I'm back!!! A few questions about LFR

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. Is there a campaign standards available yet?

2. How does the regional system work? Are TU's here? Can I run adventures from say Baldur's Gate if I'm in the Southeaster US?

More questions to come as I think of them.
1. Is there a campaign standards available yet?

2. How does the regional system work? Are TU's here? Can I run adventures from say Baldur's Gate if I'm in the Southeaster US?

1) Not yet.

2) Mainly the regional system is used to administrative purposes. There no plans for TUs, and you can run most adventures anywhere. So far the only known example of modules that you can't run anywhere is the Core Special which is supposed to have a limited life span and only be played at conventions. There are sure to be other such modules as time goes on, but other than the handful that are specifically limited, all adventures are able to be ran and played anywhere (as they become available to home or game day play.)
You can run adventures from Baldur's Gate anywhere, so also in the Southeaster US.
There are not campaign standards yet. There is no official statement on TUs yet.
Looking at the levels of the mods I am a bit worried. IS LFR going to be a level bump game or are all this years mods low level because no is expected to hit high enough levels to need higher level mods this year ? Are next years mod going to include APL 2 mods still ?
Looking at the levels of the mods I am a bit worried. IS LFR going to be a level bump game or are all this years mods low level because no is expected to hit high enough levels to need higher level mods this year ? Are next years mod going to include APL 2 mods still ?

I think the only answer that can be given here isn't really going to satisfy you - wait for the campaign guidelines, however I can answer one of your questions. The RPGA has two types of campaigns - living campaigns (LG, LFR etc) where you always start at first level and the only way to get to a higher level is to earn xp in modules and D&D campaigns (XE etc) where there are regular level bumps and you start new characters at whatever the current level is.

Kithran
Luruar POC

There aren't any level bumps (a hallmark of the "D&D Campaign" format - "Living Campaign" doesn't feature bumps).

Instead of an APL, modules that are written are written to cover a "level band" - any character in that band can play that module. 4 1st levels and 2 4th levels? Great! Legal table, go have fun.

Somewhere I've seen it suggested that if you play ALL of the modules available in the first round of modules, you *should* get enough experience to bring 2 characters to 5th level (ready for the next round of modules) and even have some leftover for a 3rd character.

I'd speculate (with no basis for it, not even rumors, just my own opinion) that next year we'll see modules written to cover the starting levels again, if only because with the PHB II there will be new race and/or class options that people will want to play.

Again, this is all just me cobbling together bits and pieces I've seen/heard elsewhere on these forums and assorted mailing lists, so take it all with a grain or three of salt. Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, void where prohibited.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Another speculative reason that they are doing it by 'level band' rather than APL is because there is no way that 'Paragon Tier' characters and 'Heroic Tier' characters are balanced in the same party. The aditional abilities, stat bumps, and better feats make an 11th level character vastly more powerful than a level 10 character. Hence the old notion of 'APL 10' dosn't really hold.

I theorize that, instead, they will have a level band of 7th-10th (possibly 6th-10th) and a level band of 11th-14th (or 15th).

I am encouraged that (if you play everything) you can bring 2 characters to level 5. I like playing different characters at different times, and plan to do a lot of my gaming online for this campaign.
Thanks for the replies, I didnt like Eberron etc due to the way characters level so levelling just through experience is good for me
Sign In to post comments