Must play modules ?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, I just started my LFR career this past weekend. I played Impil 1-1 and was wondering is there some low level mods that are thought of as must plays ?

Mods that are either so much fun or rewarding that you should definitely play them before moving on out of that bracket ? Or if they retire the mod, I don't know if they do that anymore.
I really enjoyed Core 1-3 as it has some humor, some good skill/combat challenges, and pleasant non-standard challenge.

I also enjoyed Waterdeep 1-1 as it is more of an investigation adventure. Probably the most role-play of the adventures I've done so far.
-Sartredes
LFR modules are going to eventually retire, but not for a while. The first set of modules have a listed retirement date of 12/31/11, so you've got some time.

I've played all of the level 1-4 modules, but only a few from the 4-7 tier (and nothing above that). That said, ones that I particularly enjoyed (usually because of a nice mix of story / roleplaying and combat) include:
- CORE 1-2 The Radiant Vessel of Thesk
- DRAG 1-1 Many Hands Make Light Work
- LURU 1-1 Slivers of Eaerlann
- MOON 1-1 Nature's Wrath
- CORM 1-2 Gangs of Wheloon
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
These were two of my favourites also:

- CORE 1-2 The Radiant Vessel of Thesk
- DRAG 1-1 Many Hands Make Light Work
Ditto on CORE 1-1 Radiant Vessel of Thesk. The final encounter is quite good.

CORM 1-1 Black Knight of Arabel is potentially a fun adventure, but a lot depends on the DM being able to flesh things out a bit.

In the next set of adventures, I like EAST 1-2 Marauder's Spear, even though it has some high PC-screw-over potential.
Here are my favorites so far:
Level 1-4
Core 1-3 Sense of Wonder (a lot of fun with great comic moments with the right DM)
Corm 1-1 The Black Knight of Arabel (Good story line, but a bit too easy)
Spec 1-1 Zhentil Keep (I really enjoyed the chance to play a longer LFR mod)
Adap 1-5 Menace of the Icy Spire (Particularly fun and challenging combats)

Level 4-7
Core 1-4 Crystal Clear (a loose sequel to Core 1-3, with a very solid story and some great combats as well)
Levels 1-4
CORE 1-2 (The Radiant Vessel of Thesk)
CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder) (although I detest the final encounter)
CORM 1-1 (The Black Knight of Arabel)

Levels 4-7
CORM 1-2 (Gangs of Wheloon)
IMPL 1-2 (Breaking Point)
I agree with the above posters mainly:

1-4
Drag 1-1 Many hands
Core1-2 Radiant Vessel (needs a good DM)
Luru 1-1
Wate 1-1

4-7
Impi 1-2 Alone
Core 1-4
Core 1-5
Dale 1-2

My perception might be skewed since I played a few of those as a playtest and with great GMs.
My favorite so far has been Gangs of Wheloon, followed closely by Core 4 Crystal Clear, both great mods. Core 3 was also great (love Gnomes )
EAST 1-2 Marauder's Spear, even though it has some high PC-screw-over potential.

I actually feel this is one of the worst mods out there thus far lol. I tend to consider PC screw over material good reason to place a mod in the 'bad' category.

Shows you individual personal preferences.

THe Low level mods that I think are good are:

TYMA 1-1: This mod documents where it is set quite well, 9one of the only mods to actually have a proper set of DM aids on where the module is set) and is linear in a way that still provides PC choice.
SPEC 1-1: Good, largely because it doesn't have to conform to writer's guidelines - hence has a good amount of FR lore in it.
Core 1-3: The best skill challenge of the earlier mods, and some good opportunities for PC driven choice.
Any Dragoncoast module.
Corm 1-1: Decent storyline, but crazy easy fights
Adap 1-5, even better if run after Adap 1-1 for continuity.
Wate 1-1 for reasons others have already stated.
I consider the entire Cormyr set a must play at this point, I love all 3. And I really enjoy the east rift line as well. Gotta get my dinner out of over or I'd post a bigger list, maybe I'll edit later =)
Blah blah blah
There's an awful lot of personal opinion, but I would agree with those who suggested CORE1-3, WATE1-1 and CORM1-1 as amongst the best 1-4s.

However, none stand out to me as head and shoulders 'must plays' above the rest.

That said, IMO East 1-1, Bald1-1 and Akan1-1 are weaker, and need a bit of effort from the DM to make interesting, including potential adjustment of the encounters.
My favorite so far has been Gangs of Wheloon

My only disappointment with this adventure was that due to the LFR structure you can't use it as a stepping stone to world domination.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

My only disappointment with this adventure was that due to the LFR structure you can't use it as a steeping stone to world domination.

I've run this adventure several times, and
Show
at every table, there was a PC who really wanted to stay behind and be a gang lord. :D
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I've run this adventure several times, and
Show
at every table, there was a PC who really wanted to stay behind and be a gang lord. :D

Actually my PC still considers himself
Show
the gang lord of the Lady's Marauders. Because we didn't officially disband the gang he considers that all members are merely on a short holiday after escaping Wheloon and will eventually re-unite under his command. If he ever meets one of the ex-marauders again he will expect his obedience.

He will also introduce himself as leader of the Lady's Marauders, just like Jack Sparrow didn't let the fact that he lost his ship stop him from insisting on the title Captain Jack Sparrow
Show
He will also introduce himself as leader of the Lady's Marauders, just like Jack Sparrow didn't let the fact that he lost his ship stop him from insisting on the title Captain Jack Sparrow

:D

Show
"You must be the worst gang lord I've ever heard of."
"Ahhhh...but you have heard of me!"
Updated here
CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder) (although I detest the final encounter)

Out of curiosity, when you say "the final encounter," what do you mean?

Show

Do you mean the "second" combat with the automatons inside the sunken temple, the puzzle to open the altar, or the final roleplaying scene with Captain Kloom and the Cowled Wizard?

Enquiring authors want to know. ;)
Talk to you later -- Sean ---- M. Sean Molley | sean [at] basementsoftware [dot] com LFR Global Administrator
WATE1-1. (Yes, I'm a little biased.)
CORE1-2.
CORE1-3.
Ryan P. Kappler Community Manager for Living Forgotten Realms.
WATE1-1
BALD1-1 (with a smidge of DME on the RP side)
ADAP1-5 Icy Menace (I think, may have just been a really fun run, haven't read it)
SPEC1-1 (I _think_, actually had a horrible run but still enjoyed it so I'm figuring it must be decent to have remained fun despite the other things)

I'd probably not advise CORE1-1 through 1-3, LURU1-1, or CORM1-1... they're all workable but I think each has at least one intrinsic flaw that doesn't make it must have for me (like CORM is just too damn easy on the fights, 1-1 I'm not a fan of the pacing in general and setup for the last combat, 1-2 is immensely DM dependent on either being on rails or a morass, 1-3 seems to cause arguments and the bits after the voyage seem to get wackily run, etc)
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
The best mods (100% subjective):

1-4:
CORE1-2: The first time we got to see a creative skill challenge embedded in a combat encounter.
CORE1-3: The Big Man. I also really enjoy the campiness of Molley's style. The puzzle at the end was somewhat boring though.
CORM1-1: Fantastic "chase scene" skill challenge and the adventure set a cool, dark tone. The combats were boring and too easy, however.
LURU1-1: A classic dungeon crawl with some creative opponents.

4-7:
CORE1-4: More awesome campiness. I also think that the tone of Athkatla was presented well.
CORM1-2: Mutually agreed upon as one of the best mods out there so far. Probably a combination of the story "cool factor" and the amount of player choice allowed. However, I felt that the combats were too easy.
DALE1-2: I'm not sure why... I just have a lot of fun playing it.

7-10:
DALE1-3: Although the final encounter was a logistical nightmare, the module was unique and the first combat had some really fun potential. Sadly, the "rules" associated with it really cut it short.
EAST1-3: A straight-up, no-nonsense delve with NEW opponents (mostly). Very retro (as far as D&D goes). Had a blast.

I'll try avoid mentioning any adventure I wrote... that's poor style.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
Dave made some great points . . .

Ultimately, "Must-Play" really depends on your group. Want only combat? Enjoy skill challenges? Looking for regional flavor? Great role-playing scenes? Unique style?

I'd give a different "must-play" answer for each of these . . .

Ultimately, it comes down to:

(1) How well the DM prepared the mod before play.

(2) How well the DM knows/reads the play-styles of the players at the table.

There are certainly mods that fit one play-style better than others.

So, to answer the OP original question, identify what your group likes best about D&D, and we can point you to the best-fit mods for your DM to prepare!

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

My personal favorites thus far (having played and/or run all level 1-4's except for Scepter Tower, over half of the 4-7's, and just now getting into 7-10's):

1-4
- CORE1-3 - Best. NPC. EVAR. Also, while the puzzle was a bit bland, I'm a huge fan of puzzles in D&D so it was nice to see (and hopefully see more).
- DALE1-1 - There's an oddball encounter in there as I recall (I haven't looked at it in awhile) but I remember having a lot of fun RPing that one.
- DRAG1-1 - Good story behind the module, and sets up a lot of recurring story and characters for later.
- AGLA1-1 - It might just be the DM quality we've had with this one, but every time I've played this it's been an absolute blast interacting with the faeries...
- ADAP1-5 - Flavorful, challenging combats. Great stuff. This module, combined with CORE1-3, cemented Mr. Molley as my favorite author to date. (I haven't been disappointed yet.)
- CORM1-1 was good the first couple times through, but I've played and run that one so much that it's just gotten really old for me.

4-7
- CORM1-2 - If I had to pick one must-play in all of LFR right now, this would be it. In fact, I'd put this up as a must-replay as well - the range of options in there is incredible and it's impossible to experience everything the first time through.
- CORE1-4 - Great regional flavor, a good storyline, and combats that make for some good fun. (Barfupalung, anyone?)
- BALD1-2 - It's got a couple of problems in my book (one being length, the other being that the relative importance of the PCs' actions makes it seem more like a paragon module reskinned as heroic) but even in spite of that it still makes my favorites list.

7-10
I can't give much opinion here yet as I've only run one so far, but we rather enjoyed EAST1-3 - it's a pretty standard D&D story done well, with some new and iconic monsters. I'm also really looking forward to getting into CORE1-7 next week (you'll notice both of its prequels on the lists above) as well as CORE1-6 after that.
As pointed out, it depends a lot on your preferences. So to give you a better idea if you could enjoy the mods I did, here's what I like:

- roleplaying opportunities
- mines and tunnels to explore (love playing dwarves)
- regional flavour
- wilderness adventures over city adventures (though city adventures mostly have better roleplaying stuff included)
- non-standard combat encounters

And these are my favourite mods to date:

1-4
EAST1-1 - enjoyed it even the third time
DALE1-1 - interesting encounters and a bit of roleplay
AGLA1-1
CORE1-2
CORE1-3

4-7
AGLA1-2 - the best combat encounters to date (imo)
DALE1-2
CORM1-2
TYMA1-2 - couldn't say why this was special without spoilers

7-10
EAST1-3 - my favourite adventure to day! Flavour, roleplay, encounters - A+
DALE1-3 - one of the funniest moments in LFR due to a great skill challenge
DALE1-3: Although the final encounter was a logistical nightmare, the module was unique and the first combat had some really fun potential. Sadly, the "rules" associated with it really cut it short.

Well, the 'rules' are kinda 'optional'...

Gomez
1-4:
CORE 1-2 (Radiant Vessel of Thesk) That this one scores high, despite the use of one foe type, is a testament to the rest of the design and plot. (Compare to AKAN1-1)
CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder)
WATE 1-1 (Heirloom)

4-7:
AGLA1-2 (At The Foot of the Lighthouse) I liked some of the elements here.
CORM1-2 (Gangs of Wheloon) Awesome way of breaking the mold and just being full of plot and theme. Best LFR mod to date, perhaps.

7-10:
CORE1-6 (Incident at the Gorge of Gauros) More strong story and some nice variance in plot. The tavern scene feels like Raiders of the Lost Ark. The last skill challenge is so-so.
IMPI1-3 (Lost Souls) A nice heroic feel to it. The change in setting keeps things really fresh, and it is the kind of mod any DM can run but a good DM can make into something really special.

Honorable mention:
AKAN1-2 (The Depths of Airspur) for nice encounter design and the best use of minions yet (a broken controller helps)
TYMA1-3 (Tools of the Trade) for the best attempt yet to create a dungeon crawl. Too bad the XP budget doesn't support this. Get the author a core special stat!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Unofficial Poll Results - by no means scientific.
Level 1-4
ADAP 1-1 (Barrow of the Ogre King)
ADAP 1-5 (Menace of the Icy Spire) ****
AGLA 1-1 (Lost Temple of the Fey Gods) **
AKAN 1-1 (Rotting Ruin of Galain)
BALD 1-1 (Flames of Initiation) *
CORE 1-1 (Inheritance)
CORE 1-2 (Radiant Vessel of Thesk) *********
CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder) ***********
CORM 1-1 (Black Knight of Arabel) ********
DALE 1-1 (The Prospect) **
DRAG 1-1 (Many Hands Make Light Work) *****
EAST 1-1 (These Hallowed Halls) *
IMPI 1-1 (Alone)
LURU 1-1 (Slivers of Eaerlaan) ***
MOON 1-1 (Nature's Wrath) *
SPEC 1-1 (Shades of the Zhentarim) ***
TYMA 1-1 (Elder Wisdom) *
WATE 1-1 (Heirloom) *******
Level 4-7
AGLA 1-2 (At the Foot of the Lighthouse)
AKAN 1-2 (The Depths of Airspur)
BALD 1-2 (The Night I Called the Undead Out)
CORE 1-4 (Crystal Clear)
CORE 1-5 (Taken)
CORM 1-2 (Gangs of Wheloon)
DALE 1-2 (Blades for Daggerdale)
DRAG 1-2 (The Thin Grey Line)
EAST 1-2 (Marauder's Spear)
IMPI 1-2 (Breaking Point)
LURU 1-2 (The Gibbous Moon)
MOON 1-2 (The Sea Drake)
TYMA 1-2 (Taking Stock of the Situation)
WATE 1-2 (Dark Secrets of Downshadow)

Based on input collected in this thread so far, it seems clear that CORE 1-2, CORE 1-3 and CORM 1-1 are big hits with the player base.
I don't know what are must play except maybe if looking for Quest mods.

I have only played 1-4 (and not all of them)

My faves so far are
DALE1-1
ADAP1-1
EAST1-1

Enjoyed
CORM1-1
BALD1-1
AGLA1-1
I've got a lot of "me too" stuff (for example, my list includes the CORE1-2/1-6 and CORE1-3/1-4/1-7 quest trees and all Cormyr adventures), but I want to particularly call out IMPI1-3 as a stellar adventure. There are (for good reason) few adventures that can generate true turning points in how characters perceive their world and/or the role they play in it as a result of actions taken and those actions' consequences, and the events of this adventure played a significant role in changing one of my characters' perspectives on who he is and why he does things.
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
I've got a lot of "me too" stuff (for example, my list includes the CORE1-2/1-6 and CORE1-3/1-4/1-7 quest trees and all Cormyr adventures), but I want to particularly call out IMPI1-3 as a stellar adventure. There are (for good reason) few adventures that can generate true turning points in how characters perceive their world and/or the role they play in it as a result of actions taken and those actions' consequences, and the events of this adventure played a significant role in changing one of my characters' perspectives on who he is and why he does things.

Thanks John! It's always great to hear such wonderful feedback about one's work.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
My favorite, hands down, is LURU 1-1. The story and the resolution at the end really made the module for me. The encounters were interesting, and didn't feel like the author was making something contrived just to use a favorite monster or trap.
Hmm, I wonder if I just played a really bad run of LURU. It was actually pretty awful when I played it with only one good encounter in the whole thing... but maybe I just had a bad mix of variables (DM, players, time of day, etc).

I do love my glowing eyes, though - just wish they mattered more
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
My players really enjoyed AGLA 1-1. The faerie challenge is just too much fun to roleplay. The boss fight was pretty rough for a bunch of brand new characters. It came down to the sorcerer and an archer battling it out! However, my players say this was one of their favorites.

BALD1-1 was OK. It's a little tough doing 4 essentially disjointed tasks.
Obviously adventure enjoyability varies greatly with the GM and Players at the table, not to mention what specifically you look for, and while most of this stuff has been said I feel I'll chime in, having done all the current 1-4s and 4-7s:

1-4s:
AGLA 1-1, Lost Temple of the Fey Gods- just plain solid in all areas.
CORE 1-2, Radiant Vessel if Thesk- ending is hilarious, and Jonster Yate is my hero.
CORE 1-3, Sense of Wonder- just good in all areas, and *gasp* a well thought out puzzle.
BALD 1-1, Flames of Initiation- I know lots of little tasks aren't everyone's favorite, but I always like things that assist immersing people in the setting, and I felt this adventure (and to a lesser extent, BALD 1-2) did a great job of that. Plus it's nice when adventures don't feel like deus ex machina.

4-7s:
CORM 1-2: Gangs of Wheloon nothing to say that hasn't been said in this thread, except that it's amusing to see players at the table snapping in time.
CORE 1-4: Crystal Clear- just very well thought out, immersive, challenging, and highly adaptable to GM/Player style preferences. Personally, I like adventures that give you more information than box text and encounter information.

7-10s: (I've only played a few, but...)
IMPI 1-3: If you're looking for a challenging adventure, look no further....and remember the death charity clause is really nice. :-) Avoid if you don't like highly difficult combat encounters. I enjoyed it immensely though. There are other good things to say as well but I don't want to spoil anything.
CORM 1-3: Very fun, and as usual, you can do it in many different ways. I think the Cormyr writers deserve some cookies.

Can't Miss Regions:
Cormyr
Dalelands
Baldur's Gate
Core (I know that's just the misc. category but they have all been great IMO.)

There are of course other great adventures and regions but I will only blather on so much....

Ideally, people can read this thread and notice large trends.....
My only disappointment with this adventure was that due to the LFR structure you can't use it as a stepping stone to world domination.

Just wait for CORM1-6! Legends foretell the coming of the Queen, and the sages shudder at the sight of signs and dark omens that bode ill for Cormyr.

I've already said to much...
Just wait for CORM1-6! Legends foretell the coming of the Queen, and the sages shudder at the sight of signs and dark omens that bode ill for Cormyr.

I've already said to much...

CORM1-6: The Wedding

King Foril of Cormyr is looking for a wife. Prophecies abound about the woman who will take the throne, but more importantly, the city prepares for a wedding celebration. Help out by running around town and doing random tasks to succeed at skill challenges. A two-round Living Forgotten Realms module set in the city of Suzail for PCs of level 1-4.

That is so wrong on so many levels......Laughing

Sign In to post comments