New Dragon Magazine Content - LFR compatible?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This has been somewhat covered in the RPGA character creation guidelines released recently by the RPGA but I wanted to target specific content and get an understanding of what to expect in a general sense.

Shawn,

I understand that the LFR campaign sourcebook and guidelines have not yet been released and as such, a lot is currently up in the air (or isn't but you can't tell us yet). However, I noticed that there is a new Dragon Article that contains some new powers for Wizards (illusion powers, specifically) currently up on DDI.

Can we expect this content to be core for LFR? If you can't speak to whether or not this specific content will be core, can you speak to whether such tidbits found on the DDI will typically be made core for LFR as they are released?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
Honestly, I don't know what the status of such material will be, or if or how it will be incorporated into the campaign.

Speaking not as a campaign admin but as a fan of the game and a member of the RPGA, I do know that Chris Tulach (and therefore the RPGA) is working more closely with R&D to make transition of material smoother. I do know (because R&D has talked about it frequently and publicly) that the hope is to make DDI in general, and Dungeon and Dragon magazines specifically) more closely associated to what we mean when we say "core rules."

Taking those things together, it is fairly obvious that the campaign will use rules items that appear in places other than the "three main books." How those rules items get introduced into the campaign, on what schedule they are introduced, if any will be restricted, etc. are still in the planning stages, as far as I know and as far as I can say.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn.... very helpful response.
Dave Kay LFR Writing Director Retiree dkay807 [at] yahoo [dot] com
Helpful?! Darn! I have to go back to take more classes in Admin Doublespeak.
Helpful?! Darn! I have to go back to take more classes in Admin Doublespeak.

Either that, or you are VERY good :D
It can't be that.
It can't be that.

You are responding to a recent writer of several mods for LG. They're now handing out a secret decoder ring if you do that. ;)
I am a bit confused - under the RPGA CCG it specifically says under "Content Allowed" for Dragon Magazine "All except magic items and rituals". If spells are not to be automatically allowed, someone needs to revise the CCG at the next update in July.
I am a bit confused - under the RPGA CCG it specifically says under "Content Allowed" for Dragon Magazine "All except magic items and rituals". If spells are not to be automatically allowed, someone needs to revise the CCG at the next update in July.

Each campaign gets to set its own specific rules. It may mean everything is in, it may mean they get to decide whether or not to allow questionably balanced content in.

Bear in mind that even though I am one of the regional admins I haven't seen anything on the LFR appendix yet but it has already been said that Dragon content will not be legal until the entire issue has been published (e.g. at the moment the warforged article is up but not all the rest of the magazine is). I could easily see a system whereby each article is flagged with an LFR symbol if it is allowed in LFR. This could easily be expanded to include various D&D campaigns allowing an easy mechansim for campaigns to restrict items that do not fit the campaign's theme (e.g. warforged characters).

Kithran
Luruar POC
Kithran - that is an awesome idea and something I was kind of hoping they would do. It was done in arcanis with all their add-on books, and it worked great (it was easy to tell looking through the book what you could and could not use, instead of having to go through five pages worth of access notes to figure it out)

I know Arcanis is a different publisher, and no longer supported by the RPGA, but this would still be a nice feature to have if only selected bits of dragon magazine are going to be included in the campaign (rather than all of it)
I highly suspect any Dragon content will have notes indicating if a particular campaign will or will not allow it.

That way you don't have to keep updating the campaign guidelines.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
I highly suspect any Dragon content will have notes indicating if a particular campaign will or will not allow it.

That way you don't have to keep updating the campaign guidelines.

With the possible exception of a given campaign's appendix limiting option "A" "B" or "C" - the Character Creation Guidelines states that ALL Dragon content (excepting magic items and rituals).

Furthermore Chris Tulach has said:
This will be clarified in version 1.1. Simply put, if it's in Dragon, and it's a player resource, it's allowed. There will be few modifications to this.

We won't need to issue a monthly document, since I anticipate very few items in Dragon that are obviously for player use (classes, races, paragon paths, feats, powers, etc.) being restricted in any RPGA program. Magic items and rituals fall into a different category because we have an access system being set up for those.

The thing I find interesting is that he mentions "any RPGA program" (emphasis mine).

It looks like WotC is taking their holistic approach pretty seriously in 4E. OP, Magazines, and Core Books are all part of the same beast "for reals". No more feeling like each is a separate entity unto itself.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I liked the way LG did it where if it was a not in the core rulebooks it was mentioned in the mod what it was and what it did. This makes it easier on us who want to GM but feel a little bit crimped for money with Gas Prices over $4.00 and milk going up 27 % in two months. Although I play a lot of D&D, I think eating is more important than purchasing an online subscription to a Magazine that I then have to spend my own money on paper and ink to print out. If I am forced to subscribe to the online Magazine I will probably not be running LFG adventures once they start charging for DDI.

If one the other hand RPGA puts up LFG updates in a PDF format, I will happily download it. (Although I will still have to use my own ink and paper to print it out. )

Spojie the Wonder Mutt
The fact that if something is made available in another source than the three core books to players does not in any way means the DM has to buy it. There still is a New Rules Item appendix in the adventure. Mind you, in 4E they have seperated monsters/NPCs from PCs and the rules rarely cross over so those things available to players are rarely used in adventures (e.g. paragon paths for example are virtually never used for NPCs).