Beast Question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so heres a rules/logic question. Okay so if an animal was given sentience, such as being an arcane hierophant's companion familiar or a paladin's special mount, can it be give the ability to speak, like spending skill points on a language, or is it impossible? Cheesy, possibly if it will work..
Okay, so heres a rules/logic question. Okay so if an animal was given sentience, such as being an arcane hierophant's companion familiar or a paladin's special mount, can it be give the ability to speak, like spending skill points on a language, or is it impossible? Cheesy, possibly if it will work..

I would rule you could teach it a language that it could understand, but it's ability to articulate words and speak it is a bit difficult. (sort of like how you can communicate telepathically with familiars about complex concepts)

it is somewhere in the section on familiars in the PHB and maybe the MM as well that ravens are the only animals able to articulate (i would grant this to parotts as well, i think there was a certain module that gave one as a special familiar).

ciao

martin m.
Well I have a raven familiar. Ravens have ranks equal to all the ranks I've got in my skills. I have one rank of speak language, there for my raven has one rank of speak language. No DM has ruled against my raven speaking 3 languages (sylvan, elven and the secret sorcerer/familiar language.)

Of course, it's never really come up. At best she flies around and bothers other people for a minute or two and then flies off. Plus she can breath fire and seems to have joined some sort of secret organization or something.

My familiar is awesome.
Most animals lack the proper parts (see vocal chords) to speak. The a raven familiar is the exception. Giving an intelligent animals ranks in speak language would allow it to understand the language but not speak it in return.
The Speak Language skill is an exception to the general rules for skills. You do not have actual ranks in Speak Language. So it's debatable whether or not you can share your languages with your familiar.
Sign In to post comments