Scepter Tower of Spellgard

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've got a player who will be deployed relatively soon after Scepter Tower of Spellgard is released, so we would really like to accommodate him. Plus, it would be nice to get some info and confirmations in one place. ^_^

1) When will Scepter Tower be playable as an LFR event?
2) When will we be able to order the game as an event and download the adaption information?
3) About how long should we expect to schedule to play this adventure?

Thanks!

I it's anythign like KotS, et. al., it will most likely take you multiple sessions. It's info says it's supposed to take you from 2nd level to 5th. That's tough to do in one 4 hour session!
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I it's anythign like KotS, et. al., it will most likely take you multiple sessions. It's info says it's supposed to take you from 2nd level to 5th. That's tough to do in one 4 hour session!

I'm expecting that, too, just wondering how many hours we should try to schedule. ^_^

I seem to recall someone saying yes, it will show up as an adaptable.

2) When will we be able to order the game as an event and download the adaption information?

I'd try making an event right now for the 17th, see if an adaptable for this mod shows up. If not, your guess is as good as mine. (I'll take "two weeks from release" in the betting pool)

Amazon lists it at 96 pages.

I'd slate a couple weekends.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lfrx/adventures shows it as available from September 16th. Whether it'll actually be available then remains to be seen, but the Barrow of the Forgotten King adaptation was up very promptly.

Also, I just checked - as I'm probably going to run this too - and the adaptation isn't in the system yet. I imagine it'll be ADAP1-2 when it arrives.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

I've got a player who will be deployed relatively soon after Scepter Tower of Spellgard is released, so we would really like to accommodate him. Plus, it would be nice to get some info and confirmations in one place. ^_^

As has been pointed out, the schedule shows September 16th as the date of release. If I hear that schedule is slipping for any reason, I will let everyone know. That date would be the first date it is orderable, and the first date it is playable.

How long you need to schedule it is a completely subjective questions. If you assume that a normal LFR round is a 4-hour adventure with 4-5 encounters, and you look at the number of encounters that comprise the published adventure, it is going to be LOOOOOOOONG. I cannot say for certain what the play time will be, but I would, as a rough guess, say that you should expect at least 8 4-hour rounds. For those of us who don't understand this "new math," that's 32 hours of play time.

That means some groups will finish in less than 32 hours total. For others it may take several weeks or months to finish, if they can only get away for 4 hours of play per month.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
I bet the adaptation will probably split the module into parts to make it fit into 4 hour slots a little better.
I bet the adaptation will probably split the module into parts to make it fit into 4 hour slots a little better.

More likely that the adaptable will be split into three like the module itself (from the preview blurb). This would allow charcaters to level up through the adventure too.
Let us know when it's available. I now have the module, but it doesn't appear as an option in the RPGA system.
Greetings...

We're still hashing out a few details (like exactly how the adaptation will be reported in the character tracker), but it should only be a short delay.

Right now it has been adapted into three parts, each of which covers about one-third of the published product. (It's necessary to have built-in breakpoints so that the PCs can level up, find magic items, and so forth.) The parts do need to be played in order because of the way the adventure is structured.

The overall adventure is the equivalent of about 30-40 hours of play (I would say between 8-10 regular LFR adventures' worth of "encounters" -- not all of which are combat!) and will take characters from 1st/2nd level to 4th/5th level.

Note that although the cover of the printed product says that it is for characters of 2nd-4th level, that is not quite accurate. The print product really assumes that the PCs are all 1st or 2nd level when the adventure begins. (Says so right on page 2.) A group that began with characters already at 3rd-4th level would walk through it easily. Doing a "high tier" version would require essentially republishing all of the stat blocks from the entire 96-page print product, and we are not going to do that. So, the LFR adaptation is restricted to characters who begin the adventure at 1st or 2nd level. (They will gain levels as they go along, and that does not disqualify them from continuing the adventure, of course.)
Talk to you later -- Sean ---- M. Sean Molley | sean [at] basementsoftware [dot] com LFR Global Administrator
Sean,

Is it possible to use the characters in other adventures, if they have finished a segment but not started the next one, or are they "locked in" until the whole module is completed?
Greetings...

Is it possible to use the characters in other adventures, if they have finished a segment but not started the next one, or are they "locked in" until the whole module is completed?

That's one of the issues that we still have to resolve. As the adaptation is currently written, the answer is that they are indeed "locked in," and I expect that will probably end up being the final answer (but it is ultimately Chris Tulach who will make the final decision).

The problem is, even though it is very long, the adventure is nevertheless written to be a self-contained experience, meaning it assumes you play through from start to finish. The encounters ramp up in difficulty based on that assumption. If the PCs have the ability to go off and gain a couple more levels in between parts of this adventure, then it would throw the encounter balance completely out of whack and you could easily cakewalk the rest of the adventure. I think that would probably be a bad thing.

So, the way it's written right now, once a particular character starts Scepter Tower of Spellgard, that character can't play anything else until he or she finishes Scepter Tower of Spellgard. (You the player can obviously play your other characters in other things.) Now, there are several points at which the adaptation "pauses" and the characters get XP and found items and such. (As I said in my earlier post, we have it broken roughly into thirds.) You could abandon the quest after part 1 or part 2 and still keep the XP and treasure you got from the part(s) you did complete. So you do have an "out" if for whatever reason you just can't finish the adventure and you want to play that character in something else.
Talk to you later -- Sean ---- M. Sean Molley | sean [at] basementsoftware [dot] com LFR Global Administrator
No, I was just thinking of some LG adaptations, where not only can your PC play in other mods between "chapters", but it can be almost necessary to do so to keep the PC at the correct level for each part of the adaptation...
I think the LG issues were becuase LG actually gave away less XP for encounters than the RAW (partially as the RAW was designed for four characters and the LG assumption seemed to be a table of six).

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Greetings...

No, I was just thinking of some LG adaptations, where not only can your PC play in other mods between "chapters", but it can be almost necessary to do so to keep the PC at the correct level for each part of the adaptation...

Ah, I see. Scepter Tower of Spellgard has a well-designed progression in terms of the expected order in which the PCs will face the encounters, and it gives out a lot of XP. I believe it will do a very good job of keeping the PCs at the correct level for each part of the adaptation. Of course, there's no guarantee of getting maximum XP for every encounter, but you don't need 100% of the possible XP just to stay on track with what the adventure expects, either.
That's one of the issues that we still have to resolve. As the adaptation is currently written, the answer is that they are indeed "locked in," and I expect that will probably end up being the final answer (but it is ultimately Chris Tulach who will make the final decision).

I highly encourage adopting the approach used in the LG adaptation of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits: characters could play something else in between, but lost ingame benefit, in the way of accumulated loot and use of items found as treasure but not yet purchased (found in this case), if they played something else.

Rationale:

1) It works.
2) If it is too onerous otherwise, folks will find ways around the restrictions. In other words, they'll cheat. The campaign has done a great job of removing those elements that they cannot or are unwilling to enforce. Keep up the good work.
3) The campaign is episodic. There is a massive layer of abstraction association with what happens inbetween adventures. Why suddenly get concrete about it?
4) If the concern is about leveling out of the challenge zone, this is handled by either of a) limited level range for the parts, b)DM empowered scaling. If this type of scaling is outside the scope of what the adminstrators envision, Perhaps option a) is sufficient.

David
For this particular ADP it's not going to be a big issue since people can play a different character. Higher level ADPs might be a bit more challenging to the players.

One way to deal with it would be to say that the ADP doesn't hit your logsheet until you finish it and you have to be at a valid level for the start of the ADP at that point (ie you can play outside the DP but only so long as that leaves you inside the parameters for starting the ADP)
-from the character's perspective they did those other missions first and the whole ADP came afterwards.
Is there any update on when the module conversion will be available?
This little signature is my official and insignificant protest to the (not so new now) community redesign. The layout is lousy. The colour scheme burns the eyes. The wiki is a crippled monstrosity. So many posters have abandoned this site that some major forums are going days without posts. The 4e General Discussion board regularly has posts on the front page from two or even three days ago. This is pathetic. Since I have to assume Wizards has a vested interest in an active community I wish someone in charge would fix this mess.
I'd like to bump this. I'm getting ready to run a weekly home game using FR1 and would like to run it as LFR (to get all those wonderful DM points!) and would like an idea of when the adaptable mods will come out. We are going to meet first to do character creation and then probably take two sessions to run ADAP 1-1, to introduce them all to 4E slowly, but then we'll jump into FR1.

So any news would be great.

Thanks,
Lingan
Greetings...

I'll check with HQ and see if I can get an update.
Would love to hear something official in the next week or so about the ADAP 1-2. It was said over 2 weeks ago that "We'll have it up by the end of the week."
Relevant reply found in Icy Spire Thread

When an adventure is added to the ordering system is completely out of the RPGA's hands. The adaptation of Scepter Tower is done and turned in, ready for upload. When that upload happens can more easily answered by a Magic 8-Ball that it can anyone in the RPGA. Hopefully soon is the best I can say. Along those same lines, the adaptation for Sean's adventure "Menace of the Icy Spire" SHOULD be up not long after the final version of this Dungeon issue is released--but when it actually appears is another story altogether.

Thanks,

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

Figured you might not see this one unless you were reading the Icy Spire thread.
Greetings...

The three-part adaptation of "Scepter Tower of Spellgard" is now available from the RPGA ordering system. (The adventure codes for the three parts are ADAP1-2, ADAP1-3, and ADAP1-4.)

Please post any questions you may have about the adaptation (with spoiler tags as appropriate) in this thread. We'll keep an eye on this thread and try to answer questions as best we can.
Greetings...

The three-part adaptation of "Scepter Tower of Spellgard" is now available from the RPGA ordering system. (The adventure codes for the three parts are ADAP1-2, ADAP1-3, and ADAP1-4.)

Please post any questions you may have about the adaptation (with spoiler tags as appropriate) in this thread. We'll keep an eye on this thread and try to answer questions as best we can.

I haven't seen the ADAP document, so my apologies if these are answered there. However, they're the typical questions that came up for all of these types of adventures in prior campaigns.

What are the parameters for playing other adventures between parts?

What are the parameters for starting a character in the middle, such as at the start of part two?

May a party start in the middle, such as at the beginning of Part Two?

May characters level in the middle of a Part?

David
I haven't seen the ADAP document, so my apologies if these are answered there. However, they're the typical questions that came up for all of these types of adventures in prior campaigns.

What are the parameters for starting a character in the middle, such as at the start of part two?

David

from the mod's blurb:

At the height of Netheril’s power, the fortress of Spellgard held many great secrets of the Empire of Magic. Now only ruins remain… and one last guardian, the near-mythical Lady Saharel, whose prophetic visions draw the desperate and the doomed from across Faerûn. But a dark presence in one of Spellgard’s intact towers wants to control the power of prophecy for itself and remake the future in its own image. A Living Forgotten Realms adapted adventure set in the Fallen Lands for characters levels 1-2. This is a very lengthy adventure, requiring 30-40 hours of play time to finish. A copy of the published adventure Scepter Tower of Spellgard is required to use this adaptation document.

Note: This is Part 1 of the 3-part adaptation; the parts must be played in order, and a character cannot play other adventures in between the parts of this adventure.
from the mod's blurb:

Thanks.

Nothing about a character joining a party in the middle?

David
Greetings...

Once a character begins playing Scepter Tower of Spellgard, that character must either complete it or abandon it (and cannot return to it later if he abandons it). In this context, "abandonment" means "playing any other adventure between the parts of Scepter Tower of Spellgard."

So, a character who plays Part 1 must play Part 2 as his next adventure, and Part 3 immediately after that, or else he loses the opportunity ever to play the parts that he missed. (The player, of course, can always start over again with a different character.)

If a character abandons the adventure early (by playing another adventure instead of the next part of Scepter Tower) that character still keeps the XP and rewards that he earned in the parts he did play.

Characters may not start in the middle of the adventure. A character must play Part 1 before playing Part 2, and must play Part 2 before playing Part 3.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: The adventure assumes (and the adaptation requires) that all of the characters in the party be either 1st or 2nd level at the beginning of Part 1. Characters will level up as they go along, and this does not disqualify them from continuing (indeed it is assumed and expected), but a character of 3rd level or higher MAY NOT play the adventure at all, because he will be too high a level to play Part 1 which means he will also never be able to play Part 2 or Part 3 (as the earlier parts are mandatory prerequisites for playing the later parts).

No. (See previous answer.)

Yes, and it is very likely that this will happen, as each part of the adaptation is roughly one-third of the print product. (Part 3 gives the most XP, since it has the highest-level encounters, but Part 1 and Part 2 each give enough XP that it is quite likely for some or all of the characters in the party to reach the next level before finishing the entire part.)

The boilerplate text in the adaptation encourages the DM to award XP as frequently as needed to ensure that characters have the opportunity to level up during the adventure. The players only make logsheet entries at the end of each of the three parts, but the PCs can (and should) level up between encounters if they have earned enough XP to be able to advance a level.

This is particularly important during Part 1, which gives enough XP to take a character who is close but not quite 2nd level all the way to 3rd level. If that character does not level up mid-way through the adventure, then he will skip over 2nd level entirely, which is no fun. Even if it is only for a few encounters, we want people to actually get to play their characters at every level.
Greetings...

Nothing about a character joining a party in the middle?

Well, there is no requirement that each character has to play each part of the adventure *with the exact same party*. However, each character does have to play each part in order and may not play anything else between parts.

So the only way a character could "join a party in the middle" would be if the character who wanted to join had already played the previous parts and the party he wanted to join was getting ready to start the next part that the joining character had not played.

Basically, at the beginning of Part 2, the DM is instructed to make sure that each character in the party has Part 1 as their previous logsheet entry (last adventure played). The DM does not need to verify that all the characters actually played Part 1 *with each other*.

It would not be against the rules for a group of characters to play Part 1, split up, and then all play Part 2 with different groups, all of whose members had also played Part 1 (and not Part 2, and not anything else after Part 1). Likewise for Part 3, the requirement is that all of the characters must have Part 2 as their most recent logsheet entry (adventure played). Of course, this would be fairly difficult to actually set up, but if it happens, that's OK as long as the overall rules are followed (each character must play the parts in order and may not play any other adventure between parts).

So it is unlikely, but it is not entirely out of the question.
Well, there is no requirement that each character has to play each part of the adventure *with the exact same party*. However, each character does have to play each part in order and may not play anything else between parts.

Thanks for the answers here and above.

This creates some logistical hassles, but I'm guessing that isn't news and that the benefits in terms of play experience are worth it.

Thanks for the hard work.

David
So given the size of these adventures, it seems highly unlikely to even finish one "part" in a single gaming session. How does one go about scheduling and reporting an event like this, or even a Home game where it takes more than one session to finish up a mod?
It's probably best to obtain the scenario by creating an event, then cancelling it before it is scheduled to start. Once the part is complete, what I'd do is create a 'home' event and use the new event to report the results.

The reason for this is that the DCI reporting system is only really designed for events which can be played within a single day; if you do not report the event you created so that you could download the scenario until you've finished playing then, unless you complete the thing within eight days you will get a delinquent report mark on your account which could affect future reviews of your DCI 'level'.

If anyone can think of better ways to do this, let me know!

I am in total agreement with Pedr as that is exactly what I have done ;) ;) ;) ;)

1. Order the event.
2. Download the adaptable document.
3. Cancel the event.
4. Play the event.
5. Order the event (again).
6. Report the event.
I am in total agreement with Pedr as that is exactly what I have done ;) ;) ;) ;)

1. Order the event.
2. Download the adaptable document.
3. Cancel the event.
4. Play the event.
5. Order the event (again).
6. Report the event.

OR - now that lead times appear to be gone, schedule the event several weeks after you intend to start playing. That way you can download the mods now, and have padded in several weeks to play the mods.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

OR - now that lead times appear to be gone, schedule the event several weeks after you intend to start playing. That way you can download the mods now, and have padded in several weeks to play the mods.

Given everything, that will only work if you can play it within a 4 week period, since there still appears to be that 30 day or 4 week before the event limit on when downloads become available...
Given everything, that will only work if you can play it within a 4 week period, since there still appears to be that 30 day or 4 week before the event limit on when downloads become available...

Have we tested that to know if it still applies? I was under the impression that it no longer held.

Okay, well thanks for answering guys. That makes sense.
Have we tested that to know if it still applies? I was under the impression that it no longer held.

Well, it appears that that limitation has, indeed, been removed. I just ordered an event for November 30th, and the download was, indeed, available.
That is great news!!!
Well, it appears that that limitation has, indeed, been removed. I just ordered an event for November 30th, and the download was, indeed, available.

:D

Ok you need questions? Here's mine.

I am thinking about running home RPGA events. Can I use this adventure for LFR RPGA? I have heard no but I see a sticky about this on here so I'm confused.
Ok you need questions? Here's mine.

I am thinking about running home RPGA events. Can I use this adventure for LFR RPGA? I have heard no but I see a sticky about this on here so I'm confused.

As inicated in the OP - this is about the questions that players may ask of a certain figure in the midst of the module. As such I'm going to have this post (and my reply here) moved to another thread.

As for your question, yes, there is a series of modules (ADAP1-2, ADAP1-3, and ADAP1-4 if I'm not mistaken) that allow a party to play through this adventure for LFR credit. Once a character starts this series of Adaptables, however, they have to finish the entire series before they can be played in other mods.