A little lost - LFR starting group

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok I am a litle at lost, maybe you guys can provide me with some help.
Currently I am running a group as DM for severeal years now and we are having great fun. Although having heard about the LFR and the RPGA, i want me and my players to be a part in it.
Having contacted my local gaming shop about what help or information the could give me ofcourse, but unfortunatly, the are just to preoccupied with other games and can hardly tell me anything.
As I am living in the Netherlands, i can't parcipate in a RPGA sanctioned event, since there are hardly any!
Now how can I become a RPGA sanctioned DM so i can atleast run home sessions in LFR? Any suggestions?
On a side note I am also part in a student society, consisting of only gamers and we are busy of setting up some permanent D&D grps, is there some way i can give sanctioned event with them? Who do I contact? What do I need? And can i give them a ongoing LFR campaign which they can adventure in?

For those who answer thank you for our time and reading this, my group atleast is very excited about LFR, so your help is greatly apprecieted!
Actually after looking on the event calender, I see that there are no RPGA events in the NEtherland or surrounding countries till the end of the year!
That is making me a sad panda I mean only in the city i live i easily know 30 people who play D&D with ungoing games etc.
I am sure you can give well visited events throughout the Netherlands, that would be very well visited, are we completly depended on how active our local gaming stores on getting events here?
While we don't have a lot of Cons, there are several RPGA events in the Netherlands.
There are RPGA events at every Ducosim, though for some reason that isn't exactly advertised - should work on that. Ducosim is in the Utrecht Jaarbeurs 4x a year. Next one is saterday, september 6.
We also have several game days/cons each year. Info on these events were generally posted to the regional mailinglists in LG (i.e. the Sunndi yahoo mailinglist). I am not sure how this will work in LFR since 'regional' lists may not necessarily be the best place to communicate 'local' events.
I know there will be a D&D gameday on the 7th of june (not LFR, but a 4th ed intro day).
These will take place in the Koornbeurs in Delft (not sure on hours), and in subcultures (a gameshop) in Utrecht.
There will be several people that are active in the RPGA living campaigns, so if you can drag yourself to these events you can probably get a good idea of how to form your own groups or participate in events.

Gomez
ok thank you for your reply, yes was maybe hasty with my arguments but it would be best, to have Ducosim events posted on the event calender then
I know of the Koornbeurs in Delft and some other gaming stores in Holland where you can participate in the d&d intro day, but at those events can you become a member of RPGA? Would love to, since tbh 7th septembre is a month later then when the first LFR adventer will hit and i would like to run it ASAP.
You know how its like to dissapoint 5 players saying to them they have to wait for a month before something actually hit to be able to play it
Well, LFR only starts in august so if you wish to particpate in that campaign you need some patience.
Becomign a member is not too hard. I have a set of RPGA membership cards through which you can join.
I don't know yet if I will be at the intro day. If so I likely be in Utrecht. However if you PM me your snailmail address I can send you a set of cards to fill in and send in (not sure how long it takes until you are actually registered though).
You still need to qualify as a Herald-level DM. There is a program for that at:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/gmprogram/herald
You first need to be registered to do the test. The test is likely still 3.5 based, I don't know when the test changes to 4th ed rules.
The other thing you can do when there aint no events near you, you can always email the rpga and get a number

Take a look at this thread -> http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=629833

Normally they answer your email in a couple of days and you get your number and everything, after that you only have to take the herald level test, that aint too hard, and off you go

Could be that you will have to take the test again or anything like that when it updates to 4th ed.

Axel Sabitzer - POC Southern Europe/Turkey
Cool thanx guys thats what i want to hear My snail mail will me pmed
(1) As mentioned, your first step in organizing an event is to pass the Herald-level GM test. (Currently 3.5 version.)

(2) Once you pass, you will remain certified. (There are no immediate plans to re-test GM's with 4th Edition.)

(3) If you can't wait until August, then once you pass the test, you can download the two 4.0 Preview Adventures. (They are listed as Living Forgotten Realms, but use pre-generated characters.)

Happy Gaming!

~Dan

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

Thanx guys, there are some cards on their way to me so I hope i can a number soon and take the GM test.
Looking forward to get started
Well, I can guarantee you there will be RPGA membership cards available in Delft during the World Wide Gameday. Both the organizer and I have a couple of dozen of those and we are both going to run games. I PMed you the E-mail adress of the organizer (or I will in a couple of minutes).

Ducosim is a game day, and it should show up on the calander, but since I have not yet ordered an adventure for comming Ducosim it obviously does not show yet. Most games in the Netherlands are actually home games (e.g. I am running two in the coming three weeks) and those do not show up on the calander. It makes it a bit difficult for new gamers to join the incrowd (focussed on Delft and Utrecht), and I have tried to generate more interest in convention type of games, but apparently the Dutch do not like gamedays all that much.

Pieter Sleijpen
RPGA LFR Global Administrator
and Dutch gamer ;)
Well, it's not always that easy to arrange for a place that has enough room and is affordable.
Maybe I can find something in Hilversum... (they are experts here in cramming loads of people in a small studio and still make it look big...).
Btw, I already sent a set of RPGA cards, since I didn't know who is going to show up where.

Gomez,
who isn't sure if he can go to the gameday, but who would really like to *play* 4th ed. for a change...
Ok thanks for the work guys, I am quite interested in the idea of gamedays though since only Ducosim having sanctioned RPGA seems to little, at least to me. As I said I know lost of more ppl that would be interested and maybe I will get things started here, very soon and have several ppl running home events, maybe i can get those people to attend Ducosim aswell this year.
I understand the problem with looking for big enough places to have events, which are affordable. I was thinking of looking for some place myself which is affordable
We got the same issues here in austria but there are hardly any gamedays or anything. Im working on that

Axel Sabitzer
POC - Southern Europe/Turkey
Brightbane,

Just popping in here to tell you I read this. Please contact me at the address Pieter supplied and we can work something out. Pieter and I have been trying to get more people interested and adding an entire city to the playerbase sound like a nice plan.

Renout van Rijn
Sunndi Triad PoC (for the few remaining days)
Organizer Worldwide Gameday 2008 Delft
Brightbane,

Just popping in here to tell you I read this. Please contact me at the address Pieter supplied and we can work something out. Pieter and I have been trying to get more people interested and adding an entire city to the playerbase sound like a nice plan.

Renout van Rijn
Sunndi Triad PoC (for the few remaining days)
Organizer Worldwide Gameday 2008 Delft

Yarr! In the light of that information, I'm looking for a game Lets get organised! Has been too long for me to be inactive in Dnd and with the comming of 4th edition, I'm planning to play games on a regular base. With my friends comming to live close to me, who own a HUGE house (building it), that spells gaming room too. Rawr. But this is all in the future. For now, I'm more then willing to even set up home play or participate in a home campain, just to get to learn the new way of playing. Indeed we dutchies should get together, and not just the 'in crowd', Pieter referred too. Maybe that crowd could help with teaching 4th edition to the rest, organising some tables themselves?

Meh, I'm rambling, but I can't help myself! I love these times and wanna kick off gaming. ARE YOUW ITH MEEEEEEEEE??! *charges off*

-Mark L

-Mark L.
Lol Mark you sure are excited
Where do you life mate? I have several groups about to start (when LFR kicks in, and we have everyone signed up etc, fingers crossed) and room for more players, just check this forum: www.duivelsei.nl and hope to speak to you soon!
The information below assumes that everything runs the same way that Living Greyhawk and Arcanis did...

Even if there are no events near you, once you register as a Herald Level DM you can order modules to run form home. The first time you order modules, they also send you several RPGA membership sign up cards, so you can get all your players signed up right away!

The only time going to a nearby event is neccessary is if you the DM want to play the modules before running them, because once you run them you are no longer able to play it (this is known as 'eating the mod')
The information below assumes that everything runs the same way that Living Greyhawk and Arcanis did...

Even if there are no events near you, once you register as a Herald Level DM you can order modules to run form home. The first time you order modules, they also send you several RPGA membership sign up cards, so you can get all your players signed up right away!

The only time going to a nearby event is neccessary is if you the DM want to play the modules before running them, because once you run them you are no longer able to play it (this is known as 'eating the mod')

Well, a little bird has told me the ability to play a mod after running it is being considered. Now, I'm against it for the simple reason that if you can play mods even after knowing how they turn out (what the solution to the puzzle is, where the trap is and how to disarm it, what not to say to P.O. the King and thus loose all access, etc) then authors will write mods to exclude such things.

No more puzzles, ever. No more diplomacizing to avoid sticky situations, ever. No more fiendishly clever traps, ever. Because authors will start to see folks going through for the fifth time with full knowledge of how it is played and "go for the win!" With that in mind, it will be about challenging the players which will mean all combat, all the time.

Let's face it, if you know what's coming up, the only thing that is a challenge is the judge's tactics in combat. Static things like traps and puzzles and scripted things like how an NPC responds to roleplay aren't a challenge. After all, traps wait for you to show up, a puzzle's answer doesn't change and the motivations of the NPC remain the same every time you run that mod.

Miles
Let's face it, if you know what's coming up, the only thing that is a challenge is the judge's tactics in combat. Static things like traps and puzzles and scripted things like how an NPC responds to roleplay aren't a challenge. After all, traps wait for you to show up, a puzzle's answer doesn't change and the motivations of the NPC remain the same every time you run that mod.

Add a few variables, don't remove traps & puzzles.

Multiple possible traps, might not be the same trap in the same location.

Different puzzles. If the players answer a puzzle with the answer from a different puzzle, that would be a fail.

NPCs will tend to act the same, but sometimes they can be given different choices.

One of the issues with LG is the ability to create not just a Diplo-monkey, but actual Diplo-Kongs. One of the PCs in the group I tend to play with has a Diplomacy modifier, before rolling or anyone in the party does Aid Another, of +33 (at 5th level, IIRC). Not to mention that he is a Marshal, with an 18 Charisma, and Motivate Charisma running, so even the Dwarf with a 6 Charisma gets a +2 to Diplomacy as an untrained skill, so odds are that he gets a majority of the party to successfully Aid, for an easy time to get the 50 needed to turn a hostile NPC friendly. Believe me, even from the player side, it is obvious that that character's build breaks a lot of encounters...

Miles

Perhaps a quick read of the DMG will show you that traps and hazards are anything but static in 4E. They are imho one of the biggest improvements over 3E.

Similarly, skill challenges can be resolved in a myriad of ways and you will see traps, hazards and skill challenges all or partly wrapped up in combat situations in LFR. The versatility of encounter creation in 4E is really standing out to me as I write my Dragon Coast adventure.

I said this at DDXP when some of the admins attended an R&D workshop, that the blueprint for encounters seems to stem from the Indiana Jones movies; creative, mobile and fun.

Joe
Joe Fitzgerald | joerpga[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]au LFR Global Administrator
Perhaps a quick read of the DMG will show you that traps and hazards are anything but static in 4E. They are imho one of the biggest improvements over 3E.

Similarly, skill challenges can be resolved in a myriad of ways and you will see traps, hazards and skill challenges all or partly wrapped up in combat situations in LFR. The versatility of encounter creation in 4E is really standing out to me as I write my Dragon Coast adventure.

I said this at DDXP when some of the admins attended an R&D workshop, that the blueprint for encounters seems to stem from the Indiana Jones movies; creative, mobile and fun.

Joe

Truth be told, I haven't done more than peruse the DMG yet. My point was more of a practical thing. Traps are in a room or at a certain site. They are like landmine fields. Todays smart mines, sorry smart munitions, mines are banned. Today's smart munitions have all kinds of variable timers and even shut themselves' off after a certain period. They can be set up to trigger against troops only or armor only. But in the end, they don't move. Once you've found the field and mapped out its boundaries you can bypass it every time. Even folks who didn't know it was there in the first place need only look for tripple strand barbed wire and a red triangle sign with the word Mine or Minas or the cyrilic thereof and hey! presto! the minefield is a non entity no matter how cool it is.

I'm not sure how the 4e DMG tells folks to handle traps. I know encounter traps were set up to be wicked tough to make up for the old style traps falling off in utility at higher levels. I'm sure 4e traps will be as interesting. But barring a Judge instruction entry along the lines of "If there are players at the table who have gone through this two times, move the traps to location C. Three times, Location X. Four times . . . " traps will be in the same place everytime, even if this one is more fiendishly clever than the last time folks ran through that mod. Granted we're already asking "so who played mods X, Y and Z with this character and mod A at all?" at the beginning of an adventure, so adding "who has played this before and how many times" is just one more step in set up.

Same with diplomacy. If King Belvoir is helpful most times, but becomes wicked tough to deal with if you mention how pretty his daughter is. It is an innocuous comment on the face of it but actually triggers his fears that it will be difficult to deal the 100 million suitors she has for her hand and his throne and thus you loose that wicked cool favor on the AR. This doesn't change because the second time you play it, his only heir is still a beautiful, tempestous young woman with a million and one suitors all salivating over the chance to get at his throne and you're comments will still have him thinking your suitors 1 million two through 1 million seven, thus no favor from the King.

Now in LG if word got out "hey don't compliment King Belvoir's daughter or you loose the favor" that's cheating. In LFR that's either the breaks or there will never be that cool favor or that piece of interaction will be missing because it is too hard to predict how many people will be going through this with a few throw away characters to get it right before bringing in their main. Thus it is better to cut it out and avoid the headaches and a little bit of the game goes missing.

But that's just my take. Kinevon points out the possibility of having the rotating stable of encounters. That is doable. I've seen a mod or two that carry it off to great effect (and much fun, my hat off to Eric Menge). So that may bypass my fear. At the same time you mention the new skill challenge rules. One thing I noticed in my oh so brief perusal of 4e was the scaling effects. The harder it is the more successes you must acheive before a set number of failures. Looks interesting and should mesh well with the living campaign far better than DC APL+X ever did. Such innovations may very well render my take on things moot. Time will tell

Miles