Mask as PC Deity

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why Not? He is probibly U and My elderan is 130 at least old enough to remember him.
and it is his goal to become a god and find him.....he is a rogue

W.E.C.

ps when did he disapear
Mask is not an option for a PC deity because he is:
- Evil, and
- Dead (kind of)

Mask dissapeared in Shadowrealm.
Show

He turned out to be Shar's herald, and was absorbed by her - though some of his divine essence was taken by Rivalen and his Chosen (Erevis Cale and Drasek Riven).
Sorry missed my spot check when looking at the 3.5 book thought he was just N not NE.

Where did you get your info?

As ad DM more then a player at this point.
Also, please ntoe that you need to use the 4e books when choosing a deity, not the 3e books as this is a 4e campaign. Mask isn't listed in the deity rolls in the FRCG.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Why Not? He is probibly U and My elderan is 130 at least old enough to remember him.
and it is his goal to become a god and find him.....he is a rogue

A PC cannot worship an evil deity, and if a class requires you to serve a deity, you must select a valid deity from the FRCG.

However, unless required by their class, it does not appear that a PC is required to declare a patron deity, so a PC is fine to say that they worship a small smooth stone, their Uncle Fred or pretty much anything they want, as long as it's not an evil deity.
This deity is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'E's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-GOD!!

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
All I can say. Not all that seems dead must be.

From the rules side, you can worship a dead god if you are not a cleric, and you can do so as a cleric but are actually receiving the spells from a living deity.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

From the rules side, you can worship a dead god if you are not a Divine class

Fixed that for ya.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Where did you get your info?

On Mask being evil: any 2n2/3rd ed lore books.
On mask being 'dead': ShadowRealm, a novel by Paul kemp.
Fixed that for ya.

Are you sure? Invoker is the only one that stood out to me as saying you receive your powers directly from a deity. Can you quote the language preventing this? I thought the many discussions on this in the past concluded you can worship whomever you like, though your powers must come from a living deity. Or is the issue the alignment? He is evil, though non-evil people have reasons to worship him. ]

Sorry, I'm not up on this aspect of the rules, but a good clear response on what can and cannot be done would be more helpful (though I do need an editor...)

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Oh, yeah, as long as your power is coming from an extant deity, then all is well. You only listed Cleric. You couldn't have Elistraee listed as your patron deity. You could have Corellon as your patron deity, and say that you are still dedicated to Elistraee. But all divine classes have to choose a patron deity.

Clerics: "All clerics choose a specific faith to which they devote themselves."
Paladin: "As fervent crusaders in their chosen cause, paladins must choose a deity."
Avenger: "Choice of Deity: Each avenger chooses a single deity from the pantheon and gives his or her exclusive service to that deity."
Invoker: "Choice of Deity: Like other divine characters, invokers are dedicated servants of one or more deities. Most invokers devote themselves to a single deity, but all invokers recognize the entire pantheon as worthy of respect."

You have to choose from the FRCG. Says so right in the LFR guidelines: "Select a deity for your character, if applicable. See the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or Player’s Guide for a list of deities available in the Realms."

So as long as the patron deity is from the roll call fo deities, no worries. You could say you are worshiping the aspect of Correllon known as Lintball the Magnificent after that if you really want to.
Clerics: As a cleric, your deity does not directly grant you powers. Instead, your ordination or investiture as a cleric grants you the ability to wield divine powers

That was the very next paragraph under clerics.

Paladin: Paladins are not granted their powers directly by their deity, but instead through various rites performed when they first become paladins...... Once initiated, the paladin is a paladin forevermore.

Avenger: A ceremony of investiture at your home temple, which culminated in an experience that seemed like a manifestation of your deity, granted you the ability to wield your divine powers. ...... Whatever relationship you have with your order, nothing can removethe spark of divine power within you...

Invoker: These guys have no real mention of what happens if you forsake your patron deity, but since you recognize and actually respect the entire pantheon, maybe you just keep going.

Oh, yeah, as long as your power is coming from an extant deity, then all is well. You only listed Cleric. You couldn't have Elistraee listed as your patron deity. You could have Corellon as your patron deity, and say that you are still dedicated to Elistraee. But all divine classes have to choose a patron deity.

Clerics: "All clerics choose a specific faith to which they devote themselves."
Paladin: "As fervent crusaders in their chosen cause, paladins must choose a deity."
Avenger: "Choice of Deity: Each avenger chooses a single deity from the pantheon and gives his or her exclusive service to that deity."
Invoker: "Choice of Deity: Like other divine characters, invokers are dedicated servants of one or more deities. Most invokers devote themselves to a single deity, but all invokers recognize the entire pantheon as worthy of respect."

You have to choose from the FRCG. Says so right in the LFR guidelines: "Select a deity for your character, if applicable. See the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or Player’s Guide for a list of deities available in the Realms."

So as long as the patron deity is from the roll call fo deities, no worries. You could say you are worshiping the aspect of Correllon known as Lintball the Magnificent after that if you really want to.

Blah blah blah
They are still required to choose a deity.
As has been stated multiple other times on other threads, according to CCG 1.8 if you select a deity is must be non-evil and from the FRPG.

Page 2
Character alignments must be unaligned, good, or
lawful good. In addition, characters may not worship a
deity with an alignment of evil or chaotic evil.

Page 7
Select a deity for your character, if applicable. See the
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or Player’s Guide for a
list of deities available in the Realms.
An Invoker is actually the only divine character capable of acting like a nonlay member of a panthestic religion in LFR... They are not required to choose an individual god to worship, instead recognizing the pantheon as a whole.

Really, this is one of the sillier parts of D&D and LFR especially. A pantheon with hundreds of gods and everyone is as monotheistic as an Iranian mullah.
An Invoker is actually the only divine character capable of acting like a nonlay member of a panthestic religion in LFR... They are not required to choose an individual god to worship, instead recognizing the pantheon as a whole.

I think you need to go back and re-read the Invoker.

"Most invokers devote themselves to a single deity, but all invokers recognize the entire pantheon as worthy of respect"

"Because you strive to bring your will into perfect accordance with your deity’s, your alignment must match your deity’s. For instance, an invoker of Moradin must be lawful good, an invoker of Pelor must be good, and an invoker of Ioun must be unaligned.

So, yes, Invokers do need to choose a deity.

Really, this is one of the sillier parts of D&D and LFR especially. A pantheon with hundreds of gods and everyone is as monotheistic as an Iranian mullah.

I think you're taking a very narrow view of it. Most people, lay or not, recognize the pantheon. Divine characters simply devote the bulk of their energy towards one deity and generally oppose (as good aligned people) the machinations of the evil deities and their followers. If you think a Cleric of Amaunator wouldn't offer a prayer to Tymora when they were in need of a little luck, you're mistaken.

The difference between an Invoker and and other Divine PCs is that they respect the evil aligned deities of the pantheon as well, even if they don't directly follow them or their tenants.
I've read it, in fact you quoted it: "Most invokers devote themselves to a single deity..." and most drow are evil, most elves live in the woods, and most humans are farmers.

The difference between an Invoker and and other Divine PCs is that they respect the evil aligned all deities of the pantheon as well, even if they don't directly follow them or their tenants.

"Because you strive to bring your will into perfect accordance with your deity’s, your alignment must match your deity’s." but this leaves unaddressed the minority of Invokers who do not devote themselves to a single deity.

As an Invoker it's perfectly reasonable to call upon Bahamut when praying for bravery and Tiamat when praying for power to smite your foes.
but this leaves unaddressed the minority of Invokers who do not devote themselves to a single deity.

It doesn't matter. You're looking at it the wrong way. Even if an Invoker devotes themselves to the entire pantheon they are invested with power by one deity. Not the whole pantheon. The rules say your alignment has to match your deity's (singular). The fluff even says: "You bear the touch
of your god’s [singular] own hand on your soul, ... ." One deity invests you with power, not every deity in the elven pantheon, or dwarven, or human, or whatever.
This is a rather selective reading of the Invoker class, which ignores all the references to some Invokers serving multiple deities or the entire pantheon, and focuses only on Invokers who serve singular gods.

"You might even be an immortal born into flesh, slowly awakening to the awesome divine power that is your birthright. (So you might not need extrenal grants of divine energy.) Whatever your past, you are among the gods' (Note, "the gods'" not "a god's".) most trusted servants, bound to a covenant in which you swore to use divine power with great care."

"Choice of Deity: Like other divine characters, invokers are dedicated servants of one or more deities." ("or more")

The Compendium does not duplicate the sidebar, but the "Religion" paragraph explictly states that Invokers can devote themselves to more than one god.
It is also interesting, to me, that under the old alignment system a cleric or other character who got their divine-mojo-direct through Mask could have been Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral, Neutral Evil, Neutral Good, Chaotic Neutral, or Chaotic Evil.

And as the patron deity of Thieves, thievery, stealth, and shadows... Mask works rather well as the sponsor of a group of people who, once you get past the literary tropes, raid tombs and rob graves for a living.

In 4th edition, alignments have been simplified, with neutral good and chaotic good merged into good, neutral and chaotic neutral merged into unaligned, lawful neutral merged into lawful good, lawful evil and neutral evil merged into evil and finally chaotic evil remaining as chaotic evil.

Under this scheme, Mask is now evil and clerics must match the alignment rather than be within one step. But it could be argued that the literature has always shown Mask as favoring the Neutral-half of his Neutral Evil alignment... after all, his only real enemy in the pantheon was/is Cyric. So the original poster is probably correct that Unaligned would suit the ammoral, selfish, and cunning bastard of Shar the best.

Olidammara was kosher in LG, but Mask is not in LFR. Despite the overlapping spheres of influence and filling the same cultural niche. Its just odd.
This is a rather selective reading of the Invoker class, which ignores all the references to some Invokers serving multiple deities or the entire pantheon, and focuses only on Invokers who serve singular gods.

"You might even be an immortal born into flesh, slowly awakening to the awesome divine power that is your birthright. (So you might not need extrenal grants of divine energy.) Whatever your past, you are among the gods' (Note, "the gods'" not "a god's".) most trusted servants, bound to a covenant in which you swore to use divine power with great care."

"Choice of Deity: Like other divine characters, invokers are dedicated servants of one or more deities." ("or more")

The Compendium does not duplicate the sidebar, but the "Religion" paragraph explictly states that Invokers can devote themselves to more than one god.

I'm not selectively reading anything. I'm reading the rules. Fluff != rules. You may serve an entire pantheon, or more than one God, but the actual rules for an invoker all point to a single patron deity that invests you directly with power. Good luck matching the alignment of an entire pantheon. ;)

Olidammara was kosher in LG, but Mask is not in LFR. Despite the overlapping spheres of influence and filling the same cultural niche. Its just odd.

Well, that and Mask is gone.
INVOKERS AND DEITIES
Choice of Deity: Like other divine characters, invokers are dedicated servants of one or more deities. Most invokers devote themselves to a single deity, but all invokers recognize the entire pantheon as worthy of respect (see "Deities," Player's Handbook, page 20).

That's the rule on deities; it's not fluff, flavor text, or background information. Its the rules entry labeled "Choice of Deity" and the very first sentance states you can chose to play the servant of one or more deities.

Choice of Alignment: Invokers don't gain their power through rites of investiture or ordination, snip your alignment must match your deity's.

The Unaligned alignment would be the best match for an Invoker who serves the collected pantheon. Unaligned can represent both not caring about alignment as well as the idea that there are more important things than alignment...

Okay, sure. Use that one against me... ;) But being dead never stopped C'thulhu now did it? Mask fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Ia!

But back to the original poster - a 130 year old eladrin theif - would be old enough to remember Mask, has excellent reasons to invoke his protection, and as a rogue has no special need to delcare which deity he worships in game terms. From a pure roleplaying stance, as long as his character is LG/G/U in alignment, he should be allowed to roleplay being a follower of Mask. Where's the harm?
Okay, sure. Use that one against me... ;) But being dead never stopped C'thulhu now did it? Mask fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Ia!

But back to the original poster - a 130 year old eladrin theif - would be old enough to remember Mask, has excellent reasons to invoke his protection, and as a rogue has no special need to delcare which deity he worships in game terms. From a pure roleplaying stance, as long as his character is LG/G/U in alignment, he should be allowed to roleplay being a follower of Mask. Where's the harm?

Of course, I find it funny, in a world where people know the Gods are real, that anyone would ask for protection from a deity they know doesn't exist. They won't get any tangible benefit from it.

Brandobaris has the Thievery protfolio. Even if someone was old enough to remember Mask, one would more likely offer a prayer to Brandobaris before stealing something than Mask. Are you going to seek help and guidance from a God who no longer exists or one who does? Who are you more likely to get a benefit from?

Not to mention that Brandobaris is Unaligned. So player's can worship her legally all they want. :P
People also know that Mask and several other Gods have gone missing, presumed dead, before... Besides, the OP's stated goal was to find Mask.

Never stopped Mask before when he was 'dead'!

Technically, his goal is to become a god first, and then find Mask.

It would really suck to do all that and find that the subject of your search had been dead and gone before you even started, wouldn't it?

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
Nope, it could be fun! That whole idea of the voyage vs. the destination?

And, just to not be flippant, in reading the posts I am more and more convinced that the rules are driving at various divine classes not worshiping dead gods.

However, I would like to see the rules change. I don't think a divine PC trying to restore/find a lost god is a big deal. I don't think the player worshiping a dead deity is going to cause any harm to a table. The opposite is likely, as a PC trying to champion Mystra or quietly bring back Mask is likely looking to bring fun RP to the table.

Within the setting of the Realms, where no deity seems to die for long, it is entirely fitting for PCs to be allowed to worship dead gods. And, belief has long been linked to deity power. Gorm Gulthyn (dead dwarven protector god) weakened each time followers died. That's just super-fun RP for my warlord, who now swears to restore him much as he swears to protect the East Rift. There is no reason to try to stop that sort of fun.

The setting has never supported the idea of a character ever getting divine power from a dead god, however.

There have been plenty of characters that have tried to restore a dead god to life, mostly evil, but none have ever been shown to have actual divine power from that dead deity. Most turn to arcane magic or artifacts for any magic they have, or sometimes they get divine power from another source (whether they know about the true source or not).

In fact, previously there have been Ministers of Ao, who is NOT a dead god but gives no powers and generally refuses to acknowledge mortal worship at all. They are pretty much normal non-powered humans that just preach a lot and at most use herbalism and heal checks to ease the suffering of others.

The setting has never supported the idea of a character ever getting divine power from a dead god, however.

Didn't late 3.x finally release a feat for getting power from the last remnants of dead deities?
The opposite is likely, as a PC trying to champion Mystra or quietly bring back Mask is likely looking to bring fun RP to the table.

As long as they're fine with serving annother deity while trying to bring back Mystra that's fine. Mask on the other hand is a thoroughly evil deity, thus he wouldn't even be an option if he was still alive (or the campaign also starts to allow Cyricists, Banites, Sharans, ...).
Didn't late 3.x finally release a feat for getting power from the last remnants of dead deities?

Yeah, I think so, but consuming the flesh of a dead god / siphoning off it's last remnants isn't really the same as praying to the dead god and receiving spells, which is the key here.

The latter is receiving a gift of power, while the former is just taking it.

I can see a rogue character, claiming to be a former cleric of Mask, searching for a way to restore his deity. Could also explain why he's 1st level again. Nifty roleplaying hook.

As long as they're fine with serving annother deity while trying to bring back Mystra that's fine. Mask on the other hand is a thoroughly evil deity, thus he wouldn't even be an option if he was still alive (or the campaign also starts to allow Cyricists, Banites, Sharans, ...).

This presupposes that under the new alignment system Mask would be Evil instead of Unaligned. The sourcebooks in prior editions always seemed to play up the Amoral and Selfish aspect of his Neutral Evil alignment.

Besides, the OP is not playing a divine character at all. He's playing a rogue, and their is no reason in my mind that a Good or Unaligned rogue couldn't worship a god like Mask. Spells aren't an issue, the god's death isn't an issue, and really neither is his alignment... In prior editions Good characters could worship Mask - they'd play up his swashbuckling rogue side instead of his cold assassin side - but it was kosher.
and their is no reason in my mind that a Good or Unaligned rogue couldn't worship a god like Mask. Spells aren't an issue, the god's death isn't an issue, and really neither is his alignment... In prior editions Good characters could worship Mask - they'd play up his swashbuckling rogue side instead of his cold assassin side - but it was kosher.

I also see no reason why a unaligned character couldn't worship Cyric for his illusions and deception aspects (which a lot of ex-leirans where doing) or Shar for her loss aspect. Yet the CCG is clear on forbidding evil patron deities. And at the end of the day that's a good rule because it otherwise just opens the backdoor for people using this as an excuse for chosing said deities for their other aspects.
It's one of those things where, while it is technically wrong, functionally it will make zero difference.

If you want to write Mask as your deity, go for it. Chances are that it will have 0 impact on the campaign at any point. Especially as long as you play with your local group and don't make a huge issue of it. At the same time you have to go into it with the understanding that, should your choice of deity ever become important within a game, by the rules your character is not legal. If anyone ever has cause to call you on it the rules say you are wrong.

If this bothers you, find a different character concept to play.
This little signature is my official and insignificant protest to the (not so new now) community redesign. The layout is lousy. The colour scheme burns the eyes. The wiki is a crippled monstrosity. So many posters have abandoned this site that some major forums are going days without posts. The 4e General Discussion board regularly has posts on the front page from two or even three days ago. This is pathetic. Since I have to assume Wizards has a vested interest in an active community I wish someone in charge would fix this mess.
This is all true as well; personally I like that the RPGA errs on the side of caution its one of the sacrifices one must make in order to have a worldwide campaign.

On the other hand, one of the reasons I dreaded replacing LG with LFR is because of the massive and weird pantheon. The 4e reboot resolved a lot of my other issues with the Realms (and I've been a "realms hater" since the early 1980s), but they really needed to do a lot more housecleaning in the pantheon. Really, its just silly.
On the other hand, one of the reasons I dreaded replacing LG with LFR is because of the massive and weird pantheon. The 4e reboot resolved a lot of my other issues with the Realms (and I've been a "realms hater" since the early 1980s), but they really needed to do a lot more housecleaning in the pantheon. Really, its just silly.

Massive FR pantheon? Greyhawk had just as many deities as Faerun, just count through the LG deity document. I once counted all deities on both worlds to see whether FR truly had so many more deities. The result was that both were less than 10 deities apart with over 200 each.
Never said I liked Greyhawk's pantheon either, now did I? ;)

But my dreams of a Living Cerilia or Living Krynn will probably never come to pass.... much more manageable pantheons there (assuming one counts only human gods in the case of Birthright; although the nonhuman gods were few and far between.)
But my dreams of a Living Cerilia or Living Krynn will probably never come to pass....

And that's not a bad thing. ;)
Yeah, having only 12 or so deities would be easier to remember...

until mod authors and writers come up with a different name for each one, depending on which race/culture/language is being used. Humans call the god of storms Talos. Orcs call him Grummsh.

As long as the campaign is alive and different people are contributing to it, gods will continue to proliferate until we have another cataclysm.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
until mod authors and writers come up with a different name for each one, depending on which race/culture/language is being used. Humans call the god of storms Talos. Orcs call him Grummsh.

As long as the campaign is alive and different people are contributing to it, gods will continue to proliferate until we have another cataclysm.

Of course the portfolios (they don't even use that term anymore, they use the word Sphere) have been severely contracted in 4e for the FR Gods. The number of Gods has been pared down as well. Just to use your examples, Talos is no longer listed in the roll of the Gods and Grummsh's sphere is Savagery. (There's no God of storms)