Any idea of what the alloted point buy for LFR characters will be?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Apparently, point buy in 4E works like this.

It's 22-point buy, and five stats start at 10, while the sixth starts at 8. It costs one point for each increase from 9 to 13, two points for each increase from 14 to 16, three points for a 17, and four points for an 18. So a character with the following array would pay this much:

16 (9 points)
14 (5 points)
13 (3 points)
12 (2 points)
11 (1 point)
10 (2 points)

So any word on how point buy in LFR will work? Will it be the same as in the PHB, or different? Thanks.
I think the answer will be 'wait until the campaign standards are released'. Also whilst some people may be getting books early if retailers are shipping/selling prior to the 6th June all the LFR admins are under a NDA thus cannot talk about parts of 4E which haven't been made public until 6th June.

Kithran
Luruar POC
Not being an Administrator for LFR, I can state my opinion (as uninformed as it might be.) My guess would be that if the point buy deviates from the PHB at all, which I don't think it will, it won't do so by much, maybe a few more points to spend. However, I don't actually know anything, and they LFR Administrators have an NDA until June 6 about things dealing with the rules, so we will have to wait and find out.
For the weeks leading up to the release of the LFR Campaign Sourcebook (or whatever it will be called), if people must plan and speculate, they should assume for all things rules related that LFR will follow the D&D rules as described in the PH, DMG, and MM.
I agree with smerwin29 that the core books will be the CC rules more than likely; mostly due to the fact that wizards is taking much greater interest in the rpga as of late. I think one of the biggest things LG did to earn the evil eye from WOTC was to change the rules of the published core 3.5 books. this is much the same way that happened with White Wolf and the Cam. Both organizations took back control of their fan controlled and run organized play group after said group had documentation that changed their, the companies that published the rule books, published material for the intent to use withen their organized play group. Although wotc may have given those running the new living FR to change anything from the core books it is highly unlikely.
I agree with smerwin29 that the core books will be the CC rules more than likely; mostly due to the fact that wizards is taking much greater interest in the rpga as of late. I think one of the biggest things LG did to earn the evil eye from WOTC was to change the rules of the published core 3.5 books. this is much the same way that happened with White Wolf and the Cam. Both organizations took back control of their fan controlled and run organized play group after said group had documentation that changed their, the companies that published the rule books, published material for the intent to use withen their organized play group. Although wotc may have given those running the new living FR to change anything from the core books it is highly unlikely.

Huh????

Care to give some specific examples?

RPGA is RUN by WotC. LG was/is *directly* run by RPGA; it was never a "fan controlled" group. And, LG pretty closely hewed to "by the book" rules, except for rules needed for living-style play.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
RPGA is RUN by WotC. LG was/is *directly* run by RPGA; it was never a "fan controlled" group. And, LG pretty closely hewed to "by the book" rules, except for rules needed for living-style play.

Actually, for a time LFR was run by that offshoot company "Organized Play." Thankfully that disaster has been over for some time.
I think you mean Living City and not LFR. Unless I am having blackouts again.

Shawn
I think you mean Living City and not LFR. Unless I am having blackouts again.

Yup, that was Living City, back in 2002/2003, because RPGA didn't want to run it anymore.

Which still has nothing to do with Living Greyhawk, or Ghostintheshell's assertions.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I wonder what the max level on this is gonna be, too. For the first time, D&D has Epic Levels built right into the PHB. So will they be available in LFR, or not? Damn, I want to see this campaign information, already. ;)
I wonder what the max level on this is gonna be, too. For the first time, D&D has Epic Levels built right into the PHB. So will they be available in LFR, or not? Damn, I want to see this campaign information, already. ;)

From the way they are publishing the modules i.e 1st round for levels 1-3 and then 2nd round levls 4-7. You will probably hit the epic levels the end of 2010 just as a guess. Unless they go back and start making lower levels mods again next year etc. But it seems like they want you to just level away. If you dont split up play opportunities between 2 characters you will be 7th or 8th level by the end of this year if not higher (not sure if there will be a 3rd round of modules this year or not). This is all just speculation from what I have seen so far. Hope I am wrong but we will see here in a month or so.
I'm pretty sure that it won't be possible to play all the 1-4 modules with one character. From what I've seen so far, I'd expect anyone who actually manages to play everything that comes out this year to have an 8th level character and at least another level 6.

..but I just made that up of course ;)

At present I'm expecting it to be 22pb and go all the way to level 30 (though I won't be surprised if it gets cut down from 30 before anyone gets there)
True, even in LG where the PHB went to 20th level, the limit for the game was 16th. I would hope though that it is allowed to go through to 30th level. I could see though epic adventures not being as abundant as the heroic and paragon levels, but I think they should exist and not be apart of a "high level" campaign.
If you read 4.0 method 2 stats 22 points default 8 10 10 10 10 10 basicly 28 points same as LG
nm - Ophiskia is far more comprehensive (and accurate)
If you read 4.0 method 2 stats 22 points default 8 10 10 10 10 10 basicly 28 points same as LG

No it's not, for LG the baseline for stats was 8 so 4e's 10-10-10-10-10-8 baseline would cost 10 points to start off with. If the cost of buying an attribute didn't differ between 3.x and 4e from 14 up, 4e Method 2 would still be the equivalent of a 32 point buy in 3.5. As it is, the difference in costs from 14 up mean that you'd need 30 points in 3.x to buy 4e's default array of 16-14-13-12-11-10.

Buying a stat from 10 to:
14 costs 5 in 4e and 4 in 3.x
15 costs 7 in 4e and 6 in 3.x
16 costs 9 in 4e and 8 in 3.x
17 costs 12 in 4e and 11 in 3.x
18 costs 16 in 4e and 14 in 3.x
I would not be terribly surprised if LFR opted for the Array instead actually (much as I'd dislike that).

I would be surprised, and would also very much dislike it - not only would it make characters rather cookie-cutter, some of the odd stats would also make 1st level characters less powerful (and 1st level is still when PCs need all the edges they can get, although not nearly as much as was the case in 3.x).

Some example arrays you can get with 4e's 22 point buy system, and the points it would've cost to buy those arrays under 3.x rules:

18-14-11-10-10-8 29 points
17-16-11-10-10-8 30 points
16-16-13-11-10-8 30 points
15-15-15-11-10-8 29 points
14-14-14-14-12-8 28 points
14-14-14-13-12-10 29 points
14-14-13-13-12-12 30 points
14-13-13-13-13-13 31 points
True, even in LG where the PHB went to 20th level, the limit for the game was 16th. I would hope though that it is allowed to go through to 30th level. I could see though epic adventures not being as abundant as the heroic and paragon levels, but I think they should exist and not be apart of a "high level" campaign.

Well, truth be told the limit was 20. Then it was cut to 18 with a planed step down to 16th the following year. I know a few guys who played like mad to get to 18 before the cut off. They usually failed because of a lack of mods supporting 16 and 18 that year combined with the difficulty of getting tables to go off at that rarified level. The cut off was put in place because of the difficulties placed on the Living campaign by adjudicating 8th and 9th level spells in specific and the abilities gained between levels 17 - 20 in general.

We might see a handful of dedicated players hit 30th as it becomes possible. Then play at those levels will probably give the Admins the data they need to decide if LFR goes all the way to 30 or not.
The RPGA Character Creation Guide is now available from http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/rpga4_character-creation_v1-0.zip

The LFR appendix isn't there yet (appears to be scheduled for 18 July) but the general rules are to use either the standard array or the 22 point buy from the PH.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

The standard array is also a 22 point buy.

8--->10 (2)
10--->11 (1)
10--->12 (2)
10--->13 (3)
10--->14 (5)
10--->16 (9)

2+1+2+3+5+9=22 points
Some example arrays you can get with 4e's 22 point buy system, and the points it would've cost to buy those arrays under 3.x rules:

18-14-11-10-10-8 29 points
17-16-11-10-10-8 30 points
16-16-13-11-10-8 30 points
15-15-15-11-10-8 29 points
14-14-14-14-12-8 28 points
14-14-14-13-12-10 29 points
14-14-13-13-12-12 30 points
14-13-13-13-13-13 31 points

And that's before adding racial adjustments, which make the advantage of 4.0 stats over 3.x stats even greater for each race.

LFR is almost certain to use the 22 point build from the PHB, which includes the standard array as a special case. THe PHB states "You can use one of three standard methods to geberate ability scores", the methods being 1) standard array, 2) 22 point build, and 3) best 3 of 4 d6 per ability in any order. It alao says "you can't roll ability score for a character you plan to use in RPGA events", eliminating method 3) and giving the impression that you can use either method 1) or method 2).
Errmm... Since the RPGA campaign character creation guide v1.0 (dated June 6,2008) states that you use option 1 or 2 in the PHB. I think that question is answered.

The exact quote is (page 2 of the RPGA® CHARACTER CREATION GUIDE):

Ability scores are never rolled. Use Method 1 or 2 (Player’s Handbook, pages 17-18) to generate ability scores for your character.
Errmm... Since the RPGA campaign character creation guide v1.0 (dated June 6,2008) states that you use option 1 or 2 in the PHB. I think that question is answered.

The question wasn't answered on 05-29-08, which is when the original post was made, hence the asking. :P

Already writing up my LFR character, though. A Human Paladin of Torm who hails originally from Tantras, but spends a lot of time sailing on the Sea of Fallen Stars, travelling back and forth between Aglarond, Impiltur, the Dalelands, Cormyr, and the Dragon Coast (I'm hoping to play in as many regions with one character as is humanly possible and reasonably explained. And considering just how many border the Sea of Fallen Stars... :D ).

The exact quote is (page 2 of the RPGA® CHARACTER CREATION GUIDE):

Ability scores are never rolled. Use Method 1 or 2 (Player’s Handbook, pages 17-18) to generate ability scores for your character.

I understand that to mean that Campaigns can use either of those options. Which option we get in LFR remains to be seen.

Although the fixed array seems unlikely, LG did adopt one for cohorts so it may be that 'TPTB' dislike the min-maxing that point buy allows. I don't know why LG cohorts got stuck with a fixed array so I have no idea how pertinent it is.
If you work it out, you can get the results of that Array with option #2. So if they leave it as written "You can use option #1 or option #2" it works just fine. IF the player chooses option #1.. they will still have a character comparable to option #2 because someone using option #2 could build a character with the same array as #1.