Outside Home Region Play

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so the word on the street is that you can play in any region, regardless of real world location.

Can you play in multiple regions with the same character? I don't know the method of limiting play (I hear there won't be time units), but is it possible to sit down at Table A, play with your character in Waterdeep, and then move to Table B, and play with the same character in Aglarond?

I'm sure these sorts of questions will be answered by the campaign standards when they become available - but I'm asking now because of Gencon registration. Is it advisable to sign up for several different region adventures with the same character? Or will I be expected to have a new character from that region for each table I sit down at?

Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated, as I sit down to the wonderful task of deciding what LFR games I'll be playing at Gencon.
Generally speaking, you can play any character in any region with no campaign limitation. If you want to limit your own PC travels for "story reasons," you can certainly do that.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
It seems pretty clear that you will have to play in multiple regions plus core modules in order to reach a suitable level to play the second set of regional adventures.

Aside from as-yet-undescribed specials and the possibility of interactives/regional specials, everything that has been said so far, and everything that has been hinted or can be extrapolated from what has been said, strongly suggests that regions are almost entirely an administrative creation and do not limit play in any way, shape, or form.

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

(Sneaky gnome ninjas...)

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Alright, thanks for the info. I wondered about this, as I saw that the second adventures per region were for character levels 4-7. . .
You know, that *could* always mean that the first module gives you enough XP to level to Level 4...

Or that the adventure was written for APL 4-7, which (in theory extrapolated from LG) allows a band of Level 2s to play in it..

I just wish we knew how many adventures, on average, do we need to play (1 in-region + X number of out-of-region) to get to play the second adventures..
Generally speaking, you can play any character in any region with no campaign limitation. If you want to limit your own PC travels for "story reasons," you can certainly do that.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

Oh yeah? Nice!

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

Would it be safe to assume we can play out of region with no penalties or additional costs, as with TUs in LG?

Lee
Yes. That's what I meant by "no campaign limitation." Until the final rules are created and approved, there may be some exceptions or changes, but for the most part play is wide open.
Yes. That's what I meant by "no campaign limitation." Until the final rules are created and approved, there may be some exceptions or changes, but for the most part play is wide open.

Thank you, I thought that is what you meant but, I have learned to peek behind terms like "generally speaking". Some folks don't consider softer forms of limiters like additional TU costs as limits so I wanted to clear the air.

Lee
No problem. Understand that very little is set in stone right now, at least not any stone that I am aware of. I hate to speak in absolutes when anything could change, and I don't want some of the less understanding folks who frequent "teh InterWeb" quoting me chapter and verse if there are changes or variances.
So, is there an expected level progression in LFR then? I haven't seen any information about these 'second band' adventures yet, but from this thread I'm given to understand that the adventures will be for levels 4-7.

Does second band refer to something analogous to an APL in Living Greyhawk? Does it mean that all adventures in a second released set will be level 4-7, or will we get more support for levels 1-4?
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
As of right now, the first batch of adventures (Q3 2008) will all support levels 1-4. That means your character would need to be those levels to play, probably. So there really isn't APL anymore. If you have a character in that range, you can play that adventure. We are looking at 17 rounds of adventures AT THE VERY LEAST. Most likely there will be other play opportunities.

It is very likely that the second batch of adventure (Q4 2008) will support levels 4-7. So that would be another 15-17 rounds of adventures, again AT THE VERY LEAST.

Anyone who plays even half of those first 17+ rounds of adventures with one character will most likely be able to play in the next batch. The subsequent releases' level bands will likely be determined after HQ takes a look at the play numbers and sees where things are needed.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin
Ok, based on current Insider info, the XP required for level 4-7 is 5k5 to 13k (10 encounters of charatcers' level to gain a level)

Thus is about 8 games, you should get more than 5k5 xp, a level per 2 games or so.

Ok, Shawn, I know, we shouldn't read too much into what you're saying till everything's in stone. But we have to have something to use our time on...
I'd like to urge the PTB(tm) to (broaden and) make the bands overlap more if they possibly can. It's not such an issue when people can just start a new character to be at the right level but if an 11th level character can't play at the same table as a 13th level it's going to cause major headaches.

[and while I'm urging: if we must have upkeep please make it a one significant figure amount]
As of right now, the first batch of adventures (Q3 2008) will all support levels 1-4. That means your character would need to be those levels to play, probably. So there really isn't APL anymore. If you have a character in that range, you can play that adventure. We are looking at 17 rounds of adventures AT THE VERY LEAST. Most likely there will be other play opportunities.

It is very likely that the second batch of adventure (Q4 2008) will support levels 4-7. So that would be another 15-17 rounds of adventures, again AT THE VERY LEAST.

Anyone who plays even half of those first 17+ rounds of adventures with one character will most likely be able to play in the next batch. The subsequent releases' level bands will likely be determined after HQ takes a look at the play numbers and sees where things are needed.

Shawn
LFR Global Admin

It doesn't seem like that supports the players who like to swap characters around frequently or who will be eager to try out a lot of classes and roles, at least not initially. On the other hand, I can see how not breaking things down into APLs could help the campaign staff kick out those first modules far more quickly though.

If it comes down to the necessary steps needed to get the campaign moving in the first year, I guess that's OK. Having to play somewhere close to half of all the first wave modules with one character just to be able to participate in any of the second wave modules feels a little weird though.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
I don't know if you can answer this or not, but will there be any kind of benefit to playing within your region or is it strictly for the admins?

I don't really care either way, I'm just curious.
No final word on that yet.
No final word on that yet.

Cool, thanks for the quick response!