Working on a LFR FAQ

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
WolfStar asked for someone to take up the mantle of compiling this, so I figured I would work on it.

What I am looking for from you folks is any suggestions on what should be put in the FAQ. i.e. specific things that seem to come up a lot. For example, the "Can i play X race or Y class from Dragon?" or "Can't we make a higher level character to start with in LFR?", etc. The FAQ is for LFR related stuff, so core rules questions will be left out of it unless it has something to do with LFR specifically. And anyone who suggests such a thing will get a boot to the head. :D

I will be making a FAQ thread, but please comment in this thread, not in the FAQ thread.

Hopefully we can get WolfStar to sticky the FAQ.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Q. Can I upgrade a magic item by paying the difference in cost?
A. Yes, with some limitations. The campaign allows you to upgrade an item's enhancement bonus (and only the enhancement bonus) by paying the difference in cost. If you wish to upgrade anything else, you must utilize the Enchant Magic Item ritual and follow the rules published for it in the Player's Handbook (page 304) and in Adventurer's Vault (page 198). If those rules do not allow you to do something (for example: upgrading from a flaming weapon to a Sunblade) then you cannot do it.

I would probably phrase this answer slightly differently:

Q. Can I upgrade a magic item by paying the difference in cost?
A. You can upgrade the enhancement bonus (and only the enhancement bonus) of your weapon, implement, armor or neck item (e.g., turn a +1 longsword into a +2 longsword) without the need for any ritual, by simply paying the difference in cost between the two items, so long as the level of the upgraded version is less than or equal to your level.

Q. What if I want to make other changes to a magic item?
A. The Enchant Magic Item ritual can be used to add a property to a magic item without one (e.g., turn a +1 longsword into a +1 flaming longsword). The Transfer Enchantment ritual can be used to move magical qualities from one magic item to another (e.g., move the "+1 flaming" from a longsword to a javelin). In either case, you must follow the rules for these rituals, as given in the Player's Handbook (page 304) and Adventurer's Vault (page 198). If those rules do not allow you to do something without DM approval (e.g., turning a +1 thundering weapon into a +1 thunderburst weapon) then you cannot do it.

Rather soon, the campaign is also going to need to deal with the question of "Can I upgrade a non-enhancement bonus item (like a shield or gauntlets) to a higher-level version of that item?" Since the current answer to that question would be "Sorry, while Adventurer's Vault says that you can use the Enchant Magic Item ritual to upgrade an item to a version 5 levels higher, non-enhancement bonus items go up in 10 level increments, so strictly speaking, no", which is a fairly nonsensical (though correct) answer, we should probably leave that question aside for the moment.

I would also add a question after the "how to handle disease" question, referring to the post Shawn Merwin did about NPC ritual performance (even though I'm not really a fan of this rule nor the lack of any official inclusion in the CCG), something along the lines of:

Q. Can I pay an NPC to perform Cure Disease or some other ritual for me?
A. If it is not stated in the module, whether you are able to find an NPC able to perform a particular ritual is up to the DM, as is the NPC's level and skill. The standard price for an NPC-performed ritual is 120% of the component cost, as confirmed by LFR admin.

-- Brian Gibbons.
The standard price for an NPC-performed ritual is 120% of the component cost, as confirmed by LFR admin.

I suppose that also applies to upgrading items, for those characters who are unable to use the Enchant Item ritual themselves?
I suppose that also applies to upgrading items, for those characters who are unable to use the Enchant Item ritual themselves?

If you are upgrading an item pursuant to the "Magic items that have an enhancement bonus can be upgraded" rules in the RPGA CCG, you follow the rules given in the CCG. (You pay the difference in cost between the items, and we don't know or care how this was accomplished in-game.)

If you are making changes to an item pursuant to the Enchant Magic Item ritual, you follow the rules given in the ritual. (If you are performing the ritual yourself, you pay the difference in cost between the items; if you can't perform the ritual on your own, you either use a scroll and pay 175 gp + the difference in cost, or hire an NPC to perform the ritual and pay 120% of the difference in cost.)

-- Brian Gibbons.
You probably should group the q/a's based upon topic.

For example 'Character Creation' or 'Magic Items' or the like,

James
I thought about that, but wasn't sure what all i was goign to come up with at first.

Well, the question remains (at least I have never seen it definitively answered... maybe v. 1.8 of the CCG will answer it) if players can hire NPCs to perform any rituals. The only ones mentioned so far are Raise Dead (in the CCG) and Cure Disease (by Shawn Merwin).

We can certainly interpret it to mean we can have NPC spell casters cast whatever ritual, but we have yet to see a hard and fast rule on it, so I have left it alone for now. I do need to add the part about hiring an NPC for Remove Disease.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
If you are making changes to an item pursuant to the Enchant Magic Item ritual, you follow the rules given in the ritual. (If you are performing the ritual yourself, you pay the difference in cost between the items; if you can't perform the ritual on your own, you either use a scroll and pay 175 gp + the difference in cost, or hire an NPC to perform the ritual and pay 120% of the difference in cost.)

All right. And I've heard a rumor that this is going to change soon, i.e. that characters would be able to convert a vanilla sword into a flaming sword at cost price. Is there any truth to that rumor?
What can I do if errata changes a power I use?

What can I do if errate changes a Item I have and I no longer want that Item?
Good questions, but we'll have to wait on an official answer before they're posted.

All right. And I've heard a rumor that this is going to change soon, i.e. that characters would be able to convert a vanilla sword into a flaming sword at cost price. Is there any truth to that rumor?

We'll know when the CCG comes out. As it is, you can do that now with the EMI ritual.
Sticky request going in.

D9 - a PM is coming your way shortly.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Good questions, but we'll have to wait on an official answer before they're posted.

Might want to post these questions stating that we are waiting on a offical response.

Here's another question, which is waiting on a offical response.

Can you retrain one of your PP class powers when you level?
Here's another question, which is waiting on a offical response.

Can you retrain one of your PP class powers when you level?

This is a core rules issue, not an LFR one. So that won't go on the list.

*boot to the head* :D
This is a core rules issue, not an LFR one. So that won't go on the list.

*boot to the head* :D

/emote ducks boot

So true, but I'm hoping here they might actually answer it.
It would be nice to address reporting and known reporting issues. For example, the importance of logging into the RPGA account before playing, knowing the info that goes on a tracking form, filling it out legibly, DMs knowing what to fill in (don't write down a potion choice where the bundle goes), etc. I have a post on this you could use. While not just an LFR issue, lots of questions come up about this. No reason not to cover it.

There also seem to be a lot of posts with "how do I get started" and "how do I play online". There have been answers on these forums.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

It would be nice to address reporting and known reporting issues. For example, the importance of logging into the RPGA account before playing, knowing the info that goes on a tracking form, filling it out legibly, DMs knowing what to fill in (don't write down a potion choice where the bundle goes), etc. I have a post on this you could use. While not just an LFR issue, lots of questions come up about this. No reason not to cover it.

There also seem to be a lot of posts with "how do I get started" and "how do I play online". There have been answers on these forums.

Sounds like things that could be addressed in WolfStar's RPGA FAQ in the RPGA General board, and then have the LFR FAQ link to the RPGA FAQ.
For reporting issues, a great big note in 72pt bold italic making sure that everyone knows that paper records are the only ones that matter would be nice. I have found a lot of new players rely on the tracker for their character records. Part of the reason some people are so worried about the online tracker being wrong is that they have not been keeping good paper records because there has been no emphasis put on it.
This little signature is my official and insignificant protest to the (not so new now) community redesign. The layout is lousy. The colour scheme burns the eyes. The wiki is a crippled monstrosity. So many posters have abandoned this site that some major forums are going days without posts. The 4e General Discussion board regularly has posts on the front page from two or even three days ago. This is pathetic. Since I have to assume Wizards has a vested interest in an active community I wish someone in charge would fix this mess.
Sounds like things that could be addressed in WolfStar's RPGA FAQ in the RPGA General board, and then have the LFR FAQ link to the RPGA FAQ.

RPGA FAQ work is slated for later this week.

If there are things people want/need me to update - please post them in the RPGA FAQ discussion thread so I don't lose track.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

These are all good additions. I will get them in as soon as I can. (i.e. i really need to get my behind to work right now. :P)
BTW, since Wolfstar has been dragging his feet linking to his updated Campaign Settings file for the CB, I listed the needed changes in the FAQ if yuo want to do it yourself. :D
BTW, since Wolfstar has been dragging his feet linking to his updated Campaign Settings file for the CB, I listed the needed changes in the FAQ if yuo want to do it yourself. :D

You might want to note in the FAQ as to which options are "Card Required" and which changes are for everyone.

Bladelings, for example. If you don't know that the card is requried, it would be easy, using your settings, to create a Bladeling and think it was generically legal for LFR...
What can I do if errata changes a power I use?

What can I do if errate changes a Item I have and I no longer want that Item?

There is no clear answer to these questions. It all depends on the nature of the change. The exact mechanism is determined on an individual basis. In most cases, the PC is stuck with the change until it can be changed through the regular channels (retraining, selling the item). If the change is extreme other options are going to be offered.

Two recent examples of "extreme" changes:
- Surge armor change in SPEC1-1 (the August 2008 version, not the current available version): free change into gold selection or another item from the treasure bundles
- Veteran's armor errata: one time change for another armor of the level of veteran's armor or lower. Find item slot remains filled. Item can be sold, but by the normal rules (20% value). [Official announcement is going to be posted on the web, but this was announced at DDXP Members Meeting.]

Pieter Sleijpen
RPGA LFR Global Administrator
I'm not sure if this is a frequently asked question, buuuutt...

A lot (and I mean a lot) of the LFR / RPGA stuff on the WOTC website is five or six years out of date, and this isn't always obvious from reading it. This can be rather confusing. Is it going to be fixed at some point?
Yes, the RPGA is working on an update of the website. More news certainly will follow on that regards.
Here's another question I've come across -

Bundle Rewards
When a Player picks his bundle rewards. Can he pick both a Item and a Ritual?

This I'm assuming is no. Which then brought up this question.

Could a player purchase a bundle reward with his gold if its a higher level then him? Without using one of his treasure slots.

I'm also assuming this is a no.
Could a player purchase a bundle reward with his gold if its a higher level then him? Without using one of his treasure slots.

I don't think it's mathematically possible for a LFR character to possess enough gold to purchase an item of higher level than himself.

Well, except by taking Found Items of higher level and selling them, perhaps, but that is rather defeating the point.

I'm also assuming this is a no.

I see no reason to believe the answer would be anything other than "no". The only difference between what you describe, and a player simply saying, "I want to purchase Item X, which is higher than my level" (which the CCG specifically prohibits) is the fact that Item X happens to be in a treasure bundle in the module that the player has just played...and the treasure bundles that a character has "seen" have no bearing at all on what is open to be purchased with gold.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

I don't think it's mathematically possible for a LFR character to possess enough gold to purchase an item of higher level than himself.

What I was talking about here was if
A) The person wanted to use a Treasure slot for a item found in the mod.

B) There was also a Ritual, Potion, or Consumable item that was a higher level then the character which he also wanted to pick up from the same mod.

Now since Rituals & Potions do not take up a found item treasure slot, not sure on the Consumable items, I was wondering if the person could purchase them at full price from that mod.
Which, a character can have enough gold.

Well, except by taking Found Items of higher level and selling them, perhaps, but that is rather defeating the point.

I've never spent any of the gold on my (almost) 5th level character and I can afford 7th level items I think. Maybe 8th - been a while since I checked.

I dunno if the curve will level out later (I imagine it will) so it may only be an issue at low levels.

B) There was also a Ritual, Potion, or Consumable item that was a higher level then the character which he also wanted to pick up from the same mod.

I still don't think it's allowable.

Rituals (both books and scrolls) are specifically listed as treasure bundles (even though they don't count towards the "one item per level" limit). And, "potion plus gold" is listed as a distinct option, separate (and mutually exclusive from) taking a treasure bundle.

Fundamentally: the only way you can gain an item that's higher level than you are is through a treasure reward (bundle or "potion plus gold")...and, there's no way to gain access to more than one item this way per module.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

Now since Rituals & Potions do not take up a found item treasure slot, not sure on the Consumable items, I was wondering if the person could purchase them at full price from that mod.
Which, a character can have enough gold.

Since everything that is in the treasure bundles is allowable player content, as long as you follow the rules for purchasing equipment, you can buy it. (it has to be less than or equal to your level)
I've never spent any of the gold on my (almost) 5th level character and I can afford 7th level items I think. Maybe 8th - been a while since I checked.

Hm, let me check my math.

If you're almost level 5, you would have about 5000 XP. Assuming you never get any Found Magic Items, you're going to have about 1/3rd of that in gold (depending on how many level4-7 modules you've done, because they yield more; high or low tier doesn't make a difference). That just a couple hundred short of a level-6 item.

Ok, so that is higher than "almost level 4". It's not level 8 though.

Note, btw, that a 5-levels-higher item does cost five times as much gold, whereas a 5-levels-higher module does not yield five times as much gold. So I think at higher levels this won't work any more.
Since everything that is in the treasure bundles is allowable player content, as long as you follow the rules for purchasing equipment, you can buy it. (it has to be less than or equal to your level)

That last bit seems to be the issue.

It sounds like Matt12 is asking if a player can buy an item that's over his PC's level, as long as it's a treasure item (ritual or potion) from the module which he just played (and from which that PC has already selected a treasure bundle). And that's what I don't think is allowed.
I got that... sorry, i should have been clearer than mud in my post. It is a no. The LFR rules only allow for purchasing items of your level or lower. You only get them as a treasure bundle or by buying them. You can't buy bundles.

Although the CCG does need some clarification (imagine that! ) as at some points it seems implied that rituals/formulas also follow the level restriction for purchasing them but it isnt spelled out clearly as it always says Magic items specifically (one paragraph lumps rituals/formulas in there also in the explanatory text).

I'll have to put that in the thread Wolfstar started for things to addressing the next CCG.

anyway, i since this is the first time I have ever seen this question pop up, I don't know if it should count as a F.A.Q. Although if everyone else feels it should be included I'll put it in.
Although the CCG does need some clarification (imagine that! ) as at some points it seems implied that rituals/formulas also follow the level restriction for purchasing them but it isnt spelled out clearly as it always says Magic items specifically (one paragraph lumps rituals/formulas in there also in the explanatory text).

Thanks,

It only popped up once for me but it didn't really matter as the character didn't have the money to buy the ritual. It was just one of those, "in case I wanted to do that", type questions.

I was saying "no, you can't do that", but there was enough of a grey area I figured I'd ask.
Got it.
Hye Dragon9

Just a quickie question.. is the

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1140069

up to date and current for classes etc.. I noticed you said to uncheck all but Bard for Charecter Builder.. I thought there was more then that open now ... and yeah soon PHB2 will be out so it all will be MOOT just wondering and I am a bit out of it so figure I would toss the question here..

*smiles*

Thanks IN Advance

Rog 'Brute' GGG

tryin to keep it all straight and on course
Roger 'Brute' GGG
Yes, it is still up to date. At least until the program is updated again. If you saw the original list the newer list of changes is much, much shorter. (They actually took my original list and applied the changes to the campaign file it was distributed with)
Yes, it is still up to date. At least until the program is updated again. If you saw the original list the newer list of changes is much, much shorter. (They actually took my original list and applied the changes to the campaign file it was distributed with)

Technically we could turn a few things on when the PHB2 content becomes legal next week.

But I know I'll certainly understand if you don't wanna update for that "twice" (then and again after the next update).

Got another question for you which seems to come up alot -

Where can I go to find out about Online RPGA LFR?
I think that's handled in the RPGA FAQ... Wolfstar?