to work in forums. Any ideas?
The link to code of conduct doesn't actually link to code of conduct. Man, this is hard to find.
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
The link has now been corrected; sorry about that!

Edit Request:

I seems that lately custom titles cannot be removed. If possible, could you please update post #6 question 3 "How do I get rid of a custom title I don't like?" to reflect the current state of affairs?

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

I've performed a number of minor updates, including that CT correction. As always, let me know if there's any problems.

I'm planning on expanding the section on tags to include a full list of available bbcode tags and smilies, but that will have to wait for the moment.

Hello, is there a tag for Phyrexian mana yet? 
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
No, there is not.

How do I make a signature?
Post #4 regarding the deck tags needs to be updated. The deck tags do not use the * asterisk after the number when stating how many copies of the card are in the deck. You just need to list the number of copies of the card followed by the name of the card, like so.

[deck=Rats!]
36Relentless Rats
24Swamp
[/deck]

A space can be placed between the number of copies of the card and the card name if you like if it makes it easier to read while composing the post or showing others how to use the deck tags.

[deck=Rats!]
36 Relentless Rats
24 Swamp
[/deck]

[deck=Rats!]
36 Relentless Rats
24 Swamp
[/deck]
Can you please update this post whenever it becomes convenient for you to do so? If you do, be sure to remove the phrase "60 cards" from inside the deck tags or the deck list will render the phrase as a broken autocard link. Also, Niv-Mizzet has a hyphen and Shivan Reef does not have an s at the end, so you may want to correct those as well so that they autocard correctly in your example.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

I second that.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.

I second that.

In order to make a signature, at the top of this page, click on Preferences between the top of the thread and the menu bar. (You can also find Preferences at the top of most other message boards pages as well.) On the page that follows is a list of options, including a box for typing in what you want your signature to be. Put in whatever you like and then hit the Update Preferences button. Keep in mind that your signature accepts all tags and coding that a post does, so if you want to autocard, link to a certain place, add an image or spoiler block, ect, you can certainly do so.

@ Zammm

It appears that how to make a signature is missing from the FAQ. If you get the opportunity, can you please add something to the FAQ for this, unless it is already there and I somehow glossed over it.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

In the FAQ, you tagged runeclaw bear as runeclaw bears, I don't really care, but the tag doesnt work so people might get confused
Where, if anywhere, is the appropriate place to discuss moderation decisions OTHER THAN PMing the moderator involved?

(I've done that over the one I have in mind, but I am less than optimistic about that being a helpful route. Not that the problems are of anywhere near equal seriousness, but if one wants to make an appeal in a case of say, alleged police brutality, the accused cop is the last person who should get to rule on the appeal - even if innocent!)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Where, if anywhere, is the appropriate place to discuss moderation decisions OTHER THAN PMing the moderator involved?

(I've done that over the one I have in mind, but I am less than optimistic about that being a helpful route. Not that the problems are of anywhere near equal seriousness, but if one wants to make an appeal in a case of say, alleged police brutality, the accused cop is the last person who should get to rule on the appeal - even if innocent!)

It depends. If you want to have a discussion about VCL moderation policy, which I am generally happy to do, a new thread in this forum is appropriate. Discussion of specific incidents is usually okay here, though it will almost always be redirected back to a conversation on moderation philosophy.

If you believe a VCL is abusing his power or something along that line (more in line with your analogy), you should contact customer service.

If you want to discuss ORC moderation policy, that is a much touchier subject. You can make a thread in this forum, which can sometimes be beneficial, but is completely non-binding on customer service (and they rarely partcipate, though I can point out the thread to them to look consider). Such threads also usually have a pretty quick lock trigger if they get unruly. Discussion of specific events here is strictly forbidden.

If you want to complain about the specific moderation of an ORC, again contacting customer service is the way to go.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Colorless mana symbols x, y, and z are listed in the text, but don't seem to be supported by the [mc] and [/mc] tags.
Colorless mana symbols x, y, and z are listed in the text, but don't seem to be supported by the [mc] and [/mc] tags.

Add it to the list of things that will not get fixed in a timely fashion.
can we get X and Y back in mana costs tags? Started by razorborne 2 years ago :: Jul 17, 2011 - 5:53PM

Add it to the list of things that will not get fixed in a timely fashion.
can we get X and Y back in mana costs tags? Started by razorborne 2 years ago :: Jul 17, 2011 - 5:53PM

Oh, but there's a workaround, that's nice at least.

The FAQ needs to be thoroughly revised to take into account the forum changes.