How do I get into LFR DM'ing?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well first of all want to say LFR will be my first Foray into Organized RPGA. But not into D&D been playing since i was about 13 I am 28 now and love D&D. 4th edition is alot of fun I must admit. I want to run a game at a local store. What do I need to do to be a part of the DM's? I see alot of the tests require a RPGA number (Which I dont have) and it seems from what I read that this is only doable AT an event where RPGA is...now this shouldnt be TO hard for me since I am close to some big stores in NYC. Am I correct in needing a membership number? Then I need to take a GM hearald test? For the adventures that come out how do I get access to them is there a fee of some kind? I have read over the RPGA site several times still seems a little hazy to me. Thanks in advance for replies and cant wait!
Firstly, you need to join the RPGA.

The easiest way to do this would be to play an RPGA adventure - probably Living Greyhawk, but there are others - at an organised RPGA event. Check out those stores, or have a look at the local Yahoo! groups for LG (I think New York is 'Nyrond' in LG). If that's not possible contact customer service (http://wizards.custhelp.com) and see if they can get you a card.

Once your membership is active (which can take a little while), you need to take the Herald Level GM's test. You'll be able to get to the Judge's Center from the RPGA members' site. At the moment the test uses the 3.5 rules, but the 4e test is nearly ready to go live, according to Ian Richards (RPGA head honcho) so you might want to wait for that (or hurry, if you prefer 3.5 rules!) If you pass on the 3.5 test you won't have to re-test later, apparently - you only ever have to pass the test once. It's a 20 question open-book time-limited test with (I think) a requirement that you get 95% to pass.

Once your judge status has updated, you'll be able to create RPGA events from the RPGA members' site. This is a slightly arcane process so it's probably worth waiting until you can see the site before anyone tries to explain it! In simple terms, you choose a date for an event, choose the scenarios you want to run, download them, run the event, then tell the system the RPGA numbers of the players when you report the event. There's no fee.

Hope that helps!
Trouble accessing the WotC Customer Service system? See this thread

Currently running LFR and D&D Encounters events in Sheffield, UK. Contact me for more details.

Yep it does help thanks, I will probably wait for all the 4th edition stuff my 3rd skills are lacking. I am part of a Yahoo Group for Neutral Ground in NY. Ill try and show up and get an RPGA membership. I thought you had to "Order" missions...it mentioned a fee not that it will be a problem just wondering what it was in the past. Did you pay ?
You do have to order scenarios (modules) for your events, but there's no fee anymore.

I think there was, but it was before I was an RPGA member.
Trouble accessing the WotC Customer Service system? See this thread

Currently running LFR and D&D Encounters events in Sheffield, UK. Contact me for more details.

Yep it does help thanks, I will probably wait for all the 4th edition stuff my 3rd skills are lacking. I am part of a Yahoo Group for Neutral Ground in NY. Ill try and show up and get an RPGA membership. I thought you had to "Order" missions...it mentioned a fee not that it will be a problem just wondering what it was in the past. Did you pay ?

The folks at Neutral Ground should be able to hook you up with an RPGA number. After that, you will be able to DM for RPGA adventures. However, to ORDER those events, you need to be a Herald Level DM, which means passing the test, which is currently still using the 3.5 rules. WotC reps have said that they are currently working on the 4e test, but no exact date has been established.

A long, long time ago (OK, around 2001) there was a small fee to order an event. It is now free.

Shawn
I'm the administator for a NYC LFR yahoo group here

Some of the people from Neutral Ground are on the group(notably Daren) - we're going to organize games that can feed into Neutral Ground - making sure everyone near NYC gets to play a wide variety of LFR mods.

But you should show up on a Thursday night and get an RPGA card - post something on the Neutral Ground group before you show up to make sure someone has one available.

Andy
Check out those stores, or have a look at the local Yahoo! groups for LG (I think New York is 'Nyrond' in LG). If that's not possible contact customer service (http://wizards.custhelp.com) and see if they can get you a card.

NYC isn't Nyrond, since Nyrond is out on the west coast area, in southern California.

New York is in Keoland, in the Sheldomar Valley.

Marty, player from the Theocracy of the Pale, in the Nyrond Meta-Region...