Menace of the Icy Spire

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Will this Dungeon mod be adapted for LFR play?

Mickey

DALE1-6 The Vesperin Initiative (P1) (author) LURU2-2 Shadows of the Knights (H3) (author) DALE2-4 Illsyldra (P1) (author) IMPI2-4 Goblins Strike Back (P3) (co-author) NETH4-3 Purifying the Profit (paragon) (co-author) ABER4-1 The Price of Freedom (paragon) (co-author) EPIC4-2 Age of Ruin (Epic) (co-author) NEVE4-3 Spider's Web (heroic) (co-author) ADCP5-1 Home's Last Light (co-author) ADCP5-2 The Best Defense (co-author) MYTH6-2 Ambassador, General, Herald Spy (paragon) (co-author)

There have been rumours to that effect - I think in one of the 'where's the FR1 adaptation?' threads.

It's not been announced (so good job for opening a thread where a friendly admin might come along and confirm things if/when it's decided!!) but I think the admins hope it'll happen. One global admin probably is somewhat keen to have it adapted...!

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Without looking too closely at the encounters, I count 765 possible xp for this adventure. That is about what Barrow of the Ogre King offers.
Greetings...

Yes, there will be an LFR adaptation for "Menace of the Icy Spire." I don't think that it will be available until after the end of the month, when the compiled Dungeon issue is made available, since there are changes that do get made between the initial mid-month release of articles and the final release at the end of the month. I've already written a draft adaptation document, but I want to make sure that the LFR adaptation we release and the absolute final version of the adventure are in synch.
Talk to you later -- Sean ---- M. Sean Molley | sean [at] basementsoftware [dot] com LFR Global Administrator
That's great news! And is exactly the kind of coordination that will likely see me ante up my $5/month for DDI access. I don't particularly care about the digital gaming table and the character visualizer, but fluff, adventure, and playtest articles are great fun for me as a DM and offer my players (in two different LFR weekly sessions now!) more choice.

Now if only the FR1 adaptable mod comes out by the time I finish running my second group through ADAP 1-1, then we can jump right to Scepter Tower. If not, maybe the Icy Spire adaptation will be ready and we can run that first.

Thanks for the update and the good news!
Barrow of the Ogre King, Menace of the Icy Spire, and FR1 might be the new "power level" combination to get a PC from creation to level 5.

However, I am not sure that is a bad thing, it really all depends if there are going to be new level 1 adventures every year.
Actually, the reason I'm excited about it, and my players as well, is that it combines LFR rewards and continuity, with an actual campaign. We're so early in the LFR setting, that the Saturday games I've been running have suffered due to the absence of a common thread. The players are fairly regular and have formed a "company" for their own benefit, but several other players weren't really interested after they saw how unrelated the majority of the mods currently are. Barrow, Icy Spire, and then FR1 I can run as an actual campaign, and will be doing so, with 5 players on Monday nights in a session designed specifically to feed their "continuity cravings."

So maybe they will be a powerleveling tool, but for at least some of my players, the greater benefit is the common storyline they offer.
Actually, the reason I'm excited about it, and my players as well, is that it combines LFR rewards and continuity, with an actual campaign. We're so early in the LFR setting, that the Saturday games I've been running have suffered due to the absence of a common thread. The players are fairly regular and have formed a "company" for their own benefit, but several other players weren't really interested after they saw how unrelated the majority of the mods currently are. Barrow, Icy Spire, and then FR1 I can run as an actual campaign, and will be doing so, with 5 players on Monday nights in a session designed specifically to feed their "continuity cravings."

So maybe they will be a powerleveling tool, but for at least some of my players, the greater benefit is the common storyline they offer.

We are finding the same thing in our Saturday game. The lack of continuity between mods has been somewhat disconcerting for all of us. Would have been nice if a string of 2-3 1st-4th level mods for each region could have come out with that string tied together by storyline. Also, we have found some of the writing to be a bit under the weather compared to LG. Many of the intra-mod storylines just don't make sense. With that said, we really did enjoy "Sense of Wonder" good mod with good writing.
They are hardly a power-leveling tool. The xp for them is regards to the offered challenge is exactly the same as in standard LFR adventures. You likely need just as much gaming time as well.

Note that I can see how the lack of common story can lessen fun for some, but remember, you as a DM can add that common thread yourself. It probably needs some work, and care needs to be taken not to change fundamental plotparts, but it is not impossible.

Pieter Sleijpen
RPGA LFR Global Administrator
Well, with that kind of official blessing from Pieter, I fully plan on weaving in some common elements. We are Cormyr for specific region play, and the PCs have decided that they are a common group based out of Cormyr that just "happens to end up" in the different areas the mods are in.

With Pieter's suggestion, I'll probably work with them a little more on developing their adventuring company and weaving a non-mechanical but relevant plot line into some of the mods.

Icy Spire and ADAP 1-1 give a great means to set that up, and I'd love to run a 2-3 week set of sessions to accomplish them, even with out taking the group on to FR1. It'd be a great way to introduce a common them now that they've already started.

Thanks, Pieter!
One way that I have seen groups pull together a Living campaign into a more coherent story is to work for one patron, who sets them up with the various "hooks." This patron can be mysterious, or helpful, or even somewhat of an antagonist.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
So, do you think these adventures could be part of The Pattern?

(please. . . don't let me be the only Fringe fan. . .)
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I only wish "the Pattern" could include acting lessons. (I love the concept behind the show, but there is no denying that a combination of the writing of character interaction and the acting borders on painful to watch.)

And to try to wrestle this back on-topic:

When an adventure is added to the ordering system is completely out of the RPGA's hands. The adaptation of Scepter Tower is done and turned in, ready for upload. When that upload happens can more easily answered by a Magic 8-Ball that it can anyone in the RPGA. Hopefully soon is the best I can say. Along those same lines, the adaptation for Sean's adventure "Menace of the Icy Spire" SHOULD be up not long after the final version of this Dungeon issue is released--but when it actually appears is another story altogether.

A Living campaign, by design, is going to be episodic in nature. It is possible to create a sequence of adventures that tells an overall story, but as soon as you do that, you are going to get complaints that this is unfair to the players who cannot play them in order for whatever reason.

As Dustin points out based on my suggestion, if you play with a regular group you (the DM with the assistance of the players) can link any adventures together into a coherent story through various narrative/story-telling techniques. My own local group did this for a while in LG, creating backstories that fit together, with the DMs planting hooks in the various adventures that drew upon those backstories.

I hope all this helps!

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
...and a fortnight later, I'm wondering if there's any word on this?
Sean and Shawn already told us exactly what was up...
Yes, there will be an LFR adaptation for "Menace of the Icy Spire." I don't think that it will be available until after the end of the month, when the compiled Dungeon issue is made available, since there are changes that do get made between the initial mid-month release of articles and the final release at the end of the month.

Along those same lines, the adaptation for Sean's adventure "Menace of the Icy Spire" SHOULD be up not long after the final version of this Dungeon issue is released--but when it actually appears is another story altogether.

October's compiled issue isn't even scheduled to come out until tomorrow, at which point it's anybody's guess. Seems pretty clear to me.
October's compiled issue isn't even scheduled to come out until tomorrow, at which point it's anybody's guess. Seems pretty clear to me.

Damn! Misread the date! Think I was looking at "date joined" rather than "date posted". Sorry.
Greetings...

The compiled / final version of Dungeon #159 is up now, so I'll review it for changes and update the adaptation document (which is already written) to make sure it matches the final version. I'll probably turn the final version of the adaptation over to Chris Tulach this coming Monday. Then Chris will review it, (hopefully) approve it, and get it into the queue for being uploaded to the website / ordering system.

That entire process could take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on the workload and schedules of all the folks involved.

Hope that helps! Believe me, I want people to be able to play the adventure as soon as possible.
Talk to you later -- Sean ---- M. Sean Molley | sean [at] basementsoftware [dot] com LFR Global Administrator
Cool beans, and thanks. After starting with the Barrow of the Ogre King adventure, this looks like the natural way to go for a sanctioned LFR home campaign... so we're waiting on this one.

Where do these things get announced, typically? The "Adventure Summaries" page has been broken for some time.
So, do you think these adventures could be part of The Pattern?

(please. . . don't let me be the only Fringe fan. . .)

No you aren't the only one... or are you... dun dun dunnnnnn!

As long as we don't start finding apples with fetus seeds or daisies with dragonfly wing petals, i think we're safe...
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Can someone post when this is available for sancitoning?

[I hate setting up every bit of info for my session before I can find out what new stuff is available]
Come check out and add to the LFR Wiki, part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
My local game store runs weekly game days and has a subscription to DDI. When the adaptation is released, are they allowed to run multiple tables as part of a game day?
I don't see why they couldn't. Question is... how long will it take to go through it.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I don't see why they couldn't. Question is... how long will it take to go through it.

Four tactical encounters and a skill challenge. It'll take my group, who like their combats with a large dose of role-playing, about seven hours. We always seem to take twice as long to finish these sessions as the RPGA estimates.
All I want for Christmas is to be able to play Menace of the Icy Spire before the end of the year?

Will my Christmas wish come true?

DALE1-6 The Vesperin Initiative (P1) (author) LURU2-2 Shadows of the Knights (H3) (author) DALE2-4 Illsyldra (P1) (author) IMPI2-4 Goblins Strike Back (P3) (co-author) NETH4-3 Purifying the Profit (paragon) (co-author) ABER4-1 The Price of Freedom (paragon) (co-author) EPIC4-2 Age of Ruin (Epic) (co-author) NEVE4-3 Spider's Web (heroic) (co-author) ADCP5-1 Home's Last Light (co-author) ADCP5-2 The Best Defense (co-author) MYTH6-2 Ambassador, General, Herald Spy (paragon) (co-author)

Sure - - play it any time you want! ;)

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

Just FYI, in case anyone hasn't heard: The adaptation of this adventure is available for ordering.

Christmas wishes really do come true.

Thanks Santa WOTC!

Can anyone say how much XP it is worth and about how many 'rounds' it'll take? I don't want to read the adventure yet, on the off chance I'll be playing it very soon, but armed with that knowledge I can know who/where to pitch it in the play schedule
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
It's adapted for PC Levels 1-4, with high and low tiers. XP = 765/945.

I don't think anyone will be able to say how long it'll take until someone plays it. I'd hazard a guess at it being about as long as Barrow of the Ogre King, give or take, depending on the combat set-ups. I haven't read it myself, so I can't give you more than that.
Similar to Barrow King, about 6 hours.

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director