When can we start?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
When will we be able to play our first Living Forgotten Realms games?

Who's ready!? :D
Gen Con.

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

How about us financially disadvantaged people who can't afford to travel to GenCon?

Not that I've had any luck finding RPGA groups in Toronto, but I'll keep looking and hopefully I'll find one before the launch.
The LFR adventures should start appearing in the RPGA adventure library probably week after as Gencon (assuming no impact due to Gencon). So cons definitely should be able to order right away (for play after Gencon), don't know if there will be a delay (or what it will be) for game days and home play for LFR.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Hey Keith, do you know if the promo cards that were released at DDXP (Orc, Shadar-Kai, Gnome) will be available in the future?

GenCon Dungeon Delve perhaps. . . ?
Hey Keith, do you know if the promo cards that were released at DDXP (Orc, Shadar-Kai, Gnome) will be available in the future?

No knowledge of that. And Chris Tulach is out of the office going to cons so not sure we can get quick answer. I am confident that promo cards will be there, but whether they are the same ones...?

Keith
There will be more information posted when the LFR character creation rules go up (scheduled for July 18).

However, right now the intention is to have the adventures roll out on their normal schedule of about 1-2 per week starting right after Gen Con Indy. We'll start by rolling out the adventures that premiered at Gen Con and then when we get into September, we'll be rolling out the remaining adventures for the first play period.

The existing racial promo cards will be available at Origins and Gen Con Indy. There will also be a couple other new creation promo cards at Indy.
Chris Tulach D&D Program Manager Wizards of the Coast http://community.wizards.com/wotc_tulach http://twitter.com/christulach
Well if you're going to go and answer a question! :D
Do you know if Gen Con UK will have:
- the existing creation cards?
- the new creation cards?
- the same modules as Gen con Indy?
- Premieres of other new modules?

Keep in mind that I haven't yet discussed things with the UK guys, so the following may change.

Question 1: Not sure yet... depends on how many existing/new cards we have left after Gen Con Indy
Question 2: See question 1
Question 3: Probably the same as PAX (which is to say, a mix of Indy and new)
Question 4: See question 3
Chris Tulach D&D Program Manager Wizards of the Coast http://community.wizards.com/wotc_tulach http://twitter.com/christulach
Thanks for the answers Chris.

Do you know why there's a hold-up in finalising this? I know Kithran was hoping to get the schedule for GenCon UK sorted a little while ago, and it'd be good to be able to sign up (and also to figure out whether UK judges can join in online Indy Slot Zeros as we were able to last year).

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Thank you for the answers.

Now what can i do to persuade people not to get their hands on those cards at Indy...?
Got my first 'progress report' for Dragon Con, and I'm a little scared that there's no mention of LFR in the gaming section. Surely the biggest con in the SE will have LFR?
Got my first 'progress report' for Dragon Con, and I'm a little scared that there's no mention of LFR in the gaming section. Surely the biggest con in the SE will have LFR?

Dragoncon has not always been the best with RPGA games.
Dragoncon has not always been the best with RPGA games.

Probably because it is very close to GenCon Indy, so getting new/newer scenarios appears to cause the organisers some very major problems - particularly recently when the 'Extended Premier' program was discontinued.

From lurking on various boards/lists it appears that Dragon*Con would love to offer LFR, but which modules will be available is very unclear, as with the RPGA you can never really guarantee that a module will be available until it is in the ordering database, and none of the LFR modules are there yet.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

LFR info for GenConUK can be found here:
http://www.consupport.com/events/events.asp?Type=562&View=Play

Wait a sec, your telling me we need a game card to play a gnome, which is a race that has always been part of the setting? Or am I misunderstanding what these promo cards are?
Wait a sec, your telling me we need a game card to play a gnome, which is a race that has always been part of the setting? Or am I misunderstanding what these promo cards are?

Gnome is no longer a standard player race, it is now a monster race (thus it no longer being included in the PHB but rather, in the MM). Monster races are not open options for players to take unless they have special campaign documentation granting such access. Those promo cards are examples of such documentation.

In short, yes, myself and others are telling you that you need a game card to play a gnome, which is a race that had always been part of the setting.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
In short, yes, myself and others are telling you that you need a game card to play a gnome, which is a race that had always been part of the setting.

As monsters ;)
As monsters ;)

Oh so true!
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
Nothing official, but gnomes might appear in PHB II. Reading the preview booklets, the designers seem to worry about a distinctive feel to each race and they lamented the lack of that for gnomes. (aside from tinker gnomes) It may have also been with the addition of eladrin, dragonborn and tiefling, gnome just got squeezed out of the PHB.

Keith
Nothing official, but gnomes might appear in PHB II.

And if the race is deemed vital to the success of the Realms, then it's also possible they could appear in either the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide -- after all, as we've seen in the new Player's Handbook, it only takes two pages to describe a race...

However, note that neither of the FR sources linked above mention 'new player races' in their respective descriptions -- just "background information on the lands of Faerûn, a fully detailed town in which to start a campaign, adventure seeds, new monsters, ready-to-play nonplayer characters" for the former, and "new feats, new character powers, new paragon paths and epic destinies, and even a brand-new character class". If you've listened to the D&D podcast concerning the Realms (4/11), Rich Baker and Bruce Cordell noted that there's a lot of information to fit into 288 pages; most regions/lands/kingdoms/etc. get 2 pages at the most (though there is an occasional exception, such as Waterdeep at 6 pages); there was also no mention of new races in the podcast itself (though they were focusing on the Campaign Guide and not necessarily the Player's Guide, which is where I would expect any new player races to be described).

I got flak in another thread for questioning the inclusion of genasi as a player race in some region, and I look at it this way -- after years of playing in home games and RPGA, if you expect nothing and get it, you're no worse off; but if you expect everything and don't get it, then only you are to blame when reality comes crashing down around you. :raincloud
Probably because it is very close to GenCon Indy, so getting new/newer scenarios appears to cause the organisers some very major problems - particularly recently when the 'Extended Premier' program was discontinued.

From lurking on various boards/lists it appears that Dragon*Con would love to offer LFR, but which modules will be available is very unclear, as with the RPGA you can never really guarantee that a module will be available until it is in the ordering database, and none of the LFR modules are there yet.

I considered that as well, that they might not want to promise it or list modules that they weren't 100% sure would be there. Hoping that it all comes through, as that was the biggest reason I planned on going to Dragon Con
In notes from DDXP, Brand did say that PC races were included in the FRPG. Another poster (who took better notes than I did) cited that drow and genasi are in the book according to that same seminar at DDXP. See

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=999255

Also, the preview that WotC recently posted on the FR said PC races were included in the FRPG.

Keith

Technically gnomes are still part of the setting. If they weren't you wouldn't be able to play them at all even with a gaming card...

...and what others are you talking about? Your the only one who actually said anything about it.
Technically gnomes are still part of the setting. If they weren't you wouldn't be able to play them at all even with a gaming card...

...and what others are you talking about? Your the only one who actually said anything about it.

I said something about it, too.
I said something about it, too.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding. I'm talking about responses to my post saying specifically that one cannot play a gnome without a game card, that's all.

Anyway, I'm accidentally steering this thread in the wrong direction. In response to the thread's question. I believe we will be able to start as soon as the forgotten realms material has been out for a little while, probably mid-August, although this is just speculation. There is also the factor of when WotC gets its online services complete, which will allow a large number of people who ordinarily are unable to attend GenCons to play.

So I guess its sort of a mixed deadline, and btw, I'm really confusing myself right now, so if I'm offending anyone please ignore the angry blue goblin.

Edit: Nvm, just read the LFGCS thread. That thread should answer this thread pretty nicely. :D