Why should I take more gold?

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was recently playing an LFR game and the topic of selling magical items came up.

As per the PHB and this forum, magical items can be sold for 20% of their purchase/market value.

If so, why would I ever choose to select the "more gold" option (for +25gp), when I can get out my PHB (or AV) check which item package is worth the most and sell it?

Having only completed 2 adventures with my Warlord and selected "more gold" each time... have I been made a chump?

There was a 1000gp item in each module, so I could have 400gp by now and be one module away from the armour I really want.
Because you can only keep one found item per PC level, and selling that one found item means you wont have, well, the item (which is generally worth MORE than the gold it gives), but you did spend the slot.
This is the bit I don't understand... you can only have one item per level... but once you sell the item... why can you not pick up another to replace it?

For example: A level 1 character has +1 armour, but finds Veteran's armour +1... why can they not sell their +1 armour and take the Veteran's armour... they still only have one magical item...?
The simple act of picking an item fills a found item slot, no matter what happens to the item afterwards.
So, if a player elects to have +1 Plate Armour at level one, then finds +1 Veteran's Armour... they can't take it as they already have +1 Armour in their level 1 slot?

That is pretty poor... I can understand being allowed to keep only 1 magical item per level... but to be stuck forever with a poor choice is even worse!

I know new players who will simply give up LFR if they can't swap out their rubbish choices for better stuff.

Similarly, why would you bother with new splat books for more stuff, if you can't buy the stuff in them due to lack of slots?

It makes no sense?
So, if a player elects to have +1 Plate Armour at level one, then finds +1 Veteran's Armour... they can't take it as they already have +1 Armour in their level 1 slot?

Correct. He has to wait for lvl 2 until he can once again select an item for free.

Even if he later seels his +1 plate armor, his lvl 1 item slot is gone for good.
That is pretty poor... I can understand being allowed to keep only 1 magical item per level... but to be stuck forever with a poor choice is even worse!

You can have as many magical items as you want, you just have to pay for them. The slots only allow you to gain items for free, if your level 4 character has gained for free items through his slots he can still buy as many additional magic items as he has the gold to pay for
I know new players who will simply give up LFR if they can't swap out their rubbish choices for better stuff.

Too bad for him, he misses out on a fun living campaign.
Similarly, why would you bother with new splat books for more stuff, if you can't buy the stuff in them due to lack of slots?

You can always buy them. You can also just save magic item slots. You could save all your slots until lvl 26 and then selecet lvl 30 item with every slot.
Fair enough... although I know a few young players who will be dissapointed...

The best advise for getting "good stuff" then, is to take the "More Gold" option, until you get an expensive magical item drop... then take it... sell it and buy the stuff you want.
The best advise for getting "good stuff" then, is to take the "More Gold" option, until you get an expensive magical item drop... then take it... sell it and buy the stuff you want.

Not really. The best advice is to take the more gold option until you see an item that works really well for your character, then take it. Don't take a subpar item because it seems 'okay' (unless it's expensive, and maybe not even then). If you level without filling your slot, that's fine, because you might see two awesome items during your next level that you can take to fill your slots.

If you just take expensive items, then try to spend the gold you get from them on other stuff, you're not getting a very good value because of the 20% selling price.

~
Not quite.

Per adventure, you get X gold.

At the end of each adventure you get a choice of taking more gold (50 for a low level low tier module), a healing potion, or one magical item that was found or given as a reward for the module.

It typically takes 3 modules to gain one level, so you usually get a choice of 9-12 items or so to choose from, just not all at once.

You gain one found item slot per level. Once you choose a magical item, that slot is locked in, and cannot be changed.

If you have the gold, however, you can buy any magic item from any open resource (listed on page 2 of the RPGA CCG) that is your level or lower.

Note that some of the items offered as bundles at the end of the adventure do not count as found items, such as ritual books and scrolls, the healing potion, and any alchemical items; so you can choose any of those items freely.
I assume a slot isn't lost if you don't fill it before you level above it.

So if you are level 2 and haven't selected any "free" magic items, you have two free slots to fill.

I am usually the DM, so I don't really care what people choose, I have only managed to play two games myself and both times there was nothing of any value to my Warlord, so I took "extra gold".

Next module is level up and was wondering what sort of pressure there was to select a magical item... if there isn't any I won't... unless something worthwhile turns up.

However, if I can sell a magical item and get the item [from the AV] I really want (and will keep for the duration of my career), I was wondering what the harm is in selling an expensive, but sub-optimal, item in favour of buying a better one.

So if you are level 2 and haven't selected any "free" magic items, you have two free slots to fill.

Correct.

However, if I can sell a magical item and get the item [from the AV] I really want (and will keep for the duration of my career), I was wondering what the harm is in selling an expensive, but sub-optimal, item in favour of buying a better one.

There is certainly nothing wrong - or against the rules - in using this approach to gaining magic items. (Keep in mind that the item you buy must be your level or lower - regardless of the amount of gold you have.)

Since you must take the "extra gold" option approximately 2 out of every 3 adventures, patience will result in your ability to buy the item out of the AV without "wasting" a slot.

Keep in mind that the quick sell/dump for cash pays off in the (very) short-term, but the open item slot is VERY valuable in the long term - - and worth MUCH more down the road.

Now that you've gotten lots of general advice - it might help if you provided the specifics. Which item are you hoping to buy from the AV for your Warlord?

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

Correct. You don't lose an unfilled slot. There have been discussions on the optimization of filling those slots in other posts on these boards. I won;t go there, other than to say that at some point, you get into a likely "fill it or lose it." point, but that is around 26th level or so, based on not being able to fill more than one slot per module.

I am usually the DM, so I don't really care what people choose, I have only managed to play two games myself and both times there was nothing of any value to my Warlord, so I took "extra gold".

Next module is level up and was wondering what sort of pressure there was to select a magical item... if there isn't any I won't... unless something worthwhile turns up.

No pressure, other than not having picked up an appropriate item or two can put behind the power curve, and make it more difficult to fulfill your role as Leader. Not as bad, usually, as a Striker without a good magical weapon, or a Defender without good armor.

No harm, but you are usually having to give up both a free item slot, which can be used to pick up items that are too high level to buy as of yet, and a sub-optimal gold return for said item. In order to buy a first level magic item, at 360 gp and plain vanilla +1, you would need to sell off a 6th level item, which is +2 or +1 with special properties, an item that costs 1,800 gp to buy normally, and sells for the requisite 360 gp.

And I would tend to use the phrase more appropriate, rather than better, since a +2 item, in general, will be better than a +1 item.

Alternatively, with the use of a 4th level Ritual, you could transfer a useful enchantment from an inappropriate item to a more suitable item, like moving +1 lightning from a longsword to a fullblade.

Nope, no pressure. My 4th level fighter has 3 open slots.

Nothing wrong with that. Just remember that in doing so you are sacrificing a found item slot.

To quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. "Choose... but choose wisely..." You need to put at least a little thought into what items you're taking. You don't want to take an item just because it's there.

Again, make smart choices and it's not an issue. If they truly did take a crap item, then wait a level until another slot opens up and take something more appropriate, then sell off the old item.

It makes no sense?

You buy however many items you can afford. You are only limited in the number of found items you can take. Found items can be above your level (such as my 3rd level Wizard with a +2 Orb, it's a Level 6 item), purchased items can only be of your level or lower.

I have a 3rd (almost 4th) level Wizard who has two found items and a purchased item with one open slot. I'll get another one next level if I don't find something appropriate in the next mod before leveling. My 4th level fighter has 1 found item and 2 purchased with 3 open slots because I haven't found much in bundles that I want for him.

If you're usually DMing, give a little guidance to your players when choosing bundles so they make good informed decisions for their PCs instead of just having them go "Woot! Phat lewt!" and taking any item offered.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
This is the bit I don't understand... you can only have one item per level... but once you sell the item... why can you not pick up another to replace it?

Because the money you earned by selling it fills the slot.
It is a balanced system that prevents PCs gaining too much magic items while keeping the coolness of finding and keeping stuff in adventures - with moderation.

Personally, I think selling magic items for cash is really sub-optimal. Sure, you can save for that +1 veterans armor, but if you find a +2 armor it is really a better choice to take that and use it for a few levels until you find a +3 one...
I currently have a lvl 4 PC with a +1 veteran's armor and a +2 viscious bastard sword, both found. Works much better imo than selling them off and getting enough money to now buy a +1 magic weapon.
Now, if I find and take a +2 armor, I will sell the +1, since I don't need it any more. But taking stuff with the purpose of selling it is going to cost you as you won't have the above-level items other people have.

Gomez

It makes no sense?

While you can always buy stuff, there are other people who agree that never being able to swap out a found item (with certain restrictions) is dumb. But it's been "discussed" before and it's probably not going to change.

I don't want to waste time going through this argument again, just wanted to let you know that in my experience your reaction is pretty common.

Allen.
For example: A level 1 character has +1 armour, but finds Veteran's armour +1... why can they not sell their +1 armour and take the Veteran's armour... they still only have one magical item...?

It seems the discussion is more-or-less finished, but I would like to point out...

He still only has one item, but now he has additional gold as well. It's not the same as someone who just took one item and the "extra gold" option.
I believe the reasoning behind the gold value of magic items being comparatively low, and the treasure philosophy of 4e in general, (and hence LFR) is that your character should predominantly using the items they find. It's arguably thematically more appropriate, and besides, in a way it's a bit cheesy to find a magic item and immediately swap it for another one. What's the point of giving out magic items at all if that were the case? They may as well just give out piles of gold and let you choose what you want.

Expect to see more items from the AV in new mods (the 1-1s and I believe most of the 1-2s were written before it was available).

In my experience, most mods there will be only one or no items that anyone wants, then occasionally something awesome will come up, 3 or 4 levels ahead of you, and you'll be really glad you left that slot open. I remember the first mod I played (I won't say which) when a +2 heavy armor dropped. There was much rejoicing as the two clerics and fighter all grabbed it without a second thought as to whether it was the 'optimal' choice. It was a +2 armor with a special ability, and they were 3 or 4 levels behind it. That alone made it worth taking.

Presumably to avoid people taking advantage of the very situation you presented in your original post.
I believe the reasoning behind the gold value of magic items being comparatively low, and the treasure philosophy of 4e in general, (and hence LFR) is that your character should predominantly using the items they find.

Actually, as stated by the Devs, the overall philosophy on magic items in 4e was that they shouldn't be what defines your character like they did in previous editions. You should be able to achieve success based on your character options alone with Magic items giving you a handy little boost and some nifty, minor abilities to compliment your character powers/abilities. The power level of items is much lower. Hence the value is lower as well.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I believe what teh Devs emnt was that the power of magic items is factored into leveling.
It won't matter - balance wise - WHAT you have as long as you have level-appropriate items.
You ARE expected to have items that boost your to hit and AC. This is factored into the '+1 /level' increase of monster to-hit and defenses.
If, say, you do not have no magic armor/weapon by epic level, you'll fail to be effective against your opponents, as you will effectively have a -5 penalty against your opponents (you are expected to have +4 or +5 item by then - effectively a magical +1 increase in to hit/AC every 5 levels).
You are correct. They expected everyone to have, and keep up on, armor, weapon/implement, and neck slot to boost their to hit and defenses. All the other bits are fairly optional. In 3rd and previous editions, to be effective at all at higher levels you had to have a cornucopia of items. Heck, it has even been reflected in the D&D literature. I have been re-reading some old FR novels I have that span mostly 2nd edition, and the characters are laden with magic items.

They wanted to get away from that in 4e. They said characters can get by with those three items and can be very effective with 5 items. They only expect you to need 3 out of 10 (or 11) slots, and 5 is very effective. (according to the devs, YMMV of course :P) I haven't seen any high level items that are out of this world. Handy? Yes. Powerful? Debatable on a case by case basis. Eye-poppingly good? Not that I've seen. It all ends up being relative.
In 3rd and previous editions, to be effective at all at higher levels you had to have a cornucopia of items.

Not entirely true. I had a 3E cleric that made it to 18th level, and deliberately used no permanent magic items at all. He was quite devastating in combat.

That may have been an indication of how powerful 3E clerics were, though, especially with that Persistent Spell feat.

But yeah, most magic items in 4E are of the "eh, it's okay" variety.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

Not entirely true. I had a 3E cleric that made it to 18th level, and deliberately used no permanent magic items at all. He was quite devastating in combat.

That may have been an indication of how powerful 3E clerics were, though, especially with that Persistent Spell feat.

But yeah, most magic items in 4E are of the "eh, it's okay" variety.

I thought the Persistent Spell metamagic feat was Closed. Then again, 18th level was only allowed in a few, special, modules, anyhow. At least in LG.

And having all your spell boosts last 24 hours is as good, IMO, as just having permanent magic items provide those same boosts. Sure you give up a few spell slots, but you still have plenty left at 18th level.

Yes, in essence, you can save your slots/level. A 4th level PC does not have to fill all 4 of their MI slots; they may have played in mods where they do not or cannot use any of the items in the treasure bundles.

Remember, also, that you can buy as many magic items as you can afford. Those magic items cannot be higher than your level. That is where the more gold option comes in.

So far, my two weapon ranger (4th level) has only utilized one MI found slot (a +1 lightning weapon). However, he bought some +1 serpentskin hide armor with all the gold (that is being sarcastic) that he took with the more gold option.

So, therefore, I have 3 slots left to fill. I will not fill those slots until I find items that I like in the treasure bundles. That is purpose of saving the slots, to fill them with items you like.

I am assuming that most folks saved many of their slots with the first round of mods that were released because all of the treasure bundles were based off of items from the PHB, all of which left much to be desired.
So, if you have already filled your "found" item slots, can you still purchace or create items? Or is that restricted too?
So, if you have already filled your "found" item slots, can you still purchace or create items? Or is that restricted too?

I've found it helpful to consider your PC's magic items in two separate groups: found items and purchased (or crafted) items.

The found item slots, and the "one per level" restriction, are ONLY for items you actually find in adventures (i.e., treasure bundles).

On the other hand, you can buy (or craft) as many magic items as you can afford -- though remember that you can purchase (or make) items only of your level or less, while you can take found items in treasure bundles that are above your current level (though you can only use items that are no more than 4 levels above your current level).
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I thought the Persistent Spell metamagic feat was Closed. Then again, 18th level was only allowed in a few, special, modules, anyhow. At least in LG.

And having all your spell boosts last 24 hours is as good, IMO, as just having permanent magic items provide those same boosts. Sure you give up a few spell slots, but you still have plenty left at 18th level.

I believe karma is referring to his Living City cleric of Shaundakul, Tyraeous St. James. And yes, the persistent spell feat is broken, particularly with 3.0e spells and especially the version in the Forgotten Realms player's guide, which only added 4 to the spell level.
Running around cloaked in persistent spells isn't actually much differen from just getting the magic items for the slot.

Either wearing a +x armor or having a persistent magic vestment on your non-magical armor gives essentially the same result. In both cases you're using magic armor.
I believe karma is referring to his Living City cleric of Shaundakul, Tyraeous St. James. And yes, the persistent spell feat is broken, particularly with 3.0e spells and especially the version in the Forgotten Realms player's guide, which only added 4 to the spell level.

Yes indeedy.

Then again, he was created as a direct response to "You can't play LC without scads of magic items!". I took it as a challenge to see just how broken a build I could manage with no permanents.

He was just as broken in 2nd Edition, what with being able to put all his weapon proficiency slots into Martial Arts. And let's not even get started on that Shield of Shaundakul specialty priest spell, that let you negate any area or targeted physical spell with a Will save.

Good memories. Especially gratifying to be able to wipe the sneers off no less than a dozen high level dragons over the years with nothing but his fists.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

From what I see here, this means its best to leave all your free slots open until you are sure you will receive items that will last you for a long time. I'd probably leave most of my free slots open and only take items every 4 or so levels to maximize my gains. It also depends on how many items are dropped per module.
You tend to find at least 4 dropped items per module. (r found items as the preferred terms)

I am in total agreeance with some of the earlier posters. Magic items should not be a powerful part of any character, its your powers and feat selection that makes the character.
Exept that 4e explicitly assumes you will have key magic items appropriate to your level, i.e. weapon/implement, armor, and Fort/Ref/Will-boosting item (usually neck slot).
You are correct. You are expected to have a to-hit/damage boost, AC boostm and Fort/Ref/Will boost. Above and beyond that, none of the items have overly powerful abilites. Some people tend to gravitate towards certain items (Vicious weapons seem to be very popular, although I don't see them as the end-all-be-all some people seem to think they are), but even their power levels are nothing that's overwhelming.
Wait, what were we talking about again? :P

To try to drag this back towards the original thread topic ("Why should I take more gold?"):

Under what circumstances would you take a high-level magic item even though you have no particular use for it, simply because you could sell it for 20% of its value? (And then buy a specific, lower-level, magic item that you want.)

Iif you were a level N character, what level of magic item (N+5? N+6?) would make this a worthwhile transaction?

Does it depend upon how many found items slots you already have filled?

Is this *never* worth doing, because keeping found item slots open is more important than gaining gold (which you could use to buy exactly the item you want)?
I'd rather keep the found item slot, personally. The exception might be if there was an item I have been wanting but haven't found but I can now buy it and the if I took a found item and sold it I would have enough gold to purchase the item I want. I would never do it just because it's there.
Here's a (somewhat) concrete example. Suppose you have a 4th level PC, with a level 4 found magic item slot open, who participates in a 4-7 mod at the high-level version. (Maybe the rest of the party is 6th/7th level or maybe you just like high-risk, high-reward.)

One of the treasure bundles is a level 10 magic item. You can't use it, because it's more than 4 levels above you (even if you level up to 5th at the end of the module), although you can carry it around if you want to. The item is worth 5000 GP so it could be sold for 1000 GP, allowing you to buy a level 4 or 5 magic item.

Do you carry around an item that you can't use for 2 levels? Do you sell it and buy something you can use NOW?

I think this is not an easy decision.

If you already have good magic armor / weapon / neck-slot items, then it probably does not make sense to use up a found magic item slot, sell it for only 20% of its value, and buy something 5 levels lower than the found item.

But if you are missing one of the key items you need... how long are you going to wait? I think that at some point you have to be better off obtaining an item that will improve your effectiveness NOW, even if you have to absorb a really bad transaction to do so. (Cost of the transaction = found item slot + 80% of value of found item... ouch!)
I was recently playing an LFR game and the topic of selling magical items came up.

As per the PHB and this forum, magical items can be sold for 20% of their purchase/market value.

If so, why would I ever choose to select the "more gold" option (for +25gp), when I can get out my PHB (or AV) check which item package is worth the most and sell it?

Having only completed 2 adventures with my Warlord and selected "more gold" each time... have I been made a chump?

There was a 1000gp item in each module, so I could have 400gp by now and be one module away from the armour I really want.

Because you can keep slots open until higher levels, get the more gold, then choose an item for a slot that was open since Heroic Tier at say Paragon or Epic Tier and get the +75 gold AND 20% of a Paragon item or Epic item.
Well, if you're in Paragon or Epic tier you'll be getting more than +75 gold. ;)
Well, if you're in Paragon or Epic tier you'll be getting more than +75 gold. ;)

True for the slot, but not at the point where you chose not to use the slot. You do get over 75 gold for a slot as you will keep taking the more gold option in place of using that slot every mod, then get an item at say Paragon and sell it for about 10,000 gp. Course that is just for holding one item slot until Paragon and then selling the item. Not sure I want to go into all the math for holding more than one. For one I don't know what the gp rewards are in the low and high tiers of 4 - 7 or 7 - 10 mods.

Course, just holding on to the slots until you find items that are just perfect for your character and taking more gold or potions is the best option. Don't take items just because you can sell them for more than the cost of a potion or 75 gp. Definitely don't pick it up with the mentality, "I have an open slot. I HAVE to take SOMETHING!" That just doesn't help and leaves you kicking yourself when you have no open slots and the perfect item does show up.
My instincts say that if you cannot use an item due to level constraints you cannot sell it either, but my instincts might be wrong. If my instincts are wrong, it is worth discussing with Chris Tulach... (although I am not yet sure whether a free slot is worth that extra gold for an item of level -5 of the original item with a maximum of your PCs current level)

Pieter Sleijpen
RPGA LFR Global Administrator
My instincts say that if you cannot use an item due to level constraints you cannot sell it either

That would be exceptionally lame.

By that same token would you say that if a PC doesn't use implements, he can't take a level-appropriate implement (as a found magic item) and sell it?

FWIW, the character creation guide says:
Show
You cannot use a magic item more than 4 levels above your character’s current level. If you choose a magic item more than 4 levels above your character’s level at the end of the adventure, you can only use it when your character is at the item’s level – 4.
And the boilerplate in each adventure says:
Show
PCs receive 20% of a magic item's purchase price for any item they sell.
I think we are all in agreement that selling a higher-level found item is far from optimal, but if someone wants to do it, I think he should be allowed to do so.
Sign In to post comments