PREV-1&2 on WWD&D Day?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Now that PREV-1 Scalegloom Hall and PREV-2 Escape from Sembia are available to download and run on or after Jun. 6th what are some of your plans? I have downloaded and read them both and would like to allow the players to create their own pc’s. I figure that folks would have had at least 24 hrs. with access to the books (I will be running this game at our FLGS and the books will be there). I just wish there was some additional information about LFR available so that they could begin to create pc’s that could be ported to LFR when the new modules are available for play. Any suggestions?
I am planning to do the same and have already ordered the 2 mods.

I don't see a way to prep for LFR, the only thing we have so far are the regions we are in.

The Mods DO give treasure rewards... but don't see any portability for LFR
I tend to agree, and having the regions does nothing because we can all play mods from any region with pc's from any region, as I understand it.

I am thinking that I would let them create pc's using the standard point by system from the 4E PHB that I think closely fits to whatever LFR will be (probably 28 point buy). I also figure if we use things straight from the new PHB and DMG then at the very worst the players will be able to have a pc that they can recreate for LFR minus the magic items they earn from the preview mods.

Any other thoughts?
I recommend being generous in character creation rules. We played them with the Pregens and for two TPKs.

Now admittedly one of those was due to extreme bad luck with the d20s but those two modules are tough -and for the most part it's more fun to win :D
I'd be damn careful allowing the players to create their own characters before the LFR creation rules are released. Imagine a situation where someone follows your instructions, and yet their character is in violation of the rules when they come out. Do they then have to drop the character?
I'd be damn careful allowing the players to create their own characters before the LFR creation rules are released. Imagine a situation where someone follows your instructions, and yet their character is in violation of the rules when they come out. Do they then have to drop the character?

It would be completely irrelevant because they won't have played any LFR yet.

he's talking about people creating their own characters for a 4E preview module -not and LFR module nor one that will ever be an LFR module as I understand it.
Timlagor is correct. Those adventures are preview adventures and playing them does not get you any reward usable in the LFR campaign (not directly anyway - although people can always decide to give promo cards away) nor would that character be in any way official. Off course, you can create a character and use that character in LFR (assuming it follows the correct rules), but it would be as if that character never played the previews.

Note: If you want to go that way, stick to the PHB rules. Differences from those basic rules are likely to be small.

Pieter Sleijpen
LFR Global Administrator.
I fully understand all of the above statements and will do my best to convey those facts to any players that chose to play. Here is my plan.

I will let them create their own pc's using only the PHB and the published appropriate point buy system.

They will be told that these will in no way be official LFR pc's but it is a good time and place to begin to create the pc concept and see how things work. Then when the RPGA publishes the Character Creation rules the players will have a character concept in hand that already fits withing 4E and then it is just going to be a matter of re-creating that character making any necessary changes.

I will probably not even provide access to the "magic items" at the conclusion of the two preview mods unless they will be able to keep the items and I don't see that happening. Why give them something that they will have loose.
Sorry, my bad.

It was an assumption based on an incomplete read of the post, and the fact that this is the LFR board.
You should definitely give them the items if they manage to achieve victory in teh first module: I recommend you run Escape first... that way they have a reasonable chance of victory ;)
You should definitely give them the items if they manage to achieve victory in teh first module: I recommend you run Escape first... that way they have a reasonable chance of victory ;)

Reasonable chance of victory he says....

I ran Escape from Sembia over memorial day weekend 6 times. The only tables I didn't TPK or have several character deaths were the ones I allowed to use Keep on the Shadowfell characters and allowed them to level after the first fight.

Still a fun mod though, and people enjoyed themselves despite the deaths.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
Only the final fight is really nasty and it is possible to win if you go at it right. One can also allow (/encourage) people to take a long rest at appropriate points.

but yeah.. they're both very tough indeed -I didn't say it would be easy!
...Scalegloom however requires extreme good luck as well as good judgement to win (or a very very nice GM who plays the baddies badly ..with only very good luck and judgement :D)
Ok guys I wanted to relay a problem and ask a question about Prev-1. I ordered and downloaded it but the full adventure is not there just the 1st 2 pages. Who do I contact to get the remainder of the module? We are slated to run it on the 21st.
Sorry if this sounds condescending but its best to check the basics first - have you got the most recent version the acrobat reader?

Kithran
Luruar POC
The files have been updated very recently, and are no longer the same ones distributed for D&D XP.

Escape from Sembia is re-formatted and pretty.

Scalegloom Hall pretty much just says "run Kobold Hall from the DMG".

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

The files have been updated very recently, and are no longer the same ones distributed for D&D XP.

Escape from Sembia is re-formatted and pretty.

Scalegloom Hall pretty much just says "run Kobold Hall from the DMG".

Thanks. Yeah I wasnt running the mods just ordering and downloading them. So I didnt want to read them at all. So I just noticed it said to run it from the DMG.

And yes Tim I have acrobat 8.0.
Timlagor is correct. Those adventures are preview adventures and playing them does not get you any reward usable in the LFR campaign (not directly anyway - although people can always decide to give promo cards away) nor would that character be in any way official. Off course, you can create a character and use that character in LFR (assuming it follows the correct rules), but it would be as if that character never played the previews.

Note: If you want to go that way, stick to the PHB rules. Differences from those basic rules are likely to be small.

Pieter Sleijpen
LFR Global Administrator.

*points at Pieter*

"This guy knows stuff. We should listen to him!" *nods*
Sign In to post comments