LG Questions/Answers

711 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stealing this idea from the XE guys. Thanks guys! :p

In order to more effectively answer campaign questions and get material for future Dispel Confusions, I'm starting a Q&A thread. Hopefully, most of these issues will be addressed in future Dispel Confusions and subsequent LGCS editions. This thread has some very specific rules. If you violate these rules, you endanger the continued existence of this thread. Consider yourself warned!

1) Don't expect answers to all your questions. I will answer what I can, but knowing the types of questions I am likely to get, I will probably have to make a note of it and discuss it with the rest of the Circle for a while. Know, however, that I have read your question and am trying to get an answer.

2) No arguing about anything on here. In fact, no discussion at all. This thread should only be for players to post LG-specific questions and for me or other Circle members to answer said questions. If you want to discuss a particular question, start a new thread. If I do not answer a question and you think you know the answer, feel free to start a new thread, but DO NOT post an answer in here.

3) Try to read through the past posts to make sure your question has not already been asked. Asking multiple times will not help you get an answer; it will only annoy me

4) This is for LG-specific questions only. Do not ask me how many HD a rock of size X has for the purposes of polymorph any object.

5) No self-policing. If you think someone is breaking the thread rules, let them know politely off-list rather than in this thread. And be sure to be nice, they might not think they were breaking the rules.
Britt, thanks for setting this up and the extensive time you are putting into your participation on the lists.

The LGCS rules for Craft Wondrous Item, Create Rod, Create Staff, and Forge Ring list a number of rules associated with the creation of items specifically from the DMG; the bullet points for these feats fall under a heading that specifies the DMG magic item tables only. (LGCS p. 54) A common application of this is that these rules apply to items from all sources, not just the DMG. I've provided detail in the questions below to isolate the question to the issue of the source of the item.

Questions:

1) Can a character who has Craft Wondrous Item and CL7 craft a CL5 3,000gp item from Complete Arcane without having had AR purchase access, nor other campaign access to purchase or craft that item?

2) Can that same character craft a CL7 3,000gp item from Complete Arcane to which she has had purchase access only?

Thanks,

David
How many non-trip tricks does a riding dog with trip have? The LGCS says:

When you buy an animal, you may pick an extra trick for each point of Intelligence the animal has. You must pick the tricks from page 74 of the PH under Handle Animal. For the riding dog, you may either pick two extra tricks or use these two trick slots to make the dog trained to use a trip attack (as specified in the riding dog entry in the Monster Manual v.3.5).

Depending on the reading of the second "extra", this could mean that the riding dog has two extra tricks on top of attack - these two tricks can be spent to buy the trip ability (leaving the dog with only Attack + Trip), or that the dog has trip by default and if you decide not to choose it you gain "two extra tricks" on top of the extra tricks for intelligence.

Either way I would clarify the wording in the next LGCS - in the first interpretation perhaps say "you may either pick *these* two extra tricks or...", for the second use a word other than extra ("you may either pick two tricks in addition to the extra tricks gained for intelligence").

AW.
Does access to a scroll of a non-PHB spell before 3rd level allow a wizard to:

a) Cast this spell from the scroll

b) Scribe the scroll into their spellbook

c) Memorize and cast the spell once scribed

As a specific example, if I gain access to scrolls of Orb of Acid, Lesser (a core non-PHB spell) at second level, can I then memorize and cast it or do I have to wait until 3rd.

AW.
Is there any way to improve named weapons and armor?

Example: I bought the +2 Adamantine Longsword from the year 4 mod Real Hero Blues. I was then able to use the favor attached to it to add Holy to it at half the cost. My question is, can I increase this weapon any more, like add another enhancement bonus or add Bane (Evil Outsiders) to it, if I have non-related access to do so?

Example: I bought the +2 Adamantine Longsword from the year 4 mod Real Hero Blues. I was then able to use the favor attached to it to add Holy to it at half the cost. My question is, can I increase this weapon any more, like add another enhancement bonus or add Bane (Evil Outsiders) to it, if I have non-related access to do so?

Yes, I think you can, you just have to pay the cost, which is very high.
You have a +2 Holy Adamantine Longsword, which is an effective +4 weapon. If you add Bane to it (and assuming you have access to bane), the cost is the cost of a +5 weapon - the cost of a +4 weapon = 18k gold

As a specific example, if I gain access to scrolls of Orb of Acid, Lesser (a core non-PHB spell) at second level, can I then memorize and cast it or do I have to wait until 3rd.

The answer is yes, as long as you paid for the scroll, you have the scroll. As long as you have the scroll, you have access.

So you can cast the spell at second level But if you use the scroll before scribing, you would lose access though.
What holiday do poeple selebrate in the winter in the Flanaess?
What holiday do poeple selebrate in the winter in the Flanaess?
I'll only answer once. ;)

Needfest!
Herrbard a.k.a. Dan Erbacher Old, bald and tired.
This thread's about to go away. Read the rules!

If it is actually named, it might be a non-standard magic item and, therefore, unable to be upgraded. This really depends on the mechanics of the item and the text of the AR. If the item is really just a +2 holy adamantine longsword, then it is a standard item. However, if the ability to upgrade to holy at half cost is a function of the item, it is a nonstandard item, as it has an ability that is not normally present in the DMG description. See LGCS 56-57. If it is nonstandard, you will need some sort of specific campaign documentation that allows upgrade of that item. That access would likely need to be related specifically to that item, as I do not think we would give access to upgrade any nonstandard item; the range of possible items that covers is too large for that to be a safe favor.
1) Can a character who has Craft Wondrous Item and CL7 craft a CL5 3,000gp item from Complete Arcane without having had AR purchase access, nor other campaign access to purchase or craft that item?

2) Can that same character craft a CL7 3,000gp item from Complete Arcane to which she has had purchase access only?

Ok, I've read, reread, reread, and reread the rules on MIC and come to a conclusion. This may not be entirely correct, as I may have missed something, but it seems to be the case.

As you indicated, the rules on MIC only allow for the creation of items in the DMG or from campaign documentation that provides the opportunity to create items from another source. There are no rules on what qualifies as campaign documentation providing such opportunity. There is a bullet point specifying that an item "with frequency any, adventure, regional, metaregional, or core is valid purchase source for magic item creation." However, there is no rule mentioning what a "valid purchase source" does for a crafter.

So, by the rules-as-written (RAW), you would need a specifically worded favor on an AR in order to be able to craft anything outside the specific entries in the DMG listed in the LGCS. Just having access to purchase an item from a source other than the DMG would not grant ability to craft said item, under the RAW. Under the RAW, items priced 2500gp or less from the DMG lists can be created once the prerequisites are met; items over 2500gp from the DMG lists can be created if you have (meet the prerequisites to craft said item) AND ((have access to purchase said item) OR (exceed the CL requirement of said item by 2)).

However, I do not believe this was the intent of the rules. I believe the intent of the rules was that access to purchase an item from a source other than the DMG qualified the crafter to create the item once the prerequisites were met. There is no indication of this, at all, in the RAW; but, due to the widespread use of MIC in this manner without any correction by the Circle, I believe that was the intent. I will get feedback from the rest of the Circle on this. Until then, I recommend avoiding crafting items from sources other than the DMG, just to be safe. Here are the answers to your questions:

Under the RAW:
1) No
2) No

Under my assumption of the intent of the rules:
1) No
2) Yes
How many non-trip tricks does a riding dog with trip have? The LGCS says:

Depending on the reading of the second "extra", this could mean that the riding dog has two extra tricks on top of attack - these two tricks can be spent to buy the trip ability (leaving the dog with only Attack + Trip), or that the dog has trip by default and if you decide not to choose it you gain "two extra tricks" on top of the extra tricks for intelligence.

Either way I would clarify the wording in the next LGCS - in the first interpretation perhaps say "you may either pick *these* two extra tricks or...", for the second use a word other than extra ("you may either pick two tricks in addition to the extra tricks gained for intelligence").

AW.

I do not know what the intent was here. I will seek clarification.

I believe the intent would be that you could not cast the spell, in any manner, though it might just be that you cannot prepare the spell or choose it as a spell when you level. I recommend not casting the spell until third level, although purchasing the scroll now is permissible, as is scribing it into your spellbook. This will be clarified in the next LGCS.
And, another reminder:

1) Do NOT answer questions unless you are Circle!
2) Do NOT discuss these questions in this list!
3) ONLY ask questions related to LG specifically, not the Greyhawk campaign world or D&D generally!
After a regional adventure, you can spend TUs to earn money with a Craft check, Profession check, Perform/Tumble check, or Sleight of Hand check. Can you spend 1 TU per catagory after the adventure, or only 1 total per adventure? (not including the extra TU you can spend with a high enough Perform check).
After a regional adventure, you can spend TUs to earn money with a Craft check, Profession check, Perform/Tumble check, or Sleight of Hand check. Can you spend 1 TU per catagory after the adventure, or only 1 total per adventure? (not including the extra TU you can spend with a high enough Perform check).

You can only pick one of the categories in which to spend 1 TU. In other words, you can only spend 1 TU, unless your check indicates that you can spend more. This will be clarified in the next LGCS.
Around what time will the LGCS come out? I only recently joined the campaign (March 2006) and I'm not sure when to expect the Campaign Sourcebook next year.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
The LGCS will be updated before DDXP. It will be posted for public review before then. I do not have hard dates for you right now.
What are the rules for calculating the APL when dealing with one characters animals if they have different CRs?

Does the module boilerplate apply or does the differing rules in the LGCS apply?

To whit: A CR 3 and a CR 4 animal are brought into an adventure by a character. Is the adjustment +7 (all mod boilerplates I've seen) or is it +6 (LGCS for the past few years)? I would prefer it to be the later, especially considering that 2 CR 4 animals would be a +6 adjustment and don't figure that a lesser pair should have a higher adjustment, but I don't know which is supposed to take precidence.

-James
How does one handle recording of an upgrade to an item on one's MIL?

How is it handled on subsequent MILs?

If a favor lets one expend it for adventure access to an item what does one record as the 'found AR#' for it? I would assume the AR # that lists the favor rather than the one where the favor was used, but is that formally correct?

Thanks,

-James
What happens when a new book completely rewrites an existing feat?

For example, PHB2 has a feat called Sacred Healing which is totally different from the Complete Divine feat of the same name.

Does a PC with that feat have to keep the feat?

Does he start using the new version of the feat as soon as the new book is published? Or does he wait for a Dispel Confusion or new LGCS, and use the old version until then? Or can he ignore the new version and continue using the old version and just treat them as two different feats with the same name?

(Note: I have no character with this feat, but it seems like a puzzling situation.)

Steve
Does the module boilerplate apply or does the differing rules in the LGCS apply?
considering that 2 CR 4 animals would be a +6 adjustment and don't figure that a lesser pair should have a higher adjustment

I just checked my latest LGCS, my LGCS draft document, recent COR and IUZ mods, and my boilerplate info, and all of them have the same chart; I'm not seeing the inconsistency you mention.

As for the mixed pair being a higher adjustment than two of the same, higher CR, that seems odd and I'll look into it.
How does one handle recording of an upgrade to an item on one's MIL?

How is it handled on subsequent MILs?

If a favor lets one expend it for adventure access to an item what does one record as the 'found AR#' for it? I would assume the AR # that lists the favor rather than the one where the favor was used, but is that formally correct?

1 & 2) This is not really important, but what I would do is record the upgrade in the items bought portion of the AR. Then, on the MIL, record the item as lost on said AR, and enter a new item gained on that same AR. As long as the paper trail is sufficient to withstand an audit, the details are not important.

3) Again, this is mainly for paper trail purposes. I usually listed both AR numbers on the MIL. You could also note the Favor AR on the Purchase AR, then reference the Purchase AR on the MIL, or vice versa. As long as a judge could find all the relevant information, that's all that matters.
What happens when a new book completely rewrites an existing feat?...Does a PC with that feat have to keep the feat?...

Does he start using the new version of the feat as soon as the new book is published? Or does he wait for a Dispel Confusion or new LGCS, and use the old version until then? Or can he ignore the new version and continue using the old version and just treat them as two different feats with the same name?

1) Things like this would have to be handled on a case-by-case basis. We will look into the Sacred Healing feat when we examine P2.

2) For the cases of a new book, you would continue to use the old feat until the Circle addresses the new book in a Dispel Confusion or the LGCS. This is a rare issue, though, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Thanks for making this thread Britt. Im sorry for doing this. I have a few questions about spell storing...

Spell Storing Weapons:

Can casters combine their spells with metamagic feats for storage? How does this interact with the maximum spell level of 3 for spell storing weapon?

Touch Spells: Do I have to roll a seperate touch attack? For the spell to go off I had to successfully hit them in the first place, so am I already touching?

Criticals: If I crit during my regular attack and choose for a touch spell to go off, does that spell crit as well? Is the crit modifier based on the crit multiplier of the weapon (x2 x3 x4)

Vampiric Touch: Do I gain the temporary hit points or does the weapon?

Cure Spells: Can I cast cure serious wounds into the weapon then attack a friend to heal them with the CSW spell from the weapon? If I heal them for more than the damage dealt was this still an evil act?

False Life: Can I cast false life into the weapon and attack someone with it to have them gain the false life effect?

Charm Person: allows targeted spells, but since the "weapon" is the caster how would you resolve the spell charm person? Would that person be charmed to the sword, the sword wielder, or original caster?

Can I give a weapon spell storing twice, to store 2 spells? If so can I choose which spell triggers or would both/none?

DC: What sets the DC of the spell effect when the spell comes out of a spell storing weapon? Spell Storing lists that the weapon is the caster. Do we then look at the Caster Level of the weapon to provide us with the DC? Or is the DC set by the original caster?

What is the timing breakdown of a Spellstoring weapon going off. Timing:
#1 Do I roll damage before choosing whether or not to cast the spell from storage?
#2 Do I get to see if the creature died/goes unconscious from original attack if his HP goes below 0
#3 If I roll under 50 damage can I choose the spell to go off, and will that help push it over 50 damage (Forcing Massive Damage Check) or will it be considered a separate attack?
#4 If I reach 50 damage, can I choose for the spell to go off and will they save vs the spell BEFORE making their save for massive damage?

If for some reason anyone wants to see an ongoing discussion of spell storing - http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=713462
Budleiser: Those are all general D&D rules and not something within our demesne.
Budleiser: Those are all general D&D rules and not something within our demesne.

Sorry about that.

PS. Shouldn't this thread be in the subforum Living Greyhawk Rules?
There seems to be year 5, and maybe year 6 ARs that grant access to any limited spell/feat/PrC. My understanding is that those ARs need to be errata'd. Is that true?
Year 5 ARs will be gone within a week, so those aren't a concern. If you know of year 6 ARs that grant access to "Any Limited XXXX", please contact me offlist. These need to have errata, with the change to no Limited list.
Britt,

If a character has recieved the disfavor of an NPC, or group, is there any way to remove the disfavor?

Also, can a character continue playing in the Bright Sands series with the disfavor of Lady Karistyne?

Thanks,

Ty
I just checked my latest LGCS, my LGCS draft document, recent COR and IUZ mods, and my boilerplate info, and all of them have the same chart; I'm not seeing the inconsistency you mention.

As for the mixed pair being a higher adjustment than two of the same, higher CR, that seems odd and I'll look into it.

In the LGCS it says that if you bring in 2 animals with a different CR you take the higher adjustment and add 2 for the total adjustment. So a CR 3 animal and CR 4 animal brought into a mod by a player would be a +6 adjustment (2 higher than the +4 adjustment for a CR 4 creature).

The boilerplates that I have read (SHE, COR, etc) say that animals with different CRs are added separately. Thus a CR 3 and CR 4 set of animals would add a +7 adjustment (3 for the CR 3 creature + 4 for the CR 4 creature).

The problem with the later is that a pair of CR 4 animals would add a +6 adjustment (as it's based upon EL math).

Towards this inconsistancy I believe Tulach altered the LGCS about 2 or so years back to it's present state. However I don't believe boilerplates were ever changed to reflect that.

It's not earth shattering but it's annoying from a logic standpoint for it to be as the boilerplates rather than the LGCS. Furthermore there's the issue of which is correct and takes precidence.

-James
James,

Did you read Britt's rules for this thread in the original post? Fundamentally: if you're not a Circle member, don't answer questions in this thread.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
New rule: no self-policing. If you think someone is breaking the thread rules, let them know politely off-list rather than in this thread. And be sure to be nice, they might not think they were breaking the rules.

In James's case, he was just clarifying his earlier question. James, I'll see what I can do to fix and/or simplify this.
New rule: no self-policing. If you think someone is breaking the thread rules, let them know politely off-list rather than in this thread. And be sure to be nice, they might not think they were breaking the rules.

My apologies; it was late.

I'll shush now.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Britt - many thanks for your effort at rules clarifications. Even if we don't get quick answers, it's good to know your are making an effort.

Okay Grappling.

Question #1

Is a grapple check an attack, a skill check, an ability check or something unto itself?

Question #2

Does anything else affect a grapple check?
(Other than, BAB + Str bonus + size modifier + Improved grapple feat)
i.e. if the PC is sickened, cursed, shaken, magic fanged, hasted, Etc.

Question #3

A 15th level monk with TWF/ITWF/GTWF/Flurry/Gr. Flurry/Boots of Speed would have 9 attacks per round.

Assuming the monk is already in a grapple, on the PC’s turn how many “opposed grapple checks” for damage can she use?

Question #4

When a PC has an opponent pinned….

IF the defender can cast spells as a free action (like a beholder) can the defender still cast those spell with out any check? And cast them at anyone?

IF the defender can use spell like abilities at will (like Balor’s Gr. Teleport)
Can the defender still use that ability at will without a check?

On table 8-6, on p.151 of the PHB, a pinned defender takes - 4 to AC and Dex = 0 (-5 modifier) So most NPC's would suffer at least a - 9 AC penalty when pinned, right?

Question #5

If a monk uses a gauntlet during a flurry of blows, does she do her normal unarmed damage + the magical enhancements on the gauntlet?

While grappling with the gauntlet does she do only her normal unarmed damage or unarmed damage + the magical enhancements from the gauntlet?
On metaorgs:

1) If I am a member of two metaorgs, and they each give circumstance bonuses to the same skill, do they stack? The rules on stacking simply say 'circumstance bonuses stack if from different sources.' Do we count the arcanists' guild and the church as different sources?

2) Let's say I'm at the 3rd rank of a metaorg. Rank 1 requires yearly 100gp/1TU, rank 2 requires yearly 200gp/2TU, rank 3 requires yearly 300gp/3TUs. Are my yearly gp/TU costs 300/3 or 600/6? (Do I pay the yearly requirements for all ranks up to the one I'm at?)

Thanks
Halworth: Those are all general D&D rules questions, not specific to LG. I will look over them again when working on the next DC to see if there anything I can clarify using existing rules, but no promises.

Yod: 1) For now, that will be up to your DM and based upon the MOs in question and why they give bonuses. If you get a bonus on Kn(nature) from one org because you live there all the time, and from another org because you have a book about exactly that, they should stack. I'll ask about clarifying it, though.

2) This really depends on the region and how they design their MOs. I know for BK and IUZ orgs, it would be 300/3 per year, not the sum of all of them.
Regarding the basic LGCS access to +1 weapon upgrades:

"You may upgrade any standard masterwork weapon (ammunition in groups of 50), armor, or shield into a +1 version of that item. Purchase these by paying the difference between the masterwork market value and the +1 market value. You may only upgrade an item to +1 if the resulting item is still considered a standard item by the MIC rules . See Chapter Seven: Magic Item Creation for more on how to determine if an item is considered standard." (LGCS p. 17)

I'm having trouble understanding how the MIC standard item rules apply in this context. What would be an example of a counterexample (an item that could not be upgraded to +1 because it was non-standard)?

What does standard mean here? Are all special material types upgradable under this rule (mithral, adamantine, silver, cold iron, dark wood, thinaun, star metal, etc.)? If not, which ones are upgradable and which ones are not?

Thanks.

David
Another magic item crafting question:

Suppose a bard takes the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, and wants to upgrade his +1 chain shirt to a +1 chain shirt of Fire Resistance. Since this is a +18,000 gp enhancement, this requires 9,000 gp in materials, 18 days ... and the ability to cast "Resist Energy". Oops, that's not on the Bard spell list. But wait! If his UMD is pretty decent, he can cast this from scrolls. LGCS says that scrolls are allowed in lieu of casting from your spell list, as long as you use one for each day of the creation process.

Question time:

1) If his UMD is high enough to cast this from scrolls with 100% probability of success on the UMD roll, can he craft this armor?

2) Suppose his UMD only gives him 90% chance of success per scroll. What happens now? Crafting this takes 18 days, i.e. 18 successful castings from scrolls. Does the table DM watch him make 18 UMD rolls?

3) If he fails a UMD roll, he can try again. Except if he fails with a "1", UMD says you can't try again on the same item for 24 hours, so presumably the crafting attempt has been ruined. (Or can he try his UMD again on a different scroll of the same spell?) If he failed on the 11th roll, did he spend 11 days of materials costs? (5500gp) 18 days? (9,000 gp) Or does he just return the materials back to the supplier, for a net 0 gp materials costs? Does he use 11 scrolls? 18 scrolls? 11 scrolls and sell the remaining 7 back at 1/2 price?

4) Could he use spells from a wand instead of from a scroll? LGCS only says "scroll", but logistically it seems that if you could use a scroll then you could use a wand too.
Clarification of my question:

The weapon in question said it was simply a +2 Adamantine Longsword. The favor of getting the weapon also said that a certain group would increase it to Holy at half price. I don't think that's a part of the actual sword. The only other thing it says under the swords description is that it can be used as a holy symbol of Heironeous for purposes of a divine focus because of the design of the sword. Is that enough to make it a non-standard item in LG?