DCI number not required for Living Forgotten Realms play?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
From WotC customer support about how to get DCI/RPGA numbers for new players for Liiving Forgotten Realms play (considering there are no stores on the Hawaiian island of Maui doing public RPGA play):

James,

Thank you for your interest in the Wizards Play Network! For the last few years, D&D play has been able to be scheduled under 2 categories - home (or private) play and public play. With the change in focus to public play, and specifically Wizards Play Network (WPN) play, we have decided to retire the home play category effective January 2011. Home DMs and players don’t need to worry about scheduling and reporting their play through a store-based program like the Wizards Play Network.

For most D&D games, this will have minimal to no impact. We've already transitioned our DM and player rewards to our program kits available for D&D Game Days, D&D Encounters, and (coming soon) our WPN Gateway kits. For Living Forgotten Realms, we are in the process of making many of the previously released adventures accessible to the public at large through the Living Forgotten Realms Community Group (community.wizards.com/lfr), and moving forward, that group will be the portal by which players will access new adventure content managed by the community.

If you are interested in organizing Magic events we encourage you to contact your local gaming store and partner with them to start running events. Please review the following link for more details: www.wizards.com/WPN/WhyJoin.aspx#Overvie...

Please let us know if you need any more help!

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.
We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you by asking you to fill out a short questionnaire. You can find it here.
It should only take about 4 minutes to complete, and will help us improve our service over time.
If you need any other assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Jacob Nourigat
Retail Support Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-564-1636
Monday-Sunday 8am-5pm Pacific / 11am-8pm Eastern

And:

Hi James,

Thanks for emailing back in with your questions. Wizards of the Coast does not currently support any system for Dungeons and Dragon's that require character records. Any event that is supported at a store or con officially by Wizards of the Coast typically has character creation rules and that is all. If you are interested in running a consistent world that require character record keeping I would suggest checking out the Living Forgotten Realms at www.livingforgottenrealms.com. While we do not officially support it they do have many of the elements you seem interested in, use the Dungeons and Dragons System, and have consistent characters.

Take care and good gaming!

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.
We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you by asking you to fill out a short questionnaire. You can find it here.
It should only take about 4 minutes to complete, and will help us improve our service over time.
If you need any other assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Jacob
Retail Support Representative
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-564-1636
Monday-Sunday 8am-5pm Pacific / 11am-8pm Eastern

So yeah? No numbers for any Living Realms play?

is this true?

So yeah? No numbers for any Living Realms play?

is this true?

It's been generally true for a couple of years now, actually.

I've still seen them ask for DCI / RPGA numbers at the very biggest conventions (GenCon and Origins), but I'm not sure to what extent that information is entered into the DCI system. 

Outside of those big cons, there's no general event reporting system for LFR play anymore, and you don't need a DCI / RPGA number, either to order adventures, or to play.  With the exception of Battle Interactives*, all LFR adventures are downloadable from livingforgottenrealms.com, or from an "Adventure Archive" file which is still on the WotC website, but which is linked to on livingforgottenrealms.com.

So, if you want to run LFR games for your local players, just download the adventures from livingforgottenrealms.com, and run them.  There's no need to report play (and, in fact, there's no system to do it anymore, as I understand it).

BTW, my apologies for not replying to this sooner -- this board is an old, "legacy" board from the days before WotC reformatted their message boards (about 3 years ago), and created a separate "group", and set of forums, for LFR.  The new forums are adminstered by the LFR campaign staff, and see a whole lot more traffic than this board -- I'm the VCL for what used to be the RPGA, and so, I still stick my head in here every few days, just to see if someone's wandered in here accidentally.  The new forums are located here:
community.wizards.com/lfr/go/forum/viewb...

Note that you will likely need to apply to be a member of that group to post on those forums.

Hope this helps!

*- Battle Interactives are only allowed for play at events which are big enough to support multiple simultaneous tables (i.e., conventions and large game days), and so, in order to "order" a BI, you need to directly contact the LFR campaign staff.

"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"