Special's etc

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry if this has been raised before.

Will there be special's and delves like there were in LG? Similiar to the core special's found at DDXP / Gen Con etc. It was definitely a draw for me to come over when I was playing LC, and I hope that the time honored tradition of the Dangerous Delves continues on.

Also on a side note. Will the adventures set to premiere in August be available for home play or convention play if certain things do not happen? Just wandering when I'm gonna my first real fix of convention 4e play.

Skip
-Pot Stirrer. -Because I can. Co-Author Neth 3-3 Seek and Destroy. (Now with 10% more diplomacy!) Author ELTU 4-3 Minutes to Midnight (Waiting on Release) ABSO 4-2. (I really am working on this I promise!)
Will there be special's and delves like there were in LG?

There will be Specials for Living Forgotten Realms. The Delve that ran at DDXP is separate from LFR, but I am quite sure they will continue to run at larger conventions.

Will the adventures set to premiere in August be available for home play or convention play?

Absolutely. One of the concepts we have tried to keep in mind when designing the campaign (which is an ongoing process) is complete access. We want people to be able to play everything, as much as possible, regardless of location. Almost every adventure will be playable anywhere regardless of when or where it premieres.
Awesome!
Thanks for the helpful insight. Here is anther question. will the RPGA be adapting rules to once again allow for the 3 man table? Or do we need to have the 4 + judge.

Also when looking at play and style, with the insinder there is the campaign maper. is it going to be acceptable play for LFR if three people are at home with the DM and a fourth player is there via laptob / webcam to play through the table program we will have access to via our monthly fee?

Just trying to determine if I need to invest in more leadership to attract one more minion to my small growing of players to successful run rpga events.

Skip
-Pot Stirrer. -Because I can. Co-Author Neth 3-3 Seek and Destroy. (Now with 10% more diplomacy!) Author ELTU 4-3 Minutes to Midnight (Waiting on Release) ABSO 4-2. (I really am working on this I promise!)
will the RPGA be adapting rules to once again allow for the 3 man table? Or do we need to have the 4 + judge.

I am not aware of any plans to change from the current 4-6 players and 1 DM table.

is it going to be acceptable play for LFR if three people are at home with the DM and a fourth player is there via laptob / webcam to play through the table program we will have access to via our monthly fee?

Another credo that we have been trying to live by with the creation of this game is "do not tell people how to play their games." I am not aware of any restrictions that are going to be placed on play location.
While I'm glad to see specials/delves are continuing, I'd like to see something else to pull people to conventions. I mean, I like conventions a great deals (for the people, the games, the atmosphere) so I'd love to keep finding excuses to drag myself and the lady friend along to them. Unfortunately, if all there is is the special (which is available for home play later), then I can't really justify spending upwards of several hundred dollars for one game. Not as a student (which should be changing in six months or so...)
There may be some other things to pull people to conventions. However, I can say this: if it comes down to a choice between giving exclusive opportunities to convention-goers and excluding a majority of the playerbase from opportunities, the majority of the player base is going to win on most occasions. I love conventions, and I've run my share of them. I will go to conventions because I want to play with the folks who similarly want to experience the game with different players and DMs.

Shawn
I'm a relative living campaign newbie so forgive the simple questions.

1) What is a delve?

2) Since the 2 round event for Gencon is listed as a core SPECIAL, should I try to make sure I get into it for fear I won't have an opportunity to play it at a local con later in the year?

Thanks in advance for the help.
I'm a relative living campaign newbie so forgive the simple questions.

1) What is a delve?

You begin the module in orc infested territory. Roll initiative!

... essentially, they're modules with little or no real plot, designed to be packed to the brim with difficult combat encounters.

2) Since the 2 round event for Gencon is listed as a core SPECIAL, should I try to make sure I get into it for fear I won't have an opportunity to play it at a local con later in the year?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I believe all specials are going to be made available for home play. Don't quote me tho'.

Unlike the other LFR adventures (the regionals and the cores), the LFR specials will have a limited distribution so signing up for the special either at the premiere or later sites should be a priority. Dave has organized a lot of tables at Gencon. I expect that Chris Tulach will make an announcement at some point about how subsequent distribution/availability will be handled and when. Chris has said that the special (as well as the other LFR adventures) will be available for judges to play in slot 0s.

Keith
Keith Hoffman LFR Writing Director for Waterdeep
One thing that was noted (although this is ABSOLUTE speculation and should not be considered official by ANY means) is that if the specials are limited to one per region, then GenCon will most likely be that run for the Waterdeep region...
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
One thing that was noted (although this is ABSOLUTE speculation and should not be considered official by ANY means) is that if the specials are limited to one per region, then GenCon will most likely be that run for the Waterdeep region...

Assuming that GenCon is still held in Indiana, there is no reason to assume that adventures held there will be limited to Waterdeep. Adventures from anywhere can be played anywhere. Adventures from multiple regions may premier at GenCon.

It is likely that any regional specials will premier in-region, but core specials, not associated with any one region, can also premier anywhere, and are more likely for the big cons like GenCon.
Assuming that GenCon is still held in Indiana, there is no reason to assume that adventures held there will be limited to Waterdeep. Adventures from anywhere can be played anywhere. Adventures from multiple regions may premier at GenCon.

It is likely that any regional specials will premier in-region, but core specials, not associated with any one region, can also premier anywhere, and are more likely for the big cons like GenCon.

That wasn't quite what I was trying to say, although I admit I wasn't clear. I was making an assertion based off of known speculation (again, I have no way to confirm any of this except for the first one):

1. Core Specials exist.
2. They are likely to have a small release pool.
3. It is possible that this release pool is based on regional boundaries.

This being the case, IF the first Core Special is run at only one convention in each region, then players in Waterdeep who are not near other regions should be sure to play it at GenCon, because that convention is within the geographical boundaries of Waterdeep, and the odds of it being released again in Waterdeep are lower than the odds of it being released in other regions...

I hope that makes more sense than my previous post.
John du Bois Living Forgotten Realms Writing Director, Netheril story area Follow me on The Twitter: @JohnduBois Follow my presence on The Intertubes: johncdubois.wordpress.com
Sign In to post comments