Weekend in the Realms - Available Now!

159 posts / 0 new
Last post
The following e-mail was recently sent to many FLGS locations, I thought I'd add it here because it has lots of great information on the upcoming Weekend in the Realms event.

I cleaned up the formatting to make it forum-friendly, but everything else is as it was sent out.

Weekend in the Realms
Please note: This information is only for North America, Canada and Latin America
Welcome to the first Weekend in the Realms RPGA Dungeons & Dragons® Game Day! Our special event is focused on making your location a bustling center of 4th edition D&D by introducing customers to the updated Forgotten Realms® D&D setting and the new RPGA Living Forgotten Realms campaign. Earlier this year, over 1000 public locations in North American and Canada averaged more than 24 players each running our 2008 D&D Game Day—and over 30 percent of players were brand new! Don't delay sign-up today!

WHEN IS THE EVENT?
Friday October 24th, Saturday October 25th and Sunday October 26th
You can sanction the event on any of the above dates or select two or three and make it a weekend of D&D to remember. Please note we will only ship kits to events being held in non-residential, public locations. Materials will be electronically available to all home locations.

HOW MUCH DOES THIS EVENT COST ME?
IT’S FREE!

WHEN DOES THE ADVENTURE/EVENT KIT ARRIVE?
Our adventure, Beneath Haunted Halls, will be electronically available approximately one month prior and is automatically added to your account for downloading. Please select our placeholder when setting up your sanctioning or it will not be added.
Public locations should receive their Weekend in the Realms kit one week prior to the event.

WHAT DOES THE EVENT KIT CONTAIN?
The kit is designed to support 24 players. You get:
• 1 full color poster map with space for start times to be added
• 5 full color maps for the adventure
• 4 copies of the launch event adventure Beneath Haunted Halls
• Forgotten Realms Trivia game
• Instructions on how to run a fun, action-packed 4th Edition RPGA Forgotten Realms Game Day. Includes sanctioning and reporting instructions
• Pad of 25 RPGA membership cards

I WANT TO BE INCLUDED!
You’re already approved so all you have to do is go into your Personal Information Center and sanction them in the normal way. In Event Type select Special Event Game Day and on the adventure selection screen ensure you select our Beneath Haunted Halls placeholder and any other adventures you wish to run that day. Each day has to be sanctioned separately with you repeating the above.

WHEN IS THE CLOSING DATE?
All sanctioning must be completed by 5 PM PST (+8 GMT) on September 26th 2008 to receive our Weekend in the Realms Game Day kit. Kits are limited to one per location and to the first 800 locations to sanction. To avoid disappoint we recommend sanctioning today.

QUESTIONS?
When I sanction the event, what is the name of the adventure file I’m looking for?
The Weekend in the Realms event has one mega-adventure broken into 3 parts. You will want to add all 3 parts to your order. Select WEEK1-1 Beneath Haunted Halls Part 1, WEEK1-2 Beneath Haunted Halls Part 2, and WEEK1-3 Beneath Haunted Halls Part 3. Of course, you may select additional adventures to expand your weekend into an even bigger event!

When I sanction my Weekend in the Realms event, it only shows me the 3 parts. How do I add other Living Forgotten Realms adventures to my event?
You’ll need to set up a separate event; choose Convention, Game Day, or Retail (as appropriate). After setting up your event details, you will then be taken to the adventures page, which will display a long list of adventures for you to select from. Choose any Living Forgotten Realms adventures you’d like to add to your event!

I’m sanctioning my event and I’m ready to select additional Living Forgotten Realms adventures. However, there are tons of adventures on the page!
How do I know which adventures are for Living Forgotten Realms?

You can always click on an adventure to view it’s descriptive text, but there’s a way you can tell at-a-glance from the adventures page which ones are for Living Forgotten Realms. All Living Forgotten Realms adventures have a descriptor in front of the adventure name which follows this format: four-letter region abbreviation, number (for year), dash, and number (for adventure in that year). For example, CORE1-1 Inheritance is a Living Forgotten Realms adventure, since it follows that format.

For all other questions please email your closest office at:
  • North and Latin America: [email]dci@wizards.com[/email]
  • Japan: [email]dcijapan@wizards.com[/email]
  • Germany & Austria: [email]wizards@hasbro.de[/email]
  • France: [email]custserv@hasbro.fr[/email]
  • Italy: [email]wizards@hasbro.it[/email]
  • Rest of Europe:
  • UK & South Africa: [email]dciuk@hasbro.co.uk[/email]
  • Asia Pacific: [email]apac@wizards.com[/email]

WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Please note: This information is only for North America, Canada and Latin America

Does this mean, the event cannot be held in Europe ?
Does this mean, the event cannot be held in Europe ?

Last I'd heard (at GenCon) the event was available everywhere.

I suspect the details that are specific to North America et all is probably the part about game stores receiving pre-published kits.

I've been wrong before, of course, but that's my hunch.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

The adventure can be played anywhere in the world. The kit with the poster, maps, triva game, etc. will only be mailed to locations within North America. Outside of North America, you will have only the electronic downloaded adventure to work with.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
The adventure can be played anywhere in the world. The kit with the poster, maps, triva game, etc. will only be mailed to locations within North America. Outside of North America, you will have only the electronic downloaded adventure to work with.

Keith

Australia and other parts of Asia-Pacific will also have the fancy stuff, for which I heartily applaud WotC Asia-Pacific.

I can't speak for Europe or any other regions, but it is always good to have the extra stuff for your FLGS to promote the game...

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Does anyone know if you will be able to play these WitR adventures after that particular weekend? It will be difficult for us to schedule all three of the adventures over the one weekend, giving all our DMs the chance to play each of the modules as well.
Does anyone know if you will be able to play these WitR adventures after that particular weekend? It will be difficult for us to schedule all three of the adventures over the one weekend, giving all our DMs the chance to play each of the modules as well.

At GenCon Chris told us that you could "Slot Zero" the event - IE, have one of your judges run the rest of your judges through the event.

What I'm planning to do at "my store" is run the event a couple weeks early for those that want to GM for me. Then when the Weekend comes I'll just hang out and fill a table that has an extra seat, taking advantage of the replay rule.

Since the adventures are supposed to be in the system a full month in advance, that would give me two weeks to prep and run for my GMs. Then I'll hold on to the tracking form until the actual Weekend in the Realms event.

My GMs, having played the module, will then have 2 weeks to read the mods themselves (and knowing my GMs, critique me on how THEY would have done it), then run tables for everyone who wants to play in my FLGS.

At the end of the weekend I'll collect the tracking forms, add them to my "Slot zero" pile and report it all at once.

That gets everyone a chance to play, and creates a pool of ready GMs.

At GenCon Chris told us that you could "Slot Zero" the event - IE, have one of your judges run the rest of your judges through the event.

Does this mean you will have to have at least 5 dungeon masters (1+4 players for the slot zero session)?

At the end of the weekend I'll collect the tracking forms, add them to my "Slot zero" pile and report it all at once.

This is allowed? Reporting a session that was played on another day?

Historically, this has been standard practice for almost every single convention running RPGA events, including DDXP, Gen Con, and Origins for nearly a decade. I see no reason why there would be any issues with Slot 0 events for WitR as well. In fact, I intend to do the very same at "my store."
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
And does this slot 0 need to be reported differently as the other sessions or just like a normal session of the event?
Is WitR only available at stores or larger venues, or is it (or will it) be possible to play it in a smaller venue?
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Does this mean you will have to have at least 5 dungeon masters (1+4 players for the slot zero session)?

In this case it's allowed as a slot zero, yes. (So named because the first table at your store will be "slot one" the next "slot two" etc.

As a rule of thumb, no this isn't allowed, and abuse of this sytem can have negative repercussions. IE - if a handful of stores offer up HJaunted Halls to the public at large for dates other than those being advertised by WotC, it's likely those stores will be asked not to participate in future similar events.

Worse, if abuse is wide-spread enough, WotC may not do special programs like this in the future (why give something special to the masses, if the masses aren't going ot play nice with it?)

So - yes. You may run a slot zero table early, and report it later *in this case*. Just don't abuse it.

And does this slot 0 need to be reported differently as the other sessions or just like a normal session of the event?

You'll report it just like any other event.

If you WANTED to setup a 2nd session of WitR and call it "WitR Slot Zero " for your personal recordkeeping you COULD, but there's no need to go through the extra hoops.

Is WitR only available at stores or larger venues, or is it (or will it) be possible to play it in a smaller venue?

Any public venue is acceptable. This *can* include your home, but the RPGA is requesting this event be available to the public, so you'd have to be okay with (potentially) having strangers show up.

Any public venue is acceptable. This *can* include your home, but the RPGA is requesting this event be available to the public, so you'd have to be okay with (potentially) having strangers show up.

Heh, that will limit which houses it could happen at - true ;) Next question - can it be run online? I've got a possible line on playing it with some friends Friday or Saturday, but I'd not mind running it afterwards for more geographically scattered folks.
Heh, that will limit which houses it could happen at - true ;) Next question - can it be run online? I've got a possible line on playing it with some friends Friday or Saturday, but I'd not mind running it afterwards for more geographically scattered folks.

The Internet is as public as it gets. I think I saw something in the LFR mailing list about someone organizing tables at warhorn. If I find it I'll copy/paste and link the info here.

The Internet is as public as it gets. I think I saw something in the LFR mailing list about someone organizing tables at warhorn. If I find it I'll copy/paste and link the info here.

I'd check this with Chris, though - it may be that they're looking for face-to-face events where new people can be easily attracted by local advertising, rather than online games which are almost invariably only attended by people 'in the know' and already engaged in the campaign.
Trouble accessing the WotC Customer Service system? See this thread

Currently running LFR and D&D Encounters events in Sheffield, UK. Contact me for more details.

I'd check this with Chris, though - it may be that they're looking for face-to-face events where new people can be easily attracted by local advertising, rather than online games which are almost invariably only attended by people 'in the know' and already engaged in the campaign.

Always worth checking with the powers that be when in doubt.

I *think* someone asked at GenCon and was told online was okay, however I didn't get to hear all of this part of the meeting because I was chasing down GMs who hadn't turned in paperwork to me.

Of course, the *general* rules is that LFR is A-OK for online play, so unless there's a *speccific* rule against it for this module. . . ;) (mostly tongue-in-cheek).

We just registered our weekend in the realms event but the download link is not available. Is this normal? When will the download be available ?
We just registered our weekend in the realms event but the download link is not available. Is this normal? When will the download be available ?

The last word I'd heard was that the adventures would be available about amonth before the event.

Hopefully this means next week we'll get links, though I suspect it'll be closer to October 1st myself.

WHEN IS THE CLOSING DATE?
All sanctioning must be completed by 5 PM PST (+8 GMT) on September 26th 2008 to receive our Weekend in the Realms Game Day kit. Kits are limited to one per location and to the first 800 locations to sanction. To avoid disappoint we recommend sanctioning today.

Is this a hard cut-off date for all sanctioning of the game in any region, or only for US / Canada organisers who want the physical kit? If the latter, what is the final cut-off date for those who only need the electronic version?

A few friends and I are hoping to run the Weekend for local gamers in the UK, but are still in the process of sorting out the details, so it'd be handy to know whether we need to have things finalised by next Friday or not.
Is this a hard cut-off date for all sanctioning of the game in any region, or only for US / Canada organisers who want the physical kit? If the latter, what is the final cut-off date for those who only need the electronic version?

As it says, you must be sanctioned by that date to get the kit.

Since the PDF files of the module will be available for download, you can *probably* wait until the day-of the event to sanction if you really wanted to.

Of course, there's little harm in scheduling the event in advance and canceling it/reporting it empty if it doesn't happen.

A few friends and I are hoping to run the Weekend for local gamers in the UK, but are still in the process of sorting out the details, so it'd be handy to know whether we need to have things finalised by next Friday or not.

Well, since it has to happen on a given weekend, I'd strongly suggest sanctioning it as soon as possible, then worry about canceling it after the fact.

That may just be me, however.

LFR-Weekend question - At the Release H1 event - there were miniatures passed out to players as part of the adventure.

No Local Shop participated in Game Day locally. So I missed out on that event. Where there mini's passed out then also? (rhetorical)

1) My question is - your list of items do not show miniatures as being part of the support package. Did I miss something, or is that not going to be part of the support package?

I signed up to do this event at a local gaming shop - And we already have an Oct 4th Store event (Retail Kit Ordered).

As the store can only order 4 retail kits per month - and we are already ordering another event. We may have shot ourselves in the foot.

2) If no miniatures are to be included, would it be possible to increase the Qty of Retail Kits to be ordered for October by a few?
So since this is the Weekend in the Realms thread, I'm asking my question here.

I've followed the instructions per the email from Ian (aka the Wizards Play Network) to sanction this Weekend in the Realms. The letter says in part:

You’re already approved so all you have to do is go into your Personal Information Center and sanction them in the normal way. In Event Type select Special Event Game Day and on the adventure selection screen ensure you select our Beneath Haunted Halls placeholder and any other adventures you wish to run that day. Each day has to be sanctioned separately with you repeating the above.

and
The Weekend in the Realms event has one mega-adventure broken into 3 parts. You will want to add all 3 parts to your order. Select WEEK1-1 Beneath Haunted Halls Part 1, WEEK1-2 Beneath Haunted Halls Part 2, and WEEK1-3 Beneath Haunted Halls Part 3. Of course, you may select additional adventures to expand your weekend into an even bigger event!

I do not see an option for Special Event Game Day, so cannot select the WEEK1-1 etc events to sanction them. I have tried sanctioning it as a Gameday, Retail, and even D&D Delve Night event to see if it is misplaced, and the listing is not in any of those three places.

The cut-off date for sanctioning is supposed to be September 26:

At this point I don't really care about the Game Day kit, but I'm scheduled to run the slot 0 table and 1 of at least five tables of the event that we are putting together. Anyone have any insight on how to order this?
Herrbard a.k.a. Dan Erbacher Old, bald and tired.
Anyone have any insight on how to order this?

The Special Event Game Day option looks to have been removed...
UPDATE

The Special Event Game Day choice is back, at least as of 6:40 AM EST. Very strange that it should re-appear overnight. Maybe the web gnomes were working late. ;)

So, at least I have the game sanctioned.
UPDATE

The Special Event Game Day choice is back, at least as of 6:40 AM EST. Very strange that it should re-appear overnight. Maybe the web gnomes were working late. ;)

So, at least I have the game sanctioned.

Yay!

I would ask the every Kit include new RPGA Membership Cards. I'm pushing for new members and having cards included in the Kit would be very welcomed.

Thanks for reading,

-Timmy!
Colorado Springs
RPGA Club: Steele Justice
I would ask the every Kit include new RPGA Membership Cards. I'm pushing for new members and having cards included in the Kit would be very welcomed.

Thanks for reading,

-Timmy!
Colorado Springs

I've proactively ordered new membership cards just in case.

Don't get me wrong... I've proactively ordered some, too. In fact, I ordered mine on 26 Aug, and received an email the very next day from WotC - saying the cards will be shipped, and to allow up to two weeks for delivery.

To date, I'm still awaiting cards, and a follow-up email last week yielded another email from WotC, saying the cards were mailed a week ago.

So, I'm patient, and proactive - just wanting to head off an issue for all other coordinators...

It's all good. :-)

-Timmy!
Colorado Springs
Time for one more quote from the WitR email:

The kit is designed to support 24 players. You get:
• 1 full color poster map with space for start times to be added
• Forgotten Realms Trivia game
• Instructions on how to run a fun, action-packed 4th Edition RPGA Forgotten Realms Game Day. Includes sanctioning and reporting instructions
• Pad of 25 RPGA membership cards

So the kits are supposed to have membership cards. I already got a mailing of new cards that I had ordered. Six cards, sent in a normal envelope, by US Postal Service. Not FedEx in a giant envelope.
ok, I'm looking to run up to 4 tables at one time at the event. So, I'm looking at what comes with the kit.

The kit is designed to support 24 players. (6 Player 4 tables, OK good)
• 1 full color poster map with space for start times to be added (check)

This seems odd to me 4 copies of the adventure and 5 Maps. Is there an extra copy of the map or does the adventure require multiple maps and I'm going to have a difficult time running multiple tables at one time. Can someone confirm if I need to ask for more copies of the maps or not. Who do I contact if I do?

• Forgotten Realms Trivia game (fine)
• Instructions on how to run a fun, action-packed 4th Edition RPGA Forgotten Realms Game Day. Includes sanctioning and reporting instructions (Have that covered already)
• Pad of 25 RPGA membership cards (three more and I can build a new house. OK maybe not that many)

Thanks
Jeff
I'm looking forward to this event. I'm new to organising D&D events and only just heard about it. Thankfully I've just managed to sanction it in time.
Any ideas as to what level PCs this deal is going to support?

Right now we have a bunch of people that are having to start their second character since their first hit 5th (or is right around the corner from it) and they want to play Spellgard. At the end of that they should have 2 5th level PCs just checking to see if we should start cooking up a third PC for WitR.
Any ideas as to what level PCs this deal is going to support?

Right now we have a bunch of people that are having to start their second character since their first hit 5th (or is right around the corner from it) and they want to play Spellgard. At the end of that they should have 2 5th level PCs just checking to see if we should start cooking up a third PC for WitR.

From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drrep/20080820

Alright, let’s move on to the second big new thing. As I write this, we are practically on the eve of the official launch of the Living Forgotten Realms (LFR, for short) campaign. There are already hundreds of events that have been set up to play the first few adventures. But we’re taking things to another level this fall. On October 24–26, we’re holding a worldwide event called Weekend in the Realms. Think of it as a sort of launch party for Living Forgotten Realms and a way to help build your LFR community.

So what’s so special about this event? First off, there’s an exclusive mega-adventure playable only that weekend written for LFR play. It’s called “Beneath Haunted Halls,” it’s for characters levels 1–4, and it’s written by Wizards’ own Matt Sernett. Set in and around the famous Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, the adventure is broken into three parts; each part takes approximately 3 hours to play. You can play one, two, or all three parts if you’d like, and earn rewards for your LFR character for each part. Either bring your existing character or create a new one onsite; you’ll be able to play all day with just this one adventure.

Thanks - I couldn't find it.

Dang, I guess that third PC is on it's way.
Is there any chance that the gameday kit cutoff date can be extended? I tried several times this past week to get my event sanctioned, and ran into all kinds of problems, including not having the Special GAme Day event type listed, and a problem in which my account was not displaying any of my events, causing me to dupe one in the system. So I just got officially sanctioned today, less than 24 hours late... (?)

Also, I'm having a public event at the local university, but I need all of the materials to be sent to me, or I will never get them. How will we know whether our event 'qualifies' for the gameday kit or not? Will we find out in advance, or do I just wait to see if I receive the materials?

Thanks..!
My account still doesn't display it, but if I try to add another, it's a conflict.

Of course, I don't need a kit so I'm less worried about that, but I can at least echo the problems since I still don't know if I'll get the download or not.
My account still doesn't display it, but if I try to add another, it's a conflict.

Of course, I don't need a kit so I'm less worried about that, but I can at least echo the problems since I still don't know if I'll get the download or not.

Have you contacted Customer Service?

Have the "Beneath Haunted Halls" adventures been available for sanctioned events for anyone, yet? My account does not show them in the Download field. I am guessing they're not out, yet.

Does that sound right?
-------- Don (Greyson) -------- Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S. American
Not showing in my account as downloads yet, either.
It can be sanctioned only as "special event game day".

there you can select all 3 parts

sorry I mixed the chats ...this reply was for another chat ;)

------------------------

old man and a bloody european