Barbarian Gnolls in LFR!

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gnolls as a player character to be released in Dragon 367.

The Barbarian will be released as a playtest class soon, and thus playable in LFR.

I admit that it'll be strange having a Gnoll Barbarian as a PC, but I can't wait to roll one up.

EDIT: Article at http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=367_Playing_Gnolls.pdf
Rob Bodine @gsllc Convention Coordinator, synDCon @synDCon http://synDCon.net/ 4th Edition Dungeon Crawls: http://me.lt/2y0xi
Gnolls as a player character to be released in Dragon 367.

The Barbarian will be released as a playtest class soon, and thus playable in LFR.

I admit that it'll be strange having a Gnoll Barbarian as a PC, but I can't wait to roll one up.

Depending on what roll barbarians end up in (I'm guessing hybrid defender/striker) I'm actually considering one myself.

Then again, I'm just twisted enough to want to see how a halfling barbarian might work out too. . . .
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I'm pondering something weirder then that. Maybe a Gnoll artificer or something. Gnoll wizard...
I'm pondering something weirder then that. Maybe a Gnoll artificer or something. Gnoll wizard...

I'm sort of with you on that. I love using less-than-perfect racial synergies to create interesting characters. My Drow tactical warlord is my favorite character so far, and I'm planning a Shadar-Kai Artificer. However, a Gnoll Barbarian would have to be fun to play.
Rob Bodine @gsllc Convention Coordinator, synDCon @synDCon http://synDCon.net/ 4th Edition Dungeon Crawls: http://me.lt/2y0xi
Realize that it has been stated previously that they can exclude content in Dragon by stating it in the text of the article. But I would expect to see exclusions appear in the character creation guide
Depending on what roll barbarians end up in (I'm guessing hybrid defender/striker) I'm actually considering one myself.

Then again, I'm just twisted enough to want to see how a halfling barbarian might work out too. . . .

Isn't Defender/Striker one of those combos they specifically wanted to avoid happening?

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

Isn't Defender/Striker one of those combos they specifically wanted to avoid happening?

Is it? I haven't followed much of the design theory, I was just pulling speculation out of. . . well. . . we all know where speculation comes from.

The liver.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

I thought Defender/Striker was what a fighter already is.
I admit I'm excited for the Barbarian playtest, even though it may only have two powers at each new level (Like the artificer and swordmage demos).

However, I've already decided that when Gnoll becomes available, I will make one. It will be a swordmage. Oh. Yes. :D
I admit I'm excited for the Barbarian playtest, even though it may only have two powers at each new level (Like the artificer and swordmage demos).

I REALLY hope they at least give us three (preferrably four) at-wills this time. It was one of the biggest mistakes they made with the Artificer playtest, since you couldn't create a Human Artificer (Humans require a MINIMUM of three at-wills, or they end up being weaker than other races).

If there is anyone who is working on the playtest rules for the Barbarian reading this, get this: put in a MINIMUM of three (again, preferrably four) 1st level at-will powers, or you're not going to get the maximum value for the playtest, since players cannot create a RAW-legal Human character without three class at-will powers.
However, I've already decided that when Gnoll becomes available, I will make one. It will be a swordmage. Oh. Yes. :D

Nonono. Gnoll bards are for the win!
I am not expecting the Barbarian to be much of a defender beyond being a thick frontliner. Probably no marking but, lots of strength-based striker-oriented 2-handed weapon powers and high mobility. Not sure how rage will figure in but, I heard it will be in.
Nonono. Gnoll bards are for the win!

Groff arg growl nom bark bark bark!

Ooooh...

We are the mighty gnoll empire,
Our conquests stretch both near and far,
Rulers of Faerun we shall be,
Life will be better- you'll see!

I am not expecting the Barbarian to be much of a defender beyond being a thick frontliner. Probably no marking but, lots of strength-based striker-oriented 2-handed weapon powers and high mobility. Not sure how rage will figure in but, I heard it will be in.

I was actually re-reading the description of the Controller (PHB page 16) and wonder if a Barbarian couldn't be a controller.

With their rage powers, they could deal high damage and cripple/weaken/confuse foes. I'd love to see how a non-magical controller would work, and I wonder if the Barbarian might fit the bill.

Puppieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees Powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

(puppys, puppies? oh whatever)
Not sure how rage will figure in but, I heard it will be in.

Just a guess: you activate an encounter or daily power that gives you some bonus that lasts beyond the "end of your next turn," and after that period creates the equivalent penalties for a shorter period.

I was actually re-reading the description of the Controller (PHB page 16) and wonder if a Barbarian couldn't be a controller.

A martial or primal controller would be hard to pull off, but in general a controller does low damage but to several targets (although there are certainly other roles a controller plays). It should be some sort of "hit everyone in range" effect, such as the 3.5 whirlwind attack, but preferably after adding 1 to the character's range. Give that kind of a character a ranged weapon and watch out. Again, though, the damage would be low against each target in order to keep the class balanced. Obviously, my theory would require that the character would have to be a controller with a minor in something other than striker.

All speculation, of course.

With their rage powers, they could deal high damage and cripple/weaken/confuse foes. I'd love to see how a non-magical controller would work, and I wonder if the Barbarian might fit the bill.

I was also wondering about various knockdowns and similar effects. I could picture a big brute sweeping everyone off their feet, possibly powered off of constitution with strength as secondary. It would be kind of funny to imagine wizards and barbarians filling the same role.
Just a guess: you activate an encounter or daily power that gives you some bonus that lasts beyond the "end of your next turn," and after that period creates the equivalent penalties for a shorter period.

I could see it being a rage bonus to hit, damage and/or Hp as a daily for the encounter or as an encounter until the end of your next round.

I am definitely eyeing barbarian for some possibilities for my Hexforged.
I could see it being a rage bonus to hit, damage and/or Hp as a daily for the encounter or as an encounter until the end of your next round.

I am definitely eyeing barbarian for some possibilities for my Hexforged.

You're first suggestion is consistent with my suggestion, and I'd prefer it, but they're going to do whatever they're going to do. I don't know what a hexforged is but am intrigued.
Cryonax:
Hexforged is the name for a specific gish build of a Warforged Infernal-pact Warlock. It is based off of the Hexhammer, a similar build involving an infernal-pact dwarf. Both can be found on the char op boards, usually somewhere on the first three pages.

Back to topic. I'm more of the opinion that rage will end up looking similar to what happened with the 3.5 paladin's smite. That is to say, I don't think rage will be a specific class feature or just one power, but rather a progression of powers over the course of the three tiers. This would help rage scale as the barbarian levels over the course of an adventuring career, much like the paladin smite now does (eg, Thunder Smite and Stunning Smite) Having rage be a class feature limits how well it would scale with level IMO, since very few class features increase in power over levels. Having rage as just one power is also wrong, since then it would be another "twofold pact" type scenario, where every barb would need to take the rage power just to be effective.

I can also see rage being more oriented towards immediate reaction/interrupt attacks and actions that trigger once the barb is bloodied :D .

I wouldn't be surprised if Rage is done as either an encounter power or a daily power. if it's encounter it has the possibility of being soemthing that lasts until the end of your next turn and can be used 2x per encounter (like Inspiring Word). if it lasts until the end of the encounter it will likely be a daily power. although it I would be unusual for a lass feature to be a daily. So I'm not counting on that.

Another possibility would be some sort of mechanic that boosts abilities/damage. (a la Hunter's Quarry or Warlock's Curse) I could see something along the lines of:

Rage: When an opponent strikes you you may make them the target of your rage. anytime you deal damage aginst that opponent you do an extra 1d6 damage to them (2d6 at level 11, 3d6 at level 21). When you are hit by different opponent you may decide to change the object of your rage.

Or perhaps a mechanic like a fighter's combat challenge/Paladins challenge.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Playing Gnolls article is up

Some interesting feats too
In particular I like:

Butcher's Lure (Gives you ghost sound at-will and a nice bonus to bluff when you use it to imitate people)

Claw Fighter (basically gives you shortsword hands, but can't be enchanted)

Gnoll Tracker (+5 to Perception and Insight??? even if situational, this ROCKS :D )

Fierce Charge (Use an at-will melee power when charging)

Brutal Charge (use an encounter power when charging)
Playing Gnolls article is up

Some interesting feats too
In particular I like:

Butcher's Lure (Gives you ghost sound at-will and a nice bonus to bluff when you use it to imitate people)

Claw Fighter (basically gives you shortsword hands, but can't be enchanted)

Gnoll Tracker (+5 to Perception and Insight??? even if situational, this ROCKS :D )

Fierce Charge (Use an at-will melee power when charging)

Brutal Charge (use an encounter power when charging)

Combine the Gnoll Tracker bonus with the bonus from the Pack Master PP from dragon mag, and you got yourself a +10 untyped bonus to perception for tracking.
Realize that it has been stated previously that they can exclude content in Dragon by stating it in the text of the article. But I would expect to see exclusions appear in the character creation guide

I see nothing in the article restricting its use in LFR. Woo-hoo!

I told you gnoll bards are for the win!

Gomez
Now it is just a matter of time before I can release up on you my gnoll fighter/bard, Scrappy Doo.... (if only to prove that gnoll PCS are a really, really bad idea)
I have ran games with Brittney Spears, smurfes (sp?) and several other rather rediculous references to pop culture. I ignore the references, and game along as if it is a normal PC. If that is what the player likes, why get heated up about it?
::shrug:: I have ran games with Brittney Spears, smurfes (sp?) and several other rather rediculous references to pop culture. I ignore the references, and game along as if it is a normal PC. If that is what the player likes...

Actually, one of my fellow-gamers has a Bard named Britney Weispeer, which for those of you who know Perrenland, would doubtless get a kick out of. I think she was just started as a gag PC, but has developed into something much more. When teamed with fearless Halfling Rogue that should have a much lower Wisdom score than she does, and the 'Half-Goliath' Barbarian, who knows what trouble may ensue.

Then again, all three a gender-benders.

/sighs/

Er... Back on point. I'm glad they've put out gnolls, and am toying with the idea playing one. Seeing kobolds would be nice, if for no other reason to shut Puggle up. :P
Seeing kobolds would be nice, if for no other reason to shut Puggle up. :P

You can take my freedom, but you can never take my KOBOLDS!
I thought Defender/Striker was what a fighter already is.

No. While they can be built to do decent damage, they were designed as defenders. They are, in fact, the first archetype of what a defender is supposed to be.

They can be built to to damage because ALL classes are supposed to do okay in the damage department. You may as well add /striker to ALL the classes if you want to add it to the fighter's listed role.

Defender/Striker is supposed to be avoided because 4E is all about teamwork, and rolling two out of the four core roles into one class runs counter to that.

That said, most of the classes can handle other roles in a pinch. It's just not what they're supposed to be best at.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

::shrug:: I have ran games with Brittney Spears, smurfes (sp?) and several other rather rediculous references to pop culture. I ignore the references, and game along as if it is a normal PC. If that is what the player likes...

<.<

>.>

My Blaster Bard in LG was a pop singer, and always took the extra TU for a money-making Perform check. (She can max out the check without even rolling a die) The reason she's in any given area at the time of the adventure is that she has an upcoming concert in the area, you see...

Combine the Gnoll Tracker bonus with the bonus from the Pack Master PP from dragon mag, and you got yourself a +10 untyped bonus to perception for tracking.

Too bad Gnoll Tracker gives a feat bonus - I guess all the Gnoll Rangers will have to pick between this feat, Alterness & SF (Perception).

Also, I'm thinking that not many will show up as Barbarians unless the Key Ability for them is Con instead of Str.
Too bad Gnoll Tracker gives a feat bonus - I guess all the Gnoll Rangers will have to pick between this feat, Alterness & SF (Perception).

Also, I'm thinking that not many will show up as Barbarians unless the Key Ability for them is Con instead of Str.

Ah...guess I was thinking of something else with Gnoll Tracker being a feat bonus...still, +10 on top of your normal perception is pretty huge...practically auto-track...

If the Bbn uses either Con or Dex, even as a secondary stat, I'll do it. Seven squares of movement, rage-like racial trait and encounter power? Both mechanically interesting and full of RP flavor.

EDIT: Of course, maybe a shaman or Druid of Melora would work better.
If the Bbn uses either Con or Dex, even as a secondary stat, I'll do it. Seven squares of movement, rage-like racial trait and encounter power? Both mechanically interesting and full of RP flavor.

EDIT: Of course, maybe a shaman or Druid of Melora would work better.

It's very true that the roleplay aspects of the new system (or almost any system) are limitless; however, in my experience with Living Forgotten Realms I haven't seen very many characters playing against their races strengths - no pun intended.

Clerics are Dwarves & Elves, Fighters are Dragonborn & Genasi, Rogues are Drow & Halflings and so on and so forth.

Which I guess one can attribute it to the system being brand new but I have to wonder really why since for the first time you can actually play any class with any race without taking too much of a hit ability wise.

Examples: 3.5 Half-Orc Wizards must have been few and far between as well as Dwarf Sorcerers (considering I never saw either).

Perhaps we will see less "race+class sterotyping" as the campaign progresses.
Examples: 3.5 Half-Orc Wizards must have been few and far between as well as Dwarf Sorcerers (considering I never saw either).

Actually, I have both played a dwarf sorcerer and a half-orc wizard in 3.5. They were perhaps not optimal characters, but very fun to play.
It's very true that the roleplay aspects of the new system (or almost any system) are limitless; however, in my experience with Living Forgotten Realms I haven't seen very many characters playing against their races strengths - no pun intended.

Clerics are Dwarves & Elves, Fighters are Dragonborn & Genasi, Rogues are Drow & Halflings and so on and so forth.

[snip]

Actually, I have both played a dwarf sorcerer and a half-orc wizard in 3.5. They were perhaps not optimal characters, but very fun to play.

I'll also add that my best character so far is my Drow (inspiring) Warlord (multiclass Cleric). Only my Cha bonus is relevant to a Warlord, and that's more for roleplaying. I'm much happier with a character that doesn't quite fit the norm. This is my greatest praise of the new system: You're free to build a character around role-play considerations because you won't suffer much (if at all) mechanically.
I'll also add that my best character so far is my Drow (inspiring) Warlord (multiclass Cleric). Only my Cha bonus is relevant to a Warlord, and that's more for roleplaying. I'm much happier with a character that doesn't quite fit the norm. This is my greatest praise of the new system: You're free to build a character around role-play considerations because you won't suffer much (if at all) mechanically.

Yeah...as long as you end up with at least a 16 in your primary attack stat, the rest is pretty free.
I'm probably going to make a Gnoll cleric of Garl Glittergold. He was adopted by Gnomes as a baby who read the letters:
Gno...
on the note in the basket and jumped to conclusions.
"Our baby deserves a good home. He may have much to overcome as he is a Gno..."
Yeah...as long as you end up with at least a 16 in your primary attack stat, the rest is pretty free.

I am thinking about a Fighter build that has an 18 in Con, but Str below 15...

Dwarf or Warforged.

Dwarf Defender, because of the minor action Second Wind is pretty useful.

Warforged gets a Con bonus, and the racial ability to get temp hit points, and, if bloodied, real hit points from Resolve...

Speaking of which, do the extra hit points from Improved Warforge Resolve also affect the healing if used when bloodied, or only the temporary hit points?
I'm probably going to make a Gnoll cleric of Garl Glittergold. He was adopted by Gnomes as a baby who read the letters:
Gno...
on the note in the basket and jumped to conclusions.
"Our baby deserves a good home. He may have much to overcome as he is a Gno..."

Dude, that's just brilliant. I wish we gamed together.

Which I guess one can attribute it to the system being brand new but I have to wonder really why since for the first time you can actually play any class with any race without taking too much of a hit ability wise.

For the most part, I haven't been seeing too many people playing againt their race's strenghts either.

My first and primary character is an Eladrin fighter that actually works very well because of Eladrin Soldier, the free skill choice and Fey Step but, such builds get overlooked because many are blinded by just the stat bonuses.

I think as the former LG players begin to realize that they don't need to optimize 100% to survive we'll begin to see more varied choices.
Sign In to post comments