Open Position: Writing Director Dragoncoast

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
The position as writing director for the Dragoncoast region open soon. If you are interested, send me an application via private mail. Please, do include a gaming resume with the first reaction! The resume should include experience with roleplaying games in general, and writing and editing for similar worldwide campaigns in specific.

The job entails a certain dedication, easy access to internet, and obviously editing skills. The writing director also needs to realize that the position does not entail complete autonomy. Upper management of the campaign and Wizards of the Coast has the full right to step in and ask you to make changes to adventures and plot-lines. In practice it does not happen too often, but you will be working for a commercial company and above all a campaign with a global aim. You must also be able to work within sometimes tight deadlines. There is no regional requirement (although we do try to get people from the region so it is a plus point). You cannot have a position in another organized play campaign.

A small warning in advance: if you make the first cut you are expected to fill in an official application form, including the writing of example encounters and editing example texts to check editing skills. A simple mail that you are interested is not going to be enough to get the position ;)

The deadline for first reactions is 12 June, at which point you get informed whether or not you made the first cut and wheter or not we want you to fill in an official application form.

Pieter Sleijpen
RPGA LFR Global Administrator
Maybe everyone, like me, would be killed by their love ones if they landed the position?

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

C'mon, take one for the team, you know you want to!
Pieter,

Just to be clear do you want first responses via PM on the forum or e-mail?

Also what should aspiring Dragon Coast writers be doing at the moment with regards to their potential applications to be writers?
Both work. I prefer mail, but since the global's don't have their addresses posted on the web, I can imagine that might be a tad difficult. Just include your E-mail address if you do react via pm.

I wouldn't worry too much about one getting in the way of the other yet. Besides, you shouldn't be writing multiple adventures for the same quarter anyway unless all involved writing directors have given the go-ahead. Once picked, you should be able to finish any approved writing projects which you cannot divert and you are allowed to write LFR adventures as a writing director anyway (although we do have a loose maximum of 1 per year).
Hi Pieter,

Could you say more or point me to some information about what duties this position would entail and what sort of compensation it provides? Thanks very much!
...and you are allowed to write LFR adventures as a writing director anyway (although we do have a loose maximum of 1 per year).

A 'loose' maximum? Hmmm.

(jk)
Hi Pieter,

Could you say more or point me to some information about what duties this position would entail and what sort of compensation it provides? Thanks very much!

I'm not Pieter, but I can answer this one: the duties entail slavishly working on ten things at once while overseeing some sort of plot for your region, and being at Tulach's beck and call. You compensation is a swift kickin the rear when you aren't getting your 100 things done on time and lots of complaining from the player base.

Have fun.

(ok, not really, but it seems like that... and i was never an admin, just a helper!)
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Let me rephrase Dragon9 a bit:

As a writing Dircetor, you are in charge of the plotlines in your region - developoign them, and seeing them come to fruition.
Plotlines may be one adventure long, several adventures (an arc), or span years. You develop them with your fellow admins, select authors, keep tabs on deadlines, and edit the returnign adventures (which can be a harrowing but rewarding task).
Yes, sometimes you will find a dissapointment and something gets cut or changed, often for good reasons, but you'll also get to publish great adventures, and occasionally one of your wilder ideas gets accepted.
You get to work with a lot of creative people - authors, R&D, and other WD's.
And you get a tressym. Ok, maybe you don't. But you can just imagine we do, because we are just that cool :D

I am a WD with a pretty good idea on where I want to go - I probably am a pain to Chris, Pieter, and my fellow admins for pushing them - but you don't have to be a control freak like I am. A good eye for detail, editing skills, and punctuality (meeting deadlines etc) are enough.

Dalelands also works with Dragoncoast on some arcs (so yes, you may work with me on occasion, or ask for help), and I know that with current arcs coming to a close this year, there will soon be new opportunities where a WD can get their creative juices flowing.

Plus, with Westgate, Nathlek, and the Giantspur mountains, who *wouldn't* want to be the Dragoncoast WD? Only the Dalelands are cooler ;)

Gomez
I wouldn't worry too much about one getting in the way of the other yet. Besides, you shouldn't be writing multiple adventures for the same quarter anyway unless all involved writing directors have given the go-ahead. Once picked, you should be able to finish any approved writing projects which you cannot divert and you are allowed to write LFR adventures as a writing director anyway (although we do have a loose maximum of 1 per year).

I think you missed what I was asking.

If you want to make an application to write for Dragoncoast, what should you do? (Especially if you are not wanting to be writing director ;))

Plus, with Westgate, Nathlek, and the Giantspur mountains, who *wouldn't* want to be the Dragoncoast WD? Only the Dalelands are cooler ;)

Oh there are other cool things...

Dragoncoast can have Ninja's and Pirates!
Dragoncoast can have Ninja's and Pirates!

Which requires me to point one to:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html
If you want to make an application to write for Dragoncoast, what should you do? (Especially if you are not wanting to be writing director ;))

That would be up to the individual writing director. I have no say in that. So: contact the PoC of the Dragoncoast and see what he has to say ;)
The Point of Contact for the Dragon Coast is Bruce Paris. If you want to write for the region but do not have his email address, PM me and I will forward your details onto him.

Joe - neither the PoC or WD...I'm the other guy. ;)
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
That would be up to the individual writing director.

Whose job you are advertising in this case...

I have no say in that. So: contact the PoC of the Dragoncoast and see what he has to say ;)

Now where did I put Bruce's e-mail... I need to mention his recent use of LG writing with regards his real job anyway.
Whose job you are advertising in this case..

Until then, the current WD will take it up.

Gomez
I'm guessing that the initial submissions were already reviewed, but I seem to have this extra pie here... you know... in case you'd like to discuss a certain application.

(in other words, how goes the search?)

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

Mmmm, I see how I have been unclear. The deadline for the reactions is today. You will get a reaction sometime during the weekend (or Monday if I am especially bussy).
Any update to the status of the submissions?
My LFR Modules:
Show
EAST1-3 Unbidden (H3) EAST2-3 Nightmares (P1) NETH3-1 Secrets and Shadows (Paragon Tier) (Author) ELTU3-6 True Blue (Heroic Tier) (Author) EPIC3-3 The Tangled Skein of Destiny (Co-Author) ABER4-3 A Little Rebellion (Paragon Tier) (Author) WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (Heroic Tier) (Co-Author)
Submission closed, and I am sorting through them. I had more serious replies than last time there was a call for writing director. I hope to say more today, but I am not going to make promises.
*waits impatiently to see who gets the job after comming to his senses and not applying*
Do you plan to notify all the applicants of your decision one way or the other? Just curious because we haven't heard anything back yet.
My LFR Modules:
Show
EAST1-3 Unbidden (H3) EAST2-3 Nightmares (P1) NETH3-1 Secrets and Shadows (Paragon Tier) (Author) ELTU3-6 True Blue (Heroic Tier) (Author) EPIC3-3 The Tangled Skein of Destiny (Co-Author) ABER4-3 A Little Rebellion (Paragon Tier) (Author) WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (Heroic Tier) (Co-Author)
Yes, everybody will be notified. The problem is that last week I had an unexpected delay and this week my daytime job is demanding way too much time. A big project goes life on 1 July. Most of you probably know what that means ;)
A big project goes life on 1 July. Most of you probably know what that means ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Don't put Skynet online! You'll kill us all!
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
If Pieter built Skynet that would explain a lot.
If Pieter built Skynet that would explain a lot.

Ok which one of you crazy guys from the Netherlands ran the 4 striker spec 1-2 mod at dndxp, it's been so long I forget the judges name =( all I remember is where he was from now.
Blah blah blah
Ok which one of you crazy guys from the Netherlands ran the 4 striker spec 1-2 mod at dndxp, it's been so long I forget the judges name =( all I remember is where he was from now.

If it was the crazy 4-striker table in the last slot (the one where we had to find a released judge to play to make it go off), I think you had Alan Patrick rather than a Dutchman.
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
If it was the crazy 4-striker table in the last slot (the one where we had to find a released judge to play to make it go off), I think you had Alan Patrick rather than a Dutchman.

That would be the one 10 rogue (me) 9 ranger (my buddy) 8 ranger (released judge) and 7 rogue (some guy, no clue who that was)...
I could have sworn the Judge was Dutch. If not maybe my brain has stopped working since that mod was highly entertaining with 4 strikers. I don't think DNDXP ever showed up on my characters online stuff or I'd check my played history to find out =( I really do like the My Play History tab I just wish it wasn't missing info.
Blah blah blah
That would be the one 10 rogue (me) 9 ranger (my buddy) 8 ranger (released judge) and 7 rogue (some guy, no clue who that was)...
I could have sworn the Judge was Dutch. If not maybe my brain has stopped working since that mod was highly entertaining with 4 strikers. I don't think DNDXP ever showed up on my characters online stuff or I'd check my played history to find out =( I really do like the My Play History tab I just wish it wasn't missing info.

It was Krishna. He's a fantastic DM for core specials. Fair, runs monsters to the full extent of their abilities and takes no prisoners.

He ran the LG special for me at DDXP 2008...brilliant but brutal. ;)

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Krishna would have been my guess as well. He is good with monsters and can come up with creative ideas. We had a lot of fun with IMPI1-1 due to how he ran
Show
the dopplegangers

Gomez

That right there is why my striker is level 2 whereas my controller is 10, defender is 9, leader is 6 and my other defender is 4 ;)

So which encounter did you all die in?
That right there is why my striker is level 2 whereas my controller is 10, defender is 9, leader is 6 and my other defender is 4 ;)

So which encounter did you all die in?

My understanding is that despite there being multiple deaths, that table succeeded at the adventure.

However, the other table that slot - a table of 6 that refused to break up, forcing me to find a released DM to fill in the fourth striker at the four-striker table - decided not to continue after the first round of play had ended...
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
My understanding is that despite there being multiple deaths, that table succeeded at the adventure.

However, the other table that slot - a table of 6 that refused to break up, forcing me to find a released DM to fill in the fourth striker at the four-striker table - decided not to continue after the first round of play had ended...

We had 2 deaths, the level 8 and 7 died I believe in the last fight of the first half. We made it through to all but the final 1 or 2 encounters if I recall the mod properly before we ran out of time, I honestly can't remember if we got through the second to last one or if we ran out of time during. I've now run the mod twice and only played it once so honestly some of it blurs together now.
Blah blah blah
Thanks for the vote on that, John, but it wasn't me. I do recall hearing about it though!

I'm the guy that dry-ran the aboleth adventures... and thoroughly creeped my players out. Yes. I scared gnolls, in-character.

Woot!

Alan Patrick

From what I remember you only missed the final encounter (and he called the one before that in your favor), which Krishna thought was probably a good thing for your group. He talked a bit about it afterwards and he was rather impressed with your group, especially in light of what happened with the other group.

As for my original message: Translated it means that I am very unlikely to be able to give an update before the weekend. I really hate when this happens, since I know from personal experience how incredibly irritating it can be. It is also not very fun for the Dragoncoast, since the earlier they have a replacement, the more time the current writing director has to help the new one to get things going. I am also jealous on those administrators who are going to be gaming for 4 days (Origins), while I will be sitting behind a computer screen checking Excel sheets, reviewing test reports and chasing people to make sure they are ready ;) O, at least I am going to GenCon Indy.
Well, you can consolate yourzelf with the thought that you are not alone.
Though ofcourse I am not working on Skynet. :P
I'm assuming Skynet = Living Eberron? I'm hoping it works like LFR, and not a level-kick system. Working more off my assumption, I'm really excited about Living Eberron. I haven't dealt with much with that world, but I am rather interested to.
We've got no official word on any RPGA Eberron campaign, Living or otherwise (unless I'm too tired to search properly?)... but you never know what those crazy kids are gonna talk about during the Origins/ GenCon seminars and meetings....

Alan Patrick

I'm assuming Skynet = Living Eberron?

No, that was an earlier tongue-in-cheek reference to Pieter's working on something scheduled for 'july 1st'.
To be honest, I have no idea what that is, but I think it has to do with his day job and not with D&D.

Gomez
Yes, the thing that goes life 1st July has to do with my day job (if you really want to know: it relates to mobilephone EU price regulations).