An Idea for the Economy of LFR: Gold and Access

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Economy article provided a lot of very interesting information. Two significant morsels of information:

1) A character can create an item of his level or lower.
2) Items sell back for 1/5 cost

The first tells us that item access should only be an issue for higher-level items; a character should be able to make/buy any item of his level or lower, assuming it is legal in the campaign.

The second is more interesting, as it suggests the LG model of "sell everything back for 1/2 cost and then rebuy" will not work as well for the 4th edition economy. Looking at how often magic items are granted using the parcel system: A party of 4-6 PCs will find 4 magic items, a bunch of gold, and maybe some healing type potions per level.

The idea I came up with would be to allow at each level (assuming an AR system, on the AR a character levels) to purchase one magic item that character found during the previous level at a discount, as if that item was one that was found during adventuring instead of purchased with gold. Perhaps there should be a place on the AR next to the "Leveled?" checkbox to fill in the chosen item and the AR where the item was found. Perhaps a character could also purchase one level-appropriate healing potion per level (or every other level?) at this discount.

I guess this does assume something along the lines of an AR system for LFR. I know Shawn Merwin has said multiple times that he wanted to stick to the core rules as closely as a living campaign would allow, and I think the system i proposed tries to do that.
I would have voted to adopt this system no-questions-asked, but you spelled my name wrong. So I'll have to vote against it. :-p

Shawn
It is not at all clear that a PC can craft any item of their level or lower. All we know is that they can only craft items that are their level or lower.

In any case there will inevitably be whole hoardes of items that aren't suitable for LFR in books published pretty soon. The publication of ill-considered material has accelerated rather than slowed throughout 3.5 so universally open access is not going to be a viable policy.
[and WotC doesn't even want to make every item 'balanced' -they are trying to throw out ideas at different power levels that GMs can then choose to take advantage of or not]
Whatever system will be used for treasure/magic items access, I would advocate making crafting rules exactly the same as buying (no benefits, no penalties). Crafting was a mess in LG.

Gomez
In any case there will inevitably be whole hoardes of items that aren't suitable for LFR in books published pretty soon. The publication of ill-considered material has accelerated rather than slowed throughout 3.5 so universally open access is not going to be a viable policy.

I didn't suggest universally open access; the "assuming it was legal in the campaign" stipulation was meant to suggest a "banned items" list in the style of a D&D Campaigns game. If a book has been okayed, the item is not banned (and your level is equal to or higher than the item's level) you should have no trouble acquiring it, either by crafting or finding it to purchase.
Sign In to post comments