Preview modules and Characters

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do the players have to use the Pre-gen characters or can they make their own?

If they make their own can they be kept as characters for LFR if reported?

Also If the adjustment for FR is used can 'H1 Keep on the Shadowfell' be used to play for LFR? before proper modules are released for LFR?
Answering question two first: no, playing PREV-1 or PREV-2 (or PREV-3 at/after Origins) will have no bearing whatsoever on LFR. They are merely introductions to 4e and (in the case of PREV-1 and PREV-2) slight introductions to the 4e Forgotten Realms in which LFR is set.

Question three: no. While H1 may become available for RPGA play, it is not going to ever be available for LFR play. No LFR campaign documentation will ever be released for it.

Which leaves question one: I don't personally think anyone cares how the PREV modules are run, so do what your group thinks best. Note that PREV-3 will require players to create their own characters, and the RPGA Character Creation Guide has rules explaining what rules items are available (though in fact no-one is going to know if you depart from those rules when playing PREV-3 in private).

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Thanks just wanted to know incase I get asked about it. Figured that was correct answer but assumptions are the first step in making a mistake.
#1 - The modules are just as they state previews. The pregen characters are there so you can just download and go. If your players want to create characters to play then go for it. Cant think of a better way to preview 4th edition than sitting down and making your own characters.

#2 - And no the modules are just there for a preview. To get people used to the new system. And it would be hard to be able to keep characters created prior to the character creation guidelines are known for the campaign.

#3 - I am going to hold a wait and see attitude to this. I have seen the posts where they said it would not be converted etc. But those posts came just before WOTC put out their FR conversion for the module. I wouldnt make any decisions on it until after the LRCS is put out and the campaign kicks off in August. Several people in my group are waiting to see just in case we can play it for LFR.
Do the players have to use the Pre-gen characters or can they make their own?

If they make their own can they be kept as characters for LFR if reported?

Also If the adjustment for FR is used can 'H1 Keep on the Shadowfell' be used to play for LFR? before proper modules are released for LFR?

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page and to remove any ambiguity:

1. Use the fastplays or make your own. Either is fine.
2. No one will receive LFR credit for characters that play through the preview adventures.
3. H1 will not be available for play as an LFR adventure.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin