LFR FAQ

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IN THIS THREAD.
If you need to comment, please do so in the appropriate thread.

Living Forgotten Realms FAQ

Characters

Q. Can I play a Warforged/Minotaur/Gnoll/Artificer/Barbarian/New Option of the Month/etc.?

A. All races and classes (as well as items (other than artifacts and intelligent items), feats, rituals, formulas, etc.) in Dragon are open for use in RPGA play if they are included in the compiled issue at the end of the month it was published in. If it is not in the compiled issue, you cannot use it. This was confirmed by Chris Tulach in the Yahoo message group and was reposted in these forums here. There is a handy reference on legal player options in this thread.  The list is also has its own page in the LFR Group's Wiki.

Q. What about preview classes? Can I play a Druid/Warden/etc.?

A. Same answer. If it isn't in the compiled version of Dragon, you cannot use it in an RPGA game. For example: The Bard had a preview published in Dragon #369 in the Ampersand article. It ended up in the compiled version so it was allowable in RPGA games (including LFR).  Although it later appeared in PHB2, so once it was officially released, the Dragon version became obsolete.  See the rules in the CCG on using the most up to date rules.

Q. But those preview classes are in the Rules Compendium/Character Builder. That means I can use them, right?

A. No. The Rules Compendium/Character Builder is a rules resource for RPGA games, much like the Monster Manual or Dungeon Masters Guide is. It is not, however, a player resource, nor are they Campaign Rules documents. In other words, you cannot go to the Rules Compendium/CB to select a character option that is not published in another legal player resource anymore than you can freely go to the Monster Manual and choose a monster race to make as your character. Valid Player Resources and the dates they become legal are listed in the chart on page 2 of the CCG.

Q. Well, what about Hybrids?  They are in the Character Builder and if I make one it says it is RPGA legal.

A. Still not legal.  First off, the article in Dragon Magazone explicitly said it was not a legal option for use int he RPGA until further notice.  Secondly, the campaign file that is in the Character Builder update is never completely correct.  As was stated before, the CB does not dictate campaign rules and the legality of Hybrids has not changed.

Q. Can I play a race in the Monster Manual/MM2? They have stats in the back.

A. No. The Character Creation Guide, on page 2, has a chart that shows what books/sources are allowable player resources. The Monster Manual is not on that list. The only way you could play a race out of them is with campaign documentation, such as the various promo rewards cards that allow creation of Orcs from the MM, Kenku from the MM2, or Bladelings from the Manual of the Planes. However, see the next FAQ entry as well.

Q. If a rewards card race is later published in a usable Player Resource that makes it Open, can I continue to use the Monster Manual version?

A. No. The most up to date rules source must be used. Once the race is open for play (such as the Gnome in PHB2 or the Shadar-kai in Dragon 372) you must use the rules from the new source. You also no longer have to have the creation card in your stack.

Q. Can I use the Scales of War backgrounds for my character?

A. Yes. Per the most recent CCG (1.9) you may utilize other non-FR backgrounds for your PC, however you may only choose one background to receive a benefit from.

Q. Can I build a character that is higher than first level? My friends are higher level/an event is only offering higher level mods/I hate playing 1st level PCs. There are rules for it in the CCG document.

A. No. Each campaign/event has its own appendix in the CCG which gives additional rules for character creation.  All LFR characters must start at first level and work their way up. Some campaigns or one shot events may allow for higher level characters to be built.  The LFR appendix makes no such allowance.

Q. I heard that people were being allowed to play higher level PCs/non-standard races at GenCon?  What gives?

A. There was a lot of confusion at this year's GenCon (2009).  However, the rules of the campaign have not changed.  LFR characters start at 1st level and work their way up and only allowed races from player resources may be taken.

Q. Can I worship a dead God? Can I worship a pantheon?

A. No. The CCG refers you to the FRPG and FRCS for a list of available deities. If the deity you want to worship is not on that list, you cannot use them as your patron deity. This has been repeated by campaign administration on more than one occasion. UPDATE: As of CCG 1.9 it explicitly says you must choose an existing deity. It also says that if you are a Divine character (or any class that requires a deity choice) you may only choose one deity to worship.

Q. If I live in Australia, does that mean any character I make must have the Dragon Coast background?

A. No, you can use any background listed in the FRPG for your character. There is no restriction on region based on real world location for playing or running games.

Q. I heard that there are new power cards in the Player's Handbook Heroes miniatures product. Are these powers legal for play?

A. Yes, the powers found in the Player's Handbook Heroes sets are legal for RPGA play on the date of the product's release.

Items

Q. Can I upgrade a magic item by paying the difference in cost?

A. You can upgrade the enhancement bonus (and only the enhancement bonus) of your weapon, implement, armor or neck item (e.g., turn a +1 longsword into a +2 longsword) without the need for any ritual, by simply paying the difference in cost between the two items, so long as the level of the upgraded version is less than or equal to your level.

Q. What if I want to make other changes to a magic item?

A. The Enchant Magic Item ritual can be used to add a property to a magic item without one (e.g., turn a +1 longsword into a +1 flaming longsword). The Transfer Enchantment ritual can be used to move magical qualities from one magic item to another (e.g., move the "+1 flaming" from a longsword to a javelin). In either case, you must follow the rules for these rituals, as given in the Player's Handbook (page 304) and Adventurer's Vault (page 198). If those rules do not allow you to do something without DM approval (e.g., turning a +1 thundering weapon into a +1 thunderburst weapon) then you cannot do it.

Q. Can I upgrade a magic item by taking an item bundle from a mod that is a higher level version of what I currently have?

A. You can take the item bundle, but it still counts as a found magic item. You don't get to save that slot just because you have a lower level version of the item in question.

Q. Can I buy Alchemical Items out of Adventurer's Vault?

A. Yes, you can purchase them like you can purchase any other magic item in the game (the item level has to be less than or equal to your character's level). This was confirmed in this thread by an LFR admin.

Q. What can I do if an erratum changes a Item I have and I no longer want that Item?

A. The CCG says to use the most up to date rules and that the Rules Compendium is a legal rules source. This means that, unless otherwise officially noted, there are no refunds of gp/item slots for items with errata. This doesn't mean that the RPGA won't make any special rulings on a case-by-case basis, but if one isn't forthcoming, it is best to treat it as a standard situation.

Q. So how does this one magic item per level and "found item slot" thing work?

A. First, the restriction on magic items is only for items you take from treasure bundles at the end of an adventure. You can purchase as many as you wish (following the normal restrictions on doing so as listed in the CCG). So at first level you can have 1 found magic item. You can have 2 at 2nd level, etc. once you use a slot to take an item, that slot is gone forever, even if you sell the item off. This type of allegory has been used previously to explain how the system works: Whenever you gain a new level, you gain a found item slot. Think of it as a ticket. So when you level you get a ticket. You can exchange that ticket for a magic item that is part of the treasure bundles at the end of a mod or you can hold onto it to exchange at a later time. Once you turn in the ticket for the item, the item is yours. If you get rid of the item in some way (sell it, destroy it, lose it, drop it on purpose, etc.) you do not get your ticket back. So choose wisely.

Q. Can I use a Holy Symbol for a specific non-FR deity like the ones found in Adventurer's Vault?

A. Yes. It would apply to the FR equivalent deity. The related discussion was here. Also note that there are no equivalences for the Eberron gods, so their specific holy symbols are not able to be used in LFR. The only non-FR deities given equivalents are:

Avandra -> Tymora
Erathis -> Gond
Kord -> Tempus
Melora -> Silvanus
Pelor -> Amaunator
Raven Queen -> Kelemvor
Sehanine -> Selune
Bahamut, Correllon, and Moradn are unchanged.

General LFR

Q. Is the D&D FAQ an official rules reference for LFR?

A. Yes, as of the June 2009 CCG update, the FAQs are considered a rules source along with several other sources. Check the CCG for listed sources. And as always, remember that a rules source is not necessarily a player resource.

Q. What's the difference between a player resource and a rules source?

A. A player resource is something that you may take legal character options out of.  There is a chart of current player resources (and any restrictions on those resources) in a chart on page 2 of the CCG.

A rules source is something that you can use to get up to date rules for the various character options that you take for your PCs.  (FAQs, Errata, etc. are part of this)  The CCG is the only source for campaign rules.  No rules source can ever change campaign rules except where explicitly mentioned (such as Dragon articles which may state that they are not legal for RPGA play as mentioned in the CCG).

Q. How do we handle diseases in LFR?

A. According to LFR Admin Shawn Merwin: The disease progression should be played out at the table. Assume several extended rests happen, until the disease is cured naturally, until it reaches its final state, or until it is cured with a ritual or power. If it reaches final effect, those effects remain until the disease is cured, even between adventures.

Q. Can I pay an NPC to perform Cure Disease or some other ritual for me?

A. If it is not stated in the module, whether you are able to find an NPC able to perform the ritual is up to the DM, as is the NPC's level and skill. The standard price for an NPC-performed ritual is 120% of the component cost, as confirmed by LFR admins.

Q. What can I do if an erratum changes a power I use?

A. As of this point, the only option is to retrain the power when you can normally do so. This doesn't mean that the RPGA won't make any special rulings on a case-by-case basis, but if one isn't forthcoming, it is best to treat it like any other retrain option. The CCG says to use the most up to date rules and that the Rules Compendium is a legal rules source.

Q. What things should I know before I play my first game?

A. There is a great post on this by Teos located in this thread. Also, make sure you read the LFR appendix in the RPGA Character Creation Guidelines document located on the RPGA Downloads page. You may want to check out the General RPGA FAQ also.

Q. The Character Builder says that my character is legal/illegal, is this valid?

A. The Character Builder has an option to allow or disallow rules items from its sources under the Manage -> Campaign Settings tab. This can only be done in the full version of the Character Builder.  Please note that the LFR campaign file distributed with the updates in never 100% correct.  I am hosting an updated campaign file on my website: The Dungeon Crawl.  Check on the resources page.

Q. Can the Favor of Clan Melairkyn be used in LFR?

A. Yes. It allows you to have an additional card in your stack. The official pronouncement was here.

Adventures

Q. Are the preview adventures (PREV) valid LFR adventures?

A. No. While billed as preview adventures for the Living Forgotten Realms campaign, they have no bearing on the campaign. Characters who play the PREV adventures get no rewards for playing them (xp, gp, items, etc.).

Q. Can a character outside of the level range of a mod play up or down to be in it?

A. No. This is mentioned in both the LFR Appendix of the CCG and in every adventure boiler plate. If the mod says it's for level 4-7, then only PCs in that level range can play in it. No exceptions.

Q. Can a 3rd level PC play in Scepter Tower of Spellguard? It says it's for characters between levels 2 and 5. What if they go above level 5 in the mod?

A. The LFR adaptation document specifies that the mod can only be started by 1st or 2nd level characters. So no, a 3rd level PC may not start the module. Once you start playing the adaptable, that PC can not play in any other mod until you are done. If you do, that PC cannot go back to playing SToS. If you go above 5th level during the course of play, you can still continue playing it. The only restriction is on what level you can begin it at.

Q. When is Black Cloaks and Bitter Rivalries (the Zhentarim quest card module) being released?

A. Origins 2009. It is for level 7-10 PCs.

Q. I heard there's a program for making maps using the dungeon tiles. Is that true?

A. Yes. It originally was on the WotC website, but their support of it seems to have discontinued. You can find it in a Yahoo group.  Most recently they have begun to program a new version using Python.

Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Reserved
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Reserved... this shoudl be enough.