My Realms Adventures Questions

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think it would be helpful to start up a one-stop thread to fill in all the gaps in the new My Realms Adventure (which, given the nature of the beast, I think was done quite well).

1) Are monsters from MM2 and Dragon Magazine legal?

2) Are we stuck with the "pick whatever you feel like" bundles, or can we come up with options that stay within the rules?

3) Do we have to keep our adventures in one of the standard LFR regions, or are we free to set them wherever (like, for example, Returned Aebir?)

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer these queries. I'm assuming more will come up along the way.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I think it would be helpful to start up a one-stop thread to fill in all the gaps in the new My Realms Adventure (which, given the nature of the beast, I think was done quite well).

1) Are monsters from MM2 and Dragon Magazine legal?

They're legal for "normal" authors, so i don't know why they wouldn't be. Dragon monsters have already shown up in LFR adventures.

2) Are we stuck with the "pick whatever you feel like" bundles, or can we come up with options that stay within the rules?

The MYRE mods give three possible bundles. They do not allow for making your own bundles.

"In addition, at the end of the adventure, the PCs have access to take what the Living Forgotten Realms campaign calls a “treasure bundle.” For this adventure, the treasure bundles include one of the following:"

And then it lists the three bundles. (more gp, potion & xp, or item of your level or less from any PHB)

3) Do we have to keep our adventures in one of the standard LFR regions, or are we free to set them wherever (like, for example, Returned Aebir?)

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer these queries. I'm assuming more will come up along the way.

The mod's instructions give no restriction on where in the Realms you can set your adventure. They just say that it's best to avoid existing NPCs or plots to avoid story conflicts.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
i am keen to find out about if PC's can play my realms modules more than once

DOH found my own answer http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=18728694&postcount=3

Chris
This came to mind. Could a GM download the My Realms packet and say write 5 or 6 or more modules with it in the 1-4 level band? That way he can keep a story line/plot arc going with the same characters for a longer period of time?
Yes. Just be sure to create 5 or 6 different events, and then report all 5 or 6 games.
Yes. Just be sure to create 5 or 6 different events, and then report all 5 or 6 games.

Hmmm it almost has me interested in LFR again. Problem being finding a GM to write and run the darn things lol
Hmmm it almost has me interested in LFR again. Problem being finding a GM to write and run the darn things lol

Looked in the mirror lately? ;)
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Looked in the mirror lately? ;)

I already organize and run a majority of the LFR in my area. I am looking for something to entice me to play more. And this just might do it if I find someone to do it.

And I have not downloaded the info yet but I assume that it does not allow for Quests and Quest exps?
And I have not downloaded the info yet but I assume that it does not allow for Quests and Quest exps?

Minor quests are a yes, actually. Major quests are a no.
Only minor quest xp, not Major Quests (and their xp).

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
The packet mentions that it's best to avoid areas and NPCs under active development.

Is there a list of "safe" areas that aren't likely to be covered by WotC publications anytime soon?

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
Any of the plot hooks in MYRE1-1 are safe to use. Hard to say otherwise, but ongoing story arcs in LFR adventures would be a problem.

Keith
Is there a list of "safe" areas that aren't likely to be covered by WotC publications anytime soon?

C'mon, Karma, say it...you want to use Ravens Bluff. ;)
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
>.>

<.<

...maaaybe.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
My adventure's going to be set in Returned Aebir. That doesn't seem like it's getting much coverage.

Another question: The mod says that "My Realms adventures should not give major quests awards." Does this include Zhentarim Infiltration tasks?
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
My adventure's going to be set in Returned Aebir. That doesn't seem like it's getting much coverage.

Another question: The mod says that "My Realms adventures should not give major quests awards." Does this include Zhentarim Infiltration tasks?

That's a good question...
That's a good question...

Major quest awards refer only to XP. If you wanted to have one of the tasks completed from the Zhentarim Infiltration card in your adventure, that would be fine.
Chris Tulach D&D Program Manager Wizards of the Coast http://community.wizards.com/wotc_tulach http://twitter.com/christulach
From one Chris to another, thanks for coming around and answering these questions!

Now to figure out which task to put into my mod...and where to put it...This keeps getting better and better...
From one Chris to another, thanks for coming around and answering these questions!

Now to figure out which task to put into my mod...and where to put it...This keeps getting better and better...

i ran my first My realms last night, and i must say it was fun. I decided all my my realms that i will run will be "traveling" adventures. meaning that this event happens coming from one region and going to the other.

In the event of last night the players just did Dale1-1 and are planning to play Water 1-1 next weekend, so i made the my realsm take place during the travels from on region to the next. the group was overlooking a caravan (in exchange for free provisions and mounts) that so happens was going to water deep from Dalelands, and in the trail there was an accident in wich one wagon crashed in to the side of a incline, wich ruined the cargo (spare wheels) and also broken one of its own wheels. not to mention the cleric of the caravan was injured and needed magical healing within 24 hours or he would die (being only a dy and a half from watedeep prevented them from going on. so as they were picking up the pieces of thier situation they stumble across an old outpost in the wood that is built on traveling adventurers (sort of a D&D truckstop LOL) and it just so happens that there Cleric of gond (and blacksmith) has gone missiing, they needed to find him to heal thier cleric and repair thier wagon wheel.

it was great.

Only thing i dont like is the generic bundle selection. i would have prefered a bundle list of say 10 items i could use, and then make my own bundles out of them instead of letting players pick out a item frm the phb

but either way it was fun and ill probably be running more of there "caravan en route" form of "crossover" modules later.

BTW was i reading the bundle thing wrng? was i supposed to chose items for them to use as bundle items? could i do that next time? instead of letting them choose from the phb.

Has it been official yet that when they reference phb that they are refering to all core phb's (meaning phb2 as well) i remember something being talked about in this discussion but not sure if it was officially clerified yet.

thanks RPGA for MY realms!!!
Major quest awards refer only to XP. If you wanted to have one of the tasks completed from the Zhentarim Infiltration card in your adventure, that would be fine.

What are the exps for a Minor Quest?

Check out the chart on DMG p. 122 for general information on quest awards. Check out the MYRE1-1 packet for specifics on how much minor quest XP is considered acceptable per PC. They are in line with each other, assuming 5 PCs.
Can you create or change the story awards to have things like

_______ the blacksmith takes one of your weapons and personalizes it Describe or draw here what design he makes on it.

Or In response for saving the nine maidens from their grisly fate _____ of the temple will perform a cure disease ritual on you for cost when you are in Baldur's Gate

Is there any way to limit or expand the treasure bundels through DME or anything. It feels a bit odd to just say um take whatever you want when it might not be related to what the adventure.

Will there be a support for major quests designed by players?

I'd like to have seen the ability to start a major quest

that continues in a 4-7 and ends in a 7-10. If you write all three it would be pretty cool for the players to go through your arc.

How wrong would it be to include something that is the start of a major quest but does of course not give major quest xp, in anticipation that it may eventually be allowed to do so in higher level bands.

Is it possible to submit my realms adventures for LFR consideration at a later point in time? eg I write a series of adventures in a region can they ever become region 1-10

Is it possible to craft a spec 1-1 style experience for con games where you combine 2 My realm adventures back to back, but different of course so they connect and have it be more challenging than a standard adventure (but unfortunately with the same rewards)

_______ the blacksmith takes one of your weapons and personalizes it Describe or draw here what design he makes on it.

Or In response for saving the nine maidens from their grisly fate _____ of the temple will perform a cure disease ritual on you for cost when you are in Baldur's Gate

The guidelines for the MYRE mods list two story awards that can be given out. It has no provision for making up your own.

Is there any way to limit or expand the treasure bundels through DME or anything. It feels a bit odd to just say um take whatever you want when it might not be related to what the adventure.

No, the MYRE lists three treasure bundles that can be given. No others can be given.

Is it possible to craft a spec 1-1 style experience for con games where you combine 2 My realm adventures back to back, but different of course so they connect and have it be more challenging than a standard adventure (but unfortunately with the same rewards)

I don't see why not, as long as it's two seperate mods and they are only run by you (or a coauthor if there is one). You wouldn't be allowed to give it to other DMs to run.

It's 25 xp for a 1-4 mod. If you look at the tables in the MYRE or writer's guideline you'll see it lists 375 xp budget for encounters and 25 for minor quest xp. If you don't do a minor quest, yuo can use that extra xp for encounters keeping the max xp at 400 for the mod. (low tier of course)
I have a question concerning the XP cap. I'm not using a minor quest, so that gives me 2000 XP to work with. What do I do if after designing my encounters, my total come to 2004? Do I:

a. just hack off the extra 4 because it's negligible?

b. take out a monster or convert a combat to a skill challenge so the total is under?
I have another question because I'm in a big dilemma about which direction to take. I think I have a really awesome module idea, one that might have a chance at becoming an offical mod if I tried submitting it. But it's clear that if I try submitting it to one of the regional writer directors and it's rejected, I'm not able to run it as a MyRealms adventure because I've already submitted it. Then on the flipside, if I do run it as MyRealms and my players all think it is great, I'm unable to submit it for consideration.

I'm so lost, because I don't want a potential great idea to fall by the wayside. What should I do?
I have a question concerning the XP cap. I'm not using a minor quest, so that gives me 2000 XP to work with. What do I do if after designing my encounters, my total come to 2004? Do I:

a. just hack off the extra 4 because it's negligible?

b. take out a monster or convert a combat to a skill challenge so the total is under?

I recommend A.

Keith
I have another question because I'm in a big dilemma about which direction to take. I think I have a really awesome module idea, one that might have a chance at becoming an offical mod if I tried submitting it. But it's clear that if I try submitting it to one of the regional writer directors and it's rejected, I'm not able to run it as a MyRealms adventure because I've already submitted it. Then on the flipside, if I do run it as MyRealms and my players all think it is great, I'm unable to submit it for consideration.

I'm so lost, because I don't want a potential great idea to fall by the wayside. What should I do?

If you think you have a great plot idea for an adventure, then go ahead and submit it. As Shawn Merwin has stated elsewhere, I do not recommend writing the entire adventure as it is quite possible that, even if accepted, the Writing Director (or Global Admin, or WotC) will make changes. That would mean you might have invested a lot of time writing which would be wasted. If the plot proposal is accepted and written as an adventure, the adventure becomes a standard LFR adventure and you surrender rights to it in exchange for payment in a formal contract.

If the plot idea is not accepted, then there is no restriction about you writing and DMing it as a MyRealms adventure.

Keith
Yeah if only they didn't ask you to write half the adventure when making an application any way if you have not done so before.
If you think you have a great plot idea for an adventure, then go ahead and submit it. As Shawn Merwin has stated elsewhere, I do not recommend writing the entire adventure as it is quite possible that, even if accepted, the Writing Director (or Global Admin, or WotC) will make changes. That would mean you might have invested a lot of time writing which would be wasted. If the plot proposal is accepted and written as an adventure, the adventure becomes a standard LFR adventure and you surrender rights to it in exchange for payment in a formal contract.

If the plot idea is not accepted, then there is no restriction about you writing and DMing it as a MyRealms adventure.

Keith

Thank you so much!! That's what I was hoping someone would say, that if the idea wasn't accepted that I could still use it for MyRealms.
I've made a few tweaks to the adventure packet, which should address most of the questions here. You can re-download it if you've ordered a My Realms adventure; there's nothing major, just clarifying what's already been answered.

I've also added form-filling functionality to the story award certificate so the DM can type out info on the awards they're handing out to the characters.
Chris Tulach D&D Program Manager Wizards of the Coast http://community.wizards.com/wotc_tulach http://twitter.com/christulach
Yeah if only they didn't ask you to write half the adventure when making an application any way if you have not done so before.

I have never asked an author to half-write his adventure.
What I ask is for a brief summary - which, when accepted, is then written out to a full summary (and adapted where necessary) for R&D.
Only whne R&D accepts it, I give green light to write - you *could* start writing earlier, but if R&D demends significant changes you might have written stuff for nothing.
I do ask people to write out a sample encounter, though not everyone does - I occasionally base judgement on an author's qualities base don previous work.

Note that I do have a major plotline going, and if a summary is submitted, I may ask for changes to fit that plotline - which can vary from minior tweaks to location, adding in/changing NPCs, or turning around plot focus. I also selected a few authors to write an advenure that I already had planned, which was similar in some ways (theme, goal, or type of adversaries) to a summary they submitted.

If you submit, do consider where an adventure woudl run best. A city adventure fits best in Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, and an adventure featuring drow fits best in East Rift, the Dalelands, or Luruar.

Gomez
Note: I am no one official. Just my opinions!

No. But, keep in mind the given story awards are basically the same as most mod story awards. The impact is generally up to the DM. The downside of this system is that they tend to be forgotten. DMs seldom remember to say "Hey, that one award from adventure xyz might apply here, let me check and see if anyone has it." And players, having tons of awards with little utility, generally forget as well. So, actually, the My Realms award end up being stronger if the author-DM writes several linked My Realms mods because they actually will remember and use them.

Nope. Hey, at least we get treasure!

How wrong would it be to include something that is the start of a major quest but does of course not give major quest xp, in anticipation that it may eventually be allowed to do so in higher level bands.

You lose nothing by trying. Just avoid using the words "start of a major quest". Instead, let them know that you plan on this being part one of a series. If they have all the awards for the series, they would complete the series. If and when LFR lets you provide major quests, then they would earn it.

Is it possible to submit my realms adventures for LFR consideration at a later point in time? eg I write a series of adventures in a region can they ever become region 1-10

I would think so. If I were an admin, seeing a My Realms adventure that you already 'playtested' with a table would make it that much closer to a finished mod and thus easier to review and accept. Or, could become the basis for a similar idea involving some of the pieces.

If you avoid official language and breaking any rules pertaining to making an individual My Realms adventure. There is no reason you can't say this is part one of a story and the next one is part two. Just don't call them a two-round mod. You would need to keep XP at the normal levels in each adventure, not rob from one to add to the other. There are now enough monsters and other encounter options so as to allow for fairly challenging encounters even with LFR experience budgets. And, keep in mind that 'challenging' is something to work with carefully. For true LFR authors, 'challenging' gets a number of playtests and is adjusted based on those results. Though, as DM and author running what is essentially a one-shot, you can easily fine-tune on the go ("Hmmm... I think this soldier's AC will now magically drop by 2 points...").

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I've made a few tweaks to the adventure packet, which should address most of the questions here. You can re-download it if you've ordered a My Realms adventure; there's nothing major, just clarifying what's already been answered.

I appreciate the clarifications, but I'm a little perplexed as to the decision concerning rewards:
For this adventure, the treasure bundles include one of the following:
• Any magic item from the Player’s Handbook series (Player’s Handbook, Player’s Handbook 2, etc.) of the PC’s level or lower.
[...]
Note that the player makes the determination on the magic item selected for the first treasure bundle, not the DM.

That's a bit of an odd choice, that the DM has complete control over every aspect of the adventure, but at the end of it, he better have some sort of "Thank you; here, have any magic item you want" conclusion if he wants the rewards to make sense. If he'd prefer to offer specific items found in the module instead, he's out of luck.

Having "any PH magic item of the PC's level" be the maximum award makes sense; having it be the required award makes less.

As another minor quibble, I'm not a fan of rewards tied to the PC's level. I prefer the rewards such as "Any magical weapon of Xth level or below" which we're starting to see show up, since that's a fixed level tied to the adventure's challenge.

A better option would be "Any PH magic item no greater than 2nd level (at low-tier) or 4th level (at high-tier)", though I suppose there is some value in proceeding cautiously with a first release like this.

And, while a system like this is inherently based on people not taking advantage of it, some protection against imbalanced xp/gold ratios would not be a bad thing. It's assumed that the DM will want to use the full XP budget, but not required--a DM could, for example, create a one-encounter adventure that yielded only 100 xp, but the full 100 (+75) gp reward.

The gold amount at this tier is largely trivial unless taken to extremes ("You succeed in returning with the pie; the orc had already left before you got there, so the only XP you get is the 25 xp minor quest reward. However, she gives you 175 gp to thank you for your efforts. Okay, that took five minutes, everyone fill out their logsheets. Ready for the next shopping trip?"), but guarding against this before we hit the higher level bands isn't a bad idea.

I don't think its use in a single running of My Realms would make it unappealing to an admin. It might make your proposal more appealing, since it is pretty fleshed out and has essentially been playtested. Just be aware you may be asked to hack it in many ways to meet their needs.

Also, many regions are still backlogged with authors that want to write mods. My Realms gives you experience now and then once you find an opening you can use those ideas (and you might have new ones by then).

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

As another minor quibble, I'm not a fan of rewards tied to the PC's level. I prefer the rewards such as "Any magical weapon of Xth level or below" which we're starting to see show up, since that's a fixed level tied to the adventure's challenge.

And, while a system like this is inherently based on people not taking advantage of it, some protection against imbalanced xp/gold ratios would not be a bad thing. It's assumed that the DM will want to use the full XP budget, but not required--a DM could, for example, create a one-encounter adventure that yielded only 100 xp, but the full 100 (+75) gp reward.

Astute observations. The latter is unlikely to happen much, but it is better to not have that come up, especially at higher levels.

I would think so. If I were an admin, seeing a My Realms adventure that you already 'playtested' with a table would make it that much closer to a finished mod and thus easier to review and accept. Or, could become the basis for a similar idea involving some of the pieces.

Yes, the last sentence in your statement is key. It is highly likely that if accepted you would end up havign to make changes to it. Some global admins have already mentioned that havign a fully written mod when you submit isn't a good idea as it's rare that changes aren't needed.

Although if you don't mind rewriting it for the required changes, then go for it.
Astute observations. The latter is unlikely to happen much, but it is better to not have that come up, especially at higher levels.

Perhaps for when MYRE1-2 and beyond come out they also need to stipulate a minimum xp budget requirement.
Blah blah blah
First: I just want to say thank you to you LFR higher ups for releasing the My Realms Adventures stuff. It's beyond the traditional scope of RPGA stuff, and there will be complaints about it (i.e. "omg this guy did stupid things x, y, and z in his MYRE 1-1 mod) but I think it's going to be an overall positive thing especially for the more experienced LFR players (and this makes me actually debate making a new 1st level character if it means not replaying the same adventures again).

Second: regarding the bundle choice of item of lvl x or lower: a great many people were asking for more rewards like this (myself included)- so to those who disagree with it, realize that the LFR people are getting a lot of requests for that type of thing. It also makes a LOT of sense with the way the enchant magic item ritual works in 4e. (The people giving you a reward offer to pay a wizard/cleric/bard/random hobo with ritual caster to enchant an item for you.)

Third, and my actual question: are there discussions on allowing My Realms Adventures for 4-7s? Or are the admins and such waiting to see how the 1-4 version pans out first?
I have never asked an author to half-write his adventure.
What I ask is for a brief summary - which, when accepted, is then written out to a full summary (and adapted where necessary) for R&D.
Only when R&D accepts it, I give green light to write - you *could* start writing earlier, but if R&D demends significant changes you might have written stuff for nothing.
I do ask people to write out a sample encounter, though not everyone does - I occasionally base judgement on an author's qualities base don previous work.

For a different region I was asked to write:

Audition Package Excerpt
1. After following the ‘General Guidelines’ above, you need to use the relevant templates (see below) to do the following:
a. Write an Adventure Background, Player’s Introduction and a DM’s Introduction in the same format as shown in the template provided. These sections should be no longer than 2-4 paragraphs.
b. Decide on a Combat Challenge and a Skill Challenge Encounter (they need not be linked), and write both using the adventure templates provided, and including maps for at least the Combat Challenge. Submissions without maps will not be considered.
c. Maps should be able to be constructed from Dungeon Tiles regardless of the format in which they are submitted. An ability to construct maps using http://www.jailoco.net/jai.hordelings/dungeontilesmapper.htm would be ideal, but is not essential. Photographs (in .jpeg format) of maps constructed from Dungeon Tiles are also highly acceptable.
d. Encounters should be less than 2 pages in length (not including maps, or stat blocks, which have pages of their own

As you can see I was being generous in saying "half" the module. The "General Guidelines" mentioned include the standard adventure application process - which in the included document at the time was less than clear.

Considering how easy it is to write an encounter (I can do an encounter in 10-20 minutes depending on how custom the monsters are), how hard it is to write a good skill challenge (see the all the threads on them) and the fact you haven't even gotten a go ahead you might excuse me for being frustrated by the process to the point of being excited by MyRealms for the ability to completely circumvent the application process.

The time needed to prep a MyRealms mod is a couple of hours because I'm the only one who will run it. The time required to prep for the above application kit is significantly greater - and no one has even said yes to the idea at that point!
Yeah, another thanks for putting out My Realms. Good idea. Great idea, actually. I've heard a lot of interest in DMs in exploring that idea, and it's generated a lot of interest in my area in getting players involved in Living Forgotten Realms (as opposed to just regular 4th edition, or perhaps even certain 3.75 games.)

My question is, when can we expect to see level 4-7 and level 7-10 My Realms released, and will the adventures ever allow magical items of more than PC level to be selected? (PROBABLY not on that last, as I think the limit was set to encourage more play of the published adventures).