NEWS FLASH: Monks are Psionic??!!

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
If yo haven't checked the Monk playtest that was released today, Monk power source is Psionic, NOT Ki. WTF? Not the route I woudl have gone. I guess that means we can confirm that Psionics will be in PHB3.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Looks like there won't be a ki power source at all:

Check out the Design & Development peice from Mike Mearls.

The biggest, and perhaps most obvious, change is that the monk is now psionic. How, you might ask, did that happen? The monk ended up where it did because the ki power source proved untenable and psionics is the next best fit. The monk in D&D uses martial arts augmented with obviously magical abilities. The class's flavor, ascetics who train their bodies and minds, provides a good template for psionic power.

I always wondered about the usefullness of ki as a power source, and I find it only natural to pick psionic for monks... So I completely agree with the reasoning of the designers.
It is easy to think of Ki as a type of psionics. Just have monks call their psionic power 'ki' and you are done.
Personally I am more dissapointed in having it be a striker class.
Set up in the right way, the monk would have made a great martial (!) controller class (slide, daze, or trip opponents, affect more opponents at once, etc...).

As it is, I am a bit less awed as other people seem to be with the Monk. Abit of a missed opportunity.
Not that I won't make a monk PC if the RPGA allows it.

Gomez
psionic and it seems like an awful weak striker IMO, some cool battle field control tricks, but damage output is terrible for a striker classification.
It is easy to think of Ki as a type of psionics. Just have monks call their psionic power 'ki' and you are done.
Personally I am more dissapointed in having it be a striker class.
Set up in the right way, the monk would have made a great martial (!) controller class (slide, daze, or trip opponents, affect more opponents at once, etc...).

I'm actually rather fond of it. It does lean towards the secondary role of controller, and i think a lot of the powers have potential. I'll play one if given he chance...
Considering their track record, if you have an interest in playing a monk, it might not be a bad idea to encourage them to put it in the compiled version at the end of the month. The feedback e-mail address appears to be [email=dndinsider@wizards.com]dndinsider@wizards.com[/email].
I'm fairly certain it WILL make it into the compiled edition.

It's listed in the TOC page, not just the general Dragon Magazine site.

Pretty much all the stuff that did not end up getting compiled was stuff listed on the general site but not on the TOC page.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
Considering their track record, if you have an interest in playing a monk,

Or any other class that can use a weapon as an implement

That doesn't mean much. Thwe Wilden were listed in the ToC as well, and they didn't make it in.
What looks encouraging though is that this article has pagenumbers that do not start at 1.

Gomez
I'm fairly certain it WILL make it into the compiled edition.

That doesn't seem to matter anymore... I give you Exhibit A: The Wilden. It was in the TOC and was cut form the compiled issue.

EDIT: Bah... Ninja'd
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I hoping the Wilden is cut from the collective memory of mankind. But that's just me...
DAMMIT THEY KEEP CHANGING THE RULES.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
It looks to me like this one will make it into the RPGA legal playtest realm (I hope so it looks cool) and to those who say their damage is weak? Hmmm Flurry of blows gives you a stat mod + implement enhancement as damage on one hit every turn, against 2 targets at paragon and burst 1 at epic. And those targets do NOT have to be the target you hit with your attack. At Epic that is up to 8 targets of statmod + enhancement bonus (if you are surrounded, not likely but possible).

At low level that should come out to about 4-7 (16 or maybe 18 wis, +1 to +2 implement) damage extra per hit every time, better than a warlock or ranger average and not as good as a rogue but those strikers have to either curse, quarry or setup CA, the monk just has to hit anyone he wants. Unlike the other strikers the monk will get his bonus damage every single hit.

I think it looks balanced from what I read so far, it looks good so far though.
Blah blah blah
Well, every single hit when their is a handy bad guy adjacent to the original target... but I agree that the monk looks to be well made.

These playtest articles do annoy me, I'd rather see levels 1-10 of both builds rather than levels 1-30 for half the class. But I've always tried to turn my Fighters and Warlords into controllers, so the fact that there is finally a melee controller (even if it is secondary) is awesome.

+1 to two NADs, +2 to one NAD, and +2 AC? That right there is going to prove the "sleeper hit" of the Monk class, just like their nigh untouchable Saves in 3.x... especially if Human!
Nope dosn't need a bad guy adjacent to the origional target. Centered flurry of blows can hit the target of the origional attack :D.
In Paragon you do start needing to stand near 2 enemies to get full benefit though, maybe that's what he meant.
Blah blah blah
psionic and it seems like an awful weak striker IMO, some cool battle field control tricks, but damage output is terrible for a striker classification.

Keep in mind this is the Dex/Wis build. Has a lot of controller mixed in there. I'm sure the Str/Dex build will have much more focus fire damage. I kinda like this version though.. like a bouncey ball of death. We also haven't seen what kind of feat support they're going to have.
Keep in mind this is the Dex/Wis build. Has a lot of controller mixed in there. I'm sure the Str/Dex build will have much more focus fire damage. I kinda like this version though.. like a bouncey ball of death. We also haven't seen what kind of feat support they're going to have.

I think over on enworld, one of the developers let slip that the other path focuses more on damage. No specifics were given though.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
I think over on enworld, one of the developers let slip that the other path focuses more on damage. No specifics were given though.

Considering it's listed as a striker class, I certainly hope that is the true. I would have been just as happy to have a Monk as a Defender class, but if you are going to call it a striker it should be putting out some better single opponent damage IMO.
A warlock is a striker too, but it doesn't focus on damage so much as status effects and basically screwing with the target. The term striker has definitely widened since the PHB1, but I like the direction it's going. Nothing but damage can get boring fast. The monk kinda looks like it is returning to what it was wonderful at in 3e: Caster killing. With high NADs (especially human monks), and crazy mobility. Can really mess with them.
Caster killing. With high NADs (especially human monks), and crazy mobility. Can really mess with them.

I do find it interesting that Monks are Dex based and not Wis based like I thought they would be.

That makes halfling monks actually viable.

Watch out! Halfling monks will punch you in your NADs.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
The term striker has definitely widened since the PHB1, but I like the direction it's going. Nothing but damage can get boring fast.

Says you. I luvs me meh barbarian.
I do find it interesting that Monks are Dex based and not Wis based like I thought they would be.

Halfling monk does sound interesting. It's actually real nice for exploiting Dancing Cobra a bit. especially if you can squeeze in defensive mobility (haven't seen too many monk optimization builds and waiting for the CB update to do my own). Human for the extra defenses to make for some caster killing goodness. The hamster wheel is definitely turning!
Halfling monks are even a part of FR lore.

Go look up "Way of the Hin Fist" if you don't believe me.

(haven't seen too many monk optimization builds and waiting for the CB update to do my own)

Pfft... optimization was done long before the character builder existed... whippersnapper... ;)

Too many Wis based classes as it is =P Dex only really has Rogues and half of the rangers out there, wis already has cleric avenger druid invoker and shaman.
Blah blah blah
Pfft... optimization was done long before the character builder existed... whippersnapper... ;)

Yeah, but the CB has made me horribly lazy I've been kinda putting it off hoping someone else would do it. I was quite amazed that the CharOp boards weren't jumping all over it to be honest. Amazed and disappointed. Now you all have got me racking my brain over halfling or human!
Or Gnoll.

Although it was a bit tricker when your only options were Fighting Man, Magic-User and Cleric... the power creep got totally out of line with the broken munchkin class that they called "Elf." I swear, this whole "Dungeons & Dragons" thing has ruined the game. Dumbing it down for the kids. THAC0? What was wrong with the chart, hmm? Man, they don't even trust you enough to have you color in your own dice.
The crayons used to color the dice contained lead and were deemed unsafe. Mass outbreaks of crayon chewing by adults playign D&D helped cause a near collapse of the crayon industry...
Or Gnoll.

I like this idea. Except that it makes me sad Claw Fighter feat was so poorly done. A rewrite of Claw Fighter is probably never going to happen. But I can dream.

Dream

Gnoll Claw Adept
Prerequisite: Gnoll, Monk
You may make a Monk Unarmed Strike with your claws instead of your fist (or knee, etc.). When you do so, treat your Monk Unarmed Strike as a Light Blade and increase the damage die to 1d10.

The Monk Unarmed Strike convinced me further that the Claw Fighter feat we have now is a total waste and had no need to be so.
I'm curious why you would make it d10. The Monk Unarmed Strike already does d8. Supposedly there will be feats used to upgrade such things, if what the devs said is true. I don't really see a reason to make the claws better than the Monk's strike.
I'm curious why you would make it d10. The Monk Unarmed Strike already does d8. Supposedly there will be feats used to upgrade such things, if what the devs said is true. I don't really see a reason to make the claws better than the Monk's strike.

Basically to make it a Gnoll flavored example of a feat to upgrade the Monk's Unarmed Strike. I assume monks will have feats that a) let you use certain weapons as monk weapons that are better than +3/1d8 in some way, and likely give you proficiency as well and/or b) die bump or otherwise improve Monk Unarmed Strike. Basically a gnoll monk would spend a feat to make his unarmed strike one step better and count as a light blade while a non-gnoll monk would spend a feat to make his unarmed strike one step better. Being a light blade isn't inherently superior, but opens up additional options. If all the feat did was make the unarmed strike count as a light blade, it'd be a pure prerequisite feat, which doesn't much appeal to me.

For the original Claw Fighter, I would have made it +3/1d8, counts as a light blade, can be enchanted (much like Monk Unarmed Strike), and you may chose as a free action to be 'wielding' such a weapon in an otherwise empty hand (or one in each if both are empty); when you do so it is not concidered empty. This version is basically in line with Weapon Proficiency (rapier), except that the weapon cannot be taken away (a benefit which very rarely applies, and is counterbalanced by a racial prerequisite that in more RP heavy home games where having weapons taken away is more likely, is a serious detriment).

The current claw fighter feat is basically useless for its presumed purpose (to make a gnoll that fights with bare claws a viable option) as most weapon using classes already have access to a short sword, and saving 8 gp to get two of them 'for free' isn't really worth while; at higher levels they utterly fail because they get neither enhancement bonuses nor enchantment properties/powers. The only real use right now is to abuse semantics, like getting TWD + defensive property to stack with +3 (more w/ feats) swordmage warding by wielding a parrying dagger and an empty hand (aka claw). Or getting TWD while wielding a bow (the feat says you count at all times as wielding a claw in each hand, without regard to whether those hands are otherwise full). The swordmage one is likely to get funny looks from a DM (besides being a mediocre at best race/class match) and using TWF/TWD w/ 2-handed weapons is likely to get shot down by DMs, RAW be damned. And they're quite gimmicky and still don't actually involve -fighting- with your claws, but just blocking with them in improbable ways.

I'd like claw fighter to give Gnolls a unique superior weapon that is exactly on par with other superior weapons at the same cost (1 feat, enchantment costs as normal) but with the rarely useful but quite flavorful bump of not being taken away. I'm open to a different benefit in place of the die bump (brutal 1 maybe? or high crit?).
I like this idea. Except that it makes me sad Claw Fighter feat was so poorly done. A rewrite of Claw Fighter is probably never going to happen. But I can dream.

Dream

Gnoll Claw Adept
Prerequisite: Gnoll, Monk
You may make a Monk Unarmed Strike with your claws instead of your fist (or knee, etc.). When you do so, treat your Monk Unarmed Strike as a Light Blade and increase the damage die to 1d10.

The Monk Unarmed Strike convinced me further that the Claw Fighter feat we have now is a total waste and had no need to be so.

Your Welcome

Here is the truth behind the idea that Istaran was inspired by

Claw Fighter
Prerequisite: Gnoll
Benefit: You possess vicious claws, which you can
use as weapons with a +3 proficiency bonus and
1d6 damage
. For purpose of powers and feats, you
can treat your claws as light blades, and you are
considered to have a weapon in each hand. You
cannot enchant your claws.

Monk

"Peace is the Way. I shall defeat you swiftly, so that it is restored."

Class Traits

Role: Striker. You use your esoteric Martial arts abilities to damage and impede enemies.
Power Source: Psionic. You rigorously train both body and spirit.
Key Abilities: Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth
Weapon Proficiencies: Club, dagger, glaive, halberd, longspear, longsword, quarterstaff, scimitar, short sword, shuriken, sickle, spear

Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: From the class skills list below, choose four trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Religion (Int)

Build Options: Contemplative monk, martial monk
Class Features: Inner Eye, Monk Weapon Talent, Quivering Palm, Technique Focus, Uncanny Speed

Creating a Monk

Monks depend on Dexterity for many of their damaging martial powers and Wisdom for their more esoteric ki powers. Constitution will help the monk survive in combat, and is useful for strengthening some of his powers. The two monk builds presented here are the contemplative monk and the martial monk.

Contemplative Monk

You seek enlightenment through perfection of the inner self. You dwell on the philosophies associated with your Martial art, and through them you seek to unlock the mysteries of the universe. Your search for answers may be what leads you to adventure. Your art focuses on the Soft techniques, and therefore often seems gentler than that of your martial counterpart, yet it proves no less effective when you must employ it.
Martial Monk

You seek enlightenment through physical perfection. You practice your art constantly, ever seeking new challenges with which to test your skill and worth. You tend to favor Hard techniques, and your art is often direct and even brutal in application. Even if you are a braggart or a showoff, you prize efficiency in battle, because defeating your enemies swiftly proves the superiority of your art. Fighting is not necessarily the sole purpose of your life, however; like any other warrior, you may keenly appreciate the quieter moments in life.
Suggested Feat: Improved Quivering Palm (Human Feat: Action Surge)
Suggested Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Endurance, Perception
Suggested At-Will Powers: flurry of blows, martial strike
Suggested Encounter Power: crane bores the brush
Suggested Daily Power: eagle's claw strike

Meditative Focus

A monk may employ a special object as his meditative focus. This object can be almost anything that has meaning for the monk: a string of prayer beads, a small jade statuette, a specific garment, even a small, smooth stone. Whatever form the focus may take, it possesses the same property: it may bear any enchantment that a magical weapon could bear, at the same cost. A monk carrying, wearing, or holding an enchanted meditative focus may apply the effects of that enchantment to his unarmed strikes.

A meditative focus does not take up a magic item slot. For example, a character whose focus is a necklace of prayer beads can wear both that and a magical amulet.

Monk Class Features

Monks have the class features described below.

Inner Eye
You have an almost prescient sense of battle. While you are wearing no armor or cloth armor, and not using a shield, you gain a +3 bonus to Armor Class.

Monk Weapon TalentWhen you attack with a shuriken, your damage die increases by one size (eg., from 1d4 to 1d6).

You are highly trained in the art of fighting unarmed. When attacking with an unarmed strike, you gain a +3 proficiency bonus to your attack roll and your damage die increases by two sizes (eg., from 1d4 to 1d8). You do not need a hand free to make an unarmed strike, as long as you are capable of moving your legs. Your free hands are considered to be "holding a melee weapon" for purposes of Two-Weapon Fighting and similar feats.

Your unarmed strikes emulate a weapon. Choose a melee weapon group; your unarmed strike is considered to belong to that group as well as to the Unarmed group. Therefore, your unarmed strike may benefit from feats and powers that have special effects when you wield a weapon of a specified group. This choice does not give you any other special abilities; for instance, choosing Polearm does not grant you Reach.

Quivering Palm
Once per round, as a free action, you can disrupt the ki of an enemy you hit with a melee attack. This disruption deals no immediate damage, but it causes the enemy to become more susceptible to your attacks. A disrupted enemy takes a -1 penalty to its saving throws against any power with the Ki keyword.

Once per round, when you hit a disrupted enemy with a melee attack that has the Ki keyword, you can inflict 1d6 bonus damage. You can choose which damage roll to apply this bonus damage to after all of your attacks have been rolled. Your bonus damage increases to 2d6 at 11th level and to 3d6 at 21st level.

You can only apply bonus damage to an enemy if that enemy was disrupted at the start of your turn. You cannot disrupt an enemy and apply bonus damage to that same enemy within the same round.

The disruption effect remains active until the end of the encounter or until the target is defeated.

Despite the name of this class feature, you need not use an unarmed strike to disrupt an enemy or to inflict bonus damage. You can do so with any melee attack.

Technique Focus
Martial techniques can be divided into two broad categories. Hard techniques emphasize the direct application of force to meet force, while Soft techniques emphasize redirecting the force and momentum of the enemy's attack in order to place him at a disadvantage. Choose one of the two types of techniques to focus on.
Hard Style: You can add your Constitution modifier to the bonus damage provided by your Quivering Palm class feature.
Soft Style: You gain a +1 to all defenses against melee attacks made by a disrupted enemy.

Most martial arts teach a mix of hard and soft techniques, so you may learn techniques freely; however, focus on a given type of technique provides bonuses to some powers. Individual powers detail the benefit derived from focus on their respective type of technique.

Uncanny Speed
As long as you are wearing no armor or cloth armor, and not using a shield, you can shift one square as a minor action.

Monk Powers

Your powers are techniques that you have mastered through long practice in the Martial arts. Some techniques reward a high Wisdom and are well suited for the Soft Style monk, while others reward a high Dexterity and appeal to the Hard Style monk.

At-Will Techniques

Flurry of Blows
You strike out in all directions at the enemies that surround you.
At-Will * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Melee weapon
Targets: Up to three creatures
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC (up to three attacks)
Hit: 1[W] damage per attack
Increase damage to 2[W] at level 21.
Special: Each attack must target a different creature.

Insightful Strike
You spot an opening in the enemy's defense and strike.
At-Will * Ki, Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Wisdom modifier at level 21.

Martial Strike
This simple maneuver is one of the basic techniques of your martial form.
At-Will * Ki, Weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier at level 21.
Special: This power counts as a melee basic attack. When a power allows you to use a melee basic attack, you may use this power.
Nerve Strike
A carefully-placed strike deadens one of the enemy's limbs.
At-Will * Ki, Weapon
Target: One disrupted creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[W] damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2[W] at level 21.

Level 1 Encounter Techniques

Crane Bores the Brush
Emulating the crane, you strike with a swift, fierce thrust.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can push the target one square.

Great Throw
Using the enemy's momentum against it, you turn and throw it to the ground.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage. You can switch positions with the enemy. You can slide the enemy into any unoccupied square adjacent to you. The enemy falls prone.

Heron Takes Flight
You dance and weave around the opponent's attacks, guiding him into position -- then, you strike.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you can slide the target one square.
Miss: You can slide the opponent one square.
Effect: You gain a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex defense until the end of your next turn.
Soft Style: Your bonus to AC and Reflex defense is equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1).

Tiger Lunge
You leap forward, delivering a powerful blow and sending your enemy staggering.
Encounter * Ki, WeaponStandard Action
Melee weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can push the target a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1). You can shift into the square the target left.
Hard Style: The enemy takes a -1 penalty to AC until the end of your next turn.
Special: You can use this power in place of a melee basic attack when you charge.

Level 1 Daily Techniques

Crane Stands in the Still Pond
You rise onto the ball of one foot, ready to strike at any enemy who approaches.
Daily * Ki, Stance
Standard Action * Personal, Stance
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you are slowed, but you may make an opportunity attack against any creature who enters a square adjacent to you. You may end this power early as a free action.

Eagle's Claw Strike
You focus your power and deal a crippling blow to your foe.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is weakened and slowed (save ends both).
Miss: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

No Shadow
You strike so swiftly that your enemies don't see the attacks.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Primary Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom + 2 vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you can make a secondary attack.
Miss: Half damage.
Secondary Target: One creature other than the primary target.
Secondary Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage

Stunning Fist
Targeting vital nerve clusters, you leave your enemy reeling in pain.Daily * Ki, Weapon
Hit: The target is stunned (save ends).
Miss: The target is dazed (save ends).

Level 2 Utility Techniques

Earth Stance
You root yourself to the ground, refusing to yield. Attempting to move you, your attacker only unbalances himself.
Daily * Ki, Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you cannot be pushed, pulled, slid, or knocked prone by an attack. You still suffer damage and other effects of the attack. If an attack would force movement or knock you prone, and your attacker is adjacent to you, that attacker grants combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn. You can end this stance early as a free action.

Leap of the Clouds
You can leap a great distance without a running start.
At-Will * Ki
Move Action * Personal
Effect: Make a high jump or a long jump. Determine the DC of the Athletics check as though you had a running start. The distance you jump can exceed your speed.

Missile Deflection
Before the arrow can strike you, you've cut it out of the air.
Encounter * Ki
Immediate Interrupt * Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits you with a ranged weapon attack.
Effect: You take no damage or other effect from the attack. If you have a free hand, you can choose to catch the weapon or projectile.

Monkey Dances
You move out of harm's way, evading the attacks of your enemies.
Encounter * Ki
Move Action * Personal
Effect: You can shift a number of squares equal to 1 + your Constitution modifier.

Wholeness of Body
Taking a moment to meditate, you shrug off the effects of your wounds.
Encounter * KiMove Action * Personal
Effect: You gain an immediate saving throw with a bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier against any one effect upon you that a save could end. You also recover an amount of hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Level 3 Encounter Techniques

Butterfly Lands on the Iron Pole
It's no more than a touch, but it sends your enemy hurtling away.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Hit: You push the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier, and the target falls prone. If the target strikes another creature or a solid object before completing its movement, it stops in the last square it occupied prior to the collision, and both it and the object or creature it hit take 2d6 damage. You can shift into the square the target vacated.
Soft Style: The target is also dazed until the end of your next turn.

Heaven Strike
You maneuver your enemy off-balance, then deliver an overhead strike, smashing him to the ground.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Special: You can shift one square before or after this attack.
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the enemy falls prone.
Hard Style: The enemy takes a -2 penalty to AC and Reflex defense until the end of your next turn.

Mantis Grasp
Emulating the mantis, you grab your enemy in a crushing grip.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Requirement: You must be able to grab the target.
Hit: Damage equal to your Wisdom modifier, and you grab the enemy.
Effect: While you sustain the grab, the enemy takes damage equal to your Wisdom modifier at the end of each of your turns.

Whirlwind Kick
Pivoting, you launch a vicious, sweeping kick.
Encounter * Ki, WeaponStandard Action * Close burst 1
Requirement: You must not be immobilized, and you must use your unarmed strike for this attack.
Target: Each creature in burst that you can see
Hit: 1[W] damage, and the enemy is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Level 5 Daily Techniques

Atemi Strike
Targeting the enemy's vital points in quick succession, you lock its limbs, paralyzing it.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the enemy is stunned (save ends).
Second failed save: The enemy is helpless (save ends).
Miss: The enemy is stunned until the end of your next turn.

Shadow Stitch
You hurl a ki-charged projectile into your opponent's shadow, and he finds himself pinned, unable to move.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must use a thrown dagger or shuriken for this attack.
Target: One or two creatures.
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex (two attacks).
Hit: The enemy is restrained (save ends).
Miss: The enemy is immobilized (save ends) and cannot be pushed, pulled, or slid until freed.

Tiger's Roar
You loose a thunderous kiai shout, leaving your enemies quailing.
Daily * Fear, Ki, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action * Close burst 5
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: 1d10 thunder damage, and the enemy is weakened until the end of your next turn. If the enemy is bloodied, it moves its speed plus your Constitution modifier away from you. It avoids difficult terrain and dangerous areas if it can. This movement provokes opportunity attacks.
Miss: The enemy is weakened until the end of your next turn.

Viper's Bite
Your strike disrupts the enemy's flow of ki, effectively poisoning it.
Daily * Ki, Poison, Weapon
Standard ActionMelee weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, the target is disrupted, and the target takes 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is disrupted. No ongoing damage.

Level 6 Utility Techniques

Iron Body
Focusing your ki, you cause your body to become as tough as iron.
Daily * Ki
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 power bonus to AC and Fortitude Defense.

Lessons of the Way
Your philosophical riddles and aphorisms cause others to think about what they know in new ways.
Encounter * Ki
Minor Action * Close burst 10
Effect: Each ally in the burst who is able to hear you may reroll any one Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion check they make during this encounter and take the better result.

Monkey's Climb
You nimbly climb almost any surface.
At-Will * Ki
Move Action * Personal
Prerequisite: You must be trained in Athletics.
Effect: Make an Athletics check to climb a surface. You move at your full speed during this climb.

Slow Fall
You slow your fall and land gracefully on your feet.
Encounter * Ki
Free Action * Personal
Trigger: You fall any distance.
Effect: Treat the fall as though it were 100 feet shorter. In addition, you do not fall prone at the end of the fall.

Level 7 Encounter Techniques

Crane Bows to Heaven and Earth
You stab at the enemy's eyes.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Melee weaponTarget: One creature
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the enemy is blinded until the end of your next turn.

Flow Like the River
You follow through on your attack, bringing more enemies within your reach.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Effect: You can shift one square and make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One creature other than the primary target
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Hard Style: Instead of shifting one square, you can shift a number of squares equal to half your Constitution modifier (minimum 1).

Iron Arm Technique
Your ki empowers the muscles of your arm, and you deliver a blow that could smash through steel as if it were paper.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and the enemy gains vulnerability 5 to weapon damage (save ends).

Strength of My Enemy
Your enemy's attempt to strike you invites your retaliation.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Immediate Reaction * Melee weapon
Trigger: A creature you can see that is within your melee reach makes a melee attack against you.
Target: The triggering creature.
Hit: 3[W] + Wisdom modifier damage.
Soft Style: You gain a +1 power bonus to your attack roll.

Level 9 Daily Techniques

One Pillar to Support Heaven and Earth
You hammer your foe with a succession of powerful open-palm blows.
Daily * Ki, Thunder, Weapon
Requirement: You must attack with an unarmed strike.Target: One creature
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier thunder damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn. Until the end of the encounter, each time you hit the target with an unarmed strike, he becomes dazed until the end of your next turn.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

One Strike, Two Cuts
Your blow ruptures the enemy's flesh, causing him to bleed profusely.
Daily * Ki, Reliable, Weapon
Standard Action * Melee weapon or Ranged weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target takes ongoing 10 damage (save ends). If the target is bloodied while the ongoing damage is still in effect, it is weakened until its save succeeds.

Tiger Rakes His Prey
Grabbing the enemy, you deliver a vicious blow to his midsection.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Melee unarmed
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you grab the target.
Miss: Half damage, and you fail to grab the target.
Sustain Standard: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you sustain the grab.

Whirling Fury
You lash out with a succession of strikes as you move across the battlefield, pinning the enemies down as they fend off your assault.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Effect: Move your speed. Any time you would provoke an opportunity attack for this movement, make an attack against that enemy.
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can slide the target one square. The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn. You do not provoke an opportunity attack from the target.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn. The target can make an opportunity attack against you as normal.

Level 10 Utility Techniques

Balancing the Scales
Your enemies thought they had you surrounded...
Encounter * KiImmediate Interrupt * Personal
Trigger: An enemy who is flanking you makes a melee attack against you.
Effect: You switch positions with the other enemy who is flanking you. The attack targets that enemy instead.

Heaven Stance
Your light step carries you around the enemy's attacks.
Daily * Ki, Stance
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +4 power bonus to AC against opportunity attacks. If an enemy makes an opportunity attack against you and misses, that enemy grants you combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Moment of Clarity
In the moment before the battle begins, you see all possibilities with perfect clarity.
Daily * Ki
No Action * Personal
Effect: Use this power instead of rolling initiative. Your initiative score for this encounter is equal to 20 + your Wisdom modifier + any bonuses or penalties that apply.

Perfect Balance
You move swiftly and gracefully even in the most difficult circumstances.
At-Will * Ki
No Action * Personal
Prerequisite: You must be trained in Acrobatics.
Effect: You automatically succeed on Acrobatics checks to balance, except on checks you must make because you took damage. On such checks, you gain a +5 power bonus. You can move your full speed when balancing, and you do not grant combat advantage while balancing.

Level 13 Encounter Techniques

Crane Looks to the Four Directions
A flurry of quick motions helps you escape a dangerous situation.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst that you can see
Special: You can shift one square after this attack.
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you can push the target one square. If you were granting combat advantage to the target, you can push the target an additional square.
Hard Style: After pushing a target, you can slide the target an additional square.

Grass Cutting Fist
The enemy doesn't bend before you -- it breaks.
Encounter * Ki, WeaponStandard Action * Melee weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, the target is disrupted, and until the end of the encounter the target is unable to shift (save ends).
Soft Style: Until the end of the encounter, each time you hit the target, it is unable to shift until the end of your next turn.

Hare Kicks the Mountain
You slam a bone-crunching attack into your opponent's leg.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is slowed (save ends) and falls prone.

Level 15 Daily Techniques

Bending Willow Stance
You bob and weave, moving with your opponent's attacks like a willow tree caught in a storm.
Daily * Ki, Stance, Weapon
Hit: 3[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and you take half damage from the target's attacks until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until the stance ends, you gain a +2 power bonus to AC, and you can shift one square as an immediate reaction any time a melee attack is made against you.

Earth Strike
With a loud kiai, you strike the ground, causing a nearby area to heave and quake in the wake of your blow.
Daily * Ki, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action * Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Hit: 3d10 thunder damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends) and knocked prone.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, the burst area is considered difficult terrain.
Sustain Standard: Make a Wisdom vs. Reflex attack against each creature in the burst area. Those hit take 1d10 thunder damage and are knocked prone.

One Wind Blows Many Leaves
You make your way across the battlefield, parrying and counterattacking as you go.
Standard Action * PersonalEffect: You can move your speed as part of this action. You do not provoke opportunity attacks for this movement. Each time you first move within your melee reach of an opponent, you may make an attack against that opponent.
Hit: 2[W] damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Sweeping Serpent Strike
You strike with a sinuous motion, grabbing your opponent in a constricting grip.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Miss: Half damage, and you fail to grab the target.
Effect: While you sustain the grab, the target takes 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage at the end of each of your turns. If you are hit by an opportunity attack while moving the target, you may make a Wisdom vs. Reflex attack roll against the attacker as an immediate interrupt; if you hit, then the grabbed target is hit by the opportunity attack instead of you.

Tranquil Touch
As you strike, you tap a certain vital spot, and your enemy collapses.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] damage, and the target is unconscious (save ends). If the unconscious target takes any damage, it is no longer unconscious.
Miss: 1[W] damage, and the target is knocked prone.

Level 16 Utility Techniques

Abundant Step
You move from here to there in the blink of an eye.
Daily * Ki, Teleport
Move Action * Personal
Effect: You teleport up to a number of squares equal to 10 + your Constitution modifier. Any enemy within your melee reach at the end of your move grants you combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Blade Catch
You clap your hands together, catching the incoming attack between them before it can strike you.
Encounter * Ki
Requirement: You must have two free hands.Trigger: An enemy hits you with a melee attack.
Effect: You take no damage or other effect from the attack. If the attack used a weapon, the target drops that weapon. You can hold onto the weapon, or you can drop it in your square as a free action.

Cloud Step
You make enormous, soaring leaps.
Daily * Ki
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next round, you can fly with a speed equal to your move + your Constitution modifier. If you do not end your turn on a solid surface, you fall.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain the effect until the end of this encounter, or for five minutes. You must end each turn on a solid surface, or you fall.

Purity of Body
Taking a moment, you cleanse your body of impurities and restore the proper flow of your ki.
Daily * Ki
Standard Action * Personal
Effect: You automatically succeed on one saving throw against ongoing damage or one Endurance check to improve your condition if you are diseased, or you negate your exposure to disease for the remainder of this encounter. In addition, you can spend a healing surge.

Level 17 Encounter Techniques

Fist of Wind
You strike into the air; across the battlefield, your enemy recoils as though struck.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Ranged 20
Hit: 3[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Special: This attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Guiding the River
A gentle touch in the right place is all it takes to redirect the force of your opponent's blow.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Special: You can shift one square before or after this attack.
Hit: You can slide the target one square. The target makes a melee basic attack against another enemy of your choice within its reach. The target loses its next standard action.
Soft Style: The target gains a +2 power bonus to its melee basic attack.

Heaven's Judgment
A resounding blow leaves your enemy reeling.Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action* Melee weapon
Target: One creature that you have grabbed
Hit: 3[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, and while you sustain the grab the target is restrained instead of immobilized.

Monkey Rages Against Heaven
You burst into motion, throwing a succession of swift, reckless-seeming attacks toward every enemy nearby and forcing them to give ground.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast that you can see
Special: You gain a +2 power bonus to your attack rolls until the start of your next turn, but you suffer a -2 penalty to your AC. You can shift up to two squares in the direction of the blast after the attacks are resolved.
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you slide the target up to three squares.
Hard Style: Choose one enemy you hit. You can shift up to three additional squares, ending your move adjacent to that enemy, and that enemy grants you combat advantage until the end of your next
turn.

Storm of Blades
You strike with the fury of a raging thunderstorm.
Encounter * Ki, Lightning, Weapon
Target: One to three creatures
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC (three attacks)
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage per attack. Additionally, a target struck once takes 5 ongoing lightning damage (save ends). A creature struck twice takes 10 ongoing lightning damage (save ends). A creature struck three times takes 15 ongoing lightning damage (save ends).

Level 19 Daily Techniques

Dragon's Countless Coils
Every time the enemy tries to strike, he finds you've anticipated the blow.
Hit: 4[W] + Wisdom modifier damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, each time the enemy attempts to attack you, you can counterattack as an immediate interrupt. The counterattack is a Wisdom vs. AC attack that causes 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage and allows you to shift one square if you hit. The enemy can make a saving throw to end this effect.

Eye of Heaven
Your eyes might be fooled, but the universe cannot be; you let it guide your strike to where it must be.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Special: This attack ignores cover, concealment, and invisibility.
Hit: 5[W] + Wisdom modifier damage.

Rabbit Courts the Moon
You dance about your foe, drawing him in and leading him exactly where you want him.
Hit: 4[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, you can shift one square, and you pull the target into the square you vacated. You mark the target.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, the target suffers a -4 penalty to attack rolls against you. Each time you attack the target or the target attacks you, you can shift one square and slide the target into the square you vacated. The target can make a saving throw to end the attack penalty, but not the movement effect.

Shattering Blow
A single blow is all you need to devastate your opponent.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Hit: 4[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is stunned and gains vulnerability 5 to all damage (save ends both).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).

Level 22 Utility Techniques

Auspicious Moment
You bide your time, waiting for the best moment to strike.
Daily * Ki
Effect: You can spend a healing surge. Ready an attack action. If you perform the readied action before the start of your next turn, you cause a critical hit on a roll of 17-20, and you gain a +5 power bonus to any damage you inflict. If you do not perform the readied action, you recover the use of this power.

Diamond Body, Diamond Soul
Your spirit proves unassailable.
Daily * Ki
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack.
Effect: You take no damage or other effect from the attack. You can shift up to a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Strike the Spirit
Your ki-enhanced attacks strike not only at the bodies of your opponents, but at their very spirit.
Daily * Ki, Radiant
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, your attacks cause radiant damage, you can strike insubstantial creatures for full damage, and your attacks that would normally target AC instead target Reflex Defense.
Sustain Minor: This power can be sustained until the end of the encounter, or for five minutes.

Touch the Void
Even a moment of insight can often yield great results.
Daily * Ki
Trigger: You make a d20 roll and are unhappy with the result.
Effect: You can reroll, adding a power bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier to the result. You can choose which result to use.

Level 23 Encounter Techniques

Carry Pebbles, Move Mountains
One of the most elementary techniques of your art forms the basis of a lightning-quick combination of strikes.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Attack: Special
Hit: Special
Effect: As part of this action, make a melee basic attack or use an at-will technique against the primary target, with a +2 power bonus to your attack roll. You can shift one square and make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One creature
Secondary Attack: Dexterity + 2 vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is dazed (save ends). A target who was already dazed is instead stunned (save ends).
Hard Style: After you make your secondary attack, you can shift one square and make a melee basic attack against an adjacent creature.
Eight Million Stars in Heaven
Your shuriken fill the sky, flashing with the light of heaven.
Encounter * Ki, Radiant, Weapon
Standard Action * Area burst 2 within 12 squares
Requirement: You must be wielding shuriken
Primary Targets: Each enemy in burst that you can see
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier radiant and weapon damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Make a secondary attack against the target
Secondary Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: The target is blinded until the end of your next turn.

Eye of the Hurricane
Through sheer force of will and manipulation of your ki, you draw your opponents in. Your fists are waiting to greet them.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Close burst 10
Primary Targets: Each enemy in burst
Hit: You can pull the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier (maximum number equal to its move). If you pull the target adjacent to you, you can make a secondary attack.
Miss: Unless the target is already adjacent to you, it shifts one square toward you. You do not make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One enemy
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, you can slide the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier, and the target falls prone.

Scorpion's Tail
Your strike disrupts the opponent's ki, afflicting him with a terrible sickness.
Encounter * Ki, Poison, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Wisdom modifier damage, the target is disrupted, the target takes 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends), and the target is weakened until the end of your next turn.
Soft Style: The target is weakened until its save against the ongoing damage succeeds.

Level 25 Daily Techniques

Earth Below, Heaven Above
As the enemy approaches, you use its own momentum to send it crashing to the ground and follow up with a swift blow.Daily * Ki, Weapon
Immediate Interrupt * Melee weapon
Trigger: An enemy outside your reach moves to a square within your reach.
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 6[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, the target is slid to an adjacent square opposite you, and the target is knocked prone. If the square opposite you was already occupied, the occupant of the square takes half damage, is pushed one square, and falls prone.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is knocked prone.

Ghost Dancing Strike
Moving swiftly, you hit your opponent, then fade away in the blink of an eye, only to strike again from somewhere else entirely.
Daily * Ki, Teleport, Weapon
Special: You can shift one square before this attack.
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, plus 10 ongoing damage (save ends), and you can teleport a number of squares equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier. If you teleport adjacent to an enemy, you can make a secondary attack.
Miss: Half damage and half ongoing damage. You can teleport and make a secondary attack.
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, plus 10 ongoing damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage and half ongoing damage.

Heaven and Earth Meet in the Middle
You strike high, then low, throwing your enemy off balance and sending him stumbling to the ground.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC (three attacks)
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier each attack. If the first attack hits, the enemy grants combat advantage to you and your allies (save ends). If the second attack hits, the target falls prone. If the third attack hits, the target takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends), and you can slide the target a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier. Saving throws against each effect must be made independently.

Ki Explosion
Focusing your ki on a distant spot, you cause a sudden ground-level explosion, crippling your opponents' legs and sending them sprawling.
Daily * Force, Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Area burst 3 within 20 squares
Targets: Each creature in burst other than youAttack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 6d6 force damage, you can push the target a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier from the origin of the burst, the target falls prone, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, you can push the target 1 square from the origin of the burst, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Effect: The burst area is considered difficult terrain until the end of the encounter.

Level 27 Encounter Techniques

Eight Winds of the World
You leap across the battlefield, sowing chaos among your enemies as you go.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
You can move your speed as part of this action. Until the end of this round, each time you would provoke an opportunity attack from an enemy, the enemy must instead make a melee basic attack as an opportunity attack against itself or against another enemy it can reach (at your option). The enemy cannot decline to make this opportunity attack. If the enemy hits, you may make a secondary attack against the enemy's target if it is within your melee reach.
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Will
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Phoenix Rises from the Ashes
Capitalizing on your opponent's missteps, you take the opportunity to focus your ki and strike.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Trigger: An enemy within your reach suffers from an effect that a saving throw would end.
Effect: You can spend a healing surge as part of this attack.
Hit: 4[W] + Dexterity modifier damage. If the target is bloodied, it takes an additional
1[W] damage.
Hard Style: If you spend the healing surge, you also gain a number of temporary hit points equal to triple your Constitution bonus.

Respectfully Decline with Thousand Apologies
Your control of your own ki negates the opponent's stratagem, turning its power back upon itself.
Encounter * Ki, Weapon
Trigger: You are hit by an attack that would cause an effect other than damage.
Effect: You take the initial damage of the attack, but you negate all other effects. You can attack the creature who attacked you if it is within your melee reach.
Target: One creatureAttack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: The target takes damage equal to the damage you took + your Wisdom modifier, and the target suffers the additional effects of the attack that you avoided.
Soft Style: After resolving this power, whether you hit or miss, you gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn.

Seal Ki
You strike your target's atemi points in a certain complex sequence, sealing the flow of his ki and causing excruciating agony.
Encounter * Ki, Necrotic, Weapon
Hit: 3[W] + Wisdom modifier necrotic damage, and the target takes 10 ongoing necrotic damage (save ends).

Sun-and-Stars Kick
You leap high into the air and crash down on your target like a meteor.
Encounter * Ki, Thunder, Weapon
Primary Target: One creature you have charged.
Special: You use this attack in place of a melee basic attack during the charge.
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, the target must move one square, and the target falls prone. This movement provokes opportunity attacks from your allies, but not from you.
Miss: You slide the target one square.
Effect: A close burst 2 originating at the location you now occupy.
Secondary Targets: Each creature in burst.
Hit: 1d10 thunder damage, and the target falls prone and is deafened (save ends). If the target is already prone, it instead takes 3d10 thunder damage and is dazed and deafened (save ends both).
Miss: The target is deafened until the end of your next turn.
Effect: The burst area is considered difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. You can shift a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier.

Level 29 Daily Techniques

Dragon Tail
To your enlightened perspective, the moments stretch into minutes. There's plenty of time to counter every move the enemy makes.
Standard Action * Melee weapon * Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +4 power bonus to all defenses. Any time an enemy that you can see and reach attacks you, you may make a Dexterity vs. AC attack against that enemy. If you hit, the target takes 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and its attack misses you.

Mantis Double Clutch
Your enemy struggles in vain to escape your stone-crushing grip.
Daily * Ki, Reliable, Weapon
Requirement: You must be able to grab the target(s). In order to target two creatures, you must have two hands free.
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex (two attacks possible)
Effect: While you sustain the grab, the target is restrained rather than immobilized, and it takes damage equal to your Wisdom modifier at the end of each of your turns. The target cannot attack you while you sustain the grab and takes a -5 penalty on attempts to escape. If you grab two targets, you can sustain both grabs as a single minor action.

Presence of the Master
A simple tilt of the head or narrowing of the eyes is all it takes to strike fear into your enemies -- and to inspire your allies.
Daily * Fear, Ki, Weapon
Standard Action * Close burst 10
Target: Each enemy in burst that can see you
Hit: The target is stunned (save ends). After the first successful save, it moves its full speed away from you on each of its move actions (save ends). It avoids difficult terrain or dangerous territory if it can. This movement provokes opportunity attacks.
Miss: The target is dazed (save ends). After the first successful save, if the target is bloodied, it moves its full speed away from you and loses its next move action.
Effect: Each ally in the burst who can see you can spend a healing surge, and each gains a +5 power bonus to one d20 roll of their choice that occurs before the end of your next turn.

World Breaker's Hand
You concentrate the totality of your being into a single eradicating strike.
Daily * Ki, Weapon
Target: One creature or object
Special: You automatically break or burst an unattended object with this attack, unless it is an artifact.
Hit: 6[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target takes 20 ongoing damage (save ends). After the first successful save, the target takes 10 ongoing damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target takes 10 ongoing damage (save ends).

Monk Feats

Heroic Tier

Additional Weapon Emulation
Prerequisites: Your unarmed strike belongs to a weapon group other than Unarmed
Benefit: Choose a melee weapon group. Your unarmed strikes are now treated as a member of that weapon group, in addition to its current weapon groups.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, choose a different weapon group.

Improved Quivering Palm
Prerequisites: Wis 13, monk, Quivering Palm class feature
Benefit: The bonus damage dice provided by your Quivering Palm are d8s instead of d6s.

Improvisation Expert
Prerequisites: Str 17 or Dex 17, proficient with Unarmed attacks
Benefit: You gain a +2 proficiency bonus to your attack rolls when using an improvised weapon, and your damage die increases by one size. You can use an object of up to 5 lbs. as an improvised one-handed or thrown weapon, and an object of up to 25 lbs. as an improvised two-handed weapon.

Skilled Grappler
Prerequisites: Wis 15, proficient with Unarmed attacks
Benefit: You gain a +2 proficiency bonus on your attack roll when attempting to grab, and you can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls when attempting to grab or when attempting to move a grabbed target. You also gain a +2 feat bonus on Athletics checks to attempt to escape a grab, and you can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Strength modifier on such checks.

All of the above is subject to change and IS NOT FINAL it is based on a leaked copy of the full class because of restrictions on charactor limit I couldn't post the Paragon or Epic tier information
Here is the truth behind the idea that Istaran was inspired by

Dude... We don't need an entire monk article -- just post items relevant to the discussion; as it is, I have no idea what your point is

Edit: Also totally irrelevant, as Ki is no longer the monk power source -- was this completely made up by someone on ENWorld?
Dude... We don't need an entire monk article -- just post items relevant to the discussion; as it is, I have no idea what your point is

Edit: Also totally irrelevant, as Ki is no longer the monk power source -- was this completely made up by someone on ENWorld?

It's not from Enworld It's a leaked copy of the class and as I stated it's not final so everthing is subject to change and as I've just found out much of it has changed for the better.
The following two class features have been removed and make Gnoll Monks not nearly as powerful as they could have been.
Meditative Focus

A monk may employ a special object as his meditative focus. This object can be almost anything that has meaning for the monk: a string of prayer beads, a small jade statuette, a specific garment, even a small, smooth stone. Whatever form the focus may take, it possesses the same property: it may bear any enchantment that a magical weapon could bear, at the same cost. A monk carrying, wearing, or holding an enchanted meditative focus may apply the effects of that enchantment to his unarmed strikes.

Monk Weapon Talent when you attack with a shuriken, your damage die increases by one size (eg., from 1d4 to 1d6).

You are highly trained in the art of fighting unarmed. When attacking with an unarmed strike, you gain a +3 proficiency bonus to your attack roll and your damage die increases by two sizes (eg., from 1d4 to 1d8). You do not need a hand free to make an unarmed strike, as long as you are capable of moving your legs. Your free hands are considered to be "holding a melee weapon" for purposes of Two-Weapon Fighting and similar feats.

Your unarmed strikes emulate a weapon. Choose a melee weapon group; your unarmed strike is considered to belong to that group as well as to the Unarmed group. Therefore, your unarmed strike may benefit from feats and powers that have special effects when you wield a weapon of a specified group. This choice does not give you any other special abilities; for instance, choosing Polearm does not grant you Reach.
It's not from Enworld It's a leaked copy of the class and as I stated it's not final so everthing is subject to change and as I've just found out much of it has changed for the better.
The following two class features have been removed and make Gnoll Monks not nearly as powerful as they could have been.

For as far as I know this is not a leaked copy but someone who was working on a homebrew monk but took great care in describing it. I play a monk in a game transitioning to 4th edition and the DM came with this as the first guide before the playtest was given on DDi. I thought there were some ridiculous powers and holes to be exploited so opted for the monk from insider instead.

Found the original link: http://abutterflydreaming.com/2009/01/06/4e-monk-project-update-2/
For as far as I know this is not a leaked copy but someone who was working on a homebrew monk but took great care in describing it. I play a monk in a game transitioning to 4th edition and the DM came with this as the first guide before the playtest was given on DDi. I thought there were some ridiculous powers and holes to be exploited so opted for the monk from insider instead.

Found the original link: http://abutterflydreaming.com/2009/01/06/4e-monk-project-update-2/

Good work you get a
What does some guy's homebrew monk class* have to do with LFR?

*(If that is what it is, I can't be bothered to check the link.)