LFR Core Special at Gen Con

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am playing the LFR Core Special first thing Thursday at Gen Con. This will literally be the first mod played for everyone at the table. No one will have previous mods under their belt. This means that no one will have any “extras’ in order to make the mod more survivable. Now usually specials are killer mods. Is my first experience with LFR going to be a TPK?

Lary Wesley
Absolutely!
Ok, but seriously, I cannot say whether it will be or not. All I can say is that specials will be slightly more difficult than regional and core adventures and that it will offer slightly better rewards than regional and core adventures. The special will be playtested with 1st level characters with no extra equipment (at least) to see how they fare.

So can I promise that there won't be TPKs? Of course not. That is as much up to the DM and players than it is the adventure. I can promise that we will put out as good a product as we can for the players, with the sole purpose of hoping the players have fun.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
Will the core special be availible for home play? And will it have the same access as if I had played it at the con? I would rather drop my Thursday Core Special game, then play and get hosed. I don't want to be set up for failure by having all brand new characters. I want my first experience with LFR to be enjoyable.

Lary Wesley
I have no insight as to the difficulty of the LFR Special (didn't write it, have not read it, plan to play it). However, to calibrate Shawn's comparison to a regional adventure, I think if a group has a TPK in a regional adventure, something went seriously wrong in the running of the adventure.

4E D&D actually builds characters that are effective in combat (perhaps in spite of some players desires) and the challenges will be balanced between some range of standard challenge, little bit tougher or little bit easier. The two preview adventures (Scalegloom Hall, and Escape from Sembia) had more encounters at that level of toughness than I would expect for a standard adventure. Whether they will be comparable to a special, I don't know.

Granted, if the players refuse to use their character powers and try to talk to a bunch of ghouls, that might be a bad outcome, but that seems unlikely to me. Granted, there might be the odd DM who decides to pump up the challenge and adds monsters or raises stats, just to rack up a TPK. Hopefully DMs will learn that is not facilitating fun for the players (and unless the players really like dying gloriously).

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
Well, I did write part of it, have read it, and cannot play it. I'm not sure if there in anything I can say that can be reassuring. If I say, "No fears, it is going to be a breeze" then the players who look for Specials to be a challenge gripe, or a table of 4 wizards sits down with a DM who knows how to swing the lumber, and then I am called a liar.

I am not writing my part of the Special to be a TPK-inducing adventure. People who have played other Specials I have been a part of can attest that I try to be fair and promote a good time at the table. I do not revel in PC deaths (unless the table explicitly states they want a DM who revels in PC deaths). That's about all I can say.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
I do not revel in PC deaths (unless the table explicitly states they want a DM who revels in PC deaths).

(psst, Shawn, are you talking about me again?)
:evillaugh
Herrbard a.k.a. Dan Erbacher Old, bald and tired.
Yes, Dan, you are the exception that proves the rule!
to the OP:
I too am going to be kicking off LFR Thursday morning with the core special. Nothing like hitting the ground running heh? Besides my true dungeon runs got in the way and Thursday was the only time I could get two LFR spots together without doing the holy-crud-thats-late slot. So I hope to see you there and if needed you can hide behind my Gnome Warlock. Honest... I won't teleport away or anything. (Evil Grin)
I demand more Dragon! MORE DRAGONS THAT BE HERE!
-Pot Stirrer. -Because I can. Co-Author Neth 3-3 Seek and Destroy. (Now with 10% more diplomacy!) Author ELTU 4-3 Minutes to Midnight (Waiting on Release) ABSO 4-2. (I really am working on this I promise!)
Will the core special be availible for home play? And will it have the same access as if I had played it at the con?

I'd like to know that as well. :D
3 friends and I will also be playing the special at 8:00am on Thursday.

I played LG for a year, but it's the first time the 3 of them have played a living campaign. This is also the first Gencon for all of us.

It took me a year to convince them to try a living campaign, so i REALLY hope they don't start out with the rancid taste of TPK in their mouths.
I'm running the special at GenCon, but have not yet seen any of it.

Having said that... I was a playtester, and I've run a few of the preview mods already. My only recommendation is, players need to focus much more on teamwork in 4e, IMHO -- combats last much longer (no more auto-kills by the creature with the highest initiative in the surprise round*), no more super huge numbers from Power Attack (yay!), and the PC who decides to showboat by thinking he can take on every single monster in the room singlehandedly will get his proverbial butt kicked...

* Unless, I suppose, it's a dragon winning initiative ;)
Well it looks like we have 5 players and a judge. So what are we waiting for? Let's play!
Will the core special be availible for home play? And will it have the same access as if I had played it at the con? I would rather drop my Thursday Core Special game, then play and get hosed. I don't want to be set up for failure by having all brand new characters. I want my first experience with LFR to be enjoyable.

Lary Wesley

This hasn't been answered yet, maybe it can't be answered yet, but I'm interested in the answer. I know some of the LG specials became available for "Home Play", will at least some of the LFR specials also do this?
There is no answer yet, as I don't think a decision has been made yet. However, it is likely that there are going to be some convention-only adventures, some retail-only adventures, and maybe even some homeplay-only adventures. So the LFR special could very well be a convention-only adventure, and that could also mean at a limited number of conventions.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
Thanks for the responce. Hopefully these things will be announced by the time the character creation guide is out.
* Unless, I suppose, it's a dragon winning initiative ;)

Muahaahaahaahaa....

Action points and Dragons.....bad news for players.

I'll be judging it, so it'll be interesting to see what new and interesting monsters will hit the table.

I'm also a secret admirer of Kobolds...shift shift shift...flank +12 hit with the dragonshield...*SMACK*
I don't know if it will be available for home games, but it will be running again at PAX in Seattle a couple weeks after GenCon. Also will likely be at GenCon UK.

-Robert A.
PAX RPGA Guy