What parts of Forgotten Realms will be included?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
WoTC seems to be running behind on developping things for 4rth edition. For example, the online character builder still isn't online even though the books have been released. This has me wondering how much of what makes Forgotten Realms special will be included in the Living Forgotten Realms game.

For example, what about all the special classes available on Forgotten Realms? It looks like they are only going to include the base classes in the PHB right now. What about Wild Magic? What about Shadowweave? I spent some time perusing my 3.5 edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and there is a HUGE amount of special information not available int he base 4rth edition, and it has me wondering if Living Forgotten Realms will be the special and complex world that the old players will love, or if it will be just another generic fantasy world with different names for the cities and gods.

Anyone know if the additional classes, magics, etc will be available in Living Forgotten Realms?

Thanks,
Boojum the brown bunny
First of all, there's a difference between "what's available at the start", and "what becomes available". That's one of the issues with playing the game at the very release of a new ruleset...the designers haven't had a chance to fill in all the corners yet.

The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide comes out in September, and I have a feeling that's a book that'll start to address your concerns. (Keep in mind that when the old FR campaign, Living City, transitioned over to 3E, there was a considerable amount of time between the 3E changeover and the release of the FRCS book.)
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
This is more a question about what is going to be included in the Forgotten Realms universe than what I (or the next guy) can play. For example, Forgotten Realms has patches of Wild magic. It's got ShadowWeave (a seperate magic system). If the Living Forgotten Realms campaign doesn't include such things, then is it really Forgotten Realms or is it just another generic fantasy world.

Elves, Dwarves, Humans, even Tieflings do not define what makes Forgotten Realms. It's the very rich campaign world. Everyone has been very focussed on "What can my character do" and I don't feel that the nature of what will be Living Forgotten Realms has been discussed much...

For example, in Fogotten Realms there are chartered adventuring groups. If your not a member of one of these groups then many civilized towns will not let you walk around in full armor with all your weapons. This is not so much "Can my character use a sword" as "What will the feel of the realm be."

I'm hoping they DO include much of the stuff from the old Forgotten Realms campaign books... but I'm worried they won't.. or they won't until the game is 2/3 over and there is no chance to explore it anymore.

Boojum the brown bunny
Keep in mind that the timeline in the Realms is being bumped up by 100 years for 4E, compared to 3E / 3.5, and that some significant events have happened in the meantime.

There *were* wild magic zones. There *was* a Shadoweave. I'm not sure that it's safe to say that these things will exist in the same form in the new Realms, much less the 4E game version of the Realms.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
On a related note, and it's a fan who say that...

the special and complex world that the old players will love, or if it will be just another generic fantasy world with different names for the cities and gods.

FR was always a very generic fantasy world. Very developped, well done, but quite generic.

And as he said, new era. Things changed. But ALL of the Realms as presented in the books and official material will be offered; notice that regions will not limit you as much as in LGH. You can play a foreigner, and adventures will be adaptables around.
I REALLY hope they don't just drop all of that... and I don't agree that Forgotten Realms was a generic fantasy world. Not with all the material that the campaign book had in it. If they drop all the stuff that was unique to Forgotten Realms, then why bother changing at all? Just keep it Oerth.

Does anyone know if they are going to keep any of the unique stuff other than the names of Gods, towns, and significant people? Has anything been released on the topic?

Boojum
I meaned, it was ALWAYS like that. Very developed, alive... but default, vanila tolkien-like fantasy. For different fantasy, you have to look out of the Big Three and Mystara; things like Dark Sun, Eberron, etc..

Why would they drop anything? And how it would work different than the common DM using the setting for his own game?
Let me see if I can answer the question without talking about something I shouldn't.

We are directed to write and produce D&D adventures set in the Forgotten Realms. First, the D&D adventures part, then the FR part.

We did divide the Realms up into regions, and each region will have its distinctive flavor.

We were provided with some NDA material on FR (in addition to us accessing older material) to help us write adventures in our respective region. (If it was to be generic, why would they have bothered?)

Ancient history may be the reason behind a current adventure, but we won't demand that all/any players be FR historians. Does that make sense?

In Waterdeep, for example, we will try to keep the kinds of action/encounters/situations appropriate to which Ward of the city (or vice versus), but the adventures will NOT be a tour guide...on the right, you see bldg X, it was built in 1152 DR by Fred, ...

The FR has jumped 94 years after the Spellplague, so between the Spellplague and the timeline jump, there are some changes, more in some regions than in others. Some of this is to free up the role for PCs to go on adventures (rather than wonder why some powerful NPC has not already addressed the problem).

My guess is most players will like and will enjoy the LFR adventures. It will be hard to please everyone (and with every adventure).

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
So long as you make an effort to make sure that the people who sleep with a FR book under their pillow enjoy the adventures in Waterdeep as much as the people who only know about the Realms from a few books and maybe a video game or two.

A lot of us are coming out of Living Greyhawk from regions torn by war for quite some time. There are a lot of us who'd enjoy a bit of a change. And Kobolds, we definitely want to play Kobolds.
Does anyone know if they are going to keep any of the unique stuff other than the names of Gods, towns, and significant people? Has anything been released on the topic?

Boojum

Have you looked at the Countdown to the Forgotten Realms articals in Dragon Magazine?
Writing Director - Returned Abeir
So long as you make an effort to make sure that the people who sleep with a FR book under their pillow enjoy the adventures in Waterdeep as much as the people who only know about the Realms from a few books and maybe a video game or two.

A lot of us are coming out of Living Greyhawk from regions torn by war for quite some time. There are a lot of us who'd enjoy a bit of a change. And Kobolds, we definitely want to play Kobolds.

And I'm still waiting for the errata that gives them at least low-light vision, if not darkvision. Sorry for going off topic, but suddenly going from a kobold that can see in complete darkness to one that needs a torch is kinda self defeating.
And I'm still waiting for the errata that gives them at least low-light vision, if not darkvision. Sorry for going off topic, but suddenly going from a kobold that can see in complete darkness to one that needs a torch is kinda self defeating.

Have you considered that maybe the reason that PC kobold (if in fact they are allowed) is out adventuring in the first place is because he was kicked out of his tribe for being a mutant (i.e., no darkvision)? :P
First of all, there's a difference between "what's available at the start", and "what becomes available". That's one of the issues with playing the game at the very release of a new ruleset...the designers haven't had a chance to fill in all the corners yet.

The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide comes out in September, and I have a feeling that's a book that'll start to address your concerns. (Keep in mind that when the old FR campaign, Living City, transitioned over to 3E, there was a considerable amount of time between the 3E changeover and the release of the FRCS book.)

Let's see...LC converted January 2001...we got the book May 2001...so a 5 month wait before anyone could see what was available...and another 2 month wait before Origins and the stuff became legal

This is much better

Tom