Deity Document?

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
I saw today that there were previews up of the FRPG up with the race/class info which is nice for prepping a LFR character. However, one of the other big parts, to the way I design characters at least, would be the list of deities LFR will be using. Personally I loved the LG deity doc and used it a lot in my designs and was hoping to see one for LFR as well.

In particular this would be nice to know for people plotting paladins. Personally, i'm hoping to see a raven queen Equivalent in the list, I really like the idea of a neutral, undead hating Goddess of inevitable death.

So was just wondering if we would be seeing one? (soon?) or requesting one if not.

Thanks,

~Umbra
~Umbra: Light is only a Shadow cast by the Darkness of the Stars
Personally, i'm hoping to see a raven queen Equivalent in the list, I really like the idea of a neutral, undead hating Goddess of inevitable death.

I'm not the most current on my FR deities (and who knows what the Spellplague changed), but Kelemvor is kinda close to that... In 3.x, he's Lawful Neutral, but I'm noit sure whether that means he'd kick into Unaligned or Lawful Good in the alignment scale...
Kelemvor or perhaps Jergal (if you are less inclined to be against undead).
This is something the campaign really should have for the start of the campaign. Even if it is only a list of gods with the briefest of notes on their portfolio's and alignments to get by with until we have the new book.
As far as I can tell, all the things the players need to know about deities will be in the FRCS. That would include a listing of deities, their alignments, dogma and their specific Channel Divinity feats.

Derek
There's enough information out about the FR gods that I'd really be more than happy just getting a list of who is still a deity.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Rich Baker had stated that WotC originally intended a Preview article on the Realms deities as part of a broader preview series, but they did not have enough manpower to get all the stuff done. Since the FRCG will be published next month (available for sale at Gencon on August 14th), an article now seems unlikely.

Maybe Chris can get an official statement.

From what I have seen from Rich Baker (or discussed in other statements), most of the Realms deities which were in the 3.0 FRCS will be back (although some may have had a status change).

Noteable well-publicized exceptions:
Mystra is dead.
Helm is dead.
Tyr went away.
Elistratree and all drow gods (apparently) other than Lolth, are reported dead

There may be some really niche minor deities that also went away, but if you stick to the more traditional, major deities, you should be fine.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
I keep rereading that one line:

Tyr went away

W-what? Why? What about all those Justicars? Tyr went away? Really?
According to the Cormyr article in Dragon, Tyr died.
Noteable well-publicized exceptions:
Mystra is dead.
Helm is dead.
Tyr went away.
Elistratree and all drow gods (apparently) other than Lolth, are reported dead

Keith

We were on the 3rd Mystra anyway Corellian is now the god of the Dark Elves (remember this folks some of the drow were saved by Elistratree's sacrifice) with Lolth and possibly Ghaundaur left for the Drow. Lathander is also called by a different name in the new books and is God of the Sun not just the Dawn like he used to be.

Torm may have been offered to become the 'sword of justice' god... and accepted the mantle.

Or something like that.
Torm may have been offered to become the 'sword of justice' god... and accepted the mantle.

Or something like that.

That's OK, their names were too close anyway. Best to squish 'em into one god. ;)
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
To be fair, Tyr and Torm where very close in themes...

What page was that on? I can't seem to find it when I read the article. Maybe my eyes are tired.

Keith
What page was that on? I can't seem to find it when I read the article. Maybe my eyes are tired.

Last page, in the DC 30 information for 'Luckbringer of Tymora Lore' ...
DC 30: Tymora has seduced dozens of deities and countless mortals over the centuries, but has remained curiously solemn and chaste since the death of her consort, Tyr.

Thanks. My eyes were just too tired, I guess, to see that print. Interesting, originally Rich Baker was non-specific about what happened to Tyr afterwards, but I guess the marriage just didn't work out.

Keith
I'm going to attempt to have a second short preview article/document available online (and as a handout at Gen Con Indy) with the deities allowed, a brief description of their portfolios, and some information on the racial naming conventions in FR (for example, moon elves and sun elves are eladrin).

If everything goes well, it should be up by August 8 or so.
Chris Tulach D&D Program Manager Wizards of the Coast http://community.wizards.com/wotc_tulach http://twitter.com/christulach
I keep rereading that one line:

Tyr went away

W-what? Why? What about all those Justicars? Tyr went away? Really?

Yep. Feel free to blame me. :D

I heard Tyr isn't really dead. He just went back to Asgard to be with Thor and Odin where he belongs. ;)

Allen.
I heard Tyr isn't really dead. He just went back to Asgard to be with Thor and Odin where he belongs. ;)

Actually, he's currently serving jury duty:
http://www.gocomics.com/inkpen/2008/07/21/
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I'm going to attempt to have a second short preview article/document available online (and as a handout at Gen Con Indy) with the deities allowed, a brief description of their portfolios, and some information on the racial naming conventions in FR (for example, moon elves and sun elves are eladrin).

If everything goes well, it should be up by August 8 or so.

Yay Chris!

Actually, at this point I'd be pretty happy to just know which gods are or aren't dead.
(for example, moon elves and sun elves are eladrin).

I'm very happy with this information!!! Now it's easier to explain to an old friend that when he asked for an elf wizard, actually he wanted an eladrin wizard!!!
I hope that one of the upcoming FR books has Channel Divinity feats for all the FR gods, analagous to the ones in the PH for the default gods.
Probable, at least for Good/Unaligned ones... The Cormyr except had one for Tymora.
I'm very happy with this information!!! Now it's easier to explain to an old friend that when he asked for an elf wizard, actually he wanted an eladrin wizard!!!

Yep. Here's how it works.

Star Elves/Sun Elves/Moon Elves = 4E PHB Eladrin
Dark Elves/Wild Elves/Wood Elves = 4E PHB Elf
What about deity specific feats? can we just retrain into these when the FR book comes out?

Mike
Yep. Here's how it works.

Star Elves/Sun Elves/Moon Elves = 4E PHB Eladrin
Dark Elves/Wild Elves/Wood Elves = 4E PHB Elf

Wouldn't dark elf = drow?

It's true, it really is GreenKnight's doing. . . months back he suggested in an FR forum thread that Rich Baker and the other developers just do away with Tyr and usher in Torm as the god of Justice.

Rich Baker liked it so much he decided to do it - kudos to you GreenKnight!
GreenKnight must be stopped!
:D

Not since the end of the Lady Penitent novels.

A large chunk of the Drow were redeemed by Eilistraee's sacrifice, and reverted to their appearence and form from before the Crown Wars.

So while all Drow are Dark Elves, now not all Dark Elves are Drow.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
Would that mean If I wanted to be a Dark Elf that is not a drow, I could declare my race as elf and basically be darker skinned and largely free of the later magical powers/coruption?

A large chunk of the Drow were redeemed by Eilistraee's sacrifice, and reverted to their appearence and form from before the Crown Wars.

So while all Drow are Dark Elves, now not all Dark Elves are Drow.

Sorry; haven't read a single FR novel, ever... What little knowledge I have of the Realms comes from the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games, and my vague recollections of the original FR box set from '87... All future knowledge will be based on whatever appears in the upcoming FRCS and FRPG.
Yay Chris!

Actually, at this point I'd be pretty happy to just know which gods are or aren't dead.

Second.

Could anyone point to the FR equivalent of the Raven Queen?

(Sooooo shattered when I realized that the deities in the PHB aren't the ones in FR. Dammit, there goes a cool character concept.)
Second.

Kelemvor, other than being male, is very close to the same portfolio. As a neutral sort, an acceptable choice.

Keith
Second.

(Sooooo shattered when I realized that the deities in the PHB aren't the ones in FR. Dammit, there goes a cool character concept.)

I consider the 'coolness' of many FR gods as a major point of difference with other settings. Kelemvor (if he survives, I've not heard anything public about him) is the closest to the Raven Queen in theme...but better! ;)

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Second.

Not so fast. As others have pointed out, Kelemvor is very similar to the Raven Queen (or rather, the Raven Queen is very similar to Kelemvor, as he's been around for years).

You can find out more about Kelemvor here.

Incidentally, according to Rich Baker, Kelemvor's still around.

4) Will Kelemvor remain as he is in the 4E Realms?

4) Yes, I think Kelemvor is staying mostly the same.

Not to put to fine a point on it, in your Baker quote he says he thinks Kelemvor is stayling mostly the same.

He could be wrong. He could be gone. He could turn evil. He could be the God of fluffy bunnies and peanut butter now. I guess we'll see.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I think you're being overtly pessimistic. :P It's pretty clear that Kelemvor is still around. Rich was just being a bit cautious as he wasn't sure if Kelemvor was exactly the same in the 4E Realms as he was in the 3E Realms. But not being sure all the minutea lines up exactly isn't the same as not knowing if he's dead or not, not knowing that he's become evil, or not knowing that he's no longer god of Death and the Dead. The fact that he answered should indicate that he's not wrong, or that he's not gone. Otherwise if he didn't know he wouldn't have answered. And if he doesn't know the answers to the questions he's answering, then that pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the Ask the Designers thread.

Anyway, if that doesn't convince you, here's another mention of Kelemvor.

Any hints on this one <>, or have they sworn you to secrecy?

I've checked out manuscript so far, and we didn't explicitly say one way or the other. Since we haven't said it in print yet, I get to express my own opinion: Those souls would have returned to the Fugue plane, where Kelemvor re-assigned them as appropriate. I imagine that a fair number wound up in the domains of Selune or Shar. And some might have remained in the Fugue plane under Kelemvor's protection. Kelemvor's city is not a bad afterlife.

One would think that, while looking over the manuscript, he would've noticed if Kelemvor were no longer around, or if he were no longer god of the dead (especially since he's commenting on what Kelemvor, as god of the dead, may have done).
I'm still holdign out hope for fluffy bunnies and peanut butter. They need a God too. They'd help make Kelemvor's city a nicer place to be while dead. :D
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

Its true.. For those that don't know see the "Forgoten Relms Player Guide Preview" Link in it there is Race data for creating a PC Drow..(amung some other stuff)
THanks for that link LItz! I've been looking for this and I couldn't find it.

The swordmage looks sweeet. Now I'm not sure if I wana make an Artificer styled as an Arcane Archer, or this.