SPEC 1-1

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone have an idea when SPEC 1-1 will be made avalible for play? I thought it was suppose to be released in December, but still haven't seen it up yet.

I'd like to run it for some people who didn't make it to GenCon this year.

Thank you for your help.
Matt
It becomes available to play on January 1st.
It's not currently available to choose although if you're clever you can download a copy anyway.
It becomes available to play on January 1st.
It's not currently available to choose although if you're clever you can download a copy anyway.

Really? I even tried booking my planned 1/3/09 event as a retail (failed to see it on the list), but also as a convention, just to see if I could download it now and get some more prep time in. No luck. The 'after the first event date' (and even the seven day notice for convention) was not enough to summoning mojo to make SPEC1-1 appear on the DL list. Sure, I last tried the convention trick last Suturday (7 day notice, remember) but still... the attempted work-around came up empty.

I sure hope they post it today. I do not see them posting it on the holiday (tomorrow), and even if they do post it Friday, that gives only one day of prep work. BLECH!
I don't think you'll be able to even order it until it is released on Jan 1, and with that being a holiday, maybe the 2nd.
Well, it wasn't up yesterday or today.

Looks like I will have to cross my fingers for seeing the SPEC1-1 link Friday morning or I will have to scratch the planned event.
Again with the release delays. I contacted DCI three times and they assured me constantly that the mod would be released on the 1st. Here it is, 1PM, and the mod still isn't released. Now, assuming it comes out even on the 2nd, I'll have less than 24 hours to prep it for running early on the 3rd.

If nobody was going to be there to release the mod today, they could have just said they'd upload it on the 2nd, 3rd, or whenever. That wouldn't have been upsetting. I would have just scheduled SPEC1-1 at one of the other 4 game days I'm hosting this week.

Now, I've got 6 players coming to play the Special and no mod to run for them. That's VERY upsetting.

I'm not saying that the RPGA needs to pump out more adventures at a faster rate. They've released TONS of content in the past 6 months. It's just that, especially with a mod as anticipated as the Core Special, they really need to stick to their commitments about release dates.

More and more, I'm thinking that I should just run a home game.
C'mon, guys. Where's my mod?

I know it's finished, because I've played it. You promised to have it out on 1/1; I promised my players I'd run it for them on 1/3.

What's going on?
Wizards of the Coast corporate offices will be closed starting today due to weather. This will put us into our planned closure for the holidays which will last until January 4th. We will be back in the office on January 5th, 2009.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I suspect this might have something to do with it.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
We live in an information age. No one should have to "be at work" to push a button to get a mod out.

Disastrous web work by WOTC.

Edit: And more and more my username does not need to be changed back to its correct form.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I suspect this might have something to do with it.

Now, I'm wondering when they planned to be closed for the holidays.

I can see bad weather keeping people from getting things done before Christmas. That's excusable. Announcements like that should be posted on the main RPGA site, though (sorry if it was and I missed it).

It sounds like they were already planning on being closed for Christmas and not opening back up until the 5th, though. So, why did they promise the release of SPEC1-1 on the 1st if no one would be there to upload it?
Haha! I just checked my inbox and someone sent me the "clever trick" alluded to in this thread. Just click [EDIT: message me for details if you're running the mod and can't download it] and you can download the mod.

Sorry if posting that upsets anyone, but the game's supposed to be released already and people want to play.
Now, I'm wondering when they planned to be closed for the holidays.

Wizards is always closed for a holiday break, usually from just before Christmas to a few days after New Years. Only a very few key staff (such as customer service) are on hand during that period. They probably don't announce it anymore because it's just assumed that it'll happen. (I know, not everyone's aware of it and I'm not necessarily agreeing with that mindset, but it's probably the case.)
Haha! I just checked my inbox and someone sent me the "clever trick" alluded to in this thread. Just click and you can download the mod.

Sorry if posting that upsets anyone, but the game's supposed to be released already and people want to play.

Of course - keep in mind that while this will let you play the mod, you still can't sanction/report it until its in the database.

That's probably of lesser importance to most people, as paper records tend to last until reporting, but all the same, worth being aware of.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

We live in an information age. No one should have to "be at work" to push a button to get a mod out.

Disastrous web work by WOTC.

Edit: And more and more my username does not need to be changed back to its correct form.

This is exactly why someone may need to be "at work" to push a button. Some companies, due to this being 'the information age', do not allow employees to access their servers from an outside source. There have been too many known issues with information leaks, and security breaches, to allow this (or at least I suspect this is why).

So unfortunately there has to be someone there.

I can't access my work e-mail from home for a similar reason. A lot of companies do this.

Wizards is always closed for a holiday break, usually from just before Christmas to a few days after New Years. Only a very few key staff (such as customer service) are on hand during that period. They probably don't announce it anymore because it's just assumed that it'll happen. (I know, not everyone's aware of it and I'm not necessarily agreeing with that mindset, but it's probably the case.)

Many if not all major companies take off through the holidays and do not return until the Monday after New Year's Day. This happens with everything from new channels, sports talk radio, and even WotC/Hasbro (or at least I would suspect). There are usually alternate ways to download and/or obtain the module in question. If I'm unable to download something more than likely someone in my group has ran the mod and I borrow it from them until I can properly report it.
Problems with outside access? If the WotC system can't be set to make X module go live at Y time, they need either new web gnomes or new minions for the web gnomes. The badgers are not cutting it.
This little signature is my official and insignificant protest to the (not so new now) community redesign. The layout is lousy. The colour scheme burns the eyes. The wiki is a crippled monstrosity. So many posters have abandoned this site that some major forums are going days without posts. The 4e General Discussion board regularly has posts on the front page from two or even three days ago. This is pathetic. Since I have to assume Wizards has a vested interest in an active community I wish someone in charge would fix this mess.
Many if not all major companies take off through the holidays and do not return until the Monday after New Year's Day. This happens with everything from new channels, sports talk radio, and even WotC/Hasbro (or at least I would suspect). There are usually alternate ways to download and/or obtain the module in question. If I'm unable to download something more than likely someone in my group has ran the mod and I borrow it from them until I can properly report it.

Yes, but if they knew ahead of time they weren't going to be there to post the mod, they shouldn't have promised to have the mod up on the 1st.

I would have been perfectly happy if they released it on the 5th (or any other random day). I'm upset that they said the 1st, but still haven't released it. If they knew ahead of time that they were going to be on break and no one would be there to make it happen on the 1st, that's even more upsetting.

You can't really blame the weather, as they do for CORE1-4, because SPEC1-1 wasn't set to release during the storm that prevented anybody from getting in to work. Apparently, someone needed to be there over vacation to do it and I'm pretty sure they knew no one was volunteering for that task.

In any case, my anger would have been sated if they'd even just sent someone in the loop to the message boards or posted something on the main RPGA webpage announcing and apologizing for the delay. Then, I wouldn't have been sitting around all day on the 1st and 2nd wondering if I was gonna be able to make my game go off.

I love D&D, I enjoy gaming with my LFR group. However, I often feel like the company behind the game is operating heedless of the players that keep them in business. They make promises that they don't seem to have any intention of even trying to keep and offer no apologies or explanations when they fail to deliver (here I'm thinking primarily of the DDI fiasco--not RPGA mods). Whether or not that's true is debatable. As an organizer and (more importantly) gamer often left hanging in the dark, that's the way it feels though.
The holidays screw everything up (sometimes even our own family gatherings). It happens every year.
I didnt think the specials would be released until after they appearaed at Gencon and then DDE and i thought DDE was in Feb or march sometime so i wasnt anticipating the specials until spring, but if its coming out this month great!! I been anticipating it since i missed going to gencon last year for the first time in like 8 years.
The holidays screw everything up (sometimes even our own family gatherings). It happens every year.

Sure the holidays screw things up. But announcing that something is being released at a time that you know it can't be released is not the holidays screwing things up.
This little signature is my official and insignificant protest to the (not so new now) community redesign. The layout is lousy. The colour scheme burns the eyes. The wiki is a crippled monstrosity. So many posters have abandoned this site that some major forums are going days without posts. The 4e General Discussion board regularly has posts on the front page from two or even three days ago. This is pathetic. Since I have to assume Wizards has a vested interest in an active community I wish someone in charge would fix this mess.
Sure the holidays screw things up. But announcing that something is being released at a time that you know it can't be released is not the holidays screwing things up.

I think your missing my point from previously. The information that employees of WotC posses could have an impact on the company financially. To allow access to their database from an external source could compromise this information (ie: a book being leaked). This is perhaps why no one can simply be out of the WotC offices and send a "upload" command to release the SPEC 1-1 mod for access on the RPGA Judge site. There have been numerous stories of information being compromised (not WotC, just in general) because someone has had access to a company's server from their home (or other external source). In this current economic climate I'm not surprised that, in this instance, someone would have to physically be at the WotC HQ in order to simply hit "upload" on the SPEC 1-1 mod.

This is also why I stated, as another method, to seek alternate methods of obtaining the mod if it has been scheduled with your group and can not be changed.

This is similar to having one store in town being out of (insert food here). One would think they would ask a neighbor or a nearby family member if they could borrow the food they seek.

I hope I don't sound snarky with this, as this is not my intent, however if I worked for WotC and was facing weather situations, and the holidays, I know that posting one mod would be the farthest thing from my mind.

The last I remember this mod was legal for RPGA sanctioned regular play after 01-01-2009, which sounds different from "we will post this at 12:00am on 01-01-2009".

I'm sorry that this caused such an inconvenience, however in the grand scheme of things this doesn't even cause a ripple. WotC will get it posted. Give them some more time.
Haha! I just checked my inbox and someone sent me the "clever trick" alluded to in this thread. Just click [EDIT: message me for details if you're running the mod and can't download it] and you can download the mod.

Ok, can someone please share with me? I too had planned to run this today....and can't....
Did you try asking your region's Event Manager for a copy of SPEC1-1?

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I think your missing my point from previously. The information that employees of WotC posses could have an impact on the company financially. To allow access to their database from an external source could compromise this information (ie: a book being leaked). This is perhaps why no one can simply be out of the WotC offices and send a "upload" command to release the SPEC 1-1 mod for access on the RPGA Judge site. There have been numerous stories of information being compromised (not WotC, just in general) because someone has had access to a company's server from their home (or other external source). In this current economic climate I'm not surprised that, in this instance, someone would have to physically be at the WotC HQ in order to simply hit "upload" on the SPEC 1-1 mod.

I think you're missing our point. I'm not arguing that WotC should let anyone do anything from home. If they really don't allow that, I can completely understand why.

My issue is that, IF nobody could activate the file for download from home AND they knew nobody was going to be in the office, then they never should have said the mod would be available on the 1st.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. If WotC would simply stick to this simple principle, there wouldn't be an issue and they wouldn't continue to alienate their customer base with a string of promises they fail to deliver on.

This is similar to having one store in town being out of (insert food here). One would think they would ask a neighbor or a nearby family member if they could borrow the food they seek.

Except that, whereas everyone I know has sugar; nobody I know has SPEC1-1.

I hope I don't sound snarky with this, as this is not my intent, however if I worked for WotC and was facing weather situations, and the holidays, I know that posting one mod would be the farthest thing from my mind.

I wouldn't, either. But the weather wasn't an issue with SPEC1-1, as it was with CORE1-4. Again, I'm not saying someone should have been forced to go in over the holidays to upload the mod. I'm saying the release date should have been set to a day when somebody would be in there to do so.

The last I remember this mod was legal for RPGA sanctioned regular play after 01-01-2009, which sounds different from "we will post this at 12:00am on 01-01-2009".

Well, the play can't be sanctioned without ordering the mod and the mod wasn't available on the event sanctioning page. Also, DCI assured me the mod would be available for download on the first. I asked specifically because I knew it was the holidays and didn't want to disappoint any of my players if it wasn't really gonna be available for any reason.

I'm sorry that this caused such an inconvenience, however in the grand scheme of things this doesn't even cause a ripple. WotC will get it posted. Give them some more time.

In the end, the degree of my anger isn't due to SPEC1-1. It's a string of problems from the quality of product WotC's been putting out to the failed promises and lack of information about DDI.

All of the hype from WotC pointed to DDI being fully functional at or within a few months of 4E's launch. Here we are 7 months later and we've got nothing but a character builder that will only go to 3rd level. Either they thought they were going to be able to fully create the game table and other applications in under a month or they intentionally misled us. Just how much time do you think we should give them before calling foul?
A few points:

1) It's my understanding that the regional administrators have SPEC1-1 and can get you a copy on request. There are other clever individuals who have figured out how to find the URL and download the file.

This doesn't change the fact that it can't be sanctioned yet, but I imagine it was on someone's pre-holiday "to do" list, and then the incliment weather shot that down. You can always play the mod then go back and retroactively sanction/report it at a later date.

It's not impossible, however, that someone simply forgot to turn it on. Things happen.

2) DDI isn't the RPGA. Don't get me wrong - deadlines are deadlines, I sympathize with you on this one. We all hate when is late - I'm a DDI News Guide, there are few people anticipating the collection of softwares more than me.

However, just because DDI has an issue with releasing their software (I, personally, don't believe we were deliberately mistlead, as much as I suspect we were the victims of WotC's own overly optimistic view of development time), doesn't mean that's tied to the RPGA's issue with the database.

I don't know who's job it is to "flip the switch" and put mods into the database, I assume it isn't Chris (or Ian), but instead something they request of the DCI Database team (or the webgnomes, another department is my point).

While Chris can rattle chains, there are other things that are being published constantly for all of WotC's brands, so it likely just has to "take a number' until it gets around to being processed. (note - this is all speculation based on what I've observed - partially in comments from WotC staff, partially from personal experience).

Losing several days of work before the Holidays likely means we just got stuck in the back-half of the queue. Since the release of SPEC1-1 is/was time sensitive, I suspect it will be escalated today/tomorrow.

Regardless - they said it would be available on the 1st, because they expected it would. Alas, bad weather, and then the holidays created a one-two punch that could easily be at fault.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

The LFR regional administrators have SPEC1-1 (and have had it since August when it first came out). Part of the Events Manager's duties is to help game play events in his region so if there is some snafu with the adventure download, check with him or her if they can send you the adventure. Now if it is a new release, the admins probably won't have it sooner than the scheduled release date as we tend to get the adventure when it is sent to the web gnomes.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Okay now its 11:00AM EST and the SPEC 1-1 is still not avaliable for sanctioning.

Since my event isn't until the 18th, I am not concerned with getting a copy but it would be nice to know what is going to be the new release date.

Wolf: I appreciate all that you do for us but i think its about time that someone that is working for WOTC/HASBRO actually stepped in here and gave us some info or at least kept you in the loop cause it seems to me that you are a just a "mushroom" on their information chain.
Regardless of how things would go in a perfect world, it probably is better to have expectations based on reality. The RPGA does not have full control over the web-part of the game. Those who do control the web, have a lot of responsibilities to other parts of Hasbro, parts that likely generate more income and hence gain higher priorities. Besides the web people having problems, there are also be other things that can go wrong at other parts in the chain varying from spam filters eating documents to authors being late and everything in between.

In general premiering dates are met quiet well. There are going to be exceptions with each batch of adventures released due to various reasons. The RPGA gets even bigger complaints when they don't offer a release schedule. Never organize an event around adventures that are not yet available at the time without at least a backup plan. Never expect instant communications either for the exact same reasons adventures are not going to be updated. I know this is frustrating to event organizers, but it is a simple fact of life.

Pieter Sleijpen
RPGA LFR Global Administrators
Life lesson#1: Don't schedule an RPGA mod until the mod is made available.

Life lesson#2: If you do schedule it, regional admins have copies of mods.
This is exactly why someone may need to be "at work" to push a button. Some companies, due to this being 'the information age', do not allow employees to access their servers from an outside source. There have been too many known issues with information leaks, and security breaches, to allow this (or at least I suspect this is why).

So unfortunately there has to be someone there.

Yeah, because it's impossible to set it up ahead of time so it's published automatically on the appropriate date. Obviously somebody's in house pushing a button to publish their web at exactly the right time every night, including Christmas and New Years.

Or maybe, just maybe, they schedule it to post automatically on the appropriate date.
Okay now its 11:00AM EST and the SPEC 1-1 is still not avaliable for sanctioning.

Just to note...that means it was 8:00 A.M. PST, and WotC offices (which are in Washington state, after all) were still closed at that point.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Wolf: I appreciate all that you do for us but i think its about time that someone that is working for WOTC/HASBRO actually stepped in here and gave us some info or at least kept you in the loop cause it seems to me that you are a just a "mushroom" on their information chain.

I do what I can, but as far as the RPGA is concerned I'm nobody official. What little "power" I have comes from the WotC Community Management (forum) team.

This is a two-way street, however. I'll poke Bernie (the new Solice) to see if he can't track Chris down for more information about the status of SPEC1-1. I can't promise he'll get us a reply, but it beats just "hoping".

I do what I can, but as far as the RPGA is concerned I'm nobody official. What little "power" I have comes from the WotC Community Management (forum) team.

This is a two-way street, however. I'll poke Bernie (the new Solice) to see if he can't track Chris down for more information about the status of SPEC1-1. I can't promise he'll get us a reply, but it beats just "hoping".

Thanks Big Guy
Just to note...that means it was 8:00 A.M. PST, and WotC offices (which are in Washington state, after all) were still closed at that point.

good point....I didn't do the math....my bad
I think you're missing our point. I'm not arguing that WotC should let anyone do anything from home. If they really don't allow that, I can completely understand why.

My issue is that, IF nobody could activate the file for download from home AND they knew nobody was going to be in the office, then they never should have said the mod would be available on the 1st.

I'll get to this in a min...

Say what you mean and mean what you say. If WotC would simply stick to this simple principle, there wouldn't be an issue and they wouldn't continue to alienate their customer base with a string of promises they fail to deliver on.

How are they alienating customers? This is WotC not (insert name of cell phone company here). I have had zero problems with their products, however I am old school with my gaming approach.

I wouldn't, either. But the weather wasn't an issue with SPEC1-1, as it was with CORE1-4. Again, I'm not saying someone should have been forced to go in over the holidays to upload the mod. I'm saying the release date should have been set to a day when somebody would be in there to do so.

Well, the play can't be sanctioned without ordering the mod and the mod wasn't available on the event sanctioning page. Also, DCI assured me the mod would be available for download on the first. I asked specifically because I knew it was the holidays and didn't want to disappoint any of my players if it wasn't really gonna be available for any reason.

Who have you asked? Have you asked them since the problem started? If so what have they said in response?

In the end, the degree of my anger isn't due to SPEC1-1. It's a string of problems from the quality of product WotC's been putting out to the failed promises and lack of information about DDI.

All of the hype from WotC pointed to DDI being fully functional at or within a few months of 4E's launch. Here we are 7 months later and we've got nothing but a character builder that will only go to 3rd level. Either they thought they were going to be able to fully create the game table and other applications in under a month or they intentionally misled us. Just how much time do you think we should give them before calling foul?

Oh sure they intentionally misled us and laughed at us all during the holidays right? Sorry for sounding snarky here. If they said back in August that SPEC 1-1 was going to be available on 01-01-2009 they had ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of know that this would not get done due to (whatever issue is inserted here). NO ONE can predict the future. If I could I would not be sitting here typing this, and neither would you I bet.

I don't use DDI (as I can't afford it now), and don't need their character creator. I use paper and pencil to create my characters, sometimes even going as far as using...*gasp*...notebook paper. It's worked for 15 years. When I find something I like I then place it on a blank character sheet.

I know it's not "green" or "eco-friendly" however I didn't think we were supposed to be so eco-conscious when playing.

Things happen. Nothing is perfect. Ever. Life is funny like that.

Yeah, because it's impossible to set it up ahead of time so it's published automatically on the appropriate date. Obviously somebody's in house pushing a button to publish their web at exactly the right time every night, including Christmas and New Years.

Or maybe, just maybe, they schedule it to post automatically on the appropriate date.

Maybe they have a way to do it automatically, maybe they don't, however if it was me I would like to be there when the file is uploading this way if there is an error then...*gasp*...I would be there to fix the problems.

I know it sounds so 20th century but it works.

Sorry to sound this way but biting the hand that feeds you is never a good way to go about things.

*news* Looking at weather related news WotSeattle is going to get even more snow. Winter, like life, happens.

Now can we talk about the game instead of complain about the company that supplies us the game???
Its up on DCI now.
So lets all simmer down now.
Drat! Scooped by a guest!

Yes, I just got back from dinner, and found a PM from Bernie who got word from Chris that the file went up a couple hours ago now.

Its my understanding that nobody had had a chance to update the profile to "go live" on the 1st, and that was the root cause of the issue at heart.

OK! I know what ProGun will be running this weekend.

I only wish our local coordinator would log into our store forums and let us know if he'll be showing up . ;)
If they said back in August that SPEC 1-1 was going to be available on 01-01-2009 they had ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of know that this would not get done due to (whatever issue is inserted here). NO ONE can predict the future.

Yeah, that New Years holiday really came out of nowhere. Nobody could have predicted that would have come up.

You seem to have a problem with people who are complaining. Look, I'll break it down for you. I spend money on D&D products so I can play in and organize RPGA events. When the RPGA screws up, it causes me problems. This makes me unhappy, and I complain about it in the hope that the underlying issues will be corrected. As a paying customer, I have some expectation that WotC cares enough about what I think to address my complaints.

You don't have the same issues, or choose not to complain about them. That's fine. But coming here and telling the rest of us that we shouldn't be complaining because you aren't affected is rather silly.
Yeah, that New Years holiday really came out of nowhere. Nobody could have predicted that would have come up.

You seem to have a problem with people who are complaining. Look, I'll break it down for you. I spend money on D&D products so I can play in and organize RPGA events. When the RPGA screws up, it causes me problems. This makes me unhappy, and I complain about it in the hope that the underlying issues will be corrected. As a paying customer, I have some expectation that WotC cares enough about what I think to address my complaints.

You don't have the same issues, or choose not to complain about them. That's fine. But coming here and telling the rest of us that we shouldn't be complaining because you aren't affected is rather silly.

Quoted for truth

Some minor nitpicking and that is the only thing I will add to this discussion since it's overdue anyway.

First of all you paid money for the DnD system, nowhere in your purchase records you will find anything related to buying any rights or services from the RPGA. Wizards offers the RPGA organized play network as a free service run mostly by volunteers, they don't earn any money with it except for the runoff when attracting new players that like the system and thus buy the books.

I agree with your second statement but I do think this isn't entirely the fault of wizards either. Arguments pro and con have already been posted above.

Let's just resign to playing the mod instead of muling on about it here :D
Let's just resign to playing the mod instead of muling on about it here :D

Yeah, can't we talk about what an awesome adventure it is instead!?