Pete Venters - Thread 2.0

299 posts / 0 new
Last post

Well, the last thread ran for six years and finally became too large for its own good. Time for a new shiny thread. In some ways, I think of this post as post 2671. :D 

Firstly, here's the full info on sending me cards to sign if that's what you came here looking for...

Card Signing by Mail - All you need to know - Updated 9/2013

While I'm always happy to receive cards for signing I cannot guarantee a turnaround time as I have to give priority to the day job.

I don't charge for signatures, but I do charge for sketches. Unfortunately, I no longer do alterations of card images as I cannot work on such small images due to severe eyestrain.

If you want cards signed here's the mailing address:

Pete Venters

PO Box 70331

Seattle, WA 98127 - 0331

U.S.A.

Important info -

1) Please, no more than 20 cards.

2) No more than 4 of any single card.

3) Include a letter if you can; it's always nice to get something from fans which amounts to more than "Please sign my cards."

4) If you prefer your cards to be signed in black, red, gold, or silver ink, tell me. And tell me everytime you send me cards. I can't hope to keep track of your preferences.

5) Don't send me a second set of cards before you've had the current batch returned. If it's taking a long time it's because I'm very busy.

6) While I will attempt to replace any card damaged while in my care, I cannot be held responsible for any cards lost or damaged in the mail. Your best chance to keep your cards safe is to pay close attention to the following shipping info:

Shipping -

1) Make sure you include an SASE with correct postage. An SASE is a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope in which your cards will be returned to you.

2) Please, make sure both your envelope and the return envelope inside have the correct postage. Do not guess. If you are wrong I'm the one that has to pay the extra and I am under no obligation to return cards when it'll cost me money.

3) Don't trust your cards to cheap envelopes. Loose cards might bunch at one end of an envelope and cause the envelope to rip as it passes through the Post Office's sorting machine. Good quality envelopes are a smart investment.

4) The best packing method I've found for cards is to place them into a single 9 pocket card sheet. Fold the pocket along the horizontal seams and you've got a small but well protected package that should fit into a standard envelope.

5) Alternatively, padded envelopes are always good.

6) Please avoid envelopes larger than 8 x 10 inches. My PO Box is average size. An oversized envelope is often damaged by Post Office employees who'll just cram it into the PO Box.

7) Most cards shipped in the U.S. will reach me in a week. Two weeks for Canada and Europe. Longer for elsewhere.

8) Those of you sending cards from outside the U.S. should include sufficient return postage in the form of International Reply coupons. Ask at your Post Office. Alternatively, include payment (cash or International Money Order) in U.S. dollars for the return cost. Just be sure that it's not obvious the package has cash in it.

Remember I only sign cards that feature art that I did. This may seem like an obvious clause but you'd be surprised how many times people think I'll sign any card. It's impolite to sign another artist's work.

For a complete list of cards I've done follow this link to a visual spoiler on Gatherer.

If you're interested in acquiring some prints, artist proofs or original paintings, contact Pete at peteventers (at) gmail (dot) com Pete also occasionally appears on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PeteVenters

First one in your new thread. Lets go for another six year more.

Go Venters, go!
It's so nice to have an artist doing this!
Wee...
New thread

Congrats for the previous, Pete.
More than 6 years old and worth of 2670 posts!
You should totally doodle a quick sketch of yourself as a Terminator for the first post. Pete Venters 2.0.
You are easily my favorite Magic the Gathering artist. My hats off to you sir for the work your doing here and I'll be sending some cards to you soon as your ready for them.
I play Legacy only, and a little EDH. 2009 UGr Dreadstill 1st place KC Legacy Nationals UGR Tempo Thresh ***th place GP Chicago BUG Vial Affinity Petal Powered Ichorid EDH MonoU Arcum'sLattice I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Hello again...just wondering, do you have a batch of cards from me in your backlog / is it possible for you to figure this out?
Sent a bunch of cards to various artists in a burst of activity a few weeks ago; can't recall if I sent out some cards to you around that time.
Magic player since July 2004. Timmy/Vorthos/Spike.

Originally Posted by {mikeyG}, MTGS admin "[i]n my book, the real cool people are the ones who say "**** what everyone else does just to fit in, I'm going to do what I want." "Gonna take these haters down, and toast them like some Eggo's, man..." - K. Flay, 'We have Arrived' It's Worldwake preorder time: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75850/22196965/KingAlans_Worldwake_preorder_thread

Hey Pete. I posted this in a forum in itself but nobody seems to be entertaining my curiosity, so I figured I'll ask an artist directly.

How much money would an MTG artist like yourself make for each commission?
How much of your work is for MTG compared to other products?
Ooooh... Shiny. Hey, just wondering if you could give us an update on where you are with the card signing. On the old thread you said you were up to about January, but that was about a month ago. Just want to see if I can guesstimate when I'll be getting back my single Holy Day sent somewhere in March/April. Still a devoted fan of Drawn Together, and still working on a Pete Venters theme deck.
What's the difference between a duck? One leg is both the same. Is it farther to Chicago or by bus? Depends on whether you walk or take your lunch.
First one in your new thread. Lets go for another six year more.

That seems only fitting that you got in first.

It's so nice to have an artist doing this!

I've been doing it for... oh, six years! ;)

Congrats for the previous, Pete.
More than 6 years old and worth of 2670 posts!

Thanks. Who knows what the future holds.

You should totally doodle a quick sketch of yourself as a Terminator for the first post. Pete Venters 2.0.

Well, lets hope the future doesn't hold Terminators...

If you're interested in acquiring some prints, artist proofs or original paintings, contact Pete at peteventers (at) gmail (dot) com Pete also occasionally appears on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PeteVenters

Hello again...just wondering, do you have a batch of cards from me in your backlog / is it possible for you to figure this out?

I presume you didn't put "King Alan" on the envelope so I'm not sure. Don' sweat it, I hope to tackle the cards soon.

Ooooh... Shiny. Hey, just wondering if you could give us an update on where you are with the card signing.

The update is that I haven't been able to do any card signing for awhile what with work, home and my wife's recent book launch - Gothic Charm School - which btw contains about 50 line illustrations by me.

How much money would an MTG artist like yourself make for each commission?
How much of your work is for MTG compared to other products?

1) I can't tell you the going rate for MTG commissions. The Powers That Be do not like money being discussed. I saw the question in its original thread and I didn't answer it for a reason, I'm afraid.

2) I think 70% or so of my total body of work is MTG. Another 20% is other CCGs like V:Tes, Doomtown, and (coming soon) Warcraft. The other 10% is images for books (like Gothic Charm School), comics (though nothing in 15 years!) and a few RPG images (most recently the Monster Manual).

1) I can't tell you the going rate for MTG commissions. The Powers That Be do not like money being discussed. I saw the question in its original thread and I didn't answer it for a reason, I'm afraid.

In that case... What kind of car do you drive?;)
That seems only fitting that you got in first.

:D

I presume you didn't put "King Alan" on the envelope

ROLF

Mr. Venters do not drives a car. He has goblin minions whom carry him over his shields.

An old one. Admittedly I bought it new.

Though I think I like Gregtork's answer best.

Agreed! Doo eet!

=============

*puts on Serious Face*

It is a shame the old (-ish) thread got locked, but sometimes it is time to move on. :/
At least the thread will be archived, not deleted.

Except that the Archive Monster removes images, hyperlinks, formatting, quote brackets, and all that other nifty stuff.

So I ran the Pete Venters [1.0] thread through my Internet Buddy Archive Macro!

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nokrtigvjnm/Pete Venters Archive I.zip (12.5 MB)

The macro hijacks all the hyperlinks for the pervious/first/last/etc links, as well as saving the images in an offline folder. Now you can see the old thread offline! Yays!
The resources in the Resource folder are used by the various pages, but the images that were attached after posts are in the attachments folder.
The macro was never intended to save those images properly, since they get downloaded with generic names instead of file names. Anyway, those are all compiled in the folder. I may fix them eventually, but I don't feel like tracking down each fix right now. >_<

Let me know if anything is wonky, and I'll try to fix it.

Keep up the great work Pete! Hope you make it into the next set (or twenty).

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

hi pete-someone told me that your signing at comiccon where you will be signing the magic cards, wont be at the convention center but at some tournament at some hotel. is that true? bummer. i thought you would be upstairs in the con center. do you know any of the details?
Let me know if anything is wonky, and I'll try to fix it.

Well, I don't know if anyone is up to the task, but I can guarantee that I will never have time to look.

Keep up the great work Pete! Hope you make it into the next set (or twenty).

Fraid not. I have a few tokens coming up, but you won't see me in a regular Magic release for at least a year.

hi pete-someone told me that your signing at comiccon where you will be signing the magic cards, wont be at the convention center but at some tournament at some hotel. is that true? bummer. i thought you would be upstairs in the con center. do you know any of the details?

I'm at the Magic Tournament and I'm pretty sure that's in the Convention Center. However, I have sent an email to the Tournament organizer and we'll find out.

Hey, would you ever be willing to put up wallpaper size art? There are too few full art posts anywhere for any genre, and it makes me mad that Magic is one of those at the bottom of the board as it generally has the best art. In fact, I've met quite a few people who have rarely ever played the game, yet collected for years just because of the art.

Hopefully you'll be more amenable since you're such a part of the community.

p.s. Are you doing "UnCon" again? Last years was great, and I need another shot to get a sketch. :P
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Iamajelldonut; generally I don't put up wallpaper size imagery. I make my living selling art and putting up an image that is large enough for people to freely print out and hang up eats at the bank account.

There's also the fact that the boards have a pretty small file size maximum.

However, having said all that I have considered that once my own site is launched I will ocassionally post wallpapers. It's still under consideration and who knows when I'll have time to put that site up. I thought I'd have been done 2 years ago!

I almost certainly won't be doing Uncon this year. Sketchathon has been bi-yearly and I have no intent on making it more frequent. Sketchathon 2010 may or may not happen, ask me next year.

Fraid not. I have a few tokens coming up, but you won't see me in a regular Magic release for at least a year.

(With Homer voice): Must kill JJ Wee! Must Kill JJ Wee! Must Kill JJ Wee!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQg_WoKYu4
Hello there Mr. Venters! I am a long time fan of your work, and I hear you are going to be attending the San Diego comic book convention. It would be awesome to meet you and get some prints and artist proofs from you. Do you know what booth number you will be in? Thanks so much, and I look forward to meeting you hopefully!
Just to clear this up again (I mentioned it in the last thread but no big deal), I will be wherever the Magic tournament is being held.

The problem being is that I still haven't got a response as to where that is.

The second thing you should know is that I am not allowed to sell anything in the tournament area - convention rules. If you want prints or proofs, I recommend you email me at the address in my sig, and pre-pay and armed with your receipt I will give you your product there.

Or just mail it to you. Whichever.

The cost of booths at SDCC is really high and since I want to tour the show (first time I've been in 10 years), it just didn't make financial sense to have a booth.

Iamajelldonut; generally I don't put up wallpaper size imagery. I make my living selling art and putting up an image that is large enough for people to freely print out and hang up eats at the bank account.

There's also the fact that the boards have a pretty small file size maximum.

However, having said all that I have considered that once my own site is launched I will ocassionally post wallpapers. It's still under consideration and who knows when I'll have time to put that site up. I thought I'd have been done 2 years ago!

I almost certainly won't be doing Uncon this year. Sketchathon has been bi-yearly and I have no intent on making it more frequent. Sketchathon 2010 may or may not happen, ask me next year.

Saaaaad dinosaur.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Mr. Venters, we have a question over on the Flavor and Storyline board that you might be able to help us with, since you were around in the early days of Magic flavor. Someone recently put forth the proposition that non-human Planeswalkers like Nicol Bolas are a corruption of the original concept of the 'Walker, and only humans should be allowed to be 'walkers. Yet, there are characters like Shandruu that show up very early in Magic continuity.

To the best of your knowledge, were 'Walkers originally supposed to be solely human, and the later non-human walkers are a "pollution of the purity of the spark" as this guy puts it?

Thanks!
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

A follow up on this; the Magic stuff is being held at the convention, in room 15B, so that is where you will find me.

Mr. Venters, we have a question over on the Flavor and Storyline board that you might be able to help us with, since you were around in the early days of Magic flavor. Someone recently put forth the proposition that non-human Planeswalkers like Nicol Bolas are a corruption of the original concept of the 'Walker, and only humans should be allowed to be 'walkers. Yet, there are characters like Shandruu that show up very early in Magic continuity.

To the best of your knowledge, were 'Walkers originally supposed to be solely human, and the later non-human walkers are a "pollution of the purity of the spark" as this guy puts it?

Thanks!

It's sorted.

Mr. Venters,

Is it a good time to send cards at the moment? I have 2-3 that I would like to try and get signed (first time sender), but I don't want to be another thing on the "To-Do" list, haha.

I was also wondering, when I send the cards, would you mind writing my name pointing to one of the goblins on Krark-Clan Engineers, or does that count as customizing the art and giving you eyestrain? I was also hoping you could sign your name pointing to another goblin, but if that is out of the question, I'm quite ok with that. If this is all ok, I will be sure to include it in my letter.

Thanks for your time.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Mr. Venters,

Is it a good time to send cards at the moment? I have 2-3 that I would like to try and get signed (first time sender), but I don't want to be another thing on the "To-Do" list, haha.

I was also wondering, when I send the cards, would you mind writing my name pointing to one of the goblins on Krark-Clan Engineers, or does that count as customizing the art and giving you eyestrain? I was also hoping you could sign your name pointing to another goblin, but if that is out of the question, I'm quite ok with that. If this is all ok, I will be sure to include it in my letter.

Thanks for your time.

You might as well send them. We're barely home at the moment due to the Gothic Charm School book tour, so I know I won't be able to tackle cards until August.

What you're asking for on the card really isn't anything more than personalizing the card, so that's okay. Writing words is easy, drawing to match the lines of a card image is not.

Here's a quick breakdown of what's been happening. I'm on tour with my wife to promote her book Gothic Charm School (which is available worldwide at book sellers). Last weekend was New York.

I did think about putting out the call to any of the Magic playing locales in NYC that I'd be in town and up for signing stuff and selling prints but I suspected (correctly) that the other events were going to make the weekend pretty full. It was also mid 80°s and incredibly humid.

Hopefully I'll get back to NYC next year and this time I'll try to arrange an appearance.

Next up is San Diego Comic-Con. I'll be signing Gothic Charm School with my wife in the Autograph Area, Friday 3pm to 4pm, table AA6. Please note, this signing is just for the book, not Magic cards.

Magic card signing is in room 15B, Saturday 3pm to 5pm and Sunday 2pm to 4pm.

After SDCC, I'll be in Portland Oregon for my wife's last stop in the Gothic Charm School book tour.

Then, it'll be the start of August and I'll hopefully be returning to 3 pieces of artwork that will have cleared sketch approval. If they have I will probably have time to sign cards, but if I have to do revisions to the sketches then I don't know if I will have to bump the signing or not.

And that is my crazy couple of weeks ahead.

You might as well send them. We're barely home at the moment due to the Gothic Charm School book tour, so I know I won't be able to tackle cards until August.

What you're asking for on the card really isn't anything more than personalizing the card, so that's okay. Writing words is easy, drawing to match the lines of a card image is not.

Ok, thanks a lot. Sounds like you're really busy for a while, but hopefully you're enjoying it!
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Hopefully I'll get back to NYC next year and this time I'll try to arrange an appearance.

:D:D:D
COB.png
Hi Pete,

I have a few cards I would like to send you for autographing - cards that were very helpful for my Legacy World Championship deck I played over the weekend at GENCON. I also have a question with a card - I have been trying to track down the flavor text writer for the Tempest version of Dark Ritual (the one in my avatar) and people pointed me in your direction as you were on the Weatherlight flavor team. Are you aware of who may have written this flavor text? Or who was on the Tempest flavor text team?

Thanks!
Hi Pete,

I have a few cards I would like to send you for autographing - cards that were very helpful for my Legacy World Championship deck I played over the weekend at GENCON. I also have a question with a card - I have been trying to track down the flavor text writer for the Tempest version of Dark Ritual (the one in my avatar) and people pointed me in your direction as you were on the Weatherlight flavor team. Are you aware of who may have written this flavor text? Or who was on the Tempest flavor text team?

Thanks!

And btw, we disscussed it here.

Hey, you have a Plane card! I'd post an image or a link or something to The Dark Barony, but God alone knows how to do that right now. It looks to have far more detail to pore over than most plane cards. I'm especially interested in that thing in the middle. Only somebody with Sengir's sense of style would make village-square communal clothes-lines mandatory.

I'll tackle questions next week after my deadline.

For now, let me say I'm underwhelmed with the new boards.

The transition seems to have wiped out ALL of my attached images.

There's no way to lose the superfluos sidebar.

And I don't seem to be able to change the font size of the boards. they're actually a little too small for my strained eyes.

Let's hope some of this gets sorted out before it leaves Beta.

Undecided

Pete, I never realized you did the artwork on cleansing, from the dark.  I love that art. 

Anyway, tty soon. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

^

he probably has the original art for sale if you want to get an early christmas present ;)

Well Pete,

I sent my cards to you - and hopefully they get to you correctly - the post office here in Canada would not let me send an international envelope with product unless I bought this strange return envelope form - but they said if you went to the post office there that they would be able to figure it out and you wouldn't be charged for sending the mail (it cost me $3.50) back.

Anyways, hope they get to you soon!

Hey Pete, I wanted to just throw this in here for whenever you read the thread again.

Lately on MTGS, there has been a big debate with a certain Magic artist having a problem with people selling altered-art cards of his.

What is your opinion on this matter? Do you get angry when you see someone alter one of your cards and sell it?

COB.png

A very quick update; I haven't been around much partially due to getting things done and partially because I cannot actually get to the boards vis Firefox anymore. I'm posting from Safari, not my browser of choice. 

Can anyone point me to a thread where these problems are being discussed? Hopefully there's a solution to the Firefox issue but it may be that I have to wait until Firefox updates as this all happened after the last Firefox update.

Anyway, more importantly, I have cleared my backlog of card signings. I have been shipping cards back to people since last Friday and sent the last batch today. Those of you that waited more than three months for your cards will find a little gift included with your cards.

Due to time constraints I could not add notes with the cards, so sorry for the lack of a personal response.

Catch you later.